What "unusual" food is served in your country and nowhere else?

I would like to introduce to everyone "Czernina"
What

It is a soup made from duck or goose blood, known as (char-NEE-nah), czernina and czarna polewka, is a Polish soup that originated as a way to use up every part of a slaughtered duck or goose. It gets its name from the word "black" -- "czarny" referring to its dark color. Typically made with dried fruits, blood and vinegar which prevents the blood from clotting at the same time giving it a sweet-sour flavor. In the past it was served to usuccessful Polish suitors from the maiden's parents to let them know their advances were not welcome.

1|1

Most Helpful Girls

• I live in the U. S so we have some unusual foods that a person would enjoy if they have an acquired taste for it such as pickled pigs feet, Rocky Mountain Oysters (fried bulls testicles) and deep fried butter which is usually served at state fairs and carnivals. I have tried all of these and don't really care for the flavors at all but, I am pretty brave when it comes to trying new things foodwise.

1|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• I live in an area that has literally every ethnic food known to man in my own backyard, so I'm not too surprised by anything, really. But as far as "unusual" (for some) Canadian dishes?

Poutine - a Québecoise (French Canadian) dish that is essentially, french fries, fresh cheese curds and gravy! lol Fattening as hell, but tasty. 😋 Some might find that weird I guess.

Tourtière - a classic Québecoise dish. It's a flakey crust meat pie usually made with pork, beef or wild game and herbs, and spices.

Nanaimo bars - from Nanaimo, British Columbia, it's sort of a layered chocolate/custard/brownie kind of thing with nuts in the bottom brownie layer.

Flapper Pie - a pie with a graham cracker crust with a sweet milky/custardy filling and a meringue top.

A "bloody Caesar" - similar to a bloody Mary, made with tomato juice, vodka, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, salt and pepper, but ours is made with celery salt and "clamato" juice which is a mixture of tomato juice and clam juice! lol 😂

Ketchup flavoured potato chips! - It's an original Canadian flavour that we've had up here for ages.

"Beavertails!" 😋 - Basically it's a big-assed donut the size and shape of a beavertail with cinnamon and sugar sprinkled all over it, or with a ton of other fancier items like chocolate/hazelnut spread, bananas, whiskey cream, etc.

Fried cod tongues and "scrunchions" - from the east coast in Newfoundland, this is literally cod fish's tongues, battered and deep fried, and "scrunchions" are pieces of pork fat deep fried until they're crunchy. 😋

Tiger tail ice cream - it's a creamy vanilla, almost custard-like flavoured ice cream with an orange licorice swirl in it.

Pemmican - this is literally dried minced moose meat, dried blueberries and cranberries, dried onions, duck fat and salt pushed into a moulded shape. lol It was something that was made out of necessity by the earliest settlers that kind of stuck around. lol It's not that common though.

Newfoundland snowballs - chocolate fudge and oat balls rolled in coconut.

Seal flipper pie! 😳 - Another one from Newfoundland. It's literally made with seal flippers, root vegetables, pork fat and "screech", which is a Newfoundland-style rum. Not the first meal for PeTA conference. 😬

Bannock bread - this is a very simple staple food originally made by the natives, made with flour, lard, dried berries and water. It keeps very well and many campers still make it today.

Well, there you go. Some Canadian weirdness. 😊

0|1
    0|0
  • The Donut Burger

upload.wikimedia.org/.../Donut_burger.jpg

"Concoctions: Bacon Smores. Burgers between doughnuts. Fried cereal cheese puffs. I mean, I see half these weird food combinations and it's just revolting. American food gets such a bad rep and these things explain why. However, I will attest that throughout the U. S. there actually are really amazing homemade and healthy traditional food representing those areas. Not all the U. S. food is a sugar-injected, deep-fried nightmare."

Americans are disgusting pigs

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 9

What Guys Said 24

• Even though I'm Polish, (living abroad), its something I wouldn't try.
    In Shout Africa, we got "Bunny Chow". Effectively it is a curry served in a 1/2 or 1/4 loaf of bread. A "brick" of a bread is hollowed out, the curry poured in and served. It originated in Durban, but spread country wide.

0|1
    0|0
  • Blodpudding (Blood Pudding): Congeled, seasoned pork blood that is cut in slices and fried.

Surströmming (Sour Herring): Herring that is lightly salted, then sealed in cans and allowed to ferment for 6 months. Often called the worst smelling food in the world.

0|1
    0|0
  • Haggis: a Scottish dish consisting of a sheep's or calf's offal mixed with suet, oatmeal, and seasoning and boiled in a bag, traditionally one made from the animal's stomach.

0|1
    0|0
  • Maybe Blood pudding? I actually think it’s of a Germanic origin but I don’t think bubble and squeak is a thing I’d see overseas.

From UK

0|1
    0|0
  • Cake made with an entire tonne of sugar AND High Fructose Corn Syrup.

0|1
    0|0
  • Pork blood stew, fried pork intestines, grilled scallops/oysters with cheese, raw fish in vinegar and i think there is more.

0|1
    0|0
  • Deep fried marz bar with chicken salt
    (Australia) or crocodile with emu egg and octopus with again chicken salt

0|1
    0|0
  • Haha funny, exactly this is what came to my mind since I heard of it years ago, that it used to be served here in Germany as well :D

0|1
    0|0
  • Hmmm. That looks delicious. But the idea that it was given as an insult makes me think otherwise :/

0|1
    0|0
    • Canada doesn't really have anything unusual. It's pretty much a menu of food stolen from other cultures but not in a good way. Canadians can't cook.

• I'm English. ALL of our food is from somewhere else xD

0|2
    0|0
  • I don't know what is unusual.
    I bet for chinese people it's unusual to eat cheese. For some it's usual to eat testicles or brain of animals.

0|0
    0|0
  • Arrosticini
    Sheep meat on sticks

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't know if it's international, but surstromming is a hard candidate

0|0
    0|0
  • Lefse. Lutefisk. Pickled herring.

0|1
    0|0
    • After watching this guy eat Lutefisk https://youtu.be/KUzQoDXH-04 I'm not really tempted :P.. Lefse I might try to make, seems not to hard https://youtu.be/TjjMFFTNlRc .. Pickled herring is delicious.

• Show All
    • Can you die from it or something?

• I doubt it. But lye can burn your esophagus and vocal cords. It's basically liquid Drano. It maybe could kill u, if u ate enough of it improperly prepared. If u ever try it, make sure the person who made knows what they're doing. I went by an old family recipe, handed down for over a hundred years.

• vegemite

0|1
    0|0
  • Hog Jowls and Black Eyed Peas.

0|1
    0|0
  • Raw Oysters

0|2
    0|0
  • we eat girls ass as well

0|0
    0|1
  • In America we eat possum

0|1
    0|0
  • Paella.

0|1
    0|0
  • Mämmi (rye pudding)
    Carelian pie
    Liver casserole

0|1
    0|0
  • Raw seal I guess, we also have fiddleheads

0|0
    0|0
  • Duck lungs, baked blood on a toast, dumplings with fresh unpasteurised fermenting sheep cheese

0|0
    0|0
  • Golgapas

0|1
    0|0

Recommended myTakes