An Update For Messages! What's New?

Hi G@Gers!

Breaking News Doge is here to tell you about the message update

This is a short myTake to try and address some of the confusion amongst the community regarding the recent update. As you may or may not have noticed, the private message inbox has changed design to be split into an "inbox" and an "other" category.

Inbox vs Other: What's the difference?

Inbox is a tab for all the people you are following. In other words, if you're following me, and I send you a message, my message will pop up in your inbox tab. Unless you have "Someone sends you a private message" turned off in your settings, you'll get a notification alerting you of the message as usual.

Other is a tab for everyone you aren't following. This means that if you're not following me, and I send you a message, my message goes to the other tab instead. The other tab is a click away once you open your private message page. On your PM page, click on the "Other" text located above the names of your message receiver list.

What does it do?

It gives you more control over who you get notifications from. In your settings, you'll see under "Privacy Settings" the checkbox "Notify me for inbox messages sent by users I do NOT follow." Checking it off means people in your "Other" tab will not notify you when they send you a message. Note: this is turned off at first for all the desktop users!

Yes, I will get all your message notifications!

App users: What does this mean?

App users do not currently see the new setting. Your messages are still in one list, same as before.

Feedback Welcome!

Like the update? Love it? Hate it? Maybe you have a suggestion you'd like to make? Whatever the case, any feedback is welcome! Feel free to shoot the @GirlsAskGuys user a message anytime with things you'd like changed or simply write your feedback down below! Thanks everyone!

An Update For Messages! What's New?
An Update For Messages! What's New?
13
15

Join the discussion

Most Helpful Guys

• CallMeDave

Thanks for the explanation. I'm one of the users that was confused yesterday when half of my conversations seemed to be missing.

I understand the value of this change because it allows people to avoid notifications or even having to see the messages from people they're not following.

As you've seen in the discussion on my question from yesterday about this topic, I have a couple of requests though.

1) I often have private message conversations with people as followup to a question (because it gets too long to be of interest to the whole community or because someone wants to share information that they'd prefer not be public). In many cases, I don't really want to follow those people because the conversation is just a one-time thing related to the question, but I do consider the incoming messages just as important as if I were following them. Having to look two different places for my incoming messages is not desirable for me. So, my first request is:

Have an "All" option somewhere that allows all messages in one list as they have been in the past. I would prefer that to the new setup, so I'd like an option to set that as my default.

2) I'd like some kind of notification when changes like this that affect how we use existing functions are made. I and a few other users I've heard from were confused yesterday because we thought we had lost many of our private conversations. When something changes that means we have to do something differently to use features we're accustomed to, I think a broadcast notification with a link to a MyTake like this would be very helpful.

Is this still revelant?
    • There used to be a tick box a tick box that said "Accept pm's only from people you follow" or similar. Does it mean I always get messages whether I want them or not? If so, fucking stupid. It was fine as it was. It WORKED!

• And where are the 6 girl opinions? Gone?

• CallMeDave

@juicyjessie I think that box is still there. This apparently is for if you allow messages from anyone then it will separate them. I had kind of forgotten about that box. With that option, I'm not sure there's a lot of value in this new separation. If you don't want messages from random people, just set the box that says you only accept messages from people you're following.

I still see 6 girl opinions on this MyTake (including yours). Are you not seeing them?

• GoodGuyBreakingBad

Thanks for sharing your MyTake , well appreciated it's shame
    that the owner couldn't take some time and tell us people about
    the new update. Also there is a new format when you log onto
    GAG and the color is all White and Blue. Best wishes on this matter :)

Is this still revelant?
    • There were some smaller less-noticeable changes, but I figured the biggest one that affected users was the PM box, so I focused on it 👍

• Thank You :)

• Thank You For Most Helpful Guy :)

Most Helpful Girls

• juicyjessie

Another update that is really pointless! WHY? Why is it of any use? PM's were fine as they used to be.

When will GAG stop these irrelevant updates? The site is even more difficult to use!

Is this still revelant?
    • At least I have fixed my dead PC, so I will not be here as much. This place infuriates me now. 😡😡😡😡😡🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

• Joker_

I agree

• Unit1

Here, here!

• Izumiblu

To think that gag did this when they could’ve made a category for nut kick questions that everyone would enjoy.

Is this still revelant?
    • CallMeDave

LOL. Maybe they should make an update to automatically reject those and any questions that have both "length" and "girth" in them so they never get posted?

• Waffles731

I figure that you could make money kicking men in the balls.
      Which to be honest is weird as hell

• Izumiblu

@Waffles731 there seems to be a weird fascination about this which. I agree is completely bizarre.

1113
  • Clo917

I rarely reply to PMs from those I'm not following so I like the separation, feels a bit less cluttered. However, I second adding an 'All' option so you can see all your messages on one single page.

• CallMeDave

Yes, I can see the value for some people, particularly younger females that apparently get a lot of unwanted messages from random guys, though if you don't want messages at all from people you're not following, there was already a setting to block that so all this adds is to allow you to say "I want to accept messages from anyone, but want to separate them into two groups based on whether or not I'm following them.

I almost never get random people hitting on me via private message and in most case am willing to have a conversation with anyone that sends me a private message, so for me there's no value to splitting the conversations into two groups and I'd rather have them combined.

• Clo917

@CallMeDave Yes I saw that setting before, I didn't like turning it off as I did occasionally have somebody message me who needed genuine advice/somebody to vent to. For the most part though, I'd have to stroll through a dozen+ unwanted messages to find my PMs with my G@G friends so that's why I like having it separated and less cluttered. I definitely see why it isn't ideal for everybody though and hope they'll add in an 'All' category in the next update.

• CarpetDenim

Glad I don’t have to deal with this since I only use the app. But even if I used the website, it wouldn’t make a difference because I only allow messages from people I follow, and nobody messages me anyway.

• nerms123

I miss meebo. And I don’t understand why people we aren’t following can message us. Also I wish gag would do more to get rid of pedophiles and obscene posts.

• Ok-- if you're referring to meebo, you're admittedly probably already aware since it sounds like you've been here some time, but nevertheless, there is the option to make messages "follows only" by turning on the "Allow messages only from people I follow" box in settings.

Was there something specific you wish GAG would do, or do you mean generally speaking?

• nerms123

Ok thanks! Yeah I think there needs to be some sort of filtering system because we constantly have to report inappropriate posts

• Do you mean like a keyword filter?

• For a mailbox to be useful it needs to be easier to see that I have mail without the alert being mingled with post related stuff. Right now I have to click multiple things & waste time. Maybe I only care about non-mail for most of the day & don’t want to see a bunch of info about mail all the time

• Ellie-V

I think the main concern is... WHY?
    If people don’t want strangers or non-followers messaging them, then why make some subspace for it to happen anyway?
    Just seems unnecessary.

• ShadowofRegret

I guess that explains the girls who follow me just to message me and ask me to answer questions like "he looked at me, does he want to marry me?" before immediately unfollowing me again...

• Wolframium

Cool. That was very needed.
    How about real arbitrary limitation, like only 1000 chars in message? Don't you think that should be changed? And just to play it safe, changed to something like 4000 or more.

• CallMeDave

I definitely agree that 1000 characters is too low for private messages. I and the people I exchange messages with often exceed that and have to send multiple messages. I'd be satisfied with 2500 I think.

• Nachowedgie

I mean all is well good but I lost all my conversations bar 1, so is there any way of getting them back or are they just gone for good?

• Could you clarify what you mean? Like they were all suddenly deleted?

• Yeah, I had about 15 conversations and now 14 of them have just vanished

• Was this at the time of the update or before?

• menina

Thanks for sharing this. I was so confused with this new message system and I was wondering why I didn't get notifications.
    To be honest I don't like this update, it seems confusing.

• shimmeryns

I actually like the new update, its easier for me to see messages from people I follow.

But I wish there's a "view all" messages option.

• Unit1

An Update For Messages! What's New?

• foriWish

I think GaG is purposefully driving people away. Yup! That's what it is

• Lmao, why do you update things no one asks for. I don't understand.

• Nik1hil

Does it really matters I Never Get Messages from anyone.. 🤣😂🤣😂

• Nik1hil

@EllaLovehard I am not that desperate

• Nik1hil

@TeresaMilf eh !..
      Can someone shoot me in the balls

• Piteka5

I think it's a good idea, I would love to be able to post my takes from mobile, I have no idea if that is hard to acomplish, but it would be cool

• I don't like social interaction through PMs, so this is fine.

• I don't follow anyone except GAG so If I stop following @gag will my inbox become just ONE?

• I never got an answer on this.

• Ahh, my bad. (If I understand your question...) you’ll still have the ‘other’ inbox, but it will be empty.

• SydneySentinel

I don't see any tabs on the app.

• Lol another useless update.

• MzAsh

Cool 🖤

• Ohhh that's what that's all about.

• ZeussLightningBolt

Yo, if it ain't broke, don't fix it

• Joker_

Interesting update

• Anonymous

i dont like the new updates anyway, i can't find the latest live feed on the right side when im on the computer like before, I don't know why they changed it, its very annoying.

• Anonymous

thank you for fixing it:) now the live feed is back on the right side:)

• 👍..