Want to be a Cheerleader: Don't Be "Thick"

I was watching a recent episode on CMT of "Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders: Making the Team," which is a reality show about the 8 week process, plus auditions, of young women trying out for and hopefully making the prestigious team. DCC as it's called, is one of the most well known football cheerleading squads in the US. As such, their standards are extremely high and expectations for rookie and veteran candidates alike are strict and unyielding.

On this particular episode, a veteran of the team was told in front of the squad during a rehearsal by one of the choreographers: "I'm not calling you fat, because you're not, but you do look thick" dancing around. Later on, in a closed door session with the directors of the team, again, it was mentioned that she looked very thick in the tiny unforgiving uniforms, to which one of the dance coaches said, "I'll be the first to admit, I'm fat, and I've got some weight to lose too, and I'm working on it, but I also don't have to be in that uniform."

I actually do believe there are just some jobs where ones weight/look and the maintenance of said look, should be a requirement. I would require, for example, a sumo wrestler to have a certain amount of girth as dictated by the sport, a quarterback to be more tall and lean, a ballet dancer to be more lithe in respect to her partner who must continuously lift her up over his head and that partner to have enough muscle to do such lifts safely, and if a uniform is skimpy and leaves nothing to the imagination, I'd probably also require the person in that uniform to be able to fit into it and maintain the toned look because as mentioned over and over again on the show, they are going to be on jumbo tron screens broadcast around the world, and those screens are not kind to anyone.

Everyone can't do everything. Certain body types are better at some things than others whether you're big/small, tall/short, muscular/thin. I don't find a problem, when a job is largely appearance based, or where it's been proven that certain body types tend to work best in certain jobs like in sports, that they be a requirement for the job. It's one thing if you are just blindsided and don't know that the jobs require a certain look, but for many of these jobs, the players, models, actors, dancers, and cheerleaders alike are told by those companies, that there is an expectation that they maintain a certain look or level of athleticism. It is literally part of your job description on contract, and if you can't do that, they are made aware that they will be let go or are free to work elsewhere without such requirements.

I mean, nothing is forcing them to be there to begin with or in this case, even audition for these jobs, but these people choose to do so, so I don't see how we the public or the people gunning for those positions, can feel slighted by it. Every job you will ever work, has it's set of rules, and it should only become a problem if a job is not appearance based or based on physical skills, and/or applicants were not told up front of such requirements with solid backings as to the reasons why the jobs are looks based. The veteran cheerleader in this case took it all in stride, agreeing that she would workout in her free time to get back into shape, but there have been those on the team in previous seasons who haven't, and they were just as soon let go because of it.

1830

Most Helpful Guy

• To me, it's no different than, say, a UPS driver having to be able to lift, move, and carry packages up to 70 pounds on their own. That requirement is right on the application and in the contract, and UPS allows packages up to 70 pounds to be shipped without "additional weight fees" that require a second person to move. If you were a UPS driver, and you couldn't move 70 pound packages, and got fired as a result, that should NOT shock you.

If you get hired as a Java programmer but you can't program in Java - well, guess what? You probably won't have your job for long.

A size/weight/look requirement for a cheerleader is a reasonable thing to have, just like a package-lifting requirement for UPS, or a programming requirement for a programmer. That shouldn't be even a little bit controversial.

Runway models have to be exceptionally tall and thin. You can be the most beautiful, most graceful 5'5" woman, but you won't be a runway model, because you don't meet the requirements. Oh well, life isn't fair...

Most Helpful Girl

• Cheerleaders also do a lot of tricks which require lifting. I agree that certain jobs have certain body requirements. Yes it probably puts pressure on the girls to always be in excellent shape > but they knew what they were getting themselves into when they signed up

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 29

• So the lesson here is that all jobs have requirements?

• Is this even a thing? Like how do women feel about cheerleaders? I know that back in the 1950s, the cheerleader was apparently the top of the high school food chain, but by the time I went to high school, things were nothing like that. Cheerleaders were ridiculed and made fun of while the super cool girls were on the volleyball team and sometimes the basketball team although volleyball seemed to be the activity of choice for the female high school elite. So given my high school experience, when I look at cheerleaders, I assume that no one respects these women, regardless of your gender.

• Don't confuse thick with fat.

All these fat bitches be saying their thick have ruined the meaning of it.

s2.quickmeme.com/.../...2c6383f17c688599c02044.jpg

• Interesting - I would expect cheerleaders to be built as the perform certain strength tricks so many cheerleaders are probably borderline "big" the same way a ballerina will be very "small" - I am not surprised that there are some weight, shape implications in the selection - As others have pointed out you sign up for it, so expect some demands - Are they fair, probably not but in an elitist industry this is what happens.

• There is definitely a distinction. These women don't do the type of gymnastics required of other cheerleading groups where they are doing stunts and such. They do some tricks, but mostly they are dancers. For the other kind of cheerleading, you have to be strong, you have to have muscle, and as a base in a stunt, you must be able to lift your flyers. They have much more athletic bodies and being thin or not thick is not usually a requirement. They are more invested in your skill level.

• I agree 100% 🖒

• I guess you haven't watched AGT USA this session... Oscar!! ;-)

• Cheerleading is messed up, I watched a documentary on Bullshit! about how dangerous it is even though it's not classified as a sport and there's no safety regulations.

• Interesting Take, I like it :)

• Interesting

• I read the whole thing but don't understand your point..

• Really?

• Skinny women aren't all that. I love me a nice thick butt and big breasts.

• They don't look skinny to me, they look fit. But I think a women's definition of skinny is different to a man's. Every girl wants to get fashion model skinny but apparently not many men like that, however lots say they like skinny. I suppose when men say skinny, they mean like these cheerleaders

• Good take. And this coming from a female listing

• This is obvious. To the best of my knowledge there are no 5-2, 110 lb NFL linemen.

• Some thick girls are very athletic and sexy

• They are, but not on this team for what they specifically want.

• Hot cheerleaders in the pics are hot. Enough said.

• Thanks for sharing..

• I love Cheerleaders!!!

• Cheerleading is about the dumbest thing around. You might as well just be a stripper.

• If you want to be in any job requiring "attractive"... don't be fat.
    Fat is NOT attractive, regardless of what social justtards try and force.

• More from Guys
    9

What Girls Said 17

• All I have to say is I watched DCC making the team and they are strictly on those girls but it sucks when 1 of the coaches had her daughter auction. They would be learning the new routine and the daughter messed up as if she blanked out on the routine so she than said it was because she was getting asthma. Let's be real if this was another regular person trying out they would say they cnt have that happen on the field so she would NOT be picked. She made it because of her mommy

• The point of being a cheerleader is looking hot in a skimpy outfit so yes.

• It severely sounds like you're jealous and embittered about attractive women with womanly, shapely bodies. I have never heard of a genuinely fat woman complaining about how women like her should be allowed to be cheerleaders. "Thick" and "fat" are not synonymous. And being a cheerleader is the most eye-rolling out of my socket kind of useless and superficially overrated thing to strive to be.

• Please read carefully: I do not run that squad. I'm stating what should be clear to you or anyone else, if for example, you were cheering for DCC and you had to have this certain look 'they' wanted under contract and you refused to maintain that look, and were fired. Who's fault is that? Yours. The title is referring to the women on the show who do run the squad and said those words. If you have issues with that, the terminology used, or being a cheerleader, you may write into the show and complain about it, but I would advise you or anyone else signing up for a job to fully read and understand your contract so you aren't "surprised" by the rules of the organization later on down the road whether you agree or disagree with them or not.

• no shits given?

• I'm so tired of fat girls trying to bring that equality shit everywhere. You wanna be a cheerleader but then get upset that people are shallow and judging you? Dont hate the player hate the game.

• I wonder if other NFL teams are as strict.

• Yes, most are. Some actually will fine girls who look heavy or keep them off the field on game day and make them give back their appearance fees until they can get back into shape. Don't know if DCC does that, but they have definitely fired girls after repeated warnings to get into the shape they were when hired.

• Oh no... my dreams are broken! I didn't know fat girls couldn't wear sexy outfit day ra rah

• I should be a ballerina thennn lol

• No one wants to have to hold some tubby ass girl at the top of a pyramid formation. Just lay off the icecream, ladies.

• All the women in the photo look athletic and toned. They are not the skinny waif type. So I don't know what you mean by "don't be thick". Just don't gain body fat I guess?

• The title references what the girls were told by their coaches on the show.

• If u put yourself out there, u should be accepting of the critiques when they are warranted or not.

• I am a cheerleader and we have to follow a strong diet, so yes that's true

• I agree

• It's a shallow job

• I never get through takes bc it just someone's long opinion, but I can tell you that your title is absolutely false, but they have to draw the line somewhere. Reason why is it is very vigorous and you have to be able to do a number of routines, that you can't keep up with being out of shape. I just saw a professional game the other day and saw some "thicker" cheerleaders, but they have to draw the line somewhere. You are representing a bought and paid for business, a team, and need to look your best.

That's the least of it and not very important. What is very bad is how cheerleaders are paid minimum wage and less when they are putting in vigorous time and work. Teams make millions and millions a year, they can pay everyone else. Why can't they pay the people representing them to the crowd?

• Hmm okay

• cheerleading is disgusting.