myReview 2 mo

How I got into track.

NickiB1

So this was requested by Another user @TadCurious

So my parents were both very Athletic. My mom ran track in high school. She competed in the 100, 200, and Long jump

My father played football CB/WR.

As a kid I would constantly hear stories about how great both of them were from their high school friends but I was about as much of a girly girl as you could find.

So I didn't have any interest in sports. But I found it so cool to brag about how awesome my parents were.

I was like 11 and my mom was watching the Olympics and she was loud AF😂 I never heard her cheering like that before.

I walk in and being a nosy kid I sat down to see what she was watching.

Me: What you watching?

Her: It's the 200. Watch it with me baby. it's bout to start.

me: If it ain't started? Why you yelling?

her: Oh they giving intros baby. I get excited.

She points to Allyson Felix and tells me she's her favorite. She's humble fast and exciting.

The race begins and Allyson Felix falls behind. My mom's screaming her ass off.

Me: She's getting beat bad Mommy.

Her: No baby watch. This what she does.

She hits the final stretch and boom! She's kicks it into another gear.

She's skinny smooth long strides. It's almost beautiful to watch her run.

Oh man. I feel the urge. I'm next to my mom screaming. Go!!!Go!!! Go!!!

The final 40 meters she's in 4th then 3rd, and now 2nd.

As I watch the finish line coming up fast it looks impossible for her to win.

I look at my mother and see the love for the sport in her.

She's screaming for Allyson Felix to push it.

It was amazing as she crosses the finish line first.

We jumped up and down screaming with excitement.

It was this moment that I fell in love with a sport I never seen before but would be a huge part of my life.

I turn to my mom.

Me: Mom. I wanna run track.

her: You do? Really?

me: Yeah.

her: Let's go.

me: Mom now?

It's like 8 PM and dark outside. 🤭

She takes me outside turns the backyard lights on and shows me a few stretches.

Then she walks across the yard and tells me: show me what you got.

So I ran like a chipmunk on speed. No technique what so ever. hands by my side.

Her: Ooh baby you got your mommy's speed. If we can get your technique right you will be amazing.

So we worked for like an hr on form and technique. I asked her to train me.

She set up a routine for me. She made it fun. She was never that overbearing sports mom (which helped grow my love for the sport )

She encouraged me but never pressured me to be great.

I asked her to create diets and routines and she would always do what ever I asked of her.

How I got into track.
How I got into track.
4
4

Most Helpful Guys

• TadCurious
    Thank you Nicki for writing this. That's really cool how your mom's passion for the sport influenced you and how she helped you develop your talent without being an overbearing "sports parent." You obviously inherited speed from both your parents because as a corner/wr your dad had to be fast. And I lol'd when you wrote that the first time your mom coached you in the backyard you ran like a chipmunk on speed! And I remember watching Allyson Felix in the Olympics and she made us all very proud.
    Great job! 🏃‍♀️
    Is this still revelant?
    • NickiB1

Thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Yeah Daddy was very fast as well.

Allyson Felix is still my favorite. She's the sweetest person in the world and she's been making America proud for many years.

• yep mothers are always supportive but since i saw all those medals i have basically tattooed to my brain that if we are ever running away from some monster, i would have to trip you to not get eaten 🙃
    Is this still revelant?

Most Helpful Girls

• DeeDeeDeVour
    My parents were always encouraging & supportive, especially when it came to athletics. My mom said she was never into running but liked swimming. My dad was a football player in high school & college. Like my brothers before me, I also got into track since I enjoyed running around so much anyway. Around the same time, I also joined the soccer & swimming teams while my brothers stuck to football & basketball.
    Is this still revelant?
  • SydneySentinel
    Awesome!! Your mom sounds love a great trainer!!
    I ran cross country in high school but I was terribly slow... I was a strong swimmer when I was young, stopped for a few years and then resumed as a junior/senior. My daughter got 26th in state swimming last year! Super proud.
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

22
  • SpiderManFan2002
    Oh my gosh, such a great story I love it!

It's sorta like how my dad was always into computers and tech and he got me into coding! ^_^
  • LilElph
    Aww. That's so sweet. You've come a long way. You're doing good.
  • allenwants2
    She has instilled in you one of the gifts that you will like it or not instill in your kids it's called love cherish it alwaystell her often how much she means to you and when it's her time to go be there to hold her hand and she will live on forever through you
  • LEADFOOTboi
    that's amazing...