Why do girls take so long to text back?

seriously , sometimes its reply in 2 seconds, then 5 hours. girls always loaf on texting... why?

What's Your Opinion?

0/2000

What Girls Said 21

What Guys Said 9

• Selected as most helpful

lots of reasons:

1) I really am literally busy...doing something at the moment...shower...finishing up a paper...gone out to get groceries for my mom...cleaning...eating dinnner with family...listening to ipod...working out, watching tv inside but my phone is in my room...or who knows still inside my purse...i could be at work...im not allowed to have my phone on me at work...i work in retail.

2.) if I do have my phone on me...ill get his text and I could need some time to think it over of what to say or reply...like if I wanna impress him and stuff...or flirt with him without being too obvious...sometimes ill get his text...and ill immediately call up my bffs and tell her out of happpinesss and joy and discusss everything he wrote emoticons, punctuation and everything and analyze it all and re-read it over and over again with euphoria, and prepare wisely of what I am going to reply next...lol...its called being a girl.

• i emailed my friend today and she took like 10 hours to email back

• depends on the girl and how busy she is. I know I often get back as soon as I can because I like to have things done on time.

• Because, you may not be aware of this, but we do not sit in front of our phone, praying you'll test us. We have our lives, and sometimes we are too busy to reply straight away, plus our phones sometimes are on silent. Or you wrote so confusing thing we have to consult our friends/think about what to reply ;p

• Busy live, or she's probably fingering herslef lol jk

• Because we have busy lives. Guys have done that to me before too so don't complain.

• I think this guy is either having a bad day, or just has not so good luck with the opposite sex. Sometimes people are not staring at their phone waiting for the next message. Maybe they were busy doing something, or they just didn't see a reason to answer the question you were posing. Or perhaps the ringer on the phone was off. If they didn't think you were worth the time, then they wouldn't answer AT ALL. The fact that they even answered means in the very least, they consider it worth their time to answer you back. People do get distracted in the middle of texting, it happens to me all the time

• for me it really depends on who I'm talking to.

but generally I just don't like texting all that much

and you can't generalize all girls into that category

because guy'll do that too

• that's funny 'cause guys do this all the time. I was having this back and forth two hour convo with a guy on two second replies and mid-question, he stops texting. he replied like two days later and I didn't even remember what the hell he was talking about anymore.

i will admit that I get distracted or don't feel the need to reply...if I really like a guy, I might wait a little bit to text him so I don't look desperate, lol. depends on the situation.

• uhhh, as long as I've been alive it's been guys who take forever to reply. girls are more attached to their phones and we communicate more, so I don't know. when a guy doesn't respond it could mean nothing, but if a girl doesn't, I'd be careful and make sure everything is still cool between the two of you.

• well personally the more I like the guy the longer I take to text. If he is flirty like someone said sometimes I think too hard I don't want to say something stupid lol or just dn't know what to say! over think it I guess. but usually I wait like half hour to an hour to respond, not longer. Unless my phone is on vibrate I don't hear it, or I am doing house work or working out so I'll answer like 3 or 4 hours later. Really depends if she does it all the time than I feel like it's on purpose unless she is one of those people who don't look at their phone allot.

• don't take it too hard, there fella. there's a whole plethora of possible reasons for a girl not replying--- could be busy; could have left the phone hanging about; could be spiteful and not return cause you upset her somehow (lol), phone could have gotten rolled over by a car! can never be certain! :)

• Sometimes...I just leave my cell phone in the other room, while I watch a movie or sth.

At times, I just forget about it...it really isn't that much of an addiction for me [using the cell phone all the time-like most of the people I know].

At times I'll have it close to me so I'll hear it ringing or alerting me I got a message, then I'll be able to respond immediately. When I know I got a message I like to respond as soon as I can so that I don't forget later on about it...

• Personally, when I'm at home I sometimes leave my phone lying around and don't get the text for a long time. When I'm out and about I usually have it on vibrate in my pocket and usually don't feel it. So that's why it may take some girls a long time to text back.

• Thats stupid

lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! get it??

• I'm fliexible and its not really necessary when someone send a reply after they get a text.. Not all girls are not who ALWAYS texts back. Patience is important too.

• once again, you can't group like this. Tell your brain not to do this! Not all women take a long time to text back. To women: not all men take a long time to text back.

I had a guy that was into me. He took a long time for him to text back but it didn't mean he wasn't into me any less. I also had a guy that I was FWB with and he ALWAYS texted back as soon as I sent the message.

I myself am the same way. I ALWAYS text back promptly unless I phsycially am not able to.

I all the depends on the person. Sorry you've had some back luck...

• I always thought that it was the guy but if I don't text a guy back right away it can be because I'm doing something else and don't have my phone with me at the moment or maybe I'm thinking about what to say because what you say can come off wrong during a text sometimes. Sometimes I will get a text late which requires him to recieve my response late. I'm not sure why that happens tho maybe because of different phone providers.

• Well if I'm not busy then I will text back someone right away but sometimes if its a guy that I like or something then I wait like a hour or so because I want them to think I'm busy and have a busy life. Other times I'm working and am not allowed to have my phone on me so I can't get back to that person for a good 8 hours which I really can't help. Just take it with a grain of salt the girl is busy!

• when it takes a girl a while to text back, usually its because she doesn't know what to say, especially if you guys are flirting...other than that I have no idea?

• depends on the girl I personally don't take long to text back in fact the guys usually take forever to reply back well only one guy and he likes me which I don't understand y he takes so long to respond if he really does like me but yea it could always be that she's busy at the time or her phone ran outta batteries or she didn't hear her phone...the only thing that matters is that she eventually responds.

• Honestly, I think it depends on the girl! I always text back super quick, but I have friends that take forever to reply. I can always count on one friend to text me back at least an hour later!

Um... another idea occurred to me though. If you're talking about one girl in particular, then the reason might be because she knows that she can txt you back at any time and that you'll be waiting for it! What I mean is that she has no sense of urgency to text back because she can rely on you to red it when you get it. This is a good thing, but you also have to get her out of her habit of waiting too long. Let her know that you can't stand waiting to long to hear from her because you love talking to her. You might even try giving her a call every once in a while when you know she isn't busy. It's a sweet thing to do and a lot more personal than a text message =)

• That's rubbish I work, go to school, practice guitar, draw assignments, and play video games on a daily basis my texts are never more than 20 min late unless I don't want to reply because I'm pissed or pretending to be distant... Who is busy for 5 hours?

• For some reason as humans we have this fixation with making people wait and not seeming desperate, so we don't text back for a while just to not text back for a while. I really don't know why this is. I mean, I don't consider a girl "desperate" if she texts back right away, but I bet when they wait, you're more excited when they text back right? So there you go. And I criticize the fact that we do these things, but I know that when I text a girl I like and she takes a while to text back, I do the same thing right back! (I may not wait quite as long, but I don't respond right away). I think it's just human nature.

Also, remember, women have purses... large purses. They may have their phone quiet or on vibrate, or just be somewhere loud and not realize they have a message. I don't know about you, but I do not check my phone every 2 minutes, especially if I'm not necessarily expecting a message or call. I wouldn't sweat it. Once you know someone for a while it will stop, but sometimes when relationships are new and exciting, it's good to keep them that way--exciting.

• Depends on who I'm talking to.

Some I don't really know, ehh... could be up to two hours.

Friend, mmm... half hour

Good friend uhhh...5 to 25 min

Girl friend... I try to make as quick as possible. I know patience is a virtue but I don't think anyone likes to wait. I know I dont. So I treat other like I'd like to be treated. Easy enough. Even if I was lazy I'm thoughful enough to know she wouldn't like me to loaf so I get it to anyway.

• 1. she might be busy

2. she doesn't want to seem obsessive or clingy.

3.shes making you wait, so you keep thing about it, and her.

4. your phone didn't send the message.

• Probably because they think about our text too much. or if they're playing hard to get. I'm a guy and it takes me forever to text back cause my phone is old and slow at texting, so the phone a girl has and how much she texts everyone else matters.

But I agree, I hate when girls are trying to play games with guys and take slow on purpose. And when you read girls saying it's only because they're phones not with them, that just means their the type of women that DONT treat their phone like their liver, always attached to it.

if it texts forever to text back, she probably hasn't looked at it, but if it happens a lot she's either uninterested, scared, or thinks too much about what to write back, in my opinion

• women crave attention, its the same with personal ads in the internet.

they place an ad, lotta pics, but seldom respond when men take the time to answer the ad,women just want to know men are paying attention to em, but they really don't care if the guy gets ignored for his efforts.

• It's not just girls,trust me.It's guys too.My friend would complain to me how she would meet a guy and get hyped up and take like 15mins to replay to him and then he would take a heck of a lot of time before he would replay.It happens on both sides,so relax.

It depends on the girl,ur not alone.

Peace!

• I really wish I found this website 6 months ago, I had the same problem !

But I think I've worked it out. Girls like to multi-task. Love it, actually. As you're texting she could be texting or IMing 5 other people, or she could be out/with friends etc etc.

Other factors are her interest in you and/or the conversation topic. When me and the girl I was texting got closer her replies got quicker... You know, priorities and all that.

She may just want to end the conversation or not know what to say.

But however long she takes, NEVER send two consecutive texts. Just don't.

• its called BEING BUSY. and its the only reason to text rather than pick up a phone and make a call.

• I notice that most of the woman here have long response to the question above.This is because the majority of them here take a long time to reply to a text, when in reality most woman can't keep off the phone. So when they see a question like this, they automatically feel guilty because they DO take a long time to text and try and give a legitimate answer as to why they take a long time.It's basically to play hard to get and not seem desperate.She will take long if he does also. Juvenile