Things Gay Teens Ought to Know

FadedGrenade

I used 'gay' for the title, but I mean every teen who is LGBT+.

Things Gay Teens Ought to Know

Yes, You're Old Enough to Know

People say that teenagers are too young to know their sexual orientation or whether or not they're in love. But they're old enough to be deciding what career and degree and life they want to have forever? How convenient.

Things Gay Teens Ought to Know

Homophobic/Transphobic Parents are Not Okay

This might seem dumb, but I know lots of teens are criticized so much by their parents for being LGBT that they feel inadequate and horrible and wrong. But you're not wrong. Yes, your parents may have religious reasons or something, but they aren't valid reasons.

Your mother should not be able to say "I don't care the gender as long as the baby's healthy I will love them" before going into labour for 8+ hours but then 17 years later kick their daughter Jessica out of the house because she was born a Justin.

Things Gay Teens Ought to Know

You're Valid

So what if you don't know what you are? So what if you're trans but don't pass as your gender? It doesn't make you any less LGBT. It doesn't matter what your label is. And if you do have a lot of labels? Well, congratulations on figuring yourself out!

Its okay to be confused. Its okay if you're a trans guy but used to identify as a lesbian, or a trans lesbian who used to identify as a gay cis guy. It's not uncommon for gay trans people to have felt gay before they knew they were trans. It doesn't mean you're faking or anything like that, and you're not alone.

It's fine to question your identity. You have your whole life to figure it out.

Things Gay Teens Ought to Know

It's Okay to be In the Closet

Sure, it sucks pretending to be straight/cis, but sometimes it is necessary. Don't force yourself to come out if you live in an extremely homophobic community/family. It will make your life worse in the long run. Coming out should not be held as a higher priority than not getting kicked out of your house.

But please remember: To all the queer kids who are in the closet on a day that really focuses in on couples...it is not always going to be this way. Someday you're going to boldly hold hands with your partner on Valentine's Day and be cutesy cliche with candy hearts and flowers. You're going to be okay.

Things Gay Teens Ought to Know

The road to LGBT has never been straight:)

Things Gay Teens Ought to Know
42
23
23Girl Opinion
42Guy Opinion

Most Helpful Girl

• Pink934

I'm sick hearing about LGBTGAGDHFJAJSHXYZ

Give us all a break. You're all over the news. You're shoving all your 'rights' in my face. Constantly crying about how you're so hard done by.

This is all just one big political agenda... wake up! Want to cull a population? Convince all of those who might be a little/confused and impressionable to come out of the closet. SNAP. Population problem solved.

And you all think it's your own choice, maybe take a look at your society, propaganda and government and you'll see they've opened every trap door for you.

Like 3 People
    Is this still revelant?
    • Pink934

Furthermore? If I or anybody else wanted to be gay? We could make that CHOICE.

• Nattybaby

Exactly, well said :)

• Pink934

@Nattybaby I'm glad someone agrees :)

Most Helpful Guy

• ladsin

Thanks for sharing. More kids need to know they're accepted

Things Gay Teens Ought to Know
    Like 3 People
    Is this still revelant?
    • You've kids?

• ladsin

@Political_dude Haha god no. I want some later, but I'm far too young for all that nonsense. I've worked with a lot of children though who've been victimized for their sexuality/ gender-status, and many who were depressed/ suicidal because they weren't accepted by the people who are supposed to love them most.

• Is that your job? Or part of your job?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

2241
  • madhatters4

great take. hopefully both LGBT and non-LGBT teens see this

Like 2 People
    Reply
  • NeglectedChild

https://i.imgur.com/CoWZ05t.gif
    The philosophy of "being gay" is extremely flawed and problematic when it is taken beyond the confines of a simple dictionary definition and when morphed into an entire identity that dictates your life.
    And not to mention unnecessary.

Simply recognising a characteristic you have such as being an introvert is completely fine but morphing it into an ideology is ridiculous.

Pressuring young people into these ill-defined, arbitrary and divisive groups and further sub groups, indirectly forcing them to adopt an identity which dictates their sexual behaviour alienates and confuses them and can be harmful and poses many problems.

You're a human being, that's good enough. You don't need a post modernist socially construed identity to have self worth or to be valid as a person.

Gay pride is also quite silly. Assuming you're born gay, what is there to be proud of? How can you be proud of something you have no control over (supposedly)? And if this pride is due to persecution, then those who have not faced persecution have no reason to be proud.

Don't tell kids to disobey their parents, kids don't know shit, they're naive and immature. "Religious reasons or something are not valid reasons? How so?

Also the T should not be part of LGB, it's a completely different issue and is not solely based on same sex attractions.

LikeDisagree 6 People
    Reply
    • The whole LGBT+ thing happened because society doesn't treat people as human beings who are good enough. It has taught people that they *do* have control over sexual orientation and that they should be ashamed of not being straight. That's where Gay Pride comes in - turning shame into pride.

Have you not been listening for the past 20 years?

• @HungLikeAHorsefly There is no consensus on whether or not you have control over your sexual desires. It would appear, I'm not saying that it is definite, that you're not born gay and that you can change your sexual orientation because some people have. Any questioning of this phenomena is met with harsh backlash.

Being gay is not an achievement therefore there's no reason to be proud. You can be content but not proud. And again, if someone has not suffered shame, then they have no reason to include themselves amongst those who are proud.

Also I find ridiculous when people claim gays were being discriminated against in terms of marriage. Gays have always the right to get married, to the opposite sex.
      Gay marriage not being recognised my government does not constitute discrimination.
      And It's also absurd to compare gay marriage to interracial marriage in the US because black people were viewed as racially inferior. Homosexuality was at one point seen as an illness but an illness 1/2

• @HungLikeAHorsefly... an illness does not necessarily make you inferior as a human being.

• i_am_shyvana

I personally do not see why some people discriminate against LGBT. I am not part of the community myself, but I, one, do not bat an eye to anyone who is, and two, don't give a fuck what sexuality you are. If you are a person, you deserve to live a happy, healthy life. The heart wants what it wants.

Reply
  • grimtigress

i really feel for those growing up in strict religious households. i mean some still accept them, but most don't. always thought the shit was contradicting and hypocritical, since most religions are meant to be acceptance and to help and love others. lol but that's only if criteria is met

Reply
  • ovoxo_

I always find it funny how people like you dismiss others views as invalid only to ask these same people to accept yours and then call them homophobic/transphobic when they don't (the same way you referred to unaccepting parents).

Not supporting/being against LGBT is okay and shouldn't be forced down others throat like a religion.

Like 5 People
    Reply
  • Kevinnnn

Omg...
    It depends on how much you don't like gays.
    Being homophobic means to show that you hate them.
    When you just don't want to be one, you're not homophobic.
    When you don't like them, you're not homophobic.
    When you hate them, you're a kinda homophobic.
    When you bully gays in public, you're homophobic.
    When you murder someone because he's gay, you're very homophobic.

It's so clear. Just read the definition 😒🙄

Like 3 People
    Reply
  • keenmind2007

Self acceptance of who you are is good. As for the parents who don't believe that, it doesn't matter if they spent 8hrs or 8 days delivering you- there expectations is what overrides all at the end of the day.

Like 1 Person
    Reply
  • hise-DepartmenT

It's odd how you believe people are born homosexual, yet people are also born as male and female too. So people are not born a transgender.

You equate that if they're born a homosexual, then that's right. That's how they're born.

What about you're born a male or born a female, so you're born right too?

LikeDisagree 3 People
    Reply
  • Belgie

Just because gay people in general have it so much better than my generations youth, doesn't mean they have it easy, so good on you for trying to reassure them.

Like 1 Person
    Reply
  • Prof_Don

As a teacher of teens, I know PLENTY of students that are LGBT. I have a transgender student & an openly gay student in my class as I type this!

Not a big deal

LikeDisagree 4 People
    Reply
  • Lovetolearn47

I want them all to know they are loved and accepted and that there is even homosexuality in the animal kindgom. It's OK and nothing to be ashamed of. You love a PERSON not a gender.

Reply
  • DJZest

I wonder who people think they are to tell "in-the-closet gay peopl" that they are "valid" and "valuable" and so on. They aren't God, after all - just another guy/gal. Therefore, your opinion carries no weight (unless you're talking to somebody close to you, of course).

Reply
  • lorenzomichael

to the whole gay community if it is normal to be gay why do you think or feel you have to defend or explain yourselves to us non gays? Think about that? Let me answer that for you because it's wrong. Listen you'll never hear us explaining Or defending ourselves to anyone about our sexuality unless it's a gay person trying it hit on us. Get the fuck outta here...

Reply
  • RayvenSkyeFlye

Thanks for discussing this. I support the LGBT+ community and it's people, even though I am straight. There is no reason to judge. Great myTake. Thanks, and I hope you get lots of likes :D

LikeDisagree 2 People
    Reply
  • Pink2000

Does it make you homophobic if you don’t like gays?

Like 4 People
    Reply
    • Ashley234

depends how you dont like them

if you believe what they're doing is wrong (dating the same gender), no it doesn't. if you believe they should be beaten to death, locked up, and have nothing, then yes it would

• MsLoli

Does it make you racist if you don't like blacks?

• zagor

Actually it is not at all uncommon to feel sexual attraction toward both sexes during puberty, and then have it recede in the later teens into boring, uncontroversial heterosexuality.

Like 2 People
    Reply
  • John_Doesnt

They should also know that moving to Japan would be better, the people there are more accepting of lgbt because they have been corrupted by western religions.

Reply
  • NightOwl8801

Well said.
    It's encouraging to see this , hopefully all LGBT and questioning youths can see this as a step in the right direction and not be afraid of the unknown.

Like 1 Person
    Reply
  • Nattybaby

Nobody says your not a valid person, nobody really says anything about y'all. You do whatever YOU want, but don't be trying to confuse kids further, or be as vulgar and gross as some or most lgbt+ are. Can y'all just go live whatever lifestyle u want without trying to make some sort of statement about acceptance, because frankly, every person has their opinions, and can decide for themselves about anything and everything, because they're adults. But definitely leave kinds out of everything. Your not born gay, you were born hearing something that made u want to be gay.

Reply
  • Max_winner1

Gay teens having anal sex for the first time. Use lots of lube. I'm more inclined for homosexuals to get castrated.

Disagree 3 People
    Reply
    • If they naturally like men, there is no societal advantage to including homosexuals into a eugenics program.

• Show More (43)