Is cursing and using swear words a turn off?

It is for me. It shows that he has limited vocabulary to express himself. i don't like cursing at all.
  • Yes
  • No
Oh wow. the poll is split 50/50
It's interesting that girls don't mind swearing as much as guys do.

5268

Most Helpful Guys

• That is such a false notion its sickening. There have been multiple studies that have found a direct correlation to cursing and the overall vocabulary and honesty of people. They have found that people who curse more often typically have larger, more expansive vocabularies then people who dont. The general idea behind it is that we use curse words more often to "dumb" things down... not to mention there are so many different meanings for curse words when used in various contexts. They also found that people who curse tend to be more honest about things.

• Then why don’t they use those words from their extensive vocabulary instead of curse words?

• People who curse often use the F bomb for describing sex. Here are my words for the same physical act, "making love" "sexual relations" " getting intimate" and I never use the same words for every person or situation. People who curse do have limited vocabulary.

• If you only have heard the "f bomb" specifically in a sexual context then you must lead a very sheltered life.

Also being able to use a single word that everyone knows in multiple situations reduces ambiguity and keeps things clear and concise.

For example, What the fuck? Vs what the fuck!

Can mean what was that/ what happened vs A sign of anger or excitement... honestly this would be way easier to explain in person or in a voice chat as inflection of a voice adds to the context of the situation.

If I know for a fact the person I am conversing with has the same vocabulary as myself I tend to use bigger, fancier words... however if I ran into you on the street, I have no idea if you would understand some of those words so I will make it easier for you and me by cursing. Saves you from potentially looking stupid and me from having to explain something to you if you didn't understand it. Cursing is just easier.

• No. As long the person use variations and don't use racist words it's fine. If the person only used f-bombs, I would find it a bit boring and think that person should use other words too. Swearing is okay, because it express emotions and a point better. Swearing don't harm anyone as long you don't bully anyone. Actually, swearing don't mean anyone have a limited vocabulary. It's just a false myth people invented because they didn't like swearing. Keeping things casual and not all formal or strictly may be a good thing sometimes. No one is perfect for fuck sake.

Most Helpful Girls

• Not really unless it's every five seconds then it be a turn off, if they started swearing loudly in a shop or something I'd find it so embarrassing but I think swearing is something we all do and is practically normal it's a expression of emotion. Sometimes it's a little bit of a turn on for me because it tells me he's real and isn't trying too hard to come off prim and proper them type of men boar me.

• I told someone that cursing showed that she had limited vocab to express her thoughts and showed that she was not mature. She was mad and defended herself.

However, I don't think that cursing per se is "bad" because sometimes a curse word gives strong emphasis, but if someone is always like "f**king this" and "f**king that" when expressing their opinions, that does make the person's character look bad. Some people on here if you're not using offensive words and are just asking for opinions, they curse all the way through their comments.

I don't usually curse, but I use euphemism in extreme cases. For example, my coworkers are lazy and they blame other people for not doing things that they're supposed to do themselves, and they spend at least 70% of the work hours chitchatting and watching movies and videos on their work computers. I told my sister that whoever does not want to work, should just stay home and F themselves. That I think is an appropriate usage.