10 of My Pet Peeves

Everyone has those certain things that just make them tic. They make you mentally scream, "why?" while simultaneously giving yourself a pep talk about how to calm down and about how these things don't matter a single bit. Well, today I'm giving myself a break from my "calm pep talk" and letting myself just vent, because these things seriously annoy me. Maybe my pain can bring some awareness to society so that these annoyance just flit away. Speaking of awareness...

1. (Insert some sort of cause here) awareness month promotions

Listen, I'm all for giving money to charities and researching medical infirmities. Also, to give you some perspective, I have a parent that has battled cancer, so I'm not immune to these types of promotions. HOWEVER, I see absolutely no point in having some arbitrary cause month, when I don't think it "causes" anyone to really add money to research the disease, nor do I think people really are affected by us promoting these month assigned causes.

What I do see, however, is the NFL wasting millions of dollars decking their players out with pick shoelaces, arm bands, shoes, etc. costing them thousands of dollars? Instead of promoting an awareness month, why don't you just donate all the money you spend on pink memorabilia to cancer research or have the players host a fundraiser? Ultimately, the people who are going to care the most about ALS, breast cancer, epilepsy, etc. are the people who have watched someone actually struggling with this. You're not getting new followers to the cause by wearing pink. Everyone else just goes on living their lives as they were until they are impacted directly.

2. People putting coins on top of the bills already in your hand

Maybe this isn't a big deal and I'm just a nit-picky person, but doesn't this slow us down? If you give me both in one hand, the coins are sliding all around and falling on the floor and I have to deal with this mess to separate them. Just put bills in one hand and coins in the other and our lives will be so much better.

3. Watching people be mean to servers/workers

NOTHING gets me more ticked off than seeing someone be demanding, rude, or inconsiderate to a worker. I'm sorry, who made you queen of the earth that you're going to ream out the 16 year old at Chic Fil A who forgot to give you a spoon in your bag. Get an actual life. I want all of these people to have an immediate reality check. People are always more important than things.

4. That person at the grocery store who doesn't offer to let you go first in line

Picture this. You are at the store. It's 11PM on a Tuesday at a 24 hour Walmart. You went to grab some Nyquil for your dad who is feeling under the weather. There is only one lane open at this time. A woman with a cart to the brim gets to the line at the same time as you and doesn't offer to let you go first. She just swoops in there with her three month supply of hot chocolate and mac and cheese and starts loading her stuff up when you only have one item to buy. I will never understand.

5. Moochers

I love you, but I asked you 3 minutes ago if you wanted fries. You said no. I assumed that was the answer. Please do not pick at my fries now. I got them because I wanted them. I don't want to share. Other things in this category: (1) borrowing clothes without asking, (2) not coming to class and always asking for my notes, (3) never having money on the spot and asking to "pay me back" but then never paying me back, etc.

6. Chewing loudly/chewing with mouth open (or any combination of the two)

There is nothing more off-putting then someone chewing with there mouths open and on every chomp smacking his lips together. Blech.

7. Home Birth

DISCLAIMER: I know that this is a personal choice. I will always support a women's freedom to choose where her baby is born. However, that doesn't mean that I will ever stop being frustrated with home birth. You are putting your baby and its life at risk (not to mention your life) for no viable reason. The only pro-home birth reasons I hear are wonky reasons like, "I don't want my baby being born in a sterile environment". A baby being born in a sterile environment is better than a baby being born dead. If my mother had tried a home birth, I'm not sure if she or I would be alive right now.

8. Inconsiderate/Dangerous Drivers

If I obviously slow down to let you in or I stop to let you cross an intersection, a little wave of thanks would be appreciated. Also, don't swerve into my lane with no blinker so that I have to slam on my brakes. Please and thank you.

9. Extreme picky eaters

I'm not talking about people who don't eat mushrooms or anchovies (as far as I'm concerned both of those ingredients can burn in the depths). I'm talking about that one person who doesn't like cheese because of the texture and potatoes because they're mushy. I once knew someone who didn't like bread. What? It is extremely hard for me to go out and get lunch with you because you have no place at which you like anything. Also, I don't believe you. I don't know what kind of trauma you went through as a kid, but I don't believe that all that tastes good to you is peanut butter and mandarin orange chunks. Also kind of attached to this group are people who don't eat gluten (who have no reason not to eat gluten) and then proceed to lecture me every time I see them on the woes of me eating some pasta.

10. Gossipers

I don't enjoy talking about people negatively. So I hate it when that's all someone talks about. Come on. We're intelligent people right? We can have a normal intelligent conversation without discussing someone negatively? Weather, sports, school, kids, beliefs, anything but this.

Please feel free to share your pet peeves with me below!

confusedgirl239 is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 14

2, 3, 5, 6, 8 and 10 are annoying. I don't understand why the rest annoy you.

You might want to do some research on the birth at home thing. There are many theories that what doctors do to the mother, the drugs given and all that, have been and continue to have negative effects on newborns. Comparing the rates of autism with those who go the full-on medical route with those who choose not to is especially shocking, for example.

They aren't forced on you. You can decide most things when giving birth in a hospital.

A doctor is not allowed to give you medication without your consent (as long are you are not unconscious while doctors are trying to save your life). A hospital can literally be a place where you birth your child totally naturally with a midwife that you brought in. However, it does ensure that in an emergency situation you have actual doctors who can respond to your real time complications. If a mother doesn't want to take anti-depressants, she doesn't have to take them.
      Please don't tell me you are anti-vaccine too.

👆🏼👆🏼👆🏼 what she said.

"What I do see, however, is the NFL wasting millions of dollars decking their players out with pick shoelaces, arm bands, shoes, etc. costing them thousands of dollars?"

To be fair, the NFL would be buying all of this stuff anyway - just not in pink. NFL uniforms, towels, etc. are only used one time. Shoes may be used for several months, but are replaced on demand by the players or whenever they look worn - so it's unlikely that they'd wear ANY shoes more than a month or so.

So, really, any additional costs to the NFL are marginal at best - which is one reason why they're so willing to do it: it makes them look like big heros but costs them very, very little to do.

My pet peeve is if someone discovers I'm a Krieger clone.

i find it hypocritical that a woman talks bad about gossipping. but i have to admit my fellow men are terrible gossipers as well, some times worse than you. if you REALLY are against it, i recommend cutting of ties with companies that practice it. this really narrowed down my social circle, but at least i have my consciousness at peace. and YES, there are people so empty and shallow, they have nothing else to talk about... .

I do cut ties with people who gossip and I call my friends out on it who do it. Nothing good ever comes from it.

+1 from me.

I actually agree with all of these!

"However, that doesn't mean that I will ever stop being frustrated with home birth. You are putting your baby and its life at risk (not to mention your life) for no viable reason. The only pro-home birth reasons I hear are wonky reasons like, "I don't want my baby being born in a sterile environment". A baby being born in a sterile environment is better than a baby being born dead. If my mother had tried a home birth, I'm not sure if she or I would be alive right now."

Women used to give birth at home all the damn time as recently as 50 years ago, they usually only went to the hospital if they had complications. Yes, you may now argue that the sharp decline in infant and mother mortality during birth is attributed to more hospital based births, but it's really the increases in medical technology and knowledge that have helped this. Doctors and nurses during a modern home birth can help deliver a baby perfectly fine for relatively cheap.

Meanwhile, hospital births cost around $9k-$15k assuming it is vaginal with few complications, and the woman will pay about $1.5k-$3k out of pocket for this. So really we've actually HURT women more by forcing hospital births as the cultural norm than helping. www.girlsaskguys.com/.../a31857-how-much-does-it-cost-to-give-birth-in-the-us

1. Agreed. Especially Movember. Granted, that is cheap to do (don't shave) but the whole 'awareness' thing is key for big charitable causes like that. They need big corporate sponsors and also the huge gifts that people bequeath them in their wills. For that, they need awareness.

2. This is taught as good practice to cashiers, so you can see and count the change yourself right then and there. Your solution: errr, what did you just buy that you're not holding in one of your hands?

3. Context is key. For every undeserving kid at a fast food place being unjustly yelled at for forgetting the ketchup packet, there's the lazy waitress in a restaurant who you have no seen since she took your order. Your drinks have long been empty, and oh look - here comes your food, 20 minutes late, and cold. Only one other table is occupied. The rest of the time she's been standing at the hostess podium, chatting and playing on her phone.

4. Your time is more important than hers, eh? Who made you queen of the earth?

5. Fuck those people. Especially if they put their grubby hands in those fries without asking.

6. Misophonia sufferers unite. I love my girlfriend, but when the TV show stream pauses and I have to listen to her crunching away in my ear as I am trying to fix it, I want to scream and throw the computer.

7. Baby won't be born in a sterile environment, but you can be damn sure they will be forbidden from playing in the mud, petting dogs or swimming in a lake.

8. Not too much point getting angry, they don't even realise they did it. If they do get let in and don't thank you, just remember it in case you encounter them further down the road. I have seen far more cuntish behaviour from drivers, including ones that would exit the main road onto the frontage road, drive full speed past the stores or houses there, and then try to rejoin the main road further up... leapfrogging some of the traffic jam.

9. I have had to take several things off my repertoire that I really liked because my girlfriend won't touch them. I am not going to accuse her of being picky, because I have met some seriously picky eaters. Hell, my uncle would only ever eat fish and chips at a restaurant, and my grandfather only went to rotisserie chicken restaurants. I will eat anything (except raw onion)

10. Bleh.

"I have seen far more cuntish behaviour from drivers, including ones that would exit the main road onto the frontage road, drive full speed past the stores or houses there, and then try to rejoin the main road further up... leapfrogging some of the traffic jam."

^^ If it's not specifically prohibited, this actually benefits EVERYONE -- including the drivers stuck in the jam -- right up to the equilibrium point where the frontage-road route takes the same amount of time as sitting in the jam.
      Up to that point, the frontage road is just like another lane -- and every car transferred to that "lane" is removed from the jam, thus **easing** the jam by that incremental amount. If no one took the frontage road, you'd sit even LONGER in the traffic.

For exactly the same reason, merges and lane reductions work best when everyone waits until the last possible minute to merge, even though that, too, is mistakenly construed as "rude" by many.

@redeyemindtricks Bit of both. If it's stop and go, it is flagrantly getting ahead of everyone. Using all the available road space is for nothing if you are getting to jump 20 or 30 places up the queue.

If moving, then yes, also move over sooner. Just move over sooner.

The only and only exception is when you are in tight quarters like a parking lot or similar, then you take it in turns like a zipper :)

In fact, here in the city of eternal traffic congestion (Los Angeles), our planners recognize the importance of using all the lanespace -- including off-ramps that continue back onto the freeways -- and have even erected signage TELLING drivers to use this extra space.
      farm2.static.flickr.com/.../...3831_7c29354108.jpg

Very good take - Of your list, being mean to servers, mooching, chewing loud or mouth open, picky eaters and gossipers are the ones that would annoy me the most.

1- the NFL and anyone can donate all they want, but way more money can and is generated and donated if promoted to the public. Also, they buy that stuff from cancer research organizations, which go into the research, so your statement is pretty contradictory and hypocritical

2- I can understand that, but that's a pretty big 1st world problem 😂. Just slide the change into the hand and then hand them the bill. That's how it's supposed to go

I can agree with the rest, although some are pretty out there

As for 9, it's not always that simple. I don't know how common it is, but I'm a picky eater. I'all try most stuff. But there are certain textures I can't physically eat. Like, if I eat mashed potatoes, I immediately throw up in my mouth... and guess who has to swallow throw up? 😖

My list is exactly that, mine. I wasn't trying to garner comments on all of my list, but rather to encourage a spirit of others sharing their pet peeves.

As for 1-->Show me some statistics and maybe I'll change my mind. Also, your argument is that they are buying memorabilia from cancer organizations and then that money goes into research. However, someone is paying the overhead costs for the physical memorabilia. More money could be donated if those overheard costs were eliminated and just an outright donation was made. Either way, you are entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to mine.

I don't have anything against people having some food likes and dislikes. However, if that person's pickiness continuously affects where we can go for lunch. If you can't find anything on the menu (at a normal place, like olive garden or Chilis) that is a problem.

Anyway, thanks for your feedback :)

Oh, more we're getting juicy... I'm not gonna do the research, though. I'm a lazy duck fuck 😂. But given that the NFL is a multi billion dollar league and on an average week, has 66% of america watching on tv, supplement that with the fact that breast cancers is a fairly common type of cancer and I'll promise that there's a revenue spike... Before 2014, I would've agreed with you after the scandal over it (which I can only find articles from 2013) 😑

Oh yeah. Most of the people don't donate. Shit, I'm not donating, but someone will. Most purple don't buy it donate any given product. But they're looking for the 1/10 who will

I also don't really care to continue this conversation

Also the problem with the NFL and doing fundraisers and shit, especially with players, despite having a ton of players, most players are unrecognizable, ironically... Even the stars. And there's not that many of them. Plus, it's very corporate, which I (nor most people) like. It's definitely easier to do it their way, than say, the NBA, which is a players league

Number 2 and 4 are the literal definition of 1st World Problems lol

I didn't have time to read you whole myTake, but I had to read your #1 item because this is something that's bugged me for years. I watch a lot of football, and every year the NFL does their "pink" thing it makes me wonder the same thing that you wonder about: Why don't they donate all the money they spend on pink special equipment (and make no mistake, that stuff is expensive) to basic research that would actually benefit breast cancer patients? This is an example of what's called "virtue signalling." The NFL (and a lot of these pink ribbon groups) seem to be less interested in actually fighting the disease than in promoting how "aware" they are. Spare me.

Ugh I know. It's a show to try and make yourself look good. People want to seem "caring" and "supporting" of others without actually doing anything. You know what would be caring and supporting to a cancer patient? Actually physically taking time out of your day and helping them do life tasks that are hard for them. Or, you can donate money directly to research or some other organization that intentionally aid cancer patients and their families.
      Also, I'm not sure I believe that the "awareness" can really qualify as such. We had the ice bucket challenge for ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease). How many of those people really know what disease ALS is, what it's symptoms are, how debilitating it is, etc? Contrarily, how many of them just threw some ice on their head to show "support"?

I agree with you!

I won't hate one the person with the stack of groceries. They have as much right to go first as you. Also, the reason for all those groceries is for her family who is waiting for her at home and the fact that she had to go to the store for food for them late at night seems to me more important than NyQuil. But I do see that she could have just let you go first and you wouldn't take as much time.

It's really hard to judge someone when you don't know what's going on in their lives.

Top Three

3: ill mannered people
    They just don't know "excuse me" or "please"! That one pisses me off!

2: people putting others down
    People are hurt when they're gossiped about.

1: blocking Jesus out of their lives
    Anyone who hates Jesus is bound for everlasting punishment. Fire, weeping and gnashing of teeth!

What's wrong with saying excuse me? How else do you get somebodies attention? Or are you talking about people who say excuse me like when you offended them?

What Girls Said 7

That fucking gif XD

I dont know wherr you found that but it is the best little gem i have ever come across XD

Lol I thought so too. I just looked up something like, "eating with mouth open" on google, and that gem came up. I was laughing so hard haha

"4. That person at the grocery store who doesn't offer to let you go first in line
    Picture this. You are at the store. It's 11PM on a Tuesday at a 24 hour Walmart. You went to grab some Nyquil for your dad who is feeling under the weather. There is only one lane open at this time. A woman with a cart to the brim gets to the line at the same time as you and doesn't offer to let you go first. She just swoops in there with her three month supply of hot chocolate and mac and cheese and starts loading her stuff up when you only have one item to buy. I will never understand."

You would if you had 5 people ask to CUT in front of you, you sure wouldn't do it anymore. Selfish people in the world, so I don't do it anymore.

Except I didn't ask. Even if I had, how is it selfish for me with my one item that will take 30 seconds to ask to go first. I could be sitting behind you for like 10 mins.

• 28d

NO, you need help that you think one person's time is more important than another person's time. 30 seconds of my time is JUST AS IMPORTANT as yours is, so if you aren't first with one item and one lane open that you have to wait 10 -15 minutes, SO THE FUCK WHAT BITCH, I don't give a flying fuck. That's why people won't let you in front of them, because your mind is *********ONLY CONCERNED WITH YOUR SELFISH SELF************!

• 25d

Just let them ahead and move on with the day

I'm a picky eater because I have ARFID. I really cannot bear to eat some foods, some that are really common. I'm getting better but it's something I've had since I was 2. Nothing happened to me, I just stopped eating most foods. I may never know why but the thought of some can send me into a panic. If someone I know has a huge problem with that, don't ask me to go anywhere to eat. I won't make anyone skip a meal over it, we can go wherever, I just won't eat. But what I put in my body is my choice.

I never said that what anyone puts in their body wasn't there choice. I respect those choices. I'm just saying that it is a pet peeve of mine when someone likes almost nothing. However, if you've been diagnosed with a disorder, I suppose there is some grace for that. I would like to mention, however, that ARFID is categorized as an eating disorder which is linked to mental illness. I'm not saying that's bad, or trying to put you down at all. But, have you been talking to someone about it? Anything that impacts your life that much is worth looking into possible solutions or therapies :). Also, I'm a huge believer in counseling/therapy. Everyone could benefit from it at some point in their lives.

Yes, I've had a therapist for over a 1/3 of my life. I've had ARFID for years so I know how to handle situations in which I may be faced with foods I can't eat. We don't know why I hate some many foods but I have mild OCD and intrusive thoughts that force me to get grossed out by a lot of food and food related things. I also can't handle washing dishes that aren't mine, it's like a phobia. It's just something I've learned to deal with.

Great take. #4 always pisses me off like wtf. Every single point is great tho.

People have been doing home births for years.

Cool. A lot of them are mine too!

I hate when people copy my (school) work and when I do something nice for someone, they don't even utter a "thanks".

Oh you're one of THOSE people. Why do you care if they copy your work? Sure I get that if they never do something it's annoying, but at least they'll fail the test and probably redo the grade.

@bente2 that's something you want. That is your choice. I'm suggesting that (1) you can certainly "discover yourself" and be social and do your own work, (2) your education is meaningful to you and your future (3) you are being academically dishonest by stealing other people's work.
      I would say to you, if you don't want to do your work, why just not do it and take the fall/dock in points. You don't have to do it if you feel like it's unimportant, but that doesn't mean you have to copy another person's work. Just take the hit.

😂😂😂 sure bb
      I skipped a grade. Most things come naturally to me. I don't have faith in our education system because it has failed time and time again. Doing the lowest, I would still be able to make a lot of money. I'm currently at a high level, I jist don't want to do anything and that works for me, has been working for almost five years now.

I would like to enroll into either art or law, and I will succeed. While you're stuck at your day job in an office somewhere, I'll be happy as fuck doing what i love. That's more important than education. I'm done with this convo, and done with your unwilling to share asses. Bye