Is depression a deal breaker for you in a relationship?

Is depression a deal breaker for you in a relationship?

• Yes
    Vote A
  • No
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

2|2

Most Helpful Guy

• It’s not a deal breaker and if it happens during the relationship and the person is willing to seek help if it persists for an extended amount of time then it’s fine. Everyone goes through depression. Sometimes it’s just a bad day where everything is off. Or it could be a week or two where you you just fee up for anything. When it persists longer and there doesn’t seem to be a light at the end of the tunnel that’s when I would want the person to seek help. Being depressed too often or for long periods is not good for a relationship.

0|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• If the person has every single thing you look for in a partner, then I don't see why you'd make their diagnosis an issue. There are millions of people walking around with mental illness -including myself. At 13 I was diagnosed with clinical depression. I have bad days and good days, low times and high times. Does that make me a bad person or a subpar romantic partner? No. Nor does it mean you'll have an easier relationship with a person who doesn't suffer from depression.
    If they're working seriously on combating their depression through prescriptions or/and therapy, then it's worth pursuing. It’s easy to say that it’s too much of a hassle to date someone who's depressed, but it’s also easy to say that it shouldn’t be an issue. It’s not easy, but then again neither is love.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 109

• No, but...

I did leave a woman because of her suicidality. I didn't want to say the wrong thing and not know it until I learned later that she'd killed herself because of it.

I'm an optimist, and a myth builds up in my head that the relationship will be so magical that she will be happy, and eventually even become happy independent of my love. But in that woman's case, I got a little scared.

0|1
    0|0
  • Not at all, If my girlfriend is in depression, i would love her more and take more care of her instead of finding it a turn off !, People need to realize that when your partner is going through worst time, then you should love them more instead of making their life more worse !

2|2
    0|0
  • I adore the mind that can consider itself thoroughly enough for the wielder to fall victim to its depths.

That said, if their depression results in an active avoidance of me, or frequent lashes without apology or otherwise recompense, I may be forced to remove myself from a toxic situation.

I'm happy to put in the extra work to help a doleful soul see beauty again. But I need to know that there is reciprocation, and appreciation. They should expect the same of me, when I'm down in the dumps.

0|0
    0|0
  • I wouldn't think so, no. I have never had to deal with a partner who has depression before, so I can't say for certain either way, but I would like to think that I would be able to be patient and help them through it, especially since I myself struggle to get through the day a lot of the time. I haven't been diagnosed with depression, so I won't claim to have it, but I would like to think that I could at least empathise or relate to my partner on some level and try to help them through it.

That being said, they should also be seeking professional help. You can't help someone if they aren't willing to accept any help, and I understand if they are just frightened because it can be scary for many people, but if they are simply unwilling to get any kind of help, then it probably would be a deal breaker. It might be rather cold of me, but I don't want to be in a relationship with someone who has something like depression and is aware of it, but is unwilling to seek any help and doesn't even try. I wouldn't even want to be around that person to be honest, because I have known someone like that and they were very annoying, so I just wouldn't be able to deal.

0|0
    0|0
  • You are dating the person not their mood or period of life. But it kind of also depends on the level of depression to some extent. Like a depressive disorder is different from being depressed. And being mentally unstable is different from not being socially stable. But that being said the relationship is about the person, in fact the main reason they are depressed is because they were waiting for someone like you.

0|0
    0|0
  • Untreated depression could be a problem, but it all depends how their treatment and coping skills are working. Some of my family has depression and we talked about it openly so it's not a big deal for me. What I look for is, can I deal with them the way they are most of the time.

0|0
    0|0
  • It depends. Some people will just give up and not try to keep working on it no matter how much you encourage them. Eventually that'll take a toll on you and it probably won't be a good relationship.
    But if they're trying to work through it, I deff would try to be there to help get the person I know they can be out of them.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm somewhat depressed myself (the rule is not to tell a psychologist because they'll just label you and your life coild easily change for the worse lol). I don't mind if my partner is depressed. I'd most definitely get a lot of satisfaction knowing that I'm the reason for some of her happiness and making life a brighter experience.

0|1
    1|0
  • Most people go through depression. It's how you know when you need to fix something in your life. I'd be happy to help my baby by giving her support an advice based off my own experiences.

0|0
    0|0
  • Because when people are depressed, they are quite confident in their depression and will be very confident towards not changing for the better. That's what I believe. But then, I'm never depressed before maybe I won't even be, because of my healthy mental state, but can anyone tell me why they would be with someone with depression?

0|0
    0|0
  • Depression is a tragic illness , it effects both partners. We're it appears to be one person's suffering, it always effects the other partner. It limits activities putting and intamacy. The afflicted partner inadvertently causes there mate to suffer also.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's not a deal-breaker, but I can attest from experience that dating someone who struggles with depression can be very frustrating and emotionally exhausting, particularly when they don't want to open up.

0|0
    0|0
  • "Depression is a series of symptoms that signify life's not going well, or how it should be going." - as Jordan Peterson puts it.

Stating to suffer from depression is putting one's self in the position of victimhood.

You want to be careful in your speech towards such people - but do you have what it takes to take in all of the stuff he or she has not been willing or "able" to engage in him- or herself? Will you be able to not let it affect you?

0|0
    0|0
  • Everyone is different, in some people their depression can be a bigger problem and the impact it has on the relationship could become a deal-breaker, but simply having depression isn't. Like with every other aspect of a person, it depends on the individual.

0|0
    0|0
  • No I suffer from depression and have to take pills everyday so I would understand what they are going through

3|0
    0|0
  • For me, relationship is a deal saver for my depression.

Depression is nothing but just a lack of confidence in you...

Relationships always heal your depression. Never let your depression break your relationships..

1|1
    0|0
    • That's not all depression is, it is so much more.

• If it is so much more, then there would be different situation then.
      I have replied to the question where the term "depression" is used.

• I think I would know what depression is.

• As long as i can make her happy, i'm fine with it
    But if i put all my heart n soul into making her happy but she stays depressed, then that affects our relationship and future, and she should probably go find someone more compatible with her than me

0|1
    0|0
  • That's fine, but if she's dating me thinking I'll be the solution to her depression, then no. I don't like dating people where they have no solutions for themselves and requires another person to think and find the answers for them.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes, it is. I don't want to get involved with such women. We can be friends, fine. But to have her depression wear me down, no. Just no. It is unfortunate, but I have no obligation to do that to myself.

1|0
    2|0
  • If your girls are depressed... there is a good chance that you might have had a hand in it. But if she was always depressed some hash wax would help her out. Thc=the emotional armor cbd=the cure. One love!

0|0
    0|0
  • I think it depends on the maturity of the relationship. Life throws so much adversity at us that something like depression is among many other possible issues. I think you can learn a lot about yourself and partner when going through and addressing the issue. In the end, if you find that maybe you aren't strong enough or patient enough to help you partner through it, then maybe it's time to move on.

0|0
    0|0
  • Depression is something that more people deal with than you realize. Some of the best people I know battle depression yes it's hard to be on the other side of it but working together and understanding depression makes it a little easier and you know that it never lasts forever

0|0
    0|0
  • It's more of an opportunity to restart your relationship with a new base by first knowing the reasons for your depression then telling it forcefully to your partner then it culminates into a small sweet fight ending with mind blowing sex and then you have a renewed relationship with the same enthusiasm and excitement that every new couple has... Just make sure that during the fight you do not say anything which just pinches your partners 💓

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope. In fact, I'd love to try to help a person who is facing depression by being as close to them as possible. :)

1|1
    0|0
  • If its mild then its not a problem. I can work through it and help her out of her depression.

A severe depressed person that just want to stay depressed and not seek help then I'm out.

I don't want negativity around me.

0|0
    0|0
  • No because i know what its like and not dating a person because they have depression wold be just plan asinine. And besides sence I've been there i wold be able to help that person when they hit a rough patch.

1|0
    0|0
  • Nah I dated a girl like that. Once you really get to know them, they're the sweetest and best kind of people

2|0
    0|0
  • I'm somewhat depressed myself, so I understand it. If I had a girlfriend and she was feeling down, I'd cuddle with her and we'd talk through her problems. I'd do my best to cheer her up.

1|0
    0|0
  • It depends on the reason if it's from herself then possibly but if like me your suffering with a thyroid problem and adrenal gland problem which also leads to depression then no.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't know enough about it. I suppose it depends how bad it was and how it affected my happiness. I'd try to make it, I'd just have to see.

0|0
    0|1
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 41

• I spend a great deal of time helping clients who have severe depression and similar problems. When I am not working I want a partner who can stand on their own two feet and give me as much support as I give them.

0|0
    0|0
  • No one is immune to developing depression. We are all have our limits as to what we can cope with. So it would depend on the severity of his depression and the reason why he was depressed. I wouldn't say it's a definite deal-breaker.

0|0
    0|0
  • It depends how they cope with it. If they do it by including me in their life then I won't leave but if they shut me out and ignore me and refuse to care about my feelings as much as I care about theirs then I will conclude they are not ready for a relationship and should wait until they are ready before they date me or somebody else.

0|0
    0|0
  • From personal experience, depression makes a person stronger in the end, making them a better person. It gives them emotional intelligence.
    I have seen depression tear a relationship apart, but there are healthy ways to keep boundaries and to help the other without being dragged down by them.

0|0
    0|0
  • Unfortunately yes because I really get affected by the vibes of people I spend time with there’s only so much positivity you can radiate if someone has a problem for every solution I’d help someone with depression but I wouldn’t be in a relationship with them

1|0
    0|0
  • No. I have undiagnosed depression. My partner is on antidepressants sometimes. But rejected someone becithey have depression or 'give off bad vibes' or some weird shut like that, is wrong. Depression is an illness and to make it better and to help people cope, we need understanding people who are willing to sacrifice for us.

0|0
    0|1
  • i have to be honest, yes, unless ur on meds or something. because I've had a family member who had depression and im not strong enough to cope with it. so i feel awful for even saying it but yes. I don't know if being a teen had anything to do with it but it fucked me up

0|0
    0|0
  • If someone has Depression and Not even Treating it, It can Ruin Friendships, Relationships.
    The older they get, The worse it Becomes. xx

0|0
    0|0
  • No its how you deal with it or plans on dealing wiht it.

0|1
    0|0
  • Iv'e experienced depression before so Im not finna experience being around that energy again. I'll definitely be their friend and support him, but I can't start a relationship with someone who's in that state of mind

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope. But I feel it's not the first thing you share either. Like, build trust and get to know each other, but you don't define yourself as your illness. Care about each other then say "hey I got depression, just so you know it happens sometimes"

0|0
    0|0
  • Um if the person is a nice person then I don't see why depression would be a deal breaker. But I'm depressed and previously thought that it would be damaging for us...

0|0
    0|0
  • Of course not. If anything I'd feel closer to them since I also suffer with depression. I would understand where they're coming from.

0|2
    0|0
  • No but it can be difficult.

You need to be prepared for the good and really bad days. Especially if they have problems with opening up about how they feel deep inside.

0|0
    0|0
  • No, I know how hard it can be and being with someone who also suffers from depression could actually be better than being with a person who never truly experienced it.

0|0
    0|0
  • nope. we'd have something in common and at least they'd understand me.

1|0
    0|0
  • No. Who s not depressed in this fudgin world these days?

0|2
    0|0
  • Depends on the situation. If I know that a person had been medically diagnosed with depression, I’d have to see how things are before I made the commitment to be with them. I’ve seen people use depression to their advantage to make others feel bad for not catering to them and it’s very unattractive to listen to someone that is ALWAYS talking down on themselves and negative about everything. It’s very exhausting to keep them up all the time. If it were a situation that I was already with the person and they became depressed or dealing with something then I wouldn’t leave their side. I’d stick around and figure it out or work it out with him.

0|0
    0|0
  • With my husband no. I've know he's had bi-polar depression for a very long time, even before he was formally diagnosed. I would never leave him in his times of crisis because I didn't "feel" like dealing with it. When I said for better or worse I 100% meant it and will always be there for him even when he thinks he's not worth it. Because to me he's worth more than he'll ever be able to see.

For any future relationship (romantic or otherwise) if there's obvious mental health concerns I would honestly not invest myself in the relationship. Mental health disorders are horrible for those that suffer from them and exhausting for those around them. It takes a lot out of someone to be a true support system. The pain the sufferer feels radiates to you, so on top of feeling their pain with them, you feel helpless (because you really can't "fix" them), lonely, isolated and guilty when you think I can't do this anymore knowing they really can't help it.
    Ps I'm a mental health nurse 😉

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope it isn’t. I’ve dated guys with depression and it sucks, I try to help them, but that doesn’t mean he’s less attractive 🤗

0|0
    0|0
  • Well I have a lot of depression... but since I'm in a relationship my boyfriend is trying to help me

0|2
    0|0
  • If they won't seek help for it then it could potentially be one.

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends on how they handle it and what they expect from me.

0|0
    0|0
  • What crappy choices. Where's the maybe? Depression is a broad statement.

0|0
    0|2
  • help them get over depression instead of calling it quits.

0|0
    0|0
  • No I suffer depression and anxiety so I really hope not

0|0
    0|0
  • I feel like the illness is not the deal breaker, but whether and how much you attempt to battle it.

0|0
    0|0
  • No both my partner and I suffer from it and we are helping each other.

0|0
    0|0
  • I suffer from depression myself, so no.

0|0
    0|0
  • Not at all.

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Girls

Recommended myTakes