Breastfeeding: Why Is It So Controversial?

BurCelf

DISCLAIMER *I am NOT putting down mothers who chose to formula feed. I believe as long as your child is fed, that is great!*

Today, 77% of mothers breastfeed their babies in the USA which is a significant increase from the 55% in 1993 according to parenting.com.

I am a mother of an 8 month old daughter and if you can't already guess from the title, she's breastfed. I used to be scared of breastfeeding without a cover and especially in public. What would everyone think? Would people make fun of me for it?

My stepmother bought me a nursing cover because she believes you should cover yourself if you're breastfeeding your baby. The first time I gave that thing a try was also the first time I decided to breastfeed in public. I was at Red Robin's and I pulled that cover out of the diaper bag and attempted to pull it over me and situate it. I literally could not get it to cooperate and stay out of my daughter's way when she was eating. I'm sure I looked like a lunatic. So I looked around and finally said, "You know what? This would be a LOT easier if I just didn't use it." So I took it off and went on feeding my daughter. My stepmom made a comment saying I should use it and I got a couple nasty glares from people in the restaurant. That did not stop me, though.

The sole purpose for women having breasts is so that we can feed our babies. That is why we produce milk. So, why are people so opposed to breastfeeding? Why do so many people have a problem with us breastfeeding without a cover? What is the difference between the amount of boob shown in a low cut shirt, and the amount of boob shown while breastfeeding?

Breastfeeding can actually protect a baby from getting sick and can even prevent cancers! According to the La Leche Legue, "Breastfeeding has been shown to be protective against many illnesses, including painful ear infections, upper and lower respiratory ailments, allergies, intestinal disorders, colds, viruses, staph, strep and e coli infections, diabetes, juvenile rheumatoid arthritis, many childhood cancers, meningitis, pneumonia, urinary tract infections, salmonella, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome(SIDS) as well as lifetime protection from Crohn's Disease, ulcerative colitis, some lymphomas, insulin dependent diabetes, and for girls, breast and ovarian cancer."

This is why I chose to breastfeed my daughter and why I feel no shame in it.

I have written this article in the hopes that I might have educated someone today. I do not discourage formula feeding; my goal here is simply to educate people on breastfeeding.

93
60

Most Helpful Guy

• OlderAndWiser
    Too many people think of boobs as a sexual organ and, of course, they are kind of fun for guys to play with :), but. . . breastfeeding is very important.

"Your breasts produce colostrum beginning during pregnancy and continuing through the early days of breastfeeding. This special milk is yellow to orange in color and thick and sticky. It is low in fat, and high in carbohydrates, protein, and antibodies to help keep your baby healthy. Colostrum is extremely easy to digest, and is therefore the perfect first food for your baby. It is low in volume (measurable in teaspoons rather than ounces), but high in concentrated nutrition for the newborn. Colostrum has a laxative effect on the baby, helping him pass his early stools, which aids in the excretion of excess bilirubin and helps prevent jaundice.

Colostrum actually works as a natural and 100% safe vaccine. It contains large quantities of an antibody called secretory immunoglobulin A (IgA) which is a new substance to the newborn. Before your baby was born, he received the benefit of another antibody, called IgG, through your placenta. IgG worked through the baby's circulatory system, but IgA protects the baby in the places most likely to come under attack from germs, namely the mucous membranes in the throat, lungs, and intestines.

Colostrum has an especially important role to play in the baby's gastrointestinal tract. A newborn's intestines are very permeable. Colostrum seals the holes by "painting" the gastrointestinal tract with a barrier which mostly prevents foreign substances from penetrating and possibly sensitizing a baby to foods the mother has eaten.

Colostrum also contains high concentrations of leukocytes, protective white cells which can destroy disease-causing bacteria and viruses."

https://www.lalecheleague.org/faq/colostrum.html
    Is this still revelant?
    • BurCelf

I agree! I've done a lot of research on breastfeeding but I never knew this fact!! Thank you for sharing! That is awesome!

• I know about this from having raised several litters of orphaned kittens and one litter of orphaned possums!

• GuysGuy

Hey @BurCelf. Check my post that you seemed fond of toward Pheonix98's ignorant comment about "... being respectful about it".

Deleted and blocked... most immature thing I've seen on here yet

Most Helpful Girl

• CHARismatic110
    I personally don't have a problem with breastfeeding in public. I personally wouldn't do it without a cover and right in the open, but that's just me. I think someone else here said it, but what bugs me is the whole glorification of it. Like it's breastfeeding. It's been done for years. Here's the thing, if you do it in public, people WILL look. No way around it. If your whole purpose of breastfeeding in public is to shame the first person who's eyes may wander to you, then that's the issue I have.
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

5992
  • BlueCoyote
    Getting upset by seeing boobs in public is one of the most ridiculous things in the world. I think breastfeeding is great and every mother should freely and openly do it. Screw the idiot haters. They obviously have a giant stick up their butthole. I mean seriously... especially men who whine about this are crazy. There's a woman doing something good for her child and you get a free ticket to see some boobies. That's all I need for my day to become a good day.
  • madhatters4
    you are 100% correct about breast feeding and its benefits. breast feeding can help a child's development (growth), provides boosts to the immune system, prevent illness and help speed the process of helping an unwell infant

ex. my friend recently gave birth and had to have an emergency c-section. the doctor made the incision into the stomach and cervix but also cut the babies face with the scalpel. it left about a 5 inch gash on the babies face. the mother rubbed breast milk on the wound and within days the gash was almost entirely healed.

the simple problem is that as society too many seem to simply associate breasts with sex and sexual arousal. so when a mother breast feeds in public some see this as an obscene action of exposing a sexual organ. i think we are getting away from this and it will continue to improve with awareness.

no mother should have to give 2nd thought to providing their infant with nutrients
    • BurCelf

You're exactly right!!! That's amazing about your friend's child, I am continuously amazed by the benefits of breastmilk!!

• RJGraveyTrain
    People just have an issue (arguably due to religion and societal conditioning) differentiating breasts in their natural light, and in a sexual light. Do I think it's okay to flash your hooters and jump up and down in public? No. But I don't think there's anything wrong with breastfeeding your baby in public without a cover, because the two are very different.

1) Is clearly for the purpose of being outrageous.
    2) Is clearly natural, and as nature intended.

Idiocy, is what it boils down to. People can't handle a naked tit without fear of their purity being robbed from them or popping an inappropriate boner to a child feeding.

• COCOCHANEL
    i agree but still would find it hard to do in public
    • mikemx55

Why is that?

• mikemx55

Oh wait, maybe you're a normal person among all this weirdos

• Brokenheartedx
    I think it's not about the breastfeeding in particular its the going to the press about feeling victimised. Now I was a breastfeeding mum I never ever fed my child in the middle of a shopping centre on a bench, I'd either express some milk in a bottle or go find a quiet corner in a cafe with my back to other people and no one bothered for reason being it was done discreetly while minding other people...
    Once or twice I got told to go feed my baby in a toilet and yes I got offended but never ran to the papers to tell of my outrage..

Now mothers do mass protest breastfeeding kids on steps outside shops.. feeding baby is about bonding with baby in a relaxed environment... not feeding baby and bonding with everyone else out in the cold...

I'm sick of hearing this excuse of, but baby needs fed there and then, if you are out shopping in town baby can wait a few moments until a suitable place is found.. I think it's stupid to feed baby in a busy place what if someone knocks into a woman breastfeeding and knocks baby out the arms onto the hard floor?

That's my only irk... it's now a look at me culture, when it shouldn't ever be...
    One other annoyance of mine is my baby doesn't take from a bottle, so these people don't go to work or ever go out anywhere without baby? I remember pumping milk in my bosses office to have milk to baby to take from bottle when she was with child minder...

The ones who are makin a deal out of breastfeeding is the breastfeeding mothers themselves...

• Red_Arrow

Your baby doesn't take milk from a bottle but you express milk for the baby to take from a bottle. That made no sense.

• My baby didn't take formula milk, I tried when I was going back to work.. so it does make sense. Hence why kept expressing my own milk otherwise she'd have come off the breast at 3 months..

• BurCelf

@Red_Arrow that was what I thought too.

@Brokenheartedx For me personally if my baby is hungry, I'm going to feed her wherever I'm at. I don't think there's anything wrong with it. If I were feeding her formula I would have made her a bottle right then and there.

• pnl86
    I'll tell you what pissed me off about breastfeeding.

I'm at a public place, that's open to the public, and all of a sudden.. a woman feels like breast-feeding her baby. So far, I don't care. I have absolutely zero problem with that so far. She's not bothering anyone. That's how she chooses to take care of her baby, it's legal, good for her. I'm not bothered by seeing maternal boob. That's not how my wife's boobs look like. I'm not going to go back home and think, "Aww man, that boob I saw today was disgusting, now I can't look at my wife the same way." No. I'm totally okay with it so far.

Here is where the rub comes in.

NOW, ALL OF A SUDDEN, JUST BECAUSE I'M A MAN.. I'm treated like a fucking terrorist or automatic sexual predator / sex offender. Both the men and women who work at the store are line, "Sir, you cannot go to the bathroom area, there is a woman breastfeeding her child in the hallway."

I don't give a flying fuck. I just want to go take a piss inside the men's room. This woman is not going to create a "no fly zone" or stop traffic just because she decided to breast-feed her baby. The Earth is still spinning, time is still elapsing, and I'm not getting any younger. I'm not telling her to not go about her business, so don't fucking tell me or prohibit me from going about my business.

That's the only thing that pisses me off about breast-feeding. For as long as store owners and everyone else don't start treating men like, "OMG! There is a boob out in public! Quick, ladies, cover your husband's eyes. Police, HELP! Boob out in public, keep the men away and at bay. Stop sexually harassing this woman and raping her with your eyes!"

If you have a problem with men, then don't start breast-feeding in public. You and your baby are really NOT THAT IMPORTANT that all traffic and commerce should come to a halt around you just because you decided to breast-feed your baby in a public place instead of some private room.
    • BurCelf

I totally agree!!! Did that really happen to you? O. o My whole thing is that I should be able to mind my own business and breastfeed and everyone else mind their own business and do what they want to do. Don't mind me and I won't mind you. If that really happened to you they took it a little to far!

• pnl86

It happens from time to time from wannabe social justice warriors who feel like, "Err, we protect women.. men no allowed here.. you man.. you rape women with your penis.. you have penis.. you are man.. boob here.. you no should be here.. devil.. bad.. go away now."

It's like, fair enough, I understand the point you're trying to communicate to me as a store owner, and how much you value me relative to your female customers. Message received loud and clear. So, I'll tell you what, every guy I know, and every woman we all know, including our wives, girlfriends, sisters, mothers, cousins, etc., are going to actively boycott your store until it goes out of business and turns into a Dick's sporting goods store, but we will all actively support you getting a position as a stock room assistant or any other area of a store where customers don't have any business going into.

• BurCelf

Exactly. I totally see what you're saying and I definitely do not disagree. You're very right!

• Belgie
    I have never seen the big deal with breastfeeding in public. I politely look away. If it's a friend doing it, I make eye contact. I would never attempt to prevent a mother from feeding her child in that way, or want her to feel uncomfortable.

If some asswipe man or woman is upset by it? Fuck 'em. Feeding a hungry child takes precedence over their decision to get offended.
  • Red_Arrow
    My wife tried covering while breastfeeding, but our daughter did not like having her vision blocked and continually threw the cover off. So my wife continued to breastfeed without the cover. And how hard is it to understand, "If you don't want to see it, don't sit there staring at it."
    • BurCelf

Exactly!! Couldn't agree more. The cover got in the way of my daughter eating and stressed her out which stressed me out which stressed her out more and it was a visions cycle lol so no more cover! Like you said, what's so hard about looking away if you don't wanna see it?

• Hahah YESSS

My youngest didn't tolerate covers any more than a vintage music fan would. (:

• BurCelf

@redeyemindtricks lol! Same with mine!!!

• inceptin951
    I personally don't care if women breast-feed in public. But I will point out why many people find it "offensive'. For right or wrong, you have to admit that breasts in the US are considered a private part. You say you don't see the difference between women showing cleavage and breastfeeding. Well the intent is different.

When models purposefully show cleavage and try to make their breasts look bigger than they really are (or regular girls for that matter) obviously the intent is to sexually attract potential partners. And it is not just men who see breasts as sexual. I have several lesbian friends who I have talked to about what we find attractive in women and they mention cleavage too. Women can get sexually stimulated when their breasts are fondled during sex. So in a way they are sexual parts. But of course they don't have to be.

I wouldn't even be against women being allowed to go topless just like men in public. But I'm just pointing out why both men and women may be bothered by public breastfeeding. The way I look at it is the baby needs to be fed and like you said it is natural and the primary purpose for breasts in the first place so you shouldn't hesitate to breastfeed in public. But that does not mean people who find it gross are horrible people. It just means they've been conditioned to view breasts that way so eventually, as in much of Western Europe, women showing breasts will not be a big deal at all one day.
    • BurCelf

I completely agree with what you are saying :) Thank you very much!

• America1st
    The way I see it, way too many immature men can't see a boob without wanting to suck it themselves. The only brains they have are in their pants. I think it is a beautiful thing to see. A mothers bond with her child is one of the most special things there is. To hell with the childish jerks.
    • BurCelf

Thank you very much! I agree!

• America1st

Thank you! I really enjoy it when the youth of today can look at things with open minds. Sadly way too many just believe what they are told by those with an agenda.

• BurCelf

Me too. A lot of people my age make me feel ashamed lol

• mermaidrocketship
    Some women do what the woman with a blanket over her head is doing. That's fine at home, but in public, I don't care who is around, people are going to be uncomfortable with an entire breast exposed. I feel like if you're going to breastfeed in public, the tarp is unnecessary but make some effort to conceal your breast like the last picture and the woman in the purple sweater.
    • BurCelf

I can understand this. Usually when I feed my baby nobody knows I'm actually feeding her!

• Phoenix98
    Yes because this is totally what's more important right now.

In reality as long as your not doing it in a restaurant or something, board meeting whatever and your not using a pump to actually pump milk from the breasts in public most people don't care.

I don't as long as your respectful about it and the people around you.
  • MrOracle
    The ironic thing is that it is predominantly WOMEN who get so upset by other women breastfeeding in public. I know of very few men who care about that - and few men will complain if they see a little extra boob. But I've heard some VICIOUS things from women about it, which is completely baffling to me except that I think that most of them feel that breastfeeding women are "trying to steal attention" that they don't deserve (or, that belongs to the other women, somehow).
    • Women don't wanna hear that. They just wanna blame men for everything. Their own worst enemy is themselves and they make life hard for each other and bam, who's to blame? Men cause feelings and oppression. Stupid females :/

• BurCelf

okay guys I never said anything about men being the ones upset lol

• MrQuick

I agree. I've seen far more women trip about it then men.

• pooper89
    Nothing wrong with seeeing boobs. Nothing wrong with the naked human form. People need to get over that Christian modesty bullshit. Don't get me wrong, I'm not condoning dressing like a slut, but people need to get over seeing a child eat the natural way.
    • BurCelf

Exactlyyyy

• You know slut shaming is also the reason female body is sexualised which leads to other humans telling people not to breastfeed.

• justkiddinaround
    I don't like feeding in public but I have done so, I just make sure I'm always covered with a blanket. I do feel it makes people uncomfortable, it's quite a private thing. However, it's also necessary - and very beautiful, I love the connection I feel with my baby when I feed him.
    • BurCelf

I understand that completely :)

• DivaMonae
    Honestly it really shouldn't be. It's natural if we weren't supposed to breast feed then we wouldn't gave breast milk.

Humans are the only creatures that try to hide and go against nature. All mamals do it and we see nothing sexual about it when they do it so what's the difference now?

All I can say is of you don't support it cover your eyes.
    • BurCelf

Yes, exactly! Thank you!!

• VictoriousSausage
    i have no problem with it, it is considered very sexual by some, but to me, it's just a natural thing, that needs to be allowed anywhere without scrutiny, like Drinking a cup of tea in a public place, i wouldn't expect to be yelled at for picking up my cup and taking a swig of a good old cuppa, so why should a baby (no offense to any women here, i know i essentially compared you to a cup, and i'm sincerely sorry about that, but the point needs to be made)
    • BurCelf

lol exactly!!! Thank you very much!!

• BurCelf

Boobs are basically cups so your point is valid lol!

• Saoirse_Nua
    As you say it is a natural act - The main function of the breasts is to feed offspring - The people who are talking about the breasts being sexualised and objectified are actually the main ones doing it.
  • gobsmacked3
    Mainly for some fools can't get past sexualising Breasts
    • BurCelf

I agree

• mikemx55

If you see a breast as a feeding machine, then I gotta say that you're missing out man.
      I'm sure you don't though

• Hans222
    I don't find it controversial at all, it's nature at work :D
    All animals breast feed and it's good for baby so I like the idea a girl breast feeds. It just feels right :D
    • BurCelf

Thank you!! Exactly!!

• Hans222

You're welcome! I saw the next in your profile... no idea how recent it is but congratulations with your kid together :D

• BurCelf

Thank you!!! πŸ˜ƒ

• GingerGuy
    Don't get it either because it shouldn't be. Society and more important the media has sexualized them so much and want them to stay that way for advertising etc. If boobs are all of the sudden "normal" and not a big deal they can't objectify women anymore, OMG heaven forbid!!
    • BurCelf

I agree with you all the way!!! Thank you!!!

• rjroy3
    Societal norm that breasts being exposed is considered naked in public. That's the only reason. If girls being topless was legal there would be no stigma.

But it doesn't really matter. If there were no stigma we'd still find another way to complain. Like "why do guys stare. Control yourself", "why isn't it ok for minors to be topless?", "judgement of girls with saggy tits. What's wrong with people?", "how being topless harms young women's self esteem".
    • what you said literally made no sense, if a guys chest is bare, he is half naked, if a girls chest is bare she's half naked, stop trying to make this a sexist thing!

• plus who the fuck cares about girls going topless? I don't want to see guys topless either, learn how to be discreet about things.

• rjroy3

@lacorine197 sorry that you couldn't grasp the subject.

• cinderelli
    Breasts are there to feel the baby... and there is nothing wrong with breastfeeding in public... If I had a baby tho... I'd try to sit someplace with where I wouldn't be seen too much... not because I think people would think less of me.. it's because some sick people do sexualize this and I won't be comfortable with that..
  • FatherJack
    Breasts ARE for feeding babies , they have been turned into sexual objects , especially in Western culture , I have never been drawn to boobs sexually. Colostrum is essential for effective immune defence for a baby , the only reason my ex had to switch from her milk to formula , is that BOTH my children drunk her dry within 3-4 weeks , but at least they got the all important colostrum.
    • BurCelf

I agree!!! Awwww!!! Well I'm very proud of her for trying and doing it as long as she could!!!

• FatherJack

& now I have main custody !!

• sparta13
    i m totally agree with u on each and every point you discussed here...& there is nothing wrong if u cover or not cover urself during breastfeeding it depends upto u and comfort of ur baby... I don't get it why men stares women who breastfeed there child?
    • BurCelf

Thank you so much for the support and comment! I agree with you all the way. It makes no sense!

• echoaj
    Breastfeeding hasn't become controversial ever since The "social experiment" videos by Joe Salads. These experiments by him are all fake. The reactions look so rehearsed and also one of the guys in the video came out and said that yes joe salads told me to act offended and mad. It as all a set up for views and to create controversy. I'm all for breastfeeding in public and I really don't think it is an issue that is being attacked left and right.
    • BurCelf

Thank you very much :) A lot of people are actually against it, if you read all these comments. Also I've had personal experience with people who are offended by it. Maybe his experiments are fake but some people really are offended by it.

• echoaj

Yeah, maybe I just live in my own bubble. I just find it baffling that anyone would be against breastfeeding in public. It's like being against breathing.

• BurCelf

I know, I would have never thought people would be against something so incredibly natural. But apparently some people are. I completely agree with you.

• starliteyes
    The sole purpose of me having a urethra is so I can per out of it.. and it's 100% natural.. you see me doing that in public? Nope.

• *pee

• There is a massive difference between pissing and FEEDING your BABY the stuff that STOPS IT DYING

• @BaileyisDarcy nobody said don't feed the baby durr. Either go somewhere private or cover up. Why is that so hard? It's creepy how much these women want the world to see their baby breastfeed.

• lacorine197
    Jesus christ, for all you morons, breasts are a sexual organ, guys have penis and testicles women have vaginas and breasts, learn what is the difference between men and women, they both have two private parts. Just because the baby is breastfed doesn't mean it's NOT a sexual organ, otherwise it wouldn't produce MILK.
    • BurCelf

I'm not saying it's not a sexual organ. What I'm saying is that it should be okay to feed our baby where we need to.

• Overthrow

Actually, breasts are not a sexual organ. Breasts have been sexualised by society. They're not the same as penis, testicles, or a vagina because they have no sexual function whatsoever. There's nothing wrong with women whippin their boobs out to feed their babies and if you object, then you're a particularly ignorant overly sensitive piece of human filth and your opinion is irrelevant.

• BurCelf

Exactly what Overthrow said!!!

• Maik567
    Yeah I think it's ridiculous how some people can be against breastfeeding in public. It's literally what breasts are for and it's like the most natural thing in the world.
    • BurCelf

Yes!!! Thank you so much. It's so great to see some guys of our generation agree with it! I've had a group of guys around our age see me feeding her and they were completely rude about it.

• lazermazer
    Respect for you. I also dont get the fuss about it. but i do want to point out some few things:
    when in public children like 10-13 years, who are virgin and new to their sexual experiences are prone to see this as sexual act which is wrong. Moreover some adults do that too, maybe because of their libidos.
    But women shouldn't should not give damn about them. As you have written , breasts sole purpose is to provide nutrition to the baby and you're doing just that.
    • BurCelf

That is very true and I agree comlpletely with you. Thank you for the support!

• lazermazer

☺☺ xxoo

• i think you are definitely right about young teens and some adults seeing it as something sexual. i think in those cases it's a great time, especially for kids, for a learning moment.

• Jujulius
    I know I'll get a lot of shit for this but it needs to be said. Let me start by MAKING CLEAR I AM PRO BREAST FEEDING IN PUBLIC. We're to sexually open as a society. Sex should be intimate & private, there's a reason we safe gaurd our kids from it to protect their innocents. In some states African Americans are being attacked for media enforced stereotypes that encourage sagging. I myself don't sag I'm not that idiotic to follow media. Please halt your applause your about to hate me. That being said on a global scale men are being attacked when denied bathroom access even when buying something many of us are labeled sex offenders simply from peeing behind a 7-eleven. So why is it sagging is frowned upon, peeing is frowned upon, but skirts so high you can see women's panties are not?

When you got to go you got to go, when you have to feed you have to feed. Should sagging and panty high skirts be acceptable no they shouldn't. I don't wear v-necks even though I'm muscular I find it disrespectful. Because I know for guys & girls a big chest can be attractive & it's unethical to flaunt your big chest in a public setting. It distracts a disrupts people's daily routine. We're all human we have needs sex is one of them, attraction is part of that. Big chest are attractive so why expose yours in public regardless of if you're a man or woman. So cover your breast and you can feed where ever you please in my book.

Good thing it's Halloween I can feel the boos inc.
  • electromagnetic
    I don't give a monkey's left testicle what society or people have to say. If my baby is crying, best believe I'm going to whip my breast out to the world.
  • btbc92
    My problem that I'm seeing with this, is when this is becoming a trend for women to do. More women are on this: Its my body, and I can do what I what, attitude. But what I look at is the fact that their not protecting their sensuality.

Breastfeeding is very healthy and has benefits. No one is really complaining about that. But wither or not it being done in public. Then you have the 'free the nipple' movements as such. And I as a woman with my own sensuality do not feel comfortable knowing that this is going on. I am a person who is about respect, dignity and honor. If I was to become a mother to a newborn, and my child needed to be feed. I would leave the area and do that in privacy, not where everybody can see, wither male or female. It is the privacy of my child and I. How and what my breast looks like is no ones business but my own, my doctor and my spouse. Unless it is a female that I can trust.

But, if other females have no problem with exposing themselves for their child, then fine. The child is hungry and needs food. In fact formula's are chemicals and not healthy in the first place, but substitutes. That should be for emergencies in case you cannot breastfeed. I agree with the cover. But again, what another mother decides to do is her business. What's ridiculous is people harassing mothers who chose not to cover up to the point men are cussing at them and calling all sorts of names. That is wrong. But at the same time expected.

I believe that both mothers and fathers needs to use lots of discernment concerning this in today's world. Because regardless to what. A woman's breast is a woman's breast. Men like breast, and they will lust wither you like it or not. If they can't control themselves like horny dogs, they will commit crimes to go such lengths. Thank God so far I have not heard anything of the sort. But I feel mothers needs to take heed to the consequences of those choices when done in public. Because no matter how safe you are with the law, somebody can always plot something. But for myself, I would never do that. Breastfeeding also bonds a child to his/her mother in both physical and spiritual ways. So that is very important. But again, I'm for breastfeeding naturally 100%. I just have an issues with this being a trend, because after seeing so many photos and knowing how some women think. I also feel negative towards this due to the fact that some of these mothers are showing their bodies with their child as a way to attract men
    • btbc92

if their single. As most men will lust after her and try to get with her because they find it sexy and alluring like its 'mommy porn'.

Not saying all are like this, as you may never know what their intentions are. But again, this is just my personal opinion.

• Spermdumster666
    https://youtu.be/LURZqBig734
    This video explains why it's wrong to breastfeed in public.
  • MementoMori_
    Peeing is a natural thing too. But I don't really want to see someone doing it while I am eating. In fact I don't want to see anyone excreting any kind of bodily fluids while I am eating including breast milk... call me a Neanderthal.

There are a lot of things that I don't find offensive but I know that many other people do. As a courtesy, I avoid engaging in such activities whenever possible in front of strangers because I don't know if it is uncomfortable for them and I don't want to ruin their experience. I would say that a restaurant is a very good example of a place where this is particularly true.

Just because you have a right to do something, doesn't make is socially acceptable or polite.

It's not that breast feeding (or peeing for that matter) is "offensive." It's just that it's offensive if it is done in a context of a lack of respect for other peoples' comfort. In some contexts I would love to see a woman breast feeding a baby. In others I would not. There is an appropriate time and place for most things. And there is also an inappropriate one.
  • Winter_Storm_Guy
    It's a woman's body she should feel free to Breast Feed if she wishes too and the ones who want put their baby on formula nothing should be said to them either.
    A woman's body a woman's decision to Breast Feed or Bottle Feed.
  • mikemx55
    I swear I don't understand the urge of why so many women want to show their breasts to the world lol... and you even fight for it. Yeah, I wanna put my breasts out there...

good for you lol
    • BurCelf

It's not that we want to show our breasts. It's that we are feeding our baby from them SOLEY for the baby's benefit and people are against it because our breasts are exposed.

• mikemx55

This issue is just stupid from start to finish..
      When you want to eat, you go to a restaurant, when you want to pee, you go to a restroom, when you want to fuck, you find a room, when you want to breastfeed, you find an appropriate place.
      End of it.

• mikemx55

Oh, and I almost forgot: let the downvotes flow.. cry me a river.

• LunaKitty94
    Breasts are both a sexual and a non sexual organ but they are a secondary sexual organ. When nipples are stimulated the same area of the brain for genital stimulation is lit up. People though react the way they due to religious beliefs and the entertainment industry has sexualized breasts.
  • ClassicRocker
    Maybe don't do it in a restaurant... If you want to whip out a tittie on a park bench, airplane, or on the beach, because your child is hungry by all means. T

he kid needs to eat, but people are trying to eat, have discussions, and sometimes conduct business in restaurants.
    You might not feel this way, but the needs/wants of every other person in that room outweigh those of you and your child.
  • XOXOME16
    I wouldn't say breastfeeding itself is controversial just the fact that when breastfeeding in public its very out in the open. I have no problem with someone feeding their child but i do not want to see bare tits everywhere either. And when i have children i dont want to take them out and have them exposed to adult nudity. I get its just a human body like some say but in my opinion, although they're not technically objects, boobs have been seen as very sexual for hundreds of years. You know what else isn't a sexual object but seen as very sexual? An assh*le. The only difference between seeing a bare boob feed a child and a child seeing some womans breasts is that one has a baby attached to it and both illegal in many places.
    • BurCelf

Nooooo why do you have to be so IGNORANT? Ugh you and 90% of girls make me feel ashamed of being a female -_-

• XOXOME16

Ditto honestly. If you think its okay then great for you. It my opinion. If you're so ashamed its 2016. Get a penis.

• Kylesar
    The reason why is simple: Breasts are sexualized by both genders in the first world

They're an erogenous zone
    They're a fetish source (boobjobs and big tits category in porn)
    By men, they are a turn-on
    By women, cleavage is shown when trying to dress sexy or provocative for whatever reason

Women say all the time that "they're just breasts" and there's "nothing sexual about them." Dead wrong. Both genders are to blame for breastfeeding become a hot button topic and why it's shamed so much today.

You go to the third world and you see women walking around topless and no one gives a damn. Why? Because there, breasts aren't sexualized. Breasts are ONLY ever used for breastfeeding. They're not used to syphon drinks during your weekly clubbing session. They're not used to mesmerize the man you're trying to take to bed

What's my stance on breastfeeding? Anyone who sees breastfeeding as anything sexual has some serious gutter mind problems. Pretty easy to see the mindset difference between a clueless newborn sucking on them and a grown ass man or another woman sucking on them

That being said, no one wants your tits out in the dead middle of me trying to eat my food. You don't have to take it to the bathroom, but don't use the law to blare it all. Sit outside of foot traffic. Cover up if you're in the middle of everything

To anyone saying "don't like it, don't look," this is pretty much what you're saying:
    i1257.photobucket.com/.../44_zps0b2f0e7a.jpg
    Yea, kind of hard to not look at the elephant in the room full of people

encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images

When everything around you is normal, your eyes are drawn to the one thing that's different.
  • tyber1
    I've never considered breastfeeding to be all that big of a deal, I logically understand why some people do but I disagree with them. They need to mind their own business.
  • Elarra
    I don't know, I have never had a problem with this. I think people just like to complain for no reason just because they can.
    • BurCelf

A lot of people have said it's gross or inappropriate :/

• LittleSally
    I don't think it's controversial... it's just a bit uncomfortable for some people when it's done in public, I think.
    (Mostly because of the weirdos out there.)
  • headmaster
    unless a doctor has a valid reason for you not to breastfeed it is your duty as a female/mother to breastfeed. I strongly suggest at least 2yrs and if they want a nipple after that let them.
    • BurCelf

I agree!!! I plan to go at LEAST 2 years

• John6517
    Not to me. I think it every woman who has a child to be able to breast feed whenever and wherever they choose. The baby's needs come first.
  • beautifulangel76
    I think it's okay to breast feed in public as long as you cover up out of respect for others.
    • Why should they cover up though? Shouldn't everyone else just look away and remember the age old tip of 'don't stare'.

• @BaileyisDarcy It's kind of rude to expect everyone to look away because not everyone will. After you see something like that it would be kind of hard not to stare,

• The way i see it, if you're staring, you're the rude one.

• MrAssHat
    Not gonna read all this however... i will say taking a piss is natural also.. and well people get put on the sex offenders list for that =P
    • BurCelf

Oh my god pissing and feeding a baby are totally different things

• MrAssHat

Both completely natural and should be done right? dont get me wrong i have nothing against women breast feeding.. just think its a funny thing

• danii_024
    I'm Australian and her its (rightly) illegal to discriminate and stop women from breastfeeding wherever they please.

I've never understood the opposition, if you don't like what you see, simply look away, simple as that.
  • zombiebabe
    awwwe sweet take!!!
    the day i will be mom i WILL breastfeed
    • BurCelf

Thank you!! Awesome!!! It may be hard at first but it gets so much better 😍😍😍😍😍