5 Weird Things That Turn Me Off About Guys

Inspired by this post about 10 weird things that turn the poster on.

1) Awkwardness

I know some people find a guys awkwardness cute, but it can get pretty uncomfortable and mutual comfort is just attractive to me.

2) Over Confidence

If you walk around thinking you're a God I'll automatically find you incredible unattractive.

3) Over Estimation Of Intelligence

Guys who walk around thinking they're so smart and shoving all of their opinions on religion, politics, and life down peoples throats because they feel their opinions are the only right ones are not only unattractive but really annoying.

4) Invading My Personal Space

Some guys will literally be aware of the fact that you are cringing away in disgust and yet continue to try and give you hugs and touch you. It's unappealing and it makes me like you even less.

Don't touch me. I shouldn't need to tell you that.

5) Over Masculinity

Giving our genders each specific roles is agitating. As in, thinking I shouldn't be the one driving or I should be the one cooking or any general sexism whatsoever. I don't want to be treated like you think I'm weak or less competent than you at certain things, I want to be treated like your equal and respected like a woman.

So there you have it, things that turn me off.

*prepares for the hoard of angry internet men*

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 112

• So what is it that you do want in a guy?

• Why the dislikes? o_0 it seems like an honest question to me?

• @E-Nigma Yes, it is a sincere question. If I say, "I don't like A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, or J in a girl," it might leave you wondering 'hasn't he eliminated 99% of the girls out there?' You might also wonder if I have a rather negative attitude about girls since I am focusing on so many negatives.

So. . . I asked the question to try to get a better understanding of the motivations here. Why someone would read that and perceive a negative is beyond me!

• Just because it is YOUR take, it doesn't mean that I cannot opine here. This is my space too and I am confident about it because I AM a MAN. No, this is not over-confidence, this is just your perception and I know because I am intelligent. Okay this is awkward :|

• I am an awkward over confident masculine genius who loves hugs, and I find this offensive.

• All girls under the age of 20 have a big problem with ego these days (quite the opposite of the '50s).

As they age, they start to waver... they start to realize that confidence is typically extremely sexy, while overly confident still isn't, and they actually start to prefer touchy-feely guys for some reason.

• the confidence can be a turn off because it's not real...

• Lol, if that were true, girls my age wouldn't have as many boyfriends/girlfriends. Plus, I'm not really all that confident in who I am, considering I'm always being called a show-off. I can't even enjoy doing what I love without people constantly knagging me. It's not like I ever say "Hey, look at me!" or "I'm way better at this than you are!" This just turned into a full on rant, but thanks anyway. I needed to get that out.

• Look at dem downvotes, girl.

• MHO to this is to respond to each one of your so called turn offs with the male perspective:

1) Awkwardness: We're awkward because we realize you don't have two brain cells to rub together and are so self absorbed with yourself that we are like an animal caged and wanting to escape. We can only be your emotional tampon for so long and then we get annoyed and antsy and want to leave, instead we're awkward to make it more comfortable for you (actually I just end the date now, not going to waste my time on the 'all about me' women.
    2) Over Confidence: We're overly confident because otherwise we're awkward, sorry we don't have time for grey area, men are straight forward in general and we don't want to waste time with mental gymnastics. Either we are left to have women say we are awkward, so we become confident so we can approach, by the way women 99.99 percent don't approach men do, so that sh*t takes balls so give it up for confident even overly confident men or else you'd be buying your own dinner, flowers, etc. and all the other (everything pretty much) things in life (besides shopping we hate shopping for girl stuff ).
    3) Over Estimation Of Intelligence: So you'd rather have a man who sits there awkward? Conversation that is intelligent is that too much of a threat to your emotional dumping on the guy? Cutting into your 'all about me time' ? Honestly, if the were unintelligent then you'd complain, if he's average you say he's boring, if he's too intelligent you shame him. Get a grip on yourself!
    4) Invading My Personal Space: If you didn't want to be on a date with him or spending time with him why bother, mens intent is to be with women that includes physically. If you wanted a male girlfriend get a gay guy please, or one of your girlfriends, please do so, us regular guys have things to do, like build everything women have in this world around them and keep society running as we've been doing for millennia before women's liberation.
    5) Over Masculinity: Ummm that would be hypermasculinity. Not over masculinity, wait... I'm now over intelligent lol. FML seriously anything seems overly intelligent when simple grammar eludes you.

In summation here is my take on your closing statements.

Given our gender 'differences' (correct grammar usage) you feel the expectations placed upon each sex respectfully are aggravating (agitating is a physical action or verb upon a noun/object).

to be continued...

• continued...

Additionally, you want to be treated equally but respected like a woman (equality + all the benefits of a woman = hypocrisy/benefit seeking feminist).

Great! I agree with you, you get your equality so guys, let her pick you up, pay for dinner, drinks, movie or whatever. You can do it next time you go on a date, just to show her you 'respect her as a woman - an EQUAL woman' ! Sorry can't have your cake and eat it too. Guys are catching on, if not they are a simp/mangina and need to grow a set.

Also, no anger here, I agree totally, let's all be equal. As men we shouldn't answer your calls or return your texts. Instead we will use you for everything (money, gifts, rides, time, emotions, sex, etc.) & when were simply bored of you we will dump you for the next woman that wants us regardless how much you put into the relationship.

That's true equality! Not one woman I know comes even close to men I know in terms of skills & versatility. We men are the trophy good luck girl

• @Mscocobutter No one here is burned, the a male collective is just tired of women's bullshit, including yours. Pick up a shovel and hammer and build something and stop expecting men to do it all for you as ours and previous generations are tired of creating a world for women to live in such as yourself and then having this bs complaining about men in general. What do you contribute (don't include social media photos or consumerism because that's the downfall of society you as a female contribute to). Additionally, men don't have to put fakeup on, tell themselves they are plus size fabulous or 'few extra pounds' as we realistic not idealistic about the world. Hence how this world & civilization you live in was built on the backs of MEN. Everything every man & WOMEN enjoy was built on the blood, sweat, tears and lives of men, not women. Have some damn appreciation. We don't have fake boobs, fake asses, women are a walking billboard of deception. Men are just real, deal with it.

• Oh and by the way, unless you contribute you came from a test tube your father, grandfathers, brothers, uncles, cousins and all the others that make your life tolerable or else you'd be living in a cave and a leaf to cover your private parts. Men go out there since the beginning of time and hunt, build, create and created the dominant species in the world. Women, they had babies, that's it. So take your head out of your butt and realize and APPRECIATE that men are sick of being judged when all women have to offer is their reproductive capabilities. So what if we're awkward, etc. We are all those things above because we can't understand a gender that solely relies on us as males but has no idea the importance of how the female gender survives because of males. If every man went on strike for a day the world would be in chaos. If women took a strike well the malls would be empty & things would get done efficiently by men (as it's been for millennia). Cheers!!!

• Basically the same for me when it comes to women except it's a bit different.

1. Major Awkwardness
    2. Over Confidence
    3. Over Estimation Of Intelligence
    4. Invading My Personal Space
    5. Excessive Clingyness

• Every single time I check this website I swear...

Men this... men that... men suck... men are pigs yada yada

What's wrong with people these days rofl =P

• "Is my dick size good enough?"

We deal with that every day. Calm your man tits.

• @Heera I agree with you. Both today's version of feminism and misogyny is extremely annoying.

The problem is that feminism turns men into mysoginists and mysogyny turns women into feminists. This pushback on the part of both genders just seems psychologically unhealthy to me.

You mentioned how this trend is getting annoying and boring, I propose just taking a laid back approach... just laugh at it. It's much more healthy and at the end of the day you'll be happy not bitter 😃

• thanks fot advice!

• Your preference! Nothing wrong with that. Rock it girl

• They are all highly debatable generalizations about guys. Only a minority of guys will have any ONE of these traits.

• Many guys have them, thereby, she doesn't say that guys have them and thus doesn't generalize, but only states that she finds them less attractive if they do...

• @Rick1998 Stop yer mansplainin' right der.

• "Only a minority of men are masculine"
      - martyfellow, 2016

• Wow you are one superficial girl that's so unattractive even if you have good looks you still would have difficult time finding a long term relationship we guys when we mature after high school we want a girl with personality she always wins our heart but a girl with hot looks and superficiality ugh!!! Disgusting!!! Your standards are too high no guy is going to climb to the top of the tree to get the supposedly best apple but you still have to prove yourself to a guy... just your looks is not gonna do it!!!

• It sounds to me like you just want respect and some appreciation of your gifts and talents before he goes all macho on you.

• Okay, so most of the things in there are relatively normal things that people would find unattractive, so okay. . . great.

But then I get to the end and I see this: "Giving our genders each specific roles is agitating. As in, thinking I shouldn't be the one driving or I should be the one cooking or any general sexism whatsoever. I don't want to be treated like you think I'm weak or less competent than you at certain things, I want to be treated like your equal and respected like a woman."

1) You can't be respected "like a woman" if you aren't playing YOURSELF into some kind of "woman role," which you had just stated you didn't want to be in a "specific role." So that doesn't make much sense and begs the question:

a) What the hell does being "respected like a woman" even mean if not being respected as a woman.

b) If you expect to be treated as an equal to the man, then don't you also have to rid yourself of any social norms associated with pre-women's rights, such as: a man being expected to open your door, a man being expected to pay for dates, a man being expected to come up to you first, a man being expected to bring home all the money, or a man being the one expected to die protecting you and the children?

It feels like you click-baited everyone into reading your MyTake so that you could end with some crap about men not treating you equally.

It is a biological fact that women and men are different -- you cannot factually assume/expect otherwise, because that's life. We're different. Men have been protecting women and children since we realized men were born to be protectors and women, nurturers and child-bearers (for the most part).

In fact, you brought up "don't be sexist" while saying some very sexist things. If you want to be considered 'equal' to men, then maybe some day you'll get exactly what you want, and I can tell you right now -- you aren't going to like it one bit.

So, the majority of the stuff you brought up is all preferential based on what you like/want, but then you went off the deep-end and had to turn it into some sexist rant.

Sorry, but that kinda' stuff annoys both men and women. Someone's always trying to get their cake and eat it too. If you don't want to be in a "woman role" then stop placing yourself in one by saying and believing the crap you said here, because it makes you a hypocrite.

Maybe you should start holding doors open for men and workin 60 hours a week and working dangerous jobs or risking your life.

• Those are good things, you want someone emotionally available, treats you normally or like a valuable person who is a female. sounds healthy to me.

the #4 can be a challenge in some cases because we have to break through your space barrier, but yes, some guys are clueless (on serious drugs caused by your amazing beauty and feminine presence) and you have to put up a fuss for them to get it.

• Why would anyone be angry with you. These are things that turn you off... not things that turn every woman off.

Hey if it doesn't work for you, then such as life!

You did the negative side, how about the positive now... perhaps a mytake on what turns you on now?

• Probably nothing because she's a lesbian but doesn't realize it yet.

• Maybe. Generally if they can't think of anything about a guy that turns them on but can think of a long list of turn-offs it's a dead giveaway.

• Just because you can get laid doesn't mean all women are lesbians, you're just repulsive is all :)

• 4) is funny because some girls start whining about how the guy doesn't approach her enough, lol

• There's a difference between approaching and physical touching...

• @EnglishArtsteacher that's totally not true, women like it, when they don't is just because they don't like the person approaching them

• I know, right?
      Sometimes in a crowd, when I'm "accidentally" bumped by a pretty Woman...
      ... I gotta wonder?

• Lmao!! I just read through most of the comments. It's like a wild fire that just keeps on spreading and spreading. Guys and some girls, chill! everyone has their own preferences.
    And honestly, I might be the only guy saying this but I believe all those are true. Except maybe in 3, you might be talking about 2. If a guy is intelligent, he'll know when to stop boring the shit out of someone. But only a overly confident person would keep on talking, which is not bad unless if he's being too cocky.

• Surprisingly, i agree with them all... they are turn ons to a certain extent...
    everything is good in moderation... the above mentioned things were just over the top.
    I keep 2, 3, and 5 for the homies... every guy knows that.

• Yeah I would agree, the female version of 2 to 5 would turn me off - Awkwardness no that would be a bit hypocritical since I am a bit awkward myself.

• Hmmm... no age indication. I'm guessing about 18.

One think you will find is that men and women are NOT equal - they are totally different. Each will have differing strengths and weaknesses compared to you. Appreciate those differences. Don't try to be competitive with him, it doesn't look good on you.

You don't want a confident guy? Well gee, I'm telling you that you'll be bored to tears if he's not.

You really don't want them to be just like your girlfriends either.

It is yet time again for men to be men and women to be women.

• "Awkwardness"
    "Over confident"

Make up your fucking mind. Oh wait, you're a woman.

• It's called not liking extremes

• @pooper89
      It's called "being picky"

• actually it's not, I doubt you'd like those extremes in a woman, just like people don't like extremes in general (this is a fact, everything is about balance) Also, most people are somewhere in between so it's not really being picky

• More from Guys
    92

What Girls Said 75

• I agree apart from the awkwardness one.

I still find that cute and am awkward myself so wouldn't be able to say much on that one anyway.

• I am sorry but are you a lesbian! Like what the hell? These are the traits you actually find in a guy/man! Want to know why men are assholes nowadays because little feminists like you and the other annoying ones on my campus and everywhere I go practically tell every guy he is an idiot and does not know what he is talking about yet, you all want a man to still pay for you or hold the door for you or fight for you! How does this make any sense in your head I do not understand!

I want a man who is intelligent and can talk about politics and religion and science and whatever else there is even if he is smarter than me I will learn something new and will never be bored!

I want a man who has confidence or is over confident because he knows what he wants and he can get it and if he cannot then he will brush it off and go "oh well, your loss"

I want my man to touch me and hug me and squeeze - ever notice how in public women initiate the first touch and kiss in everything because men do not actually do that!

Awkwardness - mmh it is in our genes, we all awkward!

Seriously, I really hope you reevaluate on how you think because sweetie you are giving all of us a bad name!

• Honey, the only awkward person here is you, and every other woman disagrees. So please, go gently glide your nonsense opinion up your wide ass. :)

• Right? I read this thinking so she wants a man that isn't too smart, too masculine, too touchy or too awkward.. well damn no wonder men now a days say they can't figure women out! Lol I am not perfect by no means why the hell would i search for a perfect man with zero flaws. I happen to think some flaws are cute. Be awkward, be witty, be masculine and sexy! That's the guy I would be interested in! ;)

• @ Belleza2. She's probably a lesbo, asexual, or trolling bigot. Why hide behind an annoymous mask if she thinks she's qualified to speak on behalf of females? What is more, she cannot stand the scrutiny of her opinion without aiming insult at you. It's good you've shown your class by rising above that. Well-done. 👍🏽

• I completely agree!

I don't find awkward guys cute. I see it as a lack of confidence. If I'm the only one making plans and pulling the strings, be it in a relationship or a simple friendship, I get turned off and can never think of the guy romantically.

AND THE TOUCHY ONES OMG! There's a mailman that comes by sometimes always wants to hug female residents. He'll be like "heeeey haven't seen you in a while" and we don't even know each other. At least I don't know him like that but obviously he knows my name. And a few other women on the block constantly dodge him whenever possible because he's always trying to hug. Just hand me my mail and be on your way.

The rest are all full of themselves in different areas. It's impossible to have conversations with #3s. My tolerance level wears out quick and I get bored and blunt. I don't mind a little bit of the #2s, especially if they can admit areas where they're weak or if someone else is better than them. If they're fair enough to give credit to other people, I don't mind if they have a bit of an ego as long as they can back it up. #5s are just assholes who are going to be alone forever and never truly happy and blame all their problems on women no matter what. I'd never give the time of day. Let them die alone.

• Woah, that mailman is creepy...

• @HotDogg I hate when he catches me in my garage. I pick things up or put stuff between us so I can just reach over and take my mail. I hardly run into him so it's not life interrupting, more like an occasional annoyance.

• I'm thinking he's had success before seducing women that way, and that's why he keeps trying it.

• Oh! I agree on all of these!
    I mean awkwardness can be alright, if it's cute, more than just awkward and you can't go around it. But yeah, all of these - pretty spot on!

• Relatable myTake!

#2 is pretense, and I am with you for that. Not only it would put me off but also I would find myself harboring speculations whether he knows what he's blabbering or not.

• I don't personally agree with all of these..
    I read this thinking so she wants a man that isn't too smart, too masculine, too touchy or too awkward.. well damn no wonder men now a days say they can't figure women out! Lol I am not perfect by no means why the hell would i search for a perfect man with zero flaws. I happen to think some flaws are cute. Be awkward, be witty, be masculine and sexy! That's the guy I would be interested in!

• Everyone seems to get the impression that I don't want a smart guy, and I don't mean to be rude but... can you read? I specifically said guys who over estimate their intelligence, not intelligent people.

• @ AriesLove. You're on point. Needless to argue with chickenheads like this OP hiding behind an annoymous mask. 👍🏽

• @burlen Your profile picture is a drawing and your name isn't on your profile, you're just as anonymous as I am

• I'll give that a 4 out of 5! 👍

• Personal space stands out as the big one for me, particularly when you've already given a clear message by pulling away from contact. Staring would have to be another one for me. I don't mean being checked out for a bit (I love that), but when someone is sitting at a distance and looking as if they're trying to see straight into your soul. It's quite off putting...

• I can handle awkwardness to a degree, I wouldn't say I'm quiet awkward, but chatty awkward. Not everyone understands my personality so they take a while. If he's too quiet, I feel like I'm talking too much. I like confident men, I don't like cockiness, or guys who think their shitty personality will get them girls, like relax, be yourself. I agree, know it alls are gross, I don't mind a dopey guy if I'm honest, you don't have to be a walking encyclopedia but I do like someone with depth, you don't have to be book smart I guess. I have a few weird places that if you touch me I will get upset. I hate when people rest their hands on my shoulders, instant cringe. Overall, most guys I know respect my personal space but I'm not a cuddler. Over masculinity, yeah please don't think you're better than me just because you've got a dick. I think a primal type of man is hot, one that thinks I'm less valuable than him? Don't let the door hit you on the way out. I know girls who date guys who talk about how gross vaginas are and how bitchy girls are and I couldn't "love" a guy who thinks so little of women. I'd never trash men that way so I can't tolerate it.

• good take!!! can't stand over confident and macho guys

• Agree 100%

• I agree with all of this with one minor difference. I actually like when my boyfriend drives us or drives my car places. Gives me time to check my GaG. Lol.

• Ikr when I'm on the road or a long road trip with my girlfriend she loves it & so do I. It's like we're on an adventure standing on the head of the ship pointing out ward as she says "point the way Cpt." What is it with vulnerability being viewed as weakness with women these days wtf. It's like their afraid to be submissive. News flash women are naturally submissive, and stop looking at submissiveness as degrading it has power as well. For you don't agree then why do 90% of women have sex dreams about powerful strong men taking control? It's natural submission, stop fighting it.

• @Jujulius you've got issues dude.

• Lol yeah I'm not taking offense from anyone who can't hold an argument and results to insults typical middle school behavior.

• YES. Soooo many guys have come to believe (mistakenly) that girls will fall at their feet if they act like overconfident jackasses. So many guys think they're so much better than they are. #5 is especially true. I see all these skippy little guys strutting around my college like they're the Rock or something. It's like, you're 5'9" and 140 lbs. You're barely masculine, let alone hyper-masculine.

• Wow so true. There are a few well known guys here in gag who'd display all of those traits.

Throw in narcissism too because it's a mask for their emotional inadequacy.

• I nvr left an opinion whoa! I saw this Q on a dude's question thing on his profile. Yeah... I agree, that confidence isn't real like I said in my old comments... confident guys are calm, and sexy, and even borderline indifferent sometimes. They don't need to overdo anything. Or they can be emotional, but only about personal issues! Not trying to prove anything. If he shows off, he's trying to impress, so that's not confident anyway. But I think show off guys are childish, and calm or even nerdy guys can be sexy... and I love big and tall guys by the way. I like skinny too, but I <3 big ones.

• Absolutely! I hate it when random guys try to push themselves on you. You really hit it home with this list, though I'm generally more ok with awkwardness because I'm fairly awkward in crowds.

• #3 is sooooo true! I hate it when they try to make everyone agree with their own opinions. Also when they go on and on and they don't even know what they're saying...

• I like Over confidence and generally conceited men lol if you think you're a god. I'm gonna think you are too. That's just me lol but the others are terrible 😂

• To each their own haha

• I agree with you! I can't stand any of those you've listed and I can't stand over-masculinity! This one I've wondered about. I thought something was wrong with me. I also hate them (or anyone) telling me what to do. Giving advice I don't need. I don't like being dominated. I also can't stand men who can't make a phone call but who text all the time without getting to the point. Maybe this comes under 'awkwardness'... because it doesn't express confidence in themselves. Or if it means they're not really into me or have no money for a date... move on! By the way, a date doesn't need to be expensive... which leads me to another thing I hate. That is, how they think they have to have money and that they have to be rich to get a girl or to be worthwhile... hell! I make my own money... which leads me to another thing... when they are threatened because you make your own money... I want a guy for hugs, kisses, friendship and sex... not his money!

• I have to agree.

• More from Girls
    55