How To Encourage Fat People To Lose Weight

This is mytake suggesting how to encourage a fat person considering he/she is your spouse. Of course, you're not expected to go up to someone on the side of the street for no reason and start talking to them about their diet or asking them to workout with you

First things first, I owe an apology to @LittleSally (who literally wrote a take against it) @ladsin , @MsMusic , @Hispanic-Cool-Guy , @michellebrown48 and all others who found my recent take offensive (Except Anons) and corrected me. I ain't gonna disavow that because I'm "man enough" to accept criticism. Writing it and having that perspective wasn't a good idea. So as an apology, here's another take suggesting ways to 'Encourage' fat people to lose weight instead of #FatShaming.

Explain the Consequences

Whatever the cause is, being fat is unhealthy for every individual. Firstly you'll need to convince them that fat is unhealthy hence they can proceed to next step. Explain them diseases associated with obesity. FYI, diseases associated with obesity are heart disease and stroke, high blood pressure, diabetes, cancer, gallbladder disease and gallstones, osteoarthritis, gout, breathing problems, such as sleep apnea (when a person stops breathing for a short time during sleep) and asthma. You can find a detailed explanation here.

Discourage Eating Junk Food

Studies have shown that over the past four decades, consumption of food eaten away from home has also risen alarmingly. It is well known that eating out may lead to excess calorie intake and increases the risk of obesity because of large portion sizes and increased energy density of foods.

Fast foods fall into this category of food. Fast foods are typically:- high in calories, high in fat, high in saturated and trans fat, high in sugar, high in simple carbohydrates, high in sodium (salt). Your goal here is to discourage that person to eat junk food. More junk food he/she eats, more fat he gets. Junk food is an addictive thing. There's no end to it. Maybe that's why McDonald's is known as the paradise of fat people

Try Homemade Food

Homemade food can be tasty as well. Advantages are you can maintain your calorie content and the food quality. While cooking can be difficult, you gotta try and learn it. Homemade is always more healthy than junk food. It also gives you chance to accurately measure the calorie content you're eating and hence to modify it. Here are some recipes you can try at home: Pizza, Burger, Tacos, etc

Use Fitness Devices

Fitness devices will help you to monitor their day to day activity. They're affordable for everyone. Lowest you can buy is just 11 USD and highest is 650.80 USD. Lowest one monitors your steps per day. Day to day steps are related to calories he/she burns. Recommended number of steps per day to maintain your weight is 10,000 as against to lose weight is 20,000+. The more calories they burn, the faster weight they'll lose. My recommended brand is FitBit. It is accurate, waterproof and long lasting

Do it together

It is the most important part. Don't be a coach, be a cheerleader. Losing weight is more encouraging when someone is accompanying you. The mere presence of someone else affects your ability to do an activity. Even if you already feel competent doing a particular exercise, bringing along your romantic partner may be a fantastic way to boost your energy output. Your partner’s presence will improve your speed, without you necessarily being aware of their influence. Irrespective of your own weight, you can exercise with them as it is beneficial for both. If that person is your SO, exercising together can make love bonding stronger as well.

Rewards

Set some goals and when he/she achieves it, give a reward. It is a common technique used to make kids more creative or make them work but it works here as well. Rewards given by you can be materialistic like Money, Games, Books etc or non-materialistic like cooking for them, a movie or date together, etc. You can find many reward ideas here ("he" and "re" are two different links)

Be positive!

Last but not least, one thing is common among fat people is they're quite lazy (yeah I really mean it). When encourging them, you always have to be positive. Don't judge them. Your goal is to encourage them. If you give up, they'll give up soon enough.

Thank you for browsing :) #NoMoreFatShaming

1519

Most Helpful Girl

• 😂😂 this shit is condescending AF. How about just mind your own business unless someone actually asks for your help. And I didn't read the other Take but I'm pretty sure I know exactly what it said. Those were your true feelings. Should've just stuck to that.

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm 6'1, 300 pounds, and I never want to read anything you write ever again. I'm offended, I'm triggered, and this is nonsense

I'm joking. My height and weight weren't a joke, but how I feel about this isn't. We shouldn't encourage being out of shape. We shouldn't shame people's bodies, but we should get them to be healthier. There are two types of "shamers": those who mean well and want you to be healthy, and those who feel better about themselves and be assholes to others.
    You know why I'm 300 pounds? My poor decisions. I made mistakes. That's my fault, and I'm not proud of it. Why am I not 350 pounds? Because I decided it's time to turn this shit show around. I listened to podcasts where the host is both shaming you and encouraging you to turn it around.
    If you're a fatass, like I am, you gotta turn it around, and you need to start today.
    "But I had a 4 stack of pancakes with half a stick of butter and a half pint of syrup. Can I start this Sunday?"
    Listen you tub of shit, you need to start now. Even if you're sitting in your cubicle or at your desk, grab the ball of your gut fat. No its not a love handle, it's a sack of shit. Grab it, and say out loud "I'm a fat tub of shit. I don't want to be a fat tub of shit. I'm not going to get a Big Mac meal at McDonald's and get a diet Coke and go 'at least it's diet'. If I have no lunch, I'm getting a salad with no meat and no dressing. Tonight, I'm going for a long walk". It's time to turn the fatness around. It's not that you aren't pretty. It's that you're going to die. And it's not going to be a peaceful death. Your kidneys are going to quit on you, your knees or going to be tapping out, your liver is going to start to go, and you're going to be a diabetic. Turn your life around. "But I'm happy the way I am"... yeah and you'll be dead in 15 years and you're going to leave your loved ones to bury your fat ass and you're going to devastate them by being gone. I'm not saying lose weight because I'm offended to look at you. I'm telling to lose weight because I don't want to lose you, and neither does your family

• Your opinion is bigger than mytake lol

• I know. I'm just tired of this victim shit. Someone tells someone else that it would be in their best interest to get healthier, all of the sudden they're a victim of fat shaming. I fat shame myself, which is why I'm not out of control. Read my two MyTakes about political correctness and feminism. Two ideas I actually agree with, but people are going about both in horrible ways.

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 14

• This was good all the way up until the end. You generalize all fat people as lazy but that isn't the truth. Not saying that isn't a large majority but there are some people who suffer from medical issue that cause weight gain and make it hard to lose weight even doing all the things you mention above.

• Thanks for sharing! I see a lot of work went into this. Respect x100 xD

• I'm 5'2" and reached over 150 lbs in my 30s. I've been pushing myself to exercise almost everyday and replaced my lunch with healthy filling drinks for at least 5 years now. I'm currently 115 pounds now.

• I'm proud of you for posting this (:
    I still think someone's weight should be their own business unless they are legitimately unaware that they are fat/that being fat is unhealthy.
    But this is a giant step up<33

• How about "lead by example"? Eat exactly what you want them to eat and exercise as much and as often as you want them.
    "But.. I don't need to lose weight. I'm at a healthy weight."
    So? Hypertension and all the other diseases don't stop right where healthy weight starts. It's even more dangerous when you can't put on weight, because the dangers of your choices aren't visible to you until it's too late.

• Why should anyone else's body or eating habits bother any of us?

• Because you love that person?

• Has that worked well for you?

• @Anon-ymous1 yes it has, both in business and personally.

• I chuckled while reading this
    I especially enjoy making homemade meals
    I wouldn't ever encourage a friend or stranger to lose weight
    But siblings, offsprings, parents, and spouses? yeah it's reasonable to encourage them to lose weight

• The only thing I see you missed is those who have thyroid problems - this slows their metabolism down a great deal, therefore making it harder to lose weight. You can change your eating habits but if they have a slow metabolism or some other health issue (that you may not know about) these methods will not work for them. I worked in the medical industry for a long time and there tends to be more involved with each individual. I know some don't lose weights as quickly as others. **Also, not all fat people are lazy - where did you get that assumption? May a group fits this category but don't classify all.

• Great take! I think all people should do these things to be healthy!

• Good take, I'm so proud of you !

• Show more from Girls
    4

What Guys Said 18

• Haha I wasn't offended, but now it sounds like you're treating fat people like children. I wouldn't go up to someone on the side of the street for no reason and start talking to them about their diet or asking them to workout with me, but if someone asks you for help, or asks for ideas of how to lose weight, then this is a good start!

• Lol at "offended." People need to grow the fuck up and get thicker skins. Unless you're being outright mean and nasty to individual people, or you're being openly and flagrantly racist or something weird like that, what is there to be offended about? I think you wrote a good take here. People should always strive to exercise and stay fit/thin. Period.

• This video will encourage them

https://youtu.be/tT-Ob_eYEd8

• teach children about health when they're still young so that it become a habit?
    coz most nowdays parents want it all practical.

just like my mom. she make all her children fat in early age until highschool so that she don't need to worry about her kids dating someone else until we're old enough.

• The key is patience. The most of person want lose weight for now. And they are wrong. They should lose 10 kg/year and I am sure it will be easier keep their weight normal once they finish

• I don't give a fuck if fat shaming doesn't work, what they are is shameful and deserve what they get in my opinion.

• also good idea would be if you are overweight you don't get free healthcare until you fix that shit up.

• You've got some sort of fat fetish, don't you?

• Cool article. I agree.

• B-but I like thicc bitches!

• Show more from Guys
    8