What makes someone 'high maintenance'?

What makes someone 'high maintenance'?
What do you consider high maintenance when it comes to a date or potential partner?
Is it based on behavioural traits, or do you judge it mostly from appearance?

This term seems to be thrown more often at women, but I think it could apply to both genders. Thoughts?

530

Most Helpful Guy

• Physical high maintenance = enjoys the finer things in life, she looks after herself, expects her partner to be “of sufficient quality”, she demands a lot and doesn’t do things by halves. Now if she demands that the guy provides all of this she’s high maintenance, if she can provide this herself and simply expects a guy on her level... well I’d call that wife material but then I’m like that myself, so maybe not applicable to other men who can’t be bothered to keep up with their girl (which is fair enough).

Emotional high maintenance = needy, clingy girl with s princess syndrome. She takes a lot of attention before she is satisfied that you actually care about her, usually incredibly insecure having been spoilt all her life and not facing the harsh reality of life. This girl is deinfitrlt one to avoid... becsuse you can deal with physicall high maintenance but emotional has no resolution.

I judge off appearance first, but then it ends up behind behavioural in the end. The expensively dressed girls attract me a LOT.

Most Helpful Girl

• I think there's kinda 2 ways someone is considered high maintenance; physically and emotionally.

Physically would be that they are really concerned and spend a lot of time and money on their appearance. Need to always follow the newest most fashionable trends. They'll always have their nails, hair, and eyebrows professionally done as well as getting everything waxed. They'll spend hours on their hair and make up every day and do a full face (primer, contouring, highlights, concealer, eyeshadow, fake lashes, eyebrows, lips, blush, everything). They'll probably also have a lot of spa days and get massages and facials and stuff like that. They probably always want to hear how good/pretty/hot/whatever they look and will even ask people if they are just to hear it. They could also be the gym type, always at the gym or working out, and goes jogging every morning. Possibly even get plastic surgery, implants, liposuction, etc. Sometimes they'll even have expensive taste with everything, clothes, shoes, jewelry, bags, cars, food, pets, pet accessories, electronics, everything.

And then emotionally, basically really clingy and needy. Always need to be with you or talking to you. Always need to be told you love them and how much and why you love them. They'll always need to be holding your hand or something when you're together and they love pda, if you aren't together they'll need to be texting or calling you 24/7. You'll have to make sure everything you do is about, with, or for them. They might want you to put them on a pedi stole and show them off.