This is a nurse in Italy's thoughts on the CoronaVirus

Daniela1982

THIS IS A POST FROM A NURSE IN ITALY. Her page is private so I can’t share. I had to copy and paste. She replied to a question in a nurse group.

I just saw this post: I am writing to you from Bergamo, Italy, at the heart of the coronavirus crisis. The news media in the US has not captured the severity of what is happening here. I am writing this post because each of you, today, not the government, not the school district, not the mayor, each individual citizen has the chance, today to take actions that will deter the Italian situation from becoming your own country’s reality. The only way to stop this virus is to limit contagion. And the only way to limit contagion is for millions of people to change their behavior today.

If you are in Europe or the US you are weeks away from where we are today in Italy.

I can hear you now. “It’s just a flu. It only affects old people with preconditions”

There are 2 reasons why Coronavirus has brought Italy to it’s knees. First it is a flu is devastating when people get really sick they need weeks of ICU – and, second, because of how fast and effectively it spreads. There is 2 week incubation period and many who have it never show symptoms.

When Prime Minister Conte announced last night that the entire country, 60 million people, would go on lock down, the line that struck me most was “there is no more time.” Because to be clear, this national lock down, is a hail mary. What he means is that if the numbers of contagion do not start to go down, the system, Italy, will collapse.

Why? Today the ICUs in Lombardy are at capacity – more than capacity. They have begun to put ICU units in the hallways. If the numbers do not go down, the growth rate of contagion tells us that there will be thousands of people who in a matter of a week? two weeks? who will need care. What will happen when there are 100, or a 1000 people who need the hospital and only a few ICU places left?

On Monday a doctor wrote in the paper that they have begun to have to decide who lives and who dies when the patients show up in the emergency room, like what is done in war. This will only get worse.

There are a finite number of drs, nurses, medical staff and they are getting the virus. They have also been working non-stop, non-stop for days and days. What happens when the drs, nurses and medical staff are simply not able to care for the patients, when they are not there?

And finally for those who say that this is just something that happens to old people, starting yesterday the hospitals are reporting that younger and younger patients – 40, 45, 18, are coming in for treatment.

You have a chance to make a difference and stop the spread in your country. Push for the entire office to work at home today, cancel birthday parties, and other gatherings, stay home as much as you can. If you have a fever, any fever, stay home. Push for school closures, now. Anything you can do to stop the spread, because it is spreading in your communities – there is a two week incubation period – and if you do these things now you can buy your medical system time.

And for those who say it is not possible to close the schools, and do all these other things, locking down Italy was beyond anyone’s imagination a week ago.

Soon you will not have a choice, so do what you can now.

Please share.

Some people think there is nothing to worry about, that it is no worse then the Flu, but remember that the Swine Flu Epidemic in 1918 killed from 30 to 100 million, depending on who you ask. The people then didn't think the Swine Flu was anything to worry about either. I hope we take the steps now to keep it from infecting everyone.

This is a nurse in Italys thoughts on the CoronaVirus
I feel like utter shit!
16
3

Most Helpful Guys

• I'm from Italy, my fiancée is a nurse and I confirm everything that's written here.
    This is not "just a flu".
    100 deads per night is not "just a flu".
    We are struggling on our last legs and it's disheartening to see people downplay what's a full on emergency.
    My fiancée works 10+ hours shift a day, when she comes home she can just crawl to bed.
    Please, take what's happening in our country as a lesson.
    Take this seriously and take precautions now.
    It's faster than you think.
    One day we were talking about China, the day after our region was in quarantine. The day after the whole country was under lockdown.

I look outside the window and see a dead land - nobody in the street, no cars, not even a dog barking.
    Please take this as a lesson, not for us but for you.
    Is this still revelant?
    • Owen3

That's so messed up that media is not even taking it seriously. Who's don't see it as severe and we should a lot of lives will be lost. but thank you, God bless

• @Owen3 it was the same here, our media and TGs didn't take it seriously until it was a nation-wide epidemic.

• Owen3

I'm already stocked up and it won't be long until we're f'ed

• October808
    Yup this is what most humans do not grasp.

Do you subscribe to Peak Prosperity on YouTube? He predicted what is happening now, 49 days ago.
    "Experts" called him a troll and said it's not a pandemic. 49 days ago. They had his Wikipedia page deleted to prop themselves up as being the all knowing authorities.
    Experts also called the Chinese and Indian scientists who knew this would become a pandemic liars.

It's disgusting.
    Is this still revelant?
    • October808

May I share this post on my FB page? I'm educatng people at this point. It's up to them if they take it seriously.

• I got this from my sister off FB so sure, share.

• October808

My good friend in Portland just lost his good friend to the virus a few hours ago.

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

314
  • MORPHEUS_12
    I listened to this video on YouTube the other day talking about the impact the virus has had on Italy. It's very interesting if you have the time.
  • OlderAndWiser
    There is a very obvious error in this post. The 1918 pandemic was actually caused by the Spanish flu, an H1N1 variant that had avian origins; it was NOT the swine flu.. The CDC estimates that the Spanish flu caused 50 million deaths worldwide with about 675,000 occurring in the United States.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/1918-pandemic-h1n1.html

Comparing the gravity of a pandemic from 1918 to a pandemic today is an apples-to-oranges mistake. General knowledge of sanitation, public health standards, and available medical care is radically different today.

The more apropos comparison actually is the swine flu which occurred in 2009-2010. The CDC estimated there were 60.8 million cases (range: 43.3-89.3 million), 274,304 hospitalizations (range: 195,086-402,719), and 12,469 deaths (range: 8868-18,306) in the United States due to the (H1N1) pdm09 virus.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/2009-h1n1-pandemic.html

The mistake in the post is so obvious that it makes me question its authenticity. Of course you have offered this with good intentions and I am not suggesting that anyone should disregard valid health concerns. However, the media inciting people to hysteria will accomplish nothing good.
    • That last part was my own thought and I may have gotten the flu strain crossed, but the results were not a fabrication. Plus this who thread was taken from a nurse in Italy and also not what I wrote. I just thought the importance of what she said - you know how things don't always get out what is going on in other countries - is something to consider as half the people are scoffers and the other half are at least getting prepared if they have to hunker down. So don't discount a first hand account because of a mistake I made.

• October808

Regardless of the numbers, nCoV-2019 (or whatever you want to name it weekly) is only roughly (officially) 49 days old and it's almost to the halfway death point of the (H1N1) pdm09 virus worldwide already. Times that by the doublng rate of 1.5 days for new cases and you have much to be concerned about. So I won't fault Daniela for the numbers. Having technology clearly hasn't made humans any wiser during pandemics.

• Miristheiss
    So are young, healthy people getting this and dying or mainly elderly sick people and this pushes them over the edge?

What is the real threat of death to average person?

Italy has lots of deaths... who is dying.

Elderly need to take extreme caution.
  • Anoniemus
    I know this is serious. It’s sad that Right Wingers weren’t and aren’t taking it serious. There are plenty of news stations revealing the severity.
  • COMMODOREII
    That is very true. It is a global epidemic. Possibly one that could dwarf the ebola epidemic of Africa or the Plague during the middle ages. We must work to make sure it does not happen.
  • monkeynutts
    It's a tragedy, but we have to be tough, and we have to be brave. This is the time to make a stand against the microbes that have plagued or species for centuries.
  • Daniel_Dano
    I feel like the virus is man made and different variants are spread in the world , China, Iran and Italy have been devastated while other countries haven't been much.
  • madgoat
    Thanks Daniela. That's the first informative description of the reality of covid that I've seen.
  • tHISpLACEiSbONKERZ
  • Surely
    Thank you for sharing.
    At last someone we can actually believe.
  • Max1109
    I was not knowing Italy was suffering this hard.
    We should definitely take a move
    • October808

Subscribe to Peak Prosperity on YouTube. People like that are badly needed.

• Avicenna
    Wow, thanks for that
  • BoobMan
    Wow--crazy!
  • alance99
    I hope situation improves soon there
  • SecretGardenBlood65
    Good take.
  • Cahittinsan_
    Very bad. 😣.
  • Anonymous
    Thanks for posting this. There have been a lot of posts here recently from people trying to downplay the severity of the problem, saying the government an the media are over-hyping it. They're not, in fact f anything they are downplaying it in the interest of preventing panic and overbuying of supplies.

One question though. What you posted was written by Cristina Higgins, and American living in Italy with her husband and children. Her Facebook post has gone viral in the last few days and there is a lot of information on the internet about it, but I haven't been able to find any evidence that she is a nurse. May I ask were you got that information?