Breastfeeding: Why Is It So Controversial?

BurCelf

DISCLAIMER *I am NOT putting down mothers who chose to formula feed. I believe as long as your child is fed, that is great!*

Today, 77% of mothers breastfeed their babies in the USA which is a significant increase from the 55% in 1993 according to parenting.com.

I am a mother of an 8 month old daughter and if you can't already guess from the title, she's breastfed. I used to be scared of breastfeeding without a cover and especially in public. What would everyone think? Would people make fun of me for it?

My stepmother bought me a nursing cover because she believes you should cover yourself if you're breastfeeding your baby. The first time I gave that thing a try was also the first time I decided to breastfeed in public. I was at Red Robin's and I pulled that cover out of the diaper bag and attempted to pull it over me and situate it. I literally could not get it to cooperate and stay out of my daughter's way when she was eating. I'm sure I looked like a lunatic. So I looked around and finally said, "You know what? This would be a LOT easier if I just didn't use it." So I took it off and went on feeding my daughter. My stepmom made a comment saying I should use it and I got a couple nasty glares from people in the restaurant. That did not stop me, though.

The sole purpose for women having breasts is so that we can feed our babies. That is why we produce milk. So, why are people so opposed to breastfeeding? Why do so many people have a problem with us breastfeeding without a cover? What is the difference between the amount of boob shown in a low cut shirt, and the amount of boob shown while breastfeeding?

Breastfeeding can actually protect a baby from getting sick and can even prevent cancers! According to the La Leche Legue, "Breastfeeding has been shown to be protective against many illnesses, including painful ear infections, upper and lower respiratory ailments, allergies, intestinal disorders, colds, viruses, staph, strep and e coli infections, diabetes, juvenile rheumatoid arthritis, many childhood cancers, meningitis, pneumonia, urinary tract infections, salmonella, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome(SIDS) as well as lifetime protection from Crohn's Disease, ulcerative colitis, some lymphomas, insulin dependent diabetes, and for girls, breast and ovarian cancer."

This is why I chose to breastfeed my daughter and why I feel no shame in it.

I have written this article in the hopes that I might have educated someone today. I do not discourage formula feeding; my goal here is simply to educate people on breastfeeding.

93
60

Most Helpful Guy

• OlderAndWiser
    Too many people think of boobs as a sexual organ and, of course, they are kind of fun for guys to play with :), but. . . breastfeeding is very important.

"Your breasts produce colostrum beginning during pregnancy and continuing through the early days of breastfeeding. This special milk is yellow to orange in color and thick and sticky. It is low in fat, and high in carbohydrates, protein, and antibodies to help keep your baby healthy. Colostrum is extremely easy to digest, and is therefore the perfect first food for your baby. It is low in volume (measurable in teaspoons rather than ounces), but high in concentrated nutrition for the newborn. Colostrum has a laxative effect on the baby, helping him pass his early stools, which aids in the excretion of excess bilirubin and helps prevent jaundice.

Colostrum actually works as a natural and 100% safe vaccine. It contains large quantities of an antibody called secretory immunoglobulin A (IgA) which is a new substance to the newborn. Before your baby was born, he received the benefit of another antibody, called IgG, through your placenta. IgG worked through the baby's circulatory system, but IgA protects the baby in the places most likely to come under attack from germs, namely the mucous membranes in the throat, lungs, and intestines.

Colostrum has an especially important role to play in the baby's gastrointestinal tract. A newborn's intestines are very permeable. Colostrum seals the holes by "painting" the gastrointestinal tract with a barrier which mostly prevents foreign substances from penetrating and possibly sensitizing a baby to foods the mother has eaten.

Colostrum also contains high concentrations of leukocytes, protective white cells which can destroy disease-causing bacteria and viruses."

https://www.lalecheleague.org/faq/colostrum.html
    Is this still revelant?
    • BurCelf

I agree! I've done a lot of research on breastfeeding but I never knew this fact!! Thank you for sharing! That is awesome!

• I know about this from having raised several litters of orphaned kittens and one litter of orphaned possums!

• GuysGuy

Hey @BurCelf. Check my post that you seemed fond of toward Pheonix98's ignorant comment about "... being respectful about it".

Deleted and blocked... most immature thing I've seen on here yet

Most Helpful Girl

• CHARismatic110
    I personally don't have a problem with breastfeeding in public. I personally wouldn't do it without a cover and right in the open, but that's just me. I think someone else here said it, but what bugs me is the whole glorification of it. Like it's breastfeeding. It's been done for years. Here's the thing, if you do it in public, people WILL look. No way around it. If your whole purpose of breastfeeding in public is to shame the first person who's eyes may wander to you, then that's the issue I have.
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

5992
  • John_Lion_84
    Yes! to the question. Why is it controversial? Specially when this started cooming to other countries but mostly the U. S.
    So for the American people it's not cool to breastfeed in public, but public sex is?
    Breastfeeding is the most natural behavior, people's attitude towards it is very over rated, for the sick people will always have the sexuall thoughts when they see a breast, well it's not their fault, it's their parents fault. Should smack these people on the brain.
    There is nothing to be shamed of, the people who would think it's wrong should be shamed. I get frustrated when i read about such controversials.
    • BurCelf

Thank you so much!!! I comepletely agree with you! I will never understand those that don't agree with it. If you go to the woman's comments an anonymous girl compares breastfeeding to masturbation and said breastmilk has HIV which it DOES NOT. I can't believe the stupidity of some people!

• CasaNorba
    kick ass article sis, I agree with you all the way... I dont think there is anything wrong with doing mother nature's work!

I feel so disgusted how people nowadays can actually have a problem with this now in 2016. now that I look back I think I once made a post of this on America (that I know of) is basically the only country where people have so much tolerance for pornography yet they get bitch-fits and tempertamtrums whenever they see woman actually using their breast for what it was made for.
    • BurCelf

Thank you so much!!!

I know right? Like so many people can get off to women's breasts in pornography and stuff but the second we take out our breasts to feed our child, its suddenly gross? It's absolutely ridiculous!

• CasaNorba

haha extremely ridiculous!

I think I could say the same about couples making out in public. you know I also find it a little ironic how we again have high tolerance for pornography and romantic novels and movies yet when the majority see couples hugging and tongue kissing everybody again has bitchfits and tempertantrums...

"HEY, this isn't a motel!"

"can you not do that in front of my CHILDREN!"

• BurCelf

Omg thats so true!!! I swear it's like the most aggravating thing when they're like "ew get a room!" LOL soooo annoying.

• capturemyheartnow
    While doing breast feeding your child the interest of your child should be of prime importance. When you do it in public , the child should be able to breathe fresh air and be able to look around in the surroundings. The child should not be treated as a prisoner , to get her food under some unwanted cloth , towel , blanket or covers. Mothers as parents should understand that the primary function of the breasts is not as a sexual object of beauty but as a organ to feed your child. Husbands and grand parents should encourage the women to free their breasts for feeding their child. It should not be considered as a shame to do such a good thing even in very public place. The whole views of the society needs to be changes to accept the fact that mothers have aright to feed their child in the best possible and natural way.
    • BurCelf

Thank you very very much for understanding this and commenting! I agree 100%! I don't understand why a lot of people don't get this.

• TadCurious
    Great myTake! I support moms breastfeeding their babies wherever they need to.
  • Girlish96
    Sexualization is the problem here. Guys on the road are waiting for a chance to get a glance at the boobs.
  • Some breasts are really, really gross. Just understand that we don't want to see it.
    • Red_Arrow

Your eyelids can protect you. Just lower them instead of staring.

• @Red_Arrow so you have no problem with big hairy man tits in public while you're trying to eat lunch?

• Red_Arrow

I would choose not to look at him. See how simple that is. But I hope you are not inferring that nursing mothers have big hairy tits.

• Yeah, I have literally no problem with breast feeding. None at all. Breasts were evolved to feed children, and no one should take offense when a mom chooses to feed her child. Dont get me wrong, breasts have always had a sexual connotation to them, when not being used to feed a child, but that is where it ends. I think a mom feeding her child is a wonderful and beautiful thing. I think that those that get butt hurt about it, need to grow up, and either give the mom her space, and respectfully ignore it, or move somewhere where its not visible. Honest to goodness a child's health and making sure it is nourished far out weighs any petty idiotic view a person has about the human form.
    • BurCelf

I completely agree!! Thank you so much!!

• you're welcome! I can't understand people that have a problem with it.

• BurCelf

Me either. It bugs the crap out of me!

• anonman32
    i think it should just be normal for women to breastfeed.
    • BurCelf

Thank you!! So many people do not 🙁

• anonman32

women have been doing it for thousands of years, why should they stop now? they should be able to breastfeed whenever the their baby is hungry.

• BurCelf

I totally agree!! Some people are just uneducated and/ignorant towards the subject. I mean like I said, the whole reason we have breasts is to feed our babies from them Lol

• DonkeyRick69
    Most guys are not sexually attracted to breastfeeding mothers. Guys get a bad rap on that.Breastfeeding: Why Is It So Controversial?Breastfeeding: Why Is It So Controversial?
  • Anjellygirlyeah
    Its not that boobs can be sexual. Whats annoying to me is that chicks post pictures of them breast feeding. Like wtf why do you need to post that? I get it, it's a beautiful thing. Bonding with your child, but posting it is gonna piss people off saying boobs are sexual or other bullshit
  • Dipsy
    Yes breastfeeding is good, but you can at least turn around and stand in a corner and do it.
    When I'm in a restaurant I don't want to see a baby drinking on a breast. That just ruins my appetite lol.

Just don't breastfeed while everyone can see it/being very obvious. Turning around makes things easier
  • happykiwi16
    Any place besides a restaurant is fine. It's not rude of me to ask you to not do it in front of me when I am about to eat at a restaurant if your table is across from mine, nor is it rude for you to whip it out on a park bench. Babies are hungry and by all means feed them regardless if you have nothing packed, but if you are going to be in a situation where you can pump beforehand to avoid spoiling other's appetites when you are in a public place specified for eating, that would be polite and appreciated by those around you. I won't put you down for doing your job as a mother, just don't negatively affect others with your actions. I would say that to anybody, regardless of their situation, breastfeeding or something else.
    • BurCelf

Thank you for your comment :)

• MrQuick
    People who hate breastfeeding are missing out. How can you? Let's break it down quantitatively;
    1. Boobs are awesome! They are sexual body parts despite their anatomical & physiological purpose. Some tits are down right beautiful.
    2. Boobs get bigger when they produce milk! Score. Read: milky boobs are bigger boobs!
    3. A beautiful part of a woman's body..., produces an incredible food! Double duty score!
    I banged my wife more once her tits got huge from the milk. I don't see a down side.
  • Smmyskittles
    I fully intend to breast feed my children (when... er... IF I ever have any).

Very nice article. :)
  • badluckjp
    It's looked down upon because it's awkward to make eye contact with somebody breastfeeding their child, it's not that I'm against it but people and I include myself feel uncomfortable when this happens, just that some people feel entitled enough to frown upon people who do it in a *public* place.
  • Bitterpill
    I really don't understand why its such a problem for some people, it doesn't bother me at all if a mother wants to breastfeed her baby in public.
    • BurCelf

Thank you!!! I won't ever understand it either.

• Mitosisosmosis
    I didn't know it's so controversial but it's obvious it's nature's way. With formula it's made with the same ingredients so mother's can be more discreet with their titles. Just go to the store and buy breast pump. That way you drain the boobies and feed the infant.
  • Gommers
    Even if breasts aren't perceived as sexual by you or women, men ate hardwired to associate breasts with marrying as larger breasts generally relate to better ability to feed the child. Like it or not, breasts are tied to sexual health and ability in women. Either understand that men will look, women will be appalled, or do it in private.
  • xBlackxGirlx
    It makes me extremely uncomfortable to see women breastfeed without a cover. I don't know why, even though I'm not looking it's just really weird to me and brings back a lot of uncomfortable memories.
  • jacquesvol
    Because some frustrated people are obsessed with breasts.
  • cutiegirlygirl
    I think society and media have created the problem. Breast implants simulate "Mother's Breasts Full of Milk" which have been turned in Porn Fantasy Breasts.
    Plus movies have made big women's breast the center of more male fantasy.
    But don't forget for women Victoria's Secret's "push up bras" to simulate "Bigger Breasts" to attract men. But many men also have a fantasy about young fertile women whom they can make pregnant. Breasts full of milk = young and fertile and that is a sexual turn on for men. I think breastfeeding fears relate to the idea that men might "get turned on sexually" by the sight of big full breasts because it is equal to a "sexual turn on" for many men in our present sociaty.
    • BurCelf

Thank you for your reply! That's very true

• Donanski
    Maybe if we all stopped seeing breasts as something sexual, it wouldn't be so much of a problem for women to take their breasts out and feed their baby. I don't really have a problem with it and I think the only reason other people are bothered by it is because they see breasts as sexual body parts. But at least most of us don't live in countries where we have to cover our ankles. I'm just saying, it could be a lot worse but we are far ahead of issues like these compared to many other countries. Just not quite there yet.
  • AndyOh
    I am all for breastfeeding an infant. There is nothing wrong with it. Breastfeeding has so many positives for both mother and baby.
    I do support a little modesty with it as most of the world finds the naked breast also a sexual connection so society demands that you keep those babies covered... pardon the pun.
    And yes, the physical purpose of the breast is to feed the baby. Other purposes are to give you a figure to fit that dress or top, to give you attention from the amount of cleavage you show, and to give your partner something to play with (no need to give an example here).
  • GuysGuy
    Tits have one sole human purpose... feeding babies. Period.

Sure there's pretty ones and not so pretty ones, and they can be curvy and be the ultimate physical feature of femininity. But they're for feeding babies.
    My wife's got fantastic tits (I mean f**king FANTASTIC). But guess what? She's got great legs and sexy lips, and drop-dead gorgeous eyes too. Her tits fed our two kids... LIKE THEY WERE DESIGNED TO DO.

Of course, some women have no choice and cannot breastfeed... but that is super rare. Most choose not to or just give-up. And that's irresponsible.

Your job as a parent is to do the best thing you can for your child. It is widely known and documented that breastfeeding is exctly that.

Grow the f**k up
    • GuysGuy

Typical. And incredibly ignorant by choice there Pheonix98. Nice.
      Blocked and deleted my reply? You're here posting supportive comments toward cultural sexual discrimination and then go delete and block a reply that illustrates a woman's shaming experience in the face of opinions like yours about breastfeeding? An illustration that makes your stance look pretty darn immature and calls out a narrow-minded opinion and obvious lack of a rounded education outside your own little bubble?
      Wow dude. Wow.

• Primemutton
    The root of the problem is the sexualisation of female breasts , a mans chest and nipples are not and nor should a woman's thus it shouldn't be a problem. isn't a baby being fed of more importance than someone being offended by a nipple?
  • Words_and_Wisdom
    It's not controversial. It's a false controversy. No one really cares about public breast feeding.
    • BurCelf

Look at all of these comments.

• SleepingSnorlax
    It is awkward
    I have nothing againts it being done either privatly or publicly but it makes me feel uncomfortable
    But hey a babies gotta eat so do your thing
  • admles
    I say if people don't like it, don't look.

It's really that simple.
  • archiz
    I mean... I still wanna see when they do it XD
    dont hate me I am only human O. o
  • sp33d
    Can we just all agree that little children need to feed? Ok, good. Let's get back to more interesting topics and avoid trivial nonsense like this.
  • Overthrow
    Even if you weren't breastfeeding there's nothing wrong with boobs. Just like showing your wrists or your ankles used to be frowned upon; boobs are frowned upon now. Breasts have no sexual function. They are there soley to feed infants until their digestive system can handle real food. The reason anyone has a nasty reaction to boobs in public is because boobs have been sexualised by society.

For a similar example, if I were to make my middle finger erect and show it off to everyone who disagrees with this opinion, most everyone would get very offended. Why? Because society had assigned a nasty meaning to the middle finger. The middle finger, in reality, actually means nothing. It's just another finger.

It's the same with breasts and the place in sexuality we've assigned them.

BS+Repition and Time=Accepted Social Norm
    • Overthrow

*repitition

• mikemx55

You should understand better what sexualising means. Society isn't at blame here dude.

• Overthrow

@mikemx55 definition: "make sexual; attribute sex or a sex role to."

Nope, I understand what the word means and yes that's what has happened with breasts.

• NightOwl8801
    A baby has to eat , I for one don't see a problem with breastfeeding.
    Sure I love breasts but breastfeeding is completely different and I don't sexualize that because you're taking care of your child.
  • AlwaysBelieving
    Thank you for the PSA. I think it's because of the "nip slip" possibility when the kid doesn't have your boob in his/her mouth/
  • YourName123
    I'm sure this will not be a popular opinion (lol), but i would try to avoid being somewhere where overweight women were breastfeeding openly, as I would just rather not see that if I have an alternative, say to eat in a different area of a restaurant.

try to put it in the perspective of old men in speedos, it's not the end of the world but you'd rather not see that

If she is fine, then of course no men would mind.

Again, reality, this is not filtered for political correctness but actual true feelings, I am confident many men agree but would not enjoy the unpopularity of this opinion.
    • What exactly does ones weight have to do with feeding a baby out of curiosity?🤔

• @Rocket_Queen the same thing being 70years old has to do with wearing a speedo, vs, say, Matthew mcConahey (sp) wearing a speedo

• ... that is a ridiculous comparison as a mother feeding her child has absolutely zero to do with parading around in an outfit almost naked. Unless of course she is one of those breastfeeding moms who does it for show in the most inconvenient places while snapping breastfeeding power mom selfies. Only then would your comparison be useful.

• relaxrelax
    go to south america you see titties all the time NO ONE CARES
    AMERICA IS STUPID
  • Krillanr
    There ain't anything wrong with feeding ones kid.

But why must there be something wrong with not wanting to see it?
    What, because it's natural? Like so many other natural things that people don't want to see?

Fluids coming out of a person can make some people queasy, regardless of the purpose. The gunk in your eyes when ya wake up, I find kinda gross. Snot, doesn't bother me in the least. Breastfeeding, makes me cringe a bit.
    Urine, not bothered at all. I don't want it on me, but it's a meh thing to me.

It's down to each person what bugs them. People are complicated that way.
    And I'm workin on it.

So again, feed your kid, you should. Just have some consideration for those who aren't so comfortable with it. That ain't so much to ask, is it?
  • lumberman9
    I don't know why, I mean I don't want kids, but I am happy for those who want kids and end up having them. So if the mothers of those kids want to breast feed well it's natural
  • NearlyNapping
    Some people are so prudish. When I was a kid it was a lot more common. It wasn't an everyday sight, but it was common enough that it didn't get a second glance. Even as a kid who had never seen breasts before it was not a big deal.

Yes, beasts can be sexual. But "can be" doesn't mean they "are" sexual. Sexuality has a lot more to do with suggestion, body language, tease, etc. There is nothing about breast feeding that suggests sexuality. Someone fully clothed can be far more sensual than a few square inches of exposed skin. If someone sexualizes it, that's on them, not on the mother.
  • nightwing66
    Some new mother will give breastfeeding and other Wil like give the bottle. Their is case that I have heard. That some mother issue. Even, the doctor tell the first mother will do
  • 00Lelouchxx
    Lol never understood this u get to see. Boobs for free 😂😂😂😂
  • DaddyRollingStone
    My mother always kept a blanket for breastfeeding in public...

Modesty is a virtue
  • dudeman
    Its your baby. Pump at home or pay for my meal. I dont fart around you.
  • edgyfox
    I think here in Australia it's legal to breast feed at any age as long as it's with your mother. But I may be wrong too.
  • Ahersheykiss
    Glad you feel comfortable feeding in public. I am the first of my female side to breastfeed since the 30's and formula. Both my grandmother and mother thought it "icky". My step-mom was a good role model for breastfeeding, I don't remember her doing it in public, though.
    I never felt comfortable breastfeeding in public. I tried the cover up thing and felt like I suffocated my son. I would go to the bathroom and feed him. I stopped going places during growth spurts. Lol. I was still shy with my next two children. Even around other women, I feel self-conscious. Great Take!
  • goldfinch23
    Honestly, I never understand why breastfeeding is so controversial. Originally I'm from Czech Republic and there is very, VERY common to see breastfeeding in public. And no one cares. Maybe it's because Czechs are very tolerate people. They support the same sex marriage, marihuana is legal (for medical purposes, so you can get prescription from your GP). So if people see mother breastfeeding her baby in public, if they don't like it, they don't look at it. But usually you can see smile across their faces ☺.
    Now I live in the UK and I never saw breastfeeding woman in public here.
    I believe that problem with public breastfeeding is because of American hypocrisy. They are ashamed of breastfeeding but they has biggest porn industry in the world. They are peaceful people, but look at how many wars they've been in even if no one ask them to join, etc.
  • Jager66
    I didn't know it was still controversial
  • CT_CD
    No one wants to grow up knowing that they sucked on their own mothers nipples unless she's a sexy MILF
  • astrOnaut01
    I only came for boobs, I don't care about this controversy.
  • reptocarl
    I think it's ridiculous that it isn't legal
    • BurCelf

Some states allow public breastfeeding and some don't. It's just plane idiocracy that they don't.

• reptocarl

I agree

• hamsandwich
    since dopey arse people have the time of the day to complain about natural bodily functions.
  • cancerman
    Because some people seeing it get offended and some don't. Everybody has an opinion!
  • Satisfyd
    Anyone having an issue with it is ignorant.
  • Popo21
    That titty though
  • feminismisnarcissism
    christians.
    • Pilulu

What do Christians have to do with this?

• BurCelf

What? Lol

• everything. ever heard of puritanism? public breastfeeding is not a problem in Europe, just in America. Puritanism, that's Christianity.

• Pilulu
    Like the others said, dont like, dint look.
  • SnowHearth
    Cool take.
  • WhaChaChaKing
    I don't mind it I just wish they would cover up.
  • Adigelunar
    +Good post
  • Samaal
    Jews did wtc
  • Zack19993
    Mm id love to be breastfed
  • Show More (31)