Is cursing and using swear words a turn off?

It is for me. It shows that he has limited vocabulary to express himself. i don't like cursing at all.
  • Yes
    Vote A
  • No
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy
Updates:
Oh wow. the poll is split 50/50
It's interesting that girls don't mind swearing as much as guys do.

2|2

Most Helpful Guys

• That is such a false notion its sickening. There have been multiple studies that have found a direct correlation to cursing and the overall vocabulary and honesty of people. They have found that people who curse more often typically have larger, more expansive vocabularies then people who dont. The general idea behind it is that we use curse words more often to "dumb" things down... not to mention there are so many different meanings for curse words when used in various contexts. They also found that people who curse tend to be more honest about things.

1|0
    0|0
    • Then why don’t they use those words from their extensive vocabulary instead of curse words?

• Show All
    • People who curse often use the F bomb for describing sex. Here are my words for the same physical act, "making love" "sexual relations" " getting intimate" and I never use the same words for every person or situation. People who curse do have limited vocabulary.

• If you only have heard the "f bomb" specifically in a sexual context then you must lead a very sheltered life.

Also being able to use a single word that everyone knows in multiple situations reduces ambiguity and keeps things clear and concise.

For example, What the fuck? Vs what the fuck!

Can mean what was that/ what happened vs A sign of anger or excitement... honestly this would be way easier to explain in person or in a voice chat as inflection of a voice adds to the context of the situation.

If I know for a fact the person I am conversing with has the same vocabulary as myself I tend to use bigger, fancier words... however if I ran into you on the street, I have no idea if you would understand some of those words so I will make it easier for you and me by cursing. Saves you from potentially looking stupid and me from having to explain something to you if you didn't understand it. Cursing is just easier.

• No. As long the person use variations and don't use racist words it's fine. If the person only used f-bombs, I would find it a bit boring and think that person should use other words too. Swearing is okay, because it express emotions and a point better. Swearing don't harm anyone as long you don't bully anyone. Actually, swearing don't mean anyone have a limited vocabulary. It's just a false myth people invented because they didn't like swearing. Keeping things casual and not all formal or strictly may be a good thing sometimes. No one is perfect for fuck sake.

0|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• Not really unless it's every five seconds then it be a turn off, if they started swearing loudly in a shop or something I'd find it so embarrassing but I think swearing is something we all do and is practically normal it's a expression of emotion. Sometimes it's a little bit of a turn on for me because it tells me he's real and isn't trying too hard to come off prim and proper them type of men boar me.

2|2
    0|0
  • I told someone that cursing showed that she had limited vocab to express her thoughts and showed that she was not mature. She was mad and defended herself.

However, I don't think that cursing per se is "bad" because sometimes a curse word gives strong emphasis, but if someone is always like "f**king this" and "f**king that" when expressing their opinions, that does make the person's character look bad. Some people on here if you're not using offensive words and are just asking for opinions, they curse all the way through their comments.

I don't usually curse, but I use euphemism in extreme cases. For example, my coworkers are lazy and they blame other people for not doing things that they're supposed to do themselves, and they spend at least 70% of the work hours chitchatting and watching movies and videos on their work computers. I told my sister that whoever does not want to work, should just stay home and F themselves. That I think is an appropriate usage.

0|0
    0|1

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 66

• I don't have a limited vocabulary, on the contrary. However, I DO swear regularly in stressful situations, as a means to divert my frustration, my anger, or my helplessness, and get a hold of myself. It helps me focus, sort of like how one might play with their key, punch something, or stomp with their feet.
    I would gladly be with someone who swears for similar reasons, or reasons that make sense, as long as they are willing to try and change for the better to make outselves more pleasant in each other's company.

The statement that one would have a limited vocabulary, or would be unintelligent, just because they swear, I detest. For one, if you have a thing for understanding how intelligent someone is, you know that you don't have to even watch vocabulary - usually intelligence radiates from one's actions and demeanor.
    Secondly, swearing can be used simultaneously with a varied vocabulary, to put emphasys where emphasys is needed, or to take away the edge of certain statements, just to mentiom a few examples.

0|0
    0|0
  • Once there is intimacy a small amount of cursing and usage of swear words can be neglected, generally speaking, most men will perceive a woman who curses and uses swear words as uneducated. Not to mention that it can compromise the perception of the woman’s femininity.

1|0
    0|0
  • It is situational for me so it depends on what is happening and what the conversation needs. An F-bomb thrown at the right time can be funny or sexy and exactly what the situation needs at that time. Get a room full of kids and she's swearing like a sailor then no, so like everything it's all down to time and place.

1|0
    0|0
  • I don't mind if swear words are used in what I consider to be an acceptable situation. However I find it to be a turn off when used in normal everyday conversation.

To me it lacks class. For example if I see an attractive lady and I hear her casually swearing, I imagine her doing that in front of my colleagues at a work function. It's a complete turn off.

0|1
    0|0
  • I agree with the asker , if you don't have anything to say besides those words we are not talking. The thing I can't stand is the same 3 words in each sentence they speak. I'm not going to preach but do you really have to say F and S that literally every other word. I dont see anything besides immature nature. And it show your lack of intellect

0|0
    0|0
  • Sweet, cursing and swear words may be sexual too.
    By example, me and a beautiful girl on a role play.
    I swear to God, you are gonna regret this day ( epic voice here), this night you are gonna shout loud until the damn cops come here.
    It's funny, but when he likes you, it's horny too.

1|1
    0|0
  • I'm originally from Nova Scotia where The Trailer Park Boys is filmed. Swearing is in our fk'n blood, so if someone has an issue with swearing, go visit Saskatchewan instead.

1|0
    1|2
  • I’d say generally there is no place for it in a relationship. Nor is there really a need for it. If you have to resort to cursing and swearing in argument or heated discussion then I’m my opinion you’ve lost. People use it to emphasise their meaning or emotion but to me it’s just vulgar and a really awful use of language

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah, it is. I mean, I can understand someone's frustration or anger about something specific and them cussing because of that. But cussing all the time or cussing for no reason? No. That - I CAN'T understand. If you have the urge to cuss all the time, then you have serious problems.

1|0
    0|0
  • Look I don't know about you guys, but living in Australia swear words loses their "power" a lot here and swearing is basically in like everyday sentences.

0|0
    0|0
  • I prefer that people use their full vocabulary when talking to me. If Swearing is a part of that then so be it. I dislike the overly filtered language which is spoken almost everywhere now. Shaming an Asshole into talking the way most people prefer just hides the Ass to a point where you won't see them coming when they snap. And someone else will have to dig your Hole after they do.

0|0
    0|0
  • I prefer not to use or hear them, but it's not really a turn off. Unless she uses them in inappropriate or unnecessary situations. Then it's a turn off. It shows immaturity.

0|0
    0|0
  • Cursing is ok & inevitable during fits of anger or frustration. But for me it’s a turn-off when it’s used too regularly in casual conversations.

Like you, I find it shows a limited vocabulary and are just useless filler words, like “like” which is just as obnoxious

0|0
    0|0
  • A little bit of cursing is okay, but it can easily become too much.
    I cannot see the need for cursing in order to express oneself sufficiently.
    I do swear at times, but mainly when something hurts.

0|0
    0|0
  • Continual use just shows that the speaker seems to be limited in their thoughts and/or expressive vocabulary. A few here and there during intercourse can spice things up, though.

1|1
    1|0
    • Haha... I'm not sure if the asker was referring to sexual situations, or just daily circumstances. I must agree with you. I don't curse but when I'm horny and my man is horny, I speak vulgarity a few times.

• No, they are words they have a time and a place.

All words can be used inappropriately.

I'm not bothered by the often swear. Constant swearing for no reason is annoying but I'm British , British people swear a lot more than average, I'm used to it.

In fact I'm more annoyed by people that hate even the mention of swears.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's very off putting... you have been raised with standards. Manners and ettiquets different than that of barbaric semi illustrates..

Would you like talking to. someone who refuses to personal hygiene? It's the same thing with swearing but for character

0|0
    0|0
  • i curse a lot because it's a good way to release my stress without beating the shit out of someone.
    i can expand my vocabulary when i want to sound smart but i never try to because that makes me look like a wannabe.

0|1
    0|0
  • I'm Scottish. We swear at least once in most of our sentences. So no, swearing doesn't remotely bother me.

1|1
    1|0
    • i swear if i put on a scottish accent you couldn't tell i was dutch, i always swear in my sentences.

• I love that someone downvoted this. Like how dare I not mind swearing!

• Of course it is, it is rude and aggressive and that's a turn off

2|1
    0|1
  • It doesn't bother me at all. Although I don't think it should be done in front of young children.

The idea of it being a lack of vocabulary is pop psychology with nothing behind it. There hasn't been many studies on it, but those studies show just the opposite. Cussing is more associated with higher intelligence and larger vocabulary.

They are just words, but expressive words. Refusing to use them means not taking advantage of available words which often have no comparable substitute. That's not say they can't be over used or abused, but that's true of most words.

1|0
    0|0
  • I personally find it sexy like everyone's wants to censore everything these days like its a word as they say "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will NEVER hurt me"

1|0
    0|0
  • To demean your girlfriend or S. O is offensive definitely. But to say you're so fucking sexy. Isn't

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes, of course it is a turn off to me. I never use vulgar language, I never swear. Never means never.

0|1
    1|2
  • Nah not really. If she uses the words as a constant because she doesn’t know how else to express herself then that’s an issue but I find it kind of cute in many cases.

0|0
    0|0
  • It isn't particularly endearing but wouldn't go as far as saying it it is a turn off

But I suppose it may depend on quality and quantity of it and how the vocabulary is otherwise

0|0
    0|0
  • It's really only a turn off to me if the swearing is either in a weird context or if it is excessive.

1|1
    0|0
  • High on my list of dealbreakers. Hearing a girl curse is off putting.

2|1
    0|1
  • Well, its a very expressionate thing to do. Like, if you only could use one word for a week fu@k would be pretty handy. The word in itself isn't bad. Thats just the same as any taboo word.

These words gets a bad reputation because the way they are used. When somebody is appearing overly upset, out of control, and potentially violent, then it warrants condemnation. Most people that swear do so with a total lack of consideration. You can also tell that these same people dont have good character traits associated to self control. Like, if you threw a chair across the room when you get mad over something petty, it might be safe to assume that throwing chairs is a turn off.

0|1
    1|0
  • No. No it's not. Swearing doesn't indicate a lack of vocabulary in any way to me unless that's practically the only word they use. After all they're just words.

1|0
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

What Girls Said 50

• I don’t care... I use foul language pretty often. I never swear at people though, just in general conversation.

1|0
    0|1
  • Not unless you do it excessively.

2|1
    0|0
  • Technically no but it can be. I think cursing is fine as long as it isn't excessive and/or directed at me. I like cursing, it's fuckin' fun. But there's a time and a place. For instance, I don't appreciate cursing when arguing with someone. Nor do I appreciate someone cursing at me or calling me names.

2|1
    0|0
  • depends on the situation and type of swear word used and the person behind it. i don't like a lot of it and all that obnoxious swearing either but sometimes in the right way on a whim it can be hot, lol. hard to explain.

1|1
    0|0
  • It's a turn off if someone curses during a general conversation , but not if they only curse when they're angry or frustrated

Some people curse all the time, and it just makes them appear foolish and immature. It's as if they think it makes them look tough. Lol

I know some people who only curse when they're in the company of others who curse. They're easily influenced by other people

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't find cursing a turn-off. I usually only use swear words when something or someone really gets to me or when I'm really mad.
    And I feel that should be it, it's only to bring across a certain point and emotion more effectively. To use it in normal everyday speech kinda disputes that purpose.

0|0
    0|0
  • Actually it doesn't show they have a limited vocabulary. I bet some are smarter than even you are. It shows they choose to use words like that at times despite the other many words they know to Express themselves. I'm curious tho. When others choose to tell someone to "f'ck off", what do you say instead?

1|0
    0|0
  • Personally, I'm not a fan of swearing because it comes off as angry or aggressive. Those are rather alarming traits.

1|1
    0|0
  • Hey, as long as they have a filter and know when and where they can and shouldn't cuss. There's some people that just cannot filter themselves and will be like swearing in front of other people's children and I'm like no.

In my parents house and around other peoples children, my mouth is God. Around my friends my mouth is the Devil.

0|0
    0|0
  • Bitch. Fuck. Cunt. Hoe. Motherfucker. I wouldn't curse in front of my dog or kids.

2|3
    2|0
  • Cursing is very normal for me and those around me. As long as it isn’t used as a substitute for intelligence, it doesn’t bother me.

2|1
    0|0
  • I curse a fair amount in my daily life, so it's not to me.

2|1
    0|0
  • Omg yes I hate it when people swear, like there is no point to it and especially when they are swearing at someone, like you don’t need to swear at someone bc ur angry, it doesn’t resolve anything the situation just gets worse

0|0
    0|0
  • Depending on the situation I don't mind it. I mean I myself have a mouth like a drunken sailor. But situations like in the bedroom hell no, having my partner curse at me while doing the deed is a turn off.

0|0
    0|0
  • Not for me
    I like people who have a good vocabular but a few curse words in the mix is cool

2|2
    0|0
  • Yes. I agree it does show a limited vocabulary, is usually in poor taste and not ever really neccesary.

1|0
    0|0
  • I read somewhere that people who curse are more comfortable around you but at the same time I don’t like it when that’s all they say because it makes me feel like they don’t know a better word therefore lack intelligence

0|0
    0|0
  • Fuck no lol
    I would agree with you if swear words would be the only vocabulary the person is using but generally no

0|1
    0|0
  • I hate it when people (men) who say moist I think that's worst then any swear word when they say it nowadays it usually means a vagina being "moist" *shivers*.

0|0
    0|0
    • Why bother specifying 'men' in parenthesis? Is it less bothersome if a woman says it?

• Also if I asked you to "please pass me a moist towel" after eating BBQ would that also bother you?

• Yes unless it’s sort of reasonable, like if they drop something and it breaks and they say „shit“ I’ll be the last to judge

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't know what it is but continuous swearing and in public, brings the class down on a whole new level for me.

1|0
    0|0
  • Every other word that comes out my bf's mouth is a cuss word lol

0|0
    0|0
  • I mean I probably wouldn’t really want to date someone who uses it every 2nd word, but it doesn’t really bother me.

0|0
    0|0
  • Cussing is healthy when you are angry but I don't like it when a guy curses for no reason. Uses the f word like it's any other word. It's trashy.

0|0
    0|0
  • I curse because it makes me feel good sometimes. I can express myself in different words, but am just so used to cursing

0|0
    0|0
  • it is if the person is swearing in anger. but in fun it doesn't matter cuz it's his/her way of talking.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don´t mind swearing as long it is not in every sentence he say.

0|0
    0|0
  • Not really.. but if he does it too much then it’s a turn off

0|1
    0|0
  • It gives expression but too much demonstrates ignorance.

0|0
    0|0
  • cursing continously is turn off but cursing during sex is hot

0|0
    0|0
  • Show more from Girls

Recommended myTakes