10 Shockingly Bad Pieces of Dating Advice Men Give One Another

So I came across this list of shockingly bad dating advice men give one another in Glamour Magazine and thought why not respond to such advice as a woman who could presumably be on the other end of it. I'm sharing my thoughts about the Glamour list, but would be most curious to see how guys feel about it.

1. Wait three days to call her

I think most women know about the whole three day wait thing, and it's stupid for either party to do so *especially* if you totally hit it off on a date. I mean, we live in a world where people send 100 texts to one another every second, so the fact that either of you who went on this date are like antiquated relics from a by gone era who don't know how to operate a phone, is stupid. You like someone, call them and let them know. Game playing is a waste of time.

2. Sleep with as many women as possible

Oh the irony here. I had a guy once complain that 5 was a high number, FIVE for Christs sakes!!! I'm sure you can find a lot of women who would say they want an experienced man, but I don't think anyone man or woman alike wants a whore. If you are 22 and your number is 192, that means you are just plowing through women with no care, probably no respect, and moving on to the next breathing thing. That doesn't translate well in the relationship department. Also, even if you've only ever had the one partner, if you studied well, by the time you get to us, that low number has zero relevance if you can handle your business.

3. Reject a woman to seem powerful

I actually laughed out loud with that one. What is the point of that? It suggests you enjoy going home alone and never going on dates.

4. Ask her out via text

Depends on the girl. Some don't care. I'm old school in that I had parents that raised me to not go out the door when a boy honks his horn at you in the drive, but that he should come to the door and pick you like a gentleman picks up a girl he respects. That's carried on into my adult life. If you're going to ask me out, call me or ask me out in person. In my life though, no one has ever tried to text ask me out, so yeah for humanity and the gentlemen in the world still left out there!

5. Complimenting a woman makes you look weak

Whaaaaaaat? Compliments are like the first step in getting someone interested in you other then like flirting you do with your body language. I do that if I'm trying to get to know a guy or to get him to talk to me. Yeah, this one is pure awful.

6. Men saying, "she's out of your league."

I can almost literally feel the eye rolling going on with this one by guys saying, no, this is true, but is it? If you've ever listened to this advice, by default, you've made it true. If you never ever try with a girl some guy friend tells you is out of your league, how can you know that? And based on what? Honestly if a FRIEND is implying that you are not good enough for someone, maybe you need better friends because if you walk up to that girl and she rejects your charming self, she's not good enough for you, not the other way round.

7. Work more on your body then your relationship.

True if all you want is one night stands, but in a relationship a hot body, but an empty mind, does not a relationship make. It's especially sad when you think the only thing that is important IS your body, but not the relationship or putting any efforts into it.

8. Just don't tell her

Uh, we WILL find out. When you sneak around and try to hide stuff like say you ran into your ex girlfriend who "happened" to stop by after work, and you "happened" to just go out to dinner with her for 4 hours...yeah, fess up or it will blow up and when you do fess up, don't pretend for even a second that if the situation were reversed you wouldn't care.

9. Put her down to turn her on

First, girls know about "The Game." Second, if a woman is weak and has issues and enjoys being insulted and thinks it's sexy, hey, more power to those women, but this is up there with the least sexiest things I can think for a man to do or say to a woman.

10. Straight men shouldn't care about style

Let a guy walk into a room full of ladies with his hair freshly cut, wearing a tailored suit and then tell me how much you shouldn't care about style. It is exhausting to have to explain to an adult man that there is more to life in the wardrobe department than cargo pants and his college T-shirt. Some guys are of the impression that slovenly and hanging out on the couch gear works for every situation in life. A girl wants a guy who can dress up on a date to a nice restaurant, or put together a simply outfit, like a button down, some Chinos, and a stylish shoe. In the same way brushing your teeth, getting a shave, taking a shower, shows you care about yourself, so too does putting SOME effort from time to time into your wardrobe.

1150

Most Helpful Guy

• Please share a link to this article. I can't believe the TRASH this magazine has just put out if this is all true. Put her down to turn her on? WTF.. Did you mean teasing? CMON with this nonsense.

• Just google the title, should pop right up. Literally there was a show on tv years ago based on "The Game," which encouraged guys to insult women to turn them on. This "dating guru" guy would give the guys an earpiece, and march them into a club, and have them insult women and they showed how it worked so well (of course this is tv, so grain of salt). In reality, it's nonsense, totally agree. This is why these are listed as the BAD pieces of advice, and I think the title should more accurately say, given by "some" men.

• @pavlove Is yr age correct on here? If so, wouldn't you have been... like... 12 years old when that book came out?
      Interesting, I didn't know those boys got that much shelf life out of that whole gig.

Definitely made my own share of profits there... as described in my opinion here
      www.girlsaskguys.com/.../q1897404-has-anyone-offered-you-money-for-sex-if-yes-how-where-does-he-she

• @redeyemindtricks lol it's correct. i live in la though and work in reality tv so i've seen some stuff.

Most Helpful Girl

• Soo these were tips guys gave each other... according to a women's magazine?

This would be a much more interesting take if it was about bad tips a men's magazine gave to their readers.

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 49

• 1. I agree with you on that one. Believe it or not, I hadn't really thought of that one before.

2. I'm Catholic and don't believe in sex before marriage anyway, so... yeah.

3. That's just stupid. No one has ever told me that before. I usually prefer to make the first move anyway, but even if a woman did ask me out or otherwise express her interest (clearly), I'm not going to turn her down if I could be interested just to appear "powerful".

4. Again, that's also stupid.

5. Okay, how... why would ANY man take ANY of this seriously?

6. *Sigh*

7. You have GOT to be kidding me...

8. See comment 6...

9. Only an idiot would believe that this 1) works and 2) is a good idea.

10. *Sigh* I worked in menswear on and off for six years. I specialized in making men look awesome. I myself look awesome in a good suit or nice pair of slacks, button-up shirt, and sport coat. Honestly, I don't mean to sound conceited, but this is something important to consider. Dressing up shows confidence and it shows that what you're doing matters, that what you're doing is important enough to you to put in that extra effort. It's a show of respect.

Does this mean I'm going to put on my best suit for dinner and a movie or for a simple coffee date? No, but at the same time, if I have asked a woman for an hour or two of her time on a Friday evening when she could be doing anything else, I'm going to put SOME effort into showing that I want to get to know her better.

I saw a question here a few years ago. A guy asked if it was okay to weat sweats on a first date. I asked my dad what he thought. He said "only if he wants to be single for the rest of his life."

Sorry men, but like it or not, how you present yourself matters to women. Do yourselves a favor and grow out of this ridiculous and childish notion that stinks of insecurity that good fashion is for gay men only. If you want to keep thinking like this though, fine. I don't mind having less competition.

• 1. I think both men and women get that advice because women tend to not like clingy men.
    2. No. that's not a thing that I have ever heard of by any one. I've heard about getting a girl who is loyal but not about sleeping around. Don't know why women keep making this claim (and seeing as how you got this from a womans magazine, this is what women think men say, not what men actually say)
    3. No, never been stated, the goal is not to go home alone so again, men don't say that.
    4. Nope.
    5. Nope again.
    6. Yeah, men do say that but I don't think its discouraging usually so much as egging them on, getting them into the compatetive spirit to get them to act. Like a dare or what have you.
    7. Nope for the third time.
    8. Never heard that, most people are against cheating so not really a thing, at least not something "men" would say, maybe some douchbags (but then the same can be said of women).
    9. Not really, some have tried this I think the idea being that women want what they can't have but in general? No, this is not advice men give.
    10. not really accurate either, I don't think they focus on style as much but to claim it doesn't matter at all is just inaccurate, this is not advice men give.

In conclusion this is why you don't learn about men from shitty womens magazines and women in general, because neither actually understands men or has any idea how they operate. Just get your information about the opposite sex from the opposite sex, its far more accurate and it won't be a waste of your time as this article was.

• 1) my only rule is I never talk about a second date while on the first date. I have texted a woman from my car in the parking lot asking for that second date even before we both left the parking lot though.
    2) This should never come into play. There is zero reason to ever talk about "the number". NEVER EVER. all you need to know is "do you have an STD?". as long as that is a NO, move on. There is nothing you can do about the number. IT has zero impact on your relationship.
    3) I have never heard that one before ever.
    4) this is a young person thing. However, in the age of online dating, really all you can do sometimes is ask. Many women won't give out a phone number before they meet you. So all I can do is ask on the chat.
    5) I have never once heard any man say that. not once. Women are all about compliments. Men don't need them.
    6) That is a HUGE one. If I see a woman that is out of my league, I stay away. The fact is the "pretty people" of the world live in a completely different world then the rest of us. They get everything handed to them. The better looking a woman is, the more high maintenance and bitchy she is. Since she can have her pick of men, she will just bail on you as soon as she doesn't get her way. Forget about it.
    7) never heard that. Utter nonsense.
    8) Women find out or figure out everything.
    9) That has to be a young person thing. That just sounds assinine.
    10) most straight men simply don't care. I dress the way i like. I never have followed fashion ever. So I certainly won't look stylish ever.

• Anybody who reads glamour magazine is just as uninformed as the guys spewing these "pieces of advice"

• Is this the part where you are insulting me, to try to turn me on, LOL! No, but seriously, I think guys are getting all offended and taking this list personally, but this is a list composed of bad dating advice presumably given by guys who don't know crap about how dating or women work. Why that would personally offend someone who has never done these things or given this advice, is beyond me. Intelligent people read dumb stuff all the time. That doesn't in anyway determine their intelligence. It's like politics... you have to know what the other side is thinking and feeling and doing to know and understand why it is you feel your side is the one that should do or say or believe the way you do.

• The point that I am trying to make is... who cares? It's a magazine lol. The author of this article is probably some feminazi who showers with 3 cats and a gerbil

Moreover... if all this is advice is REALLY that bad... then why are women putting out easier than they ever have in the history of mankind?

• And no lol I don't put down women to turn them on... well only in the bedroom =P

• Well, you seem like your mind is made up on the matter so I wouldn't bother you reading my response but for those lost men who may listen to you...

1) Wait three days until you call her has nothing to do with how hard it is to communicate. It's about the fact that there's an advantage to not coming off as too eager. Of course girls are going to complain about the rule, that's part of it's design--to frustrate. It makes it more of a challenge. Girls go on countless dates and if the guy is always eagerly pouring out how much he is into her it creates no mystery.

2) Yeah, I agree that's stupid and more about getting male attention than even the sex itself.

3) I don't know if this is advice that men give other men. I would say it's advice women give women.

4) I wouldn't get too offended by this. I've gotten a girls number for her to never calls but will text and meet up. young people just prefer texting instead of talking

5) Not weak but it doesn't make her more endeared to you. I tell guys to compliment their girlfriends but don't compliment a girl you just met. I have seen a lot of guys do it and it can be flirty but I think it comes off as cheap flattery until it's given some time.

6) Those guys are jealous and/or they literally think they're telling the truth. trust me girls are the last to hold back their opinions if they're think they're preaching the truth.

7) Makes sense.

8) debatable

9) It's not as black and white as in the game. But anyone with eyes and ears can observe a guy teasing a girl and her giggling and becoming more focused on him. it's just playful but some guys are trying to be cool when they do it and it comes off as very inauthentic.

10) Split on that. Meet girls who like guys with fashion met girls who think any guy with fitted pants is gay

• All these takes with lists in them make me so happy :)

1.) I don't think there should be a rule, but most guys know that calling very soon is a bad idea.

2.) Women generally want experienced guys even if they don't "want" experienced guys.

3.) I have never heard of this one. We reject women we don't like, case closed. This honestly sounds like a cop-out for why some guys don't accept you.

4.) Yea, I agree. It's cowardly.

5.) Complimenting early on does in fact make a guy look weak.

6.) "if you walk up to that girl and she rejects your charming self, she's not good enough for you, not the other way round." This isn't how most girls think so you'll forgive me if my bullshit detector is flaring up right now.

7.) This one is just sad. All attraction starts physically, and how strong that initial burst is definitely counts in the long run.

8.) Agree.

9.) I've found that this generally works, actually.. even with the confident girls.

10.) Agree.

So, my conclusion is the same here as it was for the last MyTake about things guys do. You may consciously want guys to act one way but more often than not, you'll find yourself being insanely attracted to guys who are completely different.

• This sounds like an article written by women for women. I doubt any man was actually asked for his input. I've never given nor received most of this advice. I just think it was a woman's interpretation of her dating life and these are the conclusions she reached.

• 1. I never received or gave any of this advice. It seems pointless. The best piece of advice out there is "Be yourself." Usually if you put a facade to get a girl and it works she''ll only like the facade. Then you'll have to keep up the facade for the remainder of the relationship. Being yourself will take away all that work and stress. It hasn't failed me at all.

2. The calling thing is just dumb. If you like the person talk to him/her. Why wait?

• your advice is just as terrible as whatever magazine you got this from.

Not only that, do you see the contradiction in your thinking for point number 2? I will help you out... because women don't know jack about this subject. I also know you won't accept it as most women don't, so I have prempted that too...

A male, who sleeps with a lot of women doesn't have to listen to this bullshit. Whatever HE is doing is working. All men would do well to seek him out and not this.

• I agree with this article. But with complementing women... there are many girls who would be creeped out by that. If you are a handsome guy yeah they will love it. But if you range from 1-7... risky move. After you've spoken for a while and you get on with good chemistry... yeah it's worth a shot if she is coming across as really friendly.
    I've heard girls say it's awkward to complement them unless you make a small joke about it after.

• Lol you know how I know this isn't true because that's not what we tell each other. It's just what people like you think we do.

This article was most likely written by women for women I highly doubt there were any men involved in it at all.

• My personal advice is this:
    Stop interacting with women because they are trained to hate men. Stop interacting with other people because they could give advice like this.
    Go to work/school, do your job, help people if they ask but never expect them to repay the favor and never talk to them outside of work-related stuff.
    Limit all social interaction to RPG games and the internet as anonymous.

• What is this 1995? I don't think guys do any of this stuff anymore. Maybe the "put her down part" because there will always be jerks and the girls who fall for them. But the rest of this stuff is outdated.

• 9. You know what's hot, watching a girl shut these fuckers down or telling their tales of such glorious denial. That, my dear, is having a brain. Knowing that you are the master over primitive instincts.

• i think 7 is a pretty solid tip... if you´re a fat slob, then this shows that you don´t care a lot about your body or have health issues. so if you want a fit and healthy weight girlfriend, its not a bad idea to work that out first xD

• I feel like most of these are dead on women just don't like hearing the blunt truth about what actually works on them

• Complimenting a women doesn't make you look weak, but if you constantly do it then it's gonna come off as superficial and desperate.

• I'm don't get the "she's out of your league" thing. I'm completely honest when I say that I'm about as physically attractive as dump truck- 6'3'', slightly overweight, and balding. She is definitely way more attractive than me, but that never once entered my mind as a barrier. If anything, shouldn't the perceived beauty disparity add to the thrill of the hunt?

Note: I get validation that society thinks she is out of my league from the bewildered stares of strangers and the covert thumbs up from bros in public. And she didn't get with me cause I'm packing a hammer in my pants or because I have a ton of money or power/authority... I know this because none of those discriptors apply to me.

• That moment when you're a guy and you've never heard another guy give this kind of "advice".

• 1. Balancing act, appearing needy is just as bad as being too distant
    2. Is correct though, it helps guys not focus on one girl so they don't get hurt, because the majority of the time it's a rejection, it's a numbers game
    3. Balancing act, don't outright reject but see point 1
    4. Eh whatever
    5. Balancing act, too many compliments and they lose their value.
    6. If leagues didn't exist I'd be dating a VS angel
    7. Yes personality matters, but looks get you in the door. And it boosts confidence which women love.
    8. That screams a lack of trust on the woman's part more than anything.
    9. Balancing act, a little fun teasing never hurt anyone, unless the person is a very insecure and fragile soul.
    10. Finally something we agree on.

• 1: That's stupid. If she likes you she will like you texting the day after a date.

2: Fuck as many as you want, then lie about your number. Girls do it all the time, why not play the same game. If 22 = 5 for a girl, then it can be the same for a guy.

3: Never heard this one except from idiots.

4: Yeah, not the best. Better do it face to face, though text can work with some girls.

5: Never heard this one. Most guys compliment women all the time. Over complimenting is the problem.

6: There's no leagues, but it's always kind of more "challenging" to approach someone hotter.

7: True. Unless you're dating an idiot or a girl who's using you.

8: Usually cheaters give that "advice". You should never listen to a cheater.

9: It works with many women, cause many women are filled with issues. But they're not the type of women you wanna date. If you just wanna fuck, then it works. If not, then don't do it.

10: Never heard men telling others to not care about style.

• I think "Leagues" exists. If one person makes in a week 5 times what I do in a month, there is no fucking way she is gonna be "Yeah, that sound reasonable".

• @Giacomanzo Maybe, but to be honest, I don't care. If money is what she cares more about instead of my personality, then I'm glad she rejected me.

• Naturally, naturally. But you know, on some extents, if I think it is part of the society.

• 5 hours a week with a diet and you can get a better body than Ryan Reynolds, you aren't sacrificing anything important for it, so why not.

• this is the worst list of advice anyone could give it looks their aim is to make you fail whoever gives this advice dosent know anything about women

• 2 and 4 aren't a big deal, but I agree the rest are trash

• Believing things from a glamour magazine, priceless.

• I find it hard that a magazine actually posted something like this. Its retarded.

• haha I've only heard the "wait three days to call her" one... :P

• Exhibit A on why you shouldn't get your dating advice from a woman's magazine...

• It's not 3 days, it's tommorrow and then a day. And I wait 6 days.

• Some are true, some are false.

• Show more from Guys
    19

What Girls Said 10

• Oh man, this is like elementary/middle school all over again. All that's left is "get your best friend to tell your crush that you like her", which is still more mature than most of these tips.

• Some of these things definitely do happen even today... which is ridiculous.

• I didn't know people actually waited like 3 days to text after a first date lol

• I'd probably move on like "meh, I guess he's not interested." And then after he finally got around to message me, I'd think he's playing games or entertaining other women.

• Some people play mind games. They act like if you text before 3 days after the date then you're needy which is bullshit.

• @bloodmountain1990 I always text before the 3 days lol

• Sound like the Jock back to high school XD
    They wanted to seems cool, powerful and manly.

• Believe me, among some of my guy friends i have heard all except 4 and 10

• The sooner "the game" can go off and die, the better.

• Oh my god who wrote that article?

• you say being manwhores isn't attractive but its the manwhores that usually gather the confidence, smoothness, and skills that wet our panties the most. so what your logical brain advises men comes in contrast with what your reptilian brain is actually attracted to... .

• good one

• I love how dudes are trying to justify this advice. All these tips are complete bullshit. Just admit it guys, if you give this advice you're pretty stupid.