Is depression a deal breaker for you in a relationship?

• Yes
  • No

42110

Most Helpful Guy

• It’s not a deal breaker and if it happens during the relationship and the person is willing to seek help if it persists for an extended amount of time then it’s fine. Everyone goes through depression. Sometimes it’s just a bad day where everything is off. Or it could be a week or two where you you just fee up for anything. When it persists longer and there doesn’t seem to be a light at the end of the tunnel that’s when I would want the person to seek help. Being depressed too often or for long periods is not good for a relationship.

Most Helpful Girl

• If the person has every single thing you look for in a partner, then I don't see why you'd make their diagnosis an issue. There are millions of people walking around with mental illness -including myself. At 13 I was diagnosed with clinical depression. I have bad days and good days, low times and high times. Does that make me a bad person or a subpar romantic partner? No. Nor does it mean you'll have an easier relationship with a person who doesn't suffer from depression.
    If they're working seriously on combating their depression through prescriptions or/and therapy, then it's worth pursuing. It’s easy to say that it’s too much of a hassle to date someone who's depressed, but it’s also easy to say that it shouldn’t be an issue. It’s not easy, but then again neither is love.