The Struggles Of A Military Family

Many people feel as it is their duty to serve in the military, others feel called to grow and support a family, and some do both. Being part of a military family can have it's perks, but it also has it downsides.

The Struggles Of A Military Family

*NOTE: I am basing most of these things (not everything) off of my experience living in a family where my father served in the US Navy. These things may vary from family to family or even across the different branches of the military.

1. Deployment

The Struggles Of A Military Family

Many branches of the military require one to be deployed. Deployments are very difficult mainly because the parent could be away for anywhere from 4 to 18 months, but after a while, you become conditioned to it.

2. Uncertainty

The Struggles Of A Military Family

Often times your loved one is sent to dangerous locations for extended periods of time. You are aware that it is a dangerous place and every day you worry about their wellbeing.

3. Moving

The Struggles Of A Military Family

Being part of the military means you will get stationed all over the place. You are forced to move often, never really having much time to make friends. It is often uncommon to remain in the same place for more than a couple years. On top of that you have little choice where to move.

4. Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)

The Struggles Of A Military Family

For many Veterans who server on the battlefield, this is a big thing. They may witness a traumatic event on the battlefield such as watching several people die or having to kill people themselves. This can put a real heavy strain on a family that could last years it not for the rest of their lives.

5. Dishonorable Discharge

The Struggles Of A Military Family

This is a bit of an extreme one. For those of you who are not in the know, Dishonorable Discharge is the dismissal of someone from the armed forces as a result of criminal or morally unacceptable actions. This can make a huge impact on a family. For instance, Veterans charged with Dishonorable Discharge will find it very hard (if not impossible) to get a civilian job meaning the other parent will have to search for a job. Depending on why they got a Dishonorable Discharge could also be a huge factor in whether a divorce is imminent. This one affects any Veteran, but it hit the military families the worse.

That is all I have for today. If anyone reading is part of a military family or is a Veterans yourself, do you agree? Did I miss anything? Thank you all for reading have have a wonderful day.

511

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm a veteran, and these are all applicable points. I would like to say, however, that I never saw a married guy, much less one with kids, get anything other than an honorable discharge. These guys had too much riding on getting an honorable discharge to get anything but that, so they were more responsible than the single guys.

I should mention that these things also affect girlfriends (or for that matter, boyfriends), especially the deployments and the accompanying uncertainty.

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 5

• I’ve experienced some of these, my father has served all over the world.
    We’ve lived in several houses in 2 different countries (2 states and 2 provinces). I’m in Cadets and hope to follow my father in to the Air Force.

• if i have a husband who is in the army or navy... i think i'll follow him wherever he goes...

• A lot of great points. My husband is in the Navy - second enlistment. Although I would never leave my husband over a dishonorable discharge.

• Yes I totally agree
    My boyfriend and i had some family members that r in and were in the military

• This literally sums up my life and stresses in life as an army brat... ❤️

What Guys Said 10

• PTSD? I guess that's their reward for invading foreign countries and killing women and children. I guess its worth going to hell to keep America at the top of the food chain.

• There is reason my dad got out after my sister was born.
    He got out after 12 years in the Air Force back in 99. Luckily I was only 4 and hadn't yet started school

• I'd take dishonorable discharge over death. Nothing is worth more than life.

Yeah, I feel the same way. People I know could be dead.

• This is why I don’t believe military members should have families; one it’s tough on the family and more importantly, it distracts from the work at hand.

• Serving in the Army I saw all of this. Thanks for sharing.

• I was raised with a military dad and moving was a big problem. I feel

• Thank you.

• nice take.

• Thank You

• i remember military brats would always be leaving my school because their dad would get moved every 2 years. damn