The strained relations between Asian-Americans and liberals explained

Read this before you read the rest of the take: Politics aren’t black and white, everyone is different. It’s not a matter of what side you are on, it’s a matter of how much you support said side or whether you even support a ideology to begin with. There are many people who are independent as in they are on their own side. As for the liberals, also known as progressives in Europe, I know not all liberals support the same thing, some liberals are more moderate, some show utmost support for liberalism and others are radical. As you read this, just know that I’m not lumping all liberals into a single category. I’m not a liberal, I’m politically independent but registered as libertarian.

Brief history of Asian-Americans: Asians have been arriving on the Americas since the 1700s believe it or not. The first Asians who set foot on the Americas, arrived in New Spain which is present day Mexico and eventually assimilated with the local population, intermarried and even dispersed into other Spanish controlled territories of what would one day become other Latin American countries. However, the first Asians to arrive on the US, arrived between 1850 and 1910s. The second wave arrived in the 1960s. And even now in the 21st century there are still Asian immigrants migrating to the US.

Chinese-American males circa 1900
Chinese-American males circa 1900

The fight for civil rights: Asian Americans have a reputation for being docile in the face of discrimination but this reputation is uncalled for. Asian-Americans have been fighting for civil rights many years prior to the official civil rights movement of the 1960s. Whether it be through labor strikes, lawsuits, boycotts etc. the Asian American community did it all to ensure that they acquired fair treatment. But the radical liberals seem to forget this, they assume that the fight for civil rights didn’t begin until the 1960s. They will usually ignore all the contributions Asian-Americans dedicated to civil rights. If you want to know about the endeavors of Japanese-Americans specifically, you can read about them here and here.

Asian-Americans fighting for civil rights 1970s

Radical Liberals labeled Asians as privileged/model minority stereotype: While most of the prejudice and discrimination show to Asian-Americans by the liberals is usually subtle. There are occasions where the radical liberals outright show their true colors. Not that long ago a hashtag was published that said “Asian prviledge”. Not surprisingly many Asian-Americans were not happy about it. The same people who claim to fight for the rights of minorities are also putting down certain groups of minorities.

Based on height? Historically, Asians were known for being the shortest of all races. And considering how tall stature is put on the pedestal based on many misconceptions which I covered here and here Asians have taken the full brunt of the ridiculous attitude known as heightism. Even nowadays that Asians have grown taller than their ancestors , Asians are still stereotyped for their shortness as if shortness is supposed to be a bad thing. Even with all these “body acceptance” movements promoted by the radical liberals, none of them vouch for people on the shorter side.

Assuming it’s “okay” to show prejudice against Asians: Whenever someone of a different race is made fun of, there’s an uproar. It goes viral on social media, makes it on the news etc. but when a Asian is on the receiving end of racial jokes, everybody laughs and nobody says anything, even the radical “anti racist” liberals take part in it. I’m sure you’ve all heard people make fun of the stereotypical Asian accent.

subtle discrimination: I’m sure you’ve all heard of the lawsuit that was taken to court a few weeks ago. A group of Asian-Americans decided to sue Harvard based on how Harvard was said to be rating Asian students lower in personality. That’s not all, google was sued by a YouTube recruiter not that long ago because it allegedly stopped hiring White and Asian men. the rumored reason being that Google only wanted to hire people who were “underrepresented” which is ironic considering that Asians are the most underrepresented race.

Radical Liberal dominated Hollywood underrepresenting Asians: I’ve criticized Hollywood before here. It can be argued that Hollywood has fallen from grace in recent years. Usually due to it’s poor quality content, political promotions and even the underrepresention of Asians. Hollywood is notorious for treating Asian actors and actresses like cannon fodder. There are occasions where Asians did manage to get on the big screen with decent roles but in recent years Asian talent has been brushed aside in exchange for other “underrepresented” groups.

White washing: Having non Asian actors portray Asian characters.

Radical liberals Brush Asian-American history under the rug: Whether it be Asian-American military history, civil rights activism or other contributions, Asian-American history is usually brushed under the rug by the radical liberals. For example, why is the 442nd RCT always excluded from WWII video games, Hollywood movies and history books? Also, hyperdiffusionism is another problem that tries to steal Asian culture from Asians. In my opinion, history books need an entire chapter that talks about the 442nd RCT, MIS and the Japanese-American women in the Women’s army corps.

442nd RCT
442nd RCT

The attack on Asian males: Out of all the races, Asian males are the ones who receive the brunt of disrespect from the radical liberals. Asian males are often portrayed as “feminine” individuals. “Metro-sexuality” is often associated with Asian males. It’s a stereotype that has been popularized as a result of the rise of k pop and J pop culture.

Asian men are often viewed as being “oppressive” towards women as well. This is why the liberal dominated Hollywood often times depicts women overpowering swarms of Asian men. Examples: Lucy and Wolverine 2013.

Asian female character beating up “Asian male baddies”

Crocodile tears: Whenever an Asian person is a victim of an injustice, hardly anybody cares. For example, where was the outrage when David Dao was violently dragged off the plane? No where to be found, most people simply made memes out of it and laughed about it. Now compare to the Starbucks incident where people posted angry posts on social media, had protests and it was even called racism. Obviously what those two men went through was bad, no denying that. But one has to wonder, how many of the few people who were outraged by the United airlines incident were merely showing crocodile tears.

Where were the protests?
Where were the protests?

Asians have conservative/traditionalist values: Obviously the radical liberals aren’t going to like this. Even though radical liberals are supposedly about “tolerance”, they don’t like Asians embracing conservative/traditionalist values. There are several Asians who support the Republican Party.

Young Kim, Republican party
Young Kim, Republican party

Reasons why Asians are an easy target

Asian-Americans make up only a small percentage of the population: I don’t know the exact numbers but I do know that Asians are one of the lowest in population size. The fact that Asian-Americans are outnumbered, makes them an easy target for the radical liberals.

Asian-Americans are divided: Unloke other races, Asian-Americans are divided in many ways. Whether it be due to grudges based on historical events, political ideologies, competition etc. Asian-American’s don’t see each other as fellow Asian-Americans. There are Chinese-Americans who erroneously associate Japanese-Americans with those responsible for Nanking. When’s the last time you heard of Polish Americans hating on German-Americans for the invasion of Poland? I never have.

Racial clashes: There are incidents were Asian-Americans clash with other races. For example the Peter Liang case. Incidents like cause people to unfairly generalize all Asians.

Peter Liang
Peter Liang

Negative Asian Stereotypes

As I’ve said above, Prejudice against Asian Americans has been made socially acceptable. Whenever this is brought people try to defend it by saying “we are just joking around” or “They are all positive stereotypes” but fail to acknowledge that there are negative ones as well. Let’s not forget that stereotypes are hasty generalizations.

Stereotype 1, Bad drivers: A stupid stereotype that makes no sense at all. I’m part Asian myself and I guarantee you that I’m one of the safest drivers you’ll ever meet.

Stereotype 2, Weaklings: Another generalization, This originates from yet another generalization that all Asians only eat foods that have insufficient protein and thus are unable to build strength. All you have to do is go and meet Asians who exercise a lot and or do a lot of sports to see how erroneous this is. I know plenty of Asians who smash this stereotype. One of them is built like a tank and can pitch tank shells. There are many Asian athletes out there who’ve also smashed this stereotype, whether it be toppling giants in full contact sports, winning gold medals in the olympics and so on.

Stereotype 3, Difficult for Asian men to find a date: Despite Asian men being considered “undesirable” by beauty standards, it by no means implies that all Asian men have hard when it comes to dating. I’ve had many women show interest in me before, in fact some even fetishized me for being part Asian. Let’s not forget that one of the first male sex symbols in Hollywood was Japanese American, his name was Sessue Hayakawa.

Stereotype 4, Racists and arrogant: Much like how people like to call Whites racists, Asians are also occasionally called racists. Based on the fact that many Asians proudly embrace their culture. While it’s true there are some Asians who are legitimately racists, they do not represent every Asian. Much like how the racists of other races don’t represent said races.

Stereotype 5, Foreign until proven otherwise: Asian-Americans, even those of us born in the US are usually viewed as foreigners even though we are Americans. This stemmed from the idea that Asians are trying to “take over” the US. Keep in mind that FDR once said “Americanism is the matter of the mind and heart, Americanism is not and never was a matter of race or ancestry.”

Summary: Everything mentioned above is why Asian-Americans and liberals aren’t on the same page, even though not all liberals are hostile towards Asians. The actions of the radical liberals still hurts the relationship between Asians and liberals. This is why many Asians who were once alligned with Liberals are now in exodus from liberalism and moving towards other political ideologies like conservatism.

Other sources: http://www.kulturemedia.org

Washington post

DBKnews

726
ADFSDF1996 is a GirlsAskGuys Influencer
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 7

• I think white liberals have a problem with Asian Americans because Asian American success in America larfelt disproves the notion that minorities can only advamce in soceity with help from white liberals.

• It probably doesn't need to be stated, but white "liberals" don't actually care about social justice; they just pretend to care to win votes.

And before anyone attacks me, I'm not a "conservative/Republican/Alt-Righter/Right", or anything in that "group" either. I'm actually a moderate who slightly leans left.

• I'm not Asian-American so I am not going to pretend that I have any understanding of what racism that community faces. As a white person I have never had to live with it. I'm sorry that you have felt ostracised from the liberal political spectrum. We still have a lot of work to do to make ourselves more accessible on all fronts.

• AMEN I am an adopted Asian American and I agree with everything you have said. People think that because Asians are the "model" minority we don't have to deal with harmful stereotypes and that the racism inflicted upon us is someone how "lesser" because its not shown in the same contextual violent racism (by blacks). I can say say that we are subject to the constant reminders that we are foreign until proven guilty.

Being adopted, I've constantly had to battle the "foreign until proven american" and then the "you're cultureless" (as if i don't have the same culture that these asshats have). I constantly have to worry about whether interest in "my home country that didn't want me" is cultural appropriation or not. I have been called racist slurs and I hate to say this, the majority of which have been at the hands of the black community. But here in America, since Blacks dominate the conversation on what it means to be a "racial minority" its racist to speak up against it. I have literally been called a "chink' by 14 years olds at the mall, and Ling ling by managers at work and that is only a few examples.

All races have adopted this fetishization of "asian women" and I can't even hook up anymore without assholes saying after "wow I've never been with a Chinese. most of them are so up and to themselves. But you're different. I like that you're not like that." Seriously? in what context is that okay to say. Am i slighted because they just wanted to bang me because of my skin, or that they put down "my" race with their prejudiced attitudes and give me a backhanded compliment.

Racism against Asians is real and if americans keep comparing it Black oppression, then you're judging a fish on its ability to climb a tree. Asians have our own histories of racism, exploitation, and prejudices against us, and we don't appreciate being "diminutized" by the same system that treats all minorities as lesser.

• I'd be lying if i said i didn't have a particular attraction to Asians in general. But even though they have the easiest time getting through the front door, personality matters like with everyone else.

• 7d

All races being attracted to your race isn't a negative tho

• 7d

@Boob_Boy It really isn't as someone who lives in Chicago and is surrounded by Chinese and Koreans on a near constant basis, i can tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt that it's hard to be an Asian woman and not at least be a 5 on the attractive scale.

• The injustice that racism causes is really sad. I would like to know the other side of Hiroshima, and Vietnam. So far when I look deep into thing. It kinda seems like America bullies other countries, and races. So America is farthest from being diverse. How can the new generation’s change that?

• 7d

Japan were bullying other parts of Asia, particularly China, that's for sure. America practically cut off all of Japan's oil supplies which would have crippled Japan, Japan in desperation also feared America would invade them as US vessels had been patrolling the pacific for months. Eventually Japan bombed Pearl Habor, launching the US into the war.

Bombing Hiroshima and Nagasaki was completely unnecessary. For the most part Japan's military had been defeated already and several high ranking Japanese officials already wanted peace and had offered surrender to the allies, however they wanted their Emperor to remain in control, the US did not accept this and wanted a full unconditional surrender and as a result dropped the atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki to terrify the Japanese leaders into doing things on America's terms. In reality all those innocent lives were lost in order to test some new technology and to show that America was the biggest 'tough guy'.

• 7d

As for Vietnam, both North and South had a level of corruption. The communist North Vietnamese wanted control of the south and wanted one united Vietnam. The American's were and still are terrified of communism and believed it would be a 'domino effect', if communist North Vietnam gained control of the South, other communist countries would be inspired to do similar things and the world would become communist, a prospect the Americans found thoroughly threatening.

As a result the US declared war on north Vietnam and fought alongside the South Vietnamese. The US used masses of chemical weapons to burn through forests and cause mass destruction, however after facing heavy losses and opposition to the war at home, had to leave, having achieved absolutely nothing other than destroying the place and the North Vietnamese gained control of the south.

• This meme represents my reaction as an Asian.

• Good take

• Very nice...

What Guys Said 26

• You start by supposing there's a controversy.
    Then you tell some stories and B. S. to justify your supposition.
    The main reason Asian Americans have not to like whites is the cruel exploitation of Asian labor when the western railways were build.
    Another reason is FDR's Order 1066:

Why push that on the 'Liberals' ?

• FDR was a liberal in his days. However, at least he tried to undo the damage he caused to the Japanese-American community by allowing Japanese-American men to seve in the the 442nd regimental combat team and military intelligence service, while also allowing Japanese-American women to serve in the Women’s army corps.

• But, if you want to keep using the “argument of pigheadedness” fallacy then go ahead.

• Liberazls don't like Asians in general, because Asians don't buy their race card and all SJW. They work for what they have, they're successful because of it, they have no problem with anyone.
    They're the perfect example of a good minority: they're integrated, don't spend their time crying for nothing, they work.
    Exactly everything liberals and SJW hate, because they can't push them to "fight the white devil".

In France we have the same thing. Recently, Asians, mostly chinese, were quite mad because they've been victims of racist attacks. But since it was from arabs, and not from white, none of the so called "anti-racist" associations even said a word.
    Worst, when the Asians protested in the streets because one of them have been killed, asking for more security, those associations refused to protest with them.
    Why, you ask? Well, for 2 incredible reasons:

First, Asians had their own signs, and therefore didn't need the anti-racist associations signs, which of course they didn't like.
    And second, they asked for more security. And for those associations, asking for security is "a extrem right wing speech" and they didn't want to be associated with that.

• Surprise didn't mention about "Shanhaiing" problem in the merchant shipping years ago.

I read this and I'm lost. I'm white, maybe too late in the day, but I'm not connecting the dots... I didn't know there were strained relations between Asians and liberals. I am sorry that Asians experience racism, I'm sure I've said bad things... like "oriental", which I hear is an insult. I think a lot of us just don't understand and are clueless about Asian people and history. Were gonna have to learn...

I know I've been confused in regards to Asians in making an assumption of who they are, looking at them, and then realizing they are totally different person than I assumed. I've done that with black person as well... it's false assumptions. Everyone is their own person.

What I know of Asians... they are hard working, business oriented, family oriented, honor is enmeshed in their culture as is education and they work and save. Generally very decent people. I'm surprised they are that small part of our country, I expect them to take a larger role over time.

A lot of Asians live in NYC and West coast, those are quite liberal areas. I didn't see people in conflict with liberals, I saw them protesting along with them... what am I missing here?

reference points: Knew an older korean business woman, really sweet lady. dated an Asian American, had Asian work for me and with me.

• Hey mate, not sure what sorts of problems you have to deal with in your day to day routine, but maybe you should just ignore any asswhole who shits you because of your heritage.

• Thanks for bringing light to this - I'm an Asian American guy myself and I can relate to a lot of the discrimination that you've mentioned. Unfortunately, despite how real our issues are, a lot of times society doesn't care or just sweeps it under the rug. Good post.

• Why do you care what liberals think of asians? Im a white man, liberals hate me more than you even. Everyone knows they are cry baby race fetishists. Just ignore them and do your own thing.

The reason Asians are successful as a whole in america is because generally Asians tend to have more conservative and traditional values. If you give that up to appease liberals you will find yourself in the gutter.

• Seems a pretty good take though I think some of it is a bit stretched
    That aside I would say the making fun of an Asian accent is kinda of base as that really isn't a racial thing any sort of accent gets made fun of be it Chinese Indian French German or whatever
    You should find a better example which I am sure there are plenty of

• 6d

It might also be a contributing factor, at least for Vietnamese Americans, that a lot of older Asians supported the war and/or immigrated to the United States as a result of oppressive communist policies. I read somewhere that Nixon has a high approval rating among Asian-Americans because he did not pull out of the war until the last minute. A lot of those old timer Asians are still loyal to the Republican Party.

• 7d

"Strained relationship", please. Stop sugar coating it. There is no relationship between Asians and liberals. Liberals actively discriminate against Asians for being academically and economically successful. "Whites and Asians need not apply" is a line often found on "diverse" hiring adds. Liberals only count us as "POC" when it pads their diversity stats. Other than that, we may as well be white. Fuck liberals and everything they stand for.

• 6d

It is ironic that with so many Asians having fled Communism/Socialism, their strong family values, the embrace of merit over entitlement, and their strong work ethic that the majority of Asians vote Democrat.

Democrats are no friend of Asians.

• I stopped at that white washing ghost bit. As an Asian amaerican, the whole white washing a white character is retarded. I dont give a crap who made it. You dont make an Englishmen in an anime and get pissed he's not played by an asain guy. In ghost, the main women isn't drawn to look Asian at all. I will not accept her becoming Asian in a live replay of the anime. It's as stupid as asain full metal alchemist. You can't have a brown skinned foreigner play a white guy with blond hair.

It can't be whitewashing if the character is white in the first place.

• You’re wrong, the character was originally meant to be Japanese.

• @Sixgun77 She’s race neutral albeit with a Japanese name.

• 3d

@Sixgun77 And no, it doesn’t matter if the creator approves or disapproves. What matters more is what the fans think and yes the fan base of this franchise was were all the outrage was.

• I liberals have ruined the left. It used to be about workers rights and class division, now it's just a group of idiots hating on white people. Yet white people are who created their philosophy they stole from.

Asians are successful because of community and family values. But they give up a lot of freedom for success.

• You are right man my grandfather was a Democrat and was nothing like these assholes of today

• Asians on the whole, are fact-driven, results-driven, people. This means their thoughts and actions have to be based in reality. Liberals most daunting enemy is reality. Consequently, this puts Asians and liberals at odds.

• Asians are too busy going to college and starting businesses to be fooled by liberal lies.

Asian success (as well as the success of new BLACK immigrants) soundly disproves the liberal narrative that the failures of blacks are whitey's fault so they want everyone to ignore it

• To an extent, the shortcomings seen within the Black American community is a result of past racial aggression from white people. You can't disenfranchise a group of people for 300+ years and not expect there to be some type of lingering problems after the fact.

• 4d

@Starrk you must be right, as we have now seen, when they do move into a white middle class areas, they make it even better and property values go up, crime goes down and they generally bring up the neighborhood, right?

• 4d

Thank You for admitting that I'm right. :)

• Liberals are absolutely about totalitarian dictatorship over everyone’s lives and everyone must drink their Coolaide and depend on their tainted handouts. Unchecked liberalism is eventual Stalinism.
    The other day my Asian bud was complaining about some liberal acquaintances and at the time it didn’t register with me. Therefore, now I absolutely agree with this take and will even like my Asian friends more. Anyone that is individualistic in nature is despised by the collective liberal dictatorship.

• This is the most boring topic you could have wrote about

• To you it is.

• They even will call them Nazis just for disagreeing with them it is horrible

• Yes, they usually do that when they’ve run out of things to say.

• Asians believe in modesty, family and hard work. Leftists believe in perversion and using government to plunder the fruuit of the labor of others.

• This MyTake had a lot that I myself have never realized. One thing, I didn't realize heightism was overtly political-based.

• Fuck liberals. Anyone claiming Asian privilege or white privilege is not your friend. They are trying to steal opportunity from you based upon race.

• Now do one on how the right views Asians. How they REALLY view Asians.

• 7d

Conservatives treat Asians way better than the radical liberals do.

• 7d

What's one thing that conservatives love most? Money. Same applies to Asian culture, which is conservative as ADFSDF1996 alluded to. Most conversations love Asians, increased Asian immigration means more like minded voters and more money injected into the economy rather than money being leeched out of the economy onto welfare. A bit of a generalization, but with a level of truth to it.

• 7d

conservatives, not conversations*

• As an Asian I can say, we mostly don't care, we prefer to stay low which at times comes with not being considered into part of an equation.

• Very well written!

• Asian Americans are badass

• i hope this is the hill people die on...

• I didn't read anything and I'm offended.

• meine