Why I believe Valentine's sucks.

Why I believe Valentine's sucks.Yeah, Valentine's day is approaching in high speed. And there is plenty of takes. But this is different. I won't say what you should stop or start doing. I'm gonna express what many of us think.

Valentine's day is a way of brain washing. Is society telling us when we should give our better half presents, and to the singles, which month of the year to feel cr*ppy. What we should keep in mind, is that it is a COMMERCIAL holiday, like many.

We could be left the day before V's and see that person as the worst because of leaving us alone the most romantic day of the year. It shouldn't be that way. It puts pressure over people to expend money and time, once a year, just for making other wealthier.

If you're not single, you might see it as a good holiday, but remember when you were single, you probably didn't see it as such.

So listen the point of view of a non romantic person, but realistic one. No one should tell you how to feel, or tell you what to do. At least not in those topics.
If you want to share this day with someone, do it, but because you want to, not because someone told you. And if you are alone, think as you thought the other time of the year, not lonely, or depressed.

Do not let any one to define your mood.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 20

• V-Day was created for commercial purposes, and I'm totally fine with that, if you can get money with something, why not do it.
    But the problem is when people use it as an excuse to express love to their partner. I mean, why do you buy flowers to your partner once a year? You should do it every month or so. A romantic dinner only once? Hell no.
    You're my love during 365 days, not just during one, and I should treat you like my love during all those days.

As a single man, I don't really feel bad during V-day for being lonely, because I basically feel like that every day xD

• I compensate Feb 14 loneliness with Flight Simulator 2004.

Fuck Love.

• Valentine's Day is a woman to prove that man love his holiday.
    That is to say in order to meet women's vanity.
    In fact, Valentine's Day is not significant.
    Can represent a lover things are soaring.
    I think men don't want to live what Valentine's day, just to make a girl happy.

• Its just a mere excuse. this day is more like 'Sex day'. Beneficial for gift centers, chocolate, cakes, candle, balloon sellers..

Like you said it puts pressure over people to expend their money n nothing else..
    Day with intense commercialization.. Annoying wishes to singles n haters of this day.

Its unnecessary day..

• Don't have a problem with Valentine's day being single I just hate the small % who have to tell everyone they're in a relationship and post a million pictures of their night out with their bf incase we forget she's going out with someone.

• I completely agree, it is a day that comes with the intense commercialisation and marketing and a lot of people really do hate having to conform and meet the ‘standards’ that determines how much they love their partner.

BUT, to most in a relationship (especially so the ladies) this is a special day to them and should be treated as such. For those who are single the choice is completely up to them on what they do.

• I've always been single on Valentine's day and I get annoyed by both pro/anti Valentine's day posts. It's really another day to me.

• Yeah I know right. Fuck Valentine's day. I dont need anyone to define my mood.

• This is my first year not being single but like I said before its stupid to get gifts only once a year for the person you love.. A surprise gift not near a day like this goes a long way.

• The single girls tend to hunt for a guy in the upcoming days. Plus if you're in a relationship there is an increased probability of anal sex.

• An excellent point. Valentine's day is a commercial holiday for chocolate and jewelry stores to make more money.

• I'm always ugly always will be because I'm single.
    Ha
    I love the meme by the way and yes you have a point. There is plenty of brainwashing going on in the world and most of it has to do with money and control.

• I'm always single always will be because I'm ugly.

• How enlightening.

• Very good. I agree.

• I don't like it just because it has a way of making some people feel left out and insecure. It's the only holiday, in my opinion, that can actually make you feel bad, and I hate that.

• You would be surprise on how many people feel down in Christmas. There are many holidays that have that effect. Though is true this one in particular makes a lot of single and recently-separeted people more self aware of their single condition.

• I feel the blues on Christmas too, no doubt, but for me at least it's nowhere near as severe. V day in particular really preys on insecurity, in a way that the other holidays don't.

• Suicide rates skyrocket during Christmas and the other winter holidays.

• Valentine's day doesn't bother me, insecurities does. It feels like everybody is watching me like "look a single". But in reality, I know nobody is not that retard.
    Loneliness is by choice.

• Yes. My point. To be alone and to be lonely are completely different things.

• #foreveralone
    #needagf
    #stillsingle

lol great take all us single people will just watch the notebook or something

• I would say loneliness is a state of mind. I feel like there are good parts of being single that people often overlook because there's so much pressure to couple up in society.

• Completely agree!

• Agreed, alone and loneliness are two different things. There have been times where I would date a girl that I wasn't really feeling it and I would feel lonely because I wasn't really satisfied if that makes any sense as if I was just dating for the sake of it.

• Valentine's day never bothered me before I'd had any romance. after losing my first love, it definitely stung more.

What Girls Said 14

• Honestly, it sucks a bit because I'm working the whole day, I became single at the beginning of this week from a two year relationship and this is the first time being single on V day since I was 14. I feel fairly liberated though!

If I get into a relationship again, I will make a pledge that Valentine's day gifts are banned. It was only made up so businesses can get more money, just like mother's and father's day. I would much prefer a day out together and some good sex, rather than cheesy, same old presents. Show love to me everyday!

• Some of us like flowers and chocolate but we should not wait until feb 14 to receive them.

• You know what I don't like about V-day? I'm probably alone in this, but it's all the desperate single girls suddenly looking at me like I'm a big, juicy steak. Oh, so most of the year I'm not good enough for you, but now that it's Valentine's you're interested? I've already gotten used to being alone, so just leave me that way, ffs. -_____-;

• Oh shit. Wrong box. -____-;

• But while I'm here, guys like chocolate, too, you know.

• I TOTALLY AGREE

• Valentine's day is just a commercialized day giving businesses an excuse to welcome in a load of money

• Why celebrate when you can have a 2nd Halloween? I bought myself a huge bag of gummy bears and I'm going to have a horror movie marathon on my own.

Valentine's day is purely an obligation holiday for material items and lust, non of which are romantic.

• I think my friend's horror punk band is having a costume party/concert tomorrow too.

Which horror movies are you gonna watch?

• @bloodmountain1990 I'll be watching: Psycho, The Exorcist, Halloween , The Shining, One Missed Call (Japanese), A Tale of Two Sisters (Korean), Shutter (Thailand), and the Conjuring.

• Valentine's Day is one of my favorite holidays. Whether I'm single or not I celebrate because I like it. I like all the pinks and reds and the candies.

What I DON'T like about it though is all the bitter/unhappy people that bash a harmless holiday because they're so insecure about being single or some other stupid reason. When people say "Valentines day shouldn't be the only day your significant other does nice things for you" OK and? Who said they don't do nice things for each other any other day? It's just another day added to the list. You can pretty much say that for any holiday. Let's just wear Halloween costumes every day and not confine it to "one day". See how stupid that sounds?

I'm tired of people ranting and raving about their hate for Valentine's day, it's played out and honestly no one really gives a shit if you like it or not.

• Sorry if somehow 'we'- single people - bothered you by just saying V's day is a commercial holiday. I won't change even if I was with someone. I'm not bittered. All the contrary, I feel amazing. Though I'm not alone. I do have people in my life, a guy and friends. I don't have a SO. But I never implied that those who celebrate V's day don't give presents to their SO. And me believing that V's day sucks is just an opinion, that I can share, being respectful, unlike you...

• You know, no one gives a shit about your opinion and your inferior existence either.

• You, maddam Cali, are clearly drunk on all that chocolate and pollen.

I give 0 fucks about V-day, one way or another. That doesn't stop me from telling people that it's a bullshit commercial, materialistic holiday meant to increase the wealth of old white people. Either give a counter-argument to that assertion or shut the fuck up.

There is a clear difference between Halloween and Valentine's day--Halloween isn't about personal relationships. Your argument is invalid.

• So you're single?

• Haha, that's the only thing you get from this? Yeah, I'm single. But I won't spend V's day feeling depressed. Actually I'm gonna go dancing with my girl friends.

• Oh, sorry...

• It's cool. I was being.

• So true. :)

• Why does it take one particular day to show your affection? Shouldn't love be express everyday? Why does a holiday and everyone thought of buying gift, having romance dinner and etc, has to show you what you should be doing that day? Shouldn't that all come from inside?

Everyday should be Valentine and not a single out day from the calender.

• It's like the women's day. Women that have half a brain know that as long as there is (the pretentious and absolutely ridiculous) "women's day" there'll never be true equality.

• Valentine's day isn't just about couples. I've given Valentine's cards and chocolate to my grandparents/parents every year and they really appreciate it. I don't understand why people automatically associate it with having a significant other or bashing single people. It certainly is a day to appreciate somebody close to you and that doesn't have to be a girlfriend/boyfriend. I mean why else do school children exchange candy and lollipops if it's just a day about having a man/woman?

• society has never said this is a month for singles to feel crappy. there's ABSOLUTELY no reason to feel crappy if you're single during the month of February . that's such an idiotic statement. if you're single, you're single. who fucking cares? if you're in a relationship, you're in a relationship. WHO FUCKING CARES? people in relationships don't make a big deal about Valentine's day. they just don't. its more single whiny people making a big deal about how shitty the holiday is. everyone knows its a stupid holiday made for businesses to get money. so is every other holiday. nobody complains about Christmas, or Easter . they are the same concept as Valentine's day. "buy people presents for no god damn reason. but we'll give you a crappy reason just to think it's okay". like oh ok lets celebrate jesus's birthday and get everyone presents. no one complains because they get presents. the majority of the people don't give a fuck about jesus, they just want presents.
    like get the fuck over it, seriously. when i was single i didn't give a fuck about Valentine's day. now that i'm in a relationship, i feel the same way. it's just a regular date night for me. nothing too fantastic. i treat my boyfriend like i would on any day, or any holiday.
    no one ever does tell anyone how to feel or what to do on Valentine's day. literally no one does. just because you see commercials advertising cheesy romantic crap AIMED FOR COUPLES, doesn't mean they're telling you you need to be in a relationship. they know some silly couple will run out and buy their product because they made it look cute. single whiny people take it into their own hands to think its all about making them look bad. which is so stupid. anyways, i'm not trying to attack you. this is just me ranting about all the whiny posts i've seen on here. it's getting ridiculous.

• Still it did sound like an attack. I guess you're right. It was a message to single people maybe, trying to tell them not to feel pressured or depressed... And Ibdon't celebrate many of the holidays believint they're just commercial...

• again, it wasn't directed towards you. just a general rant for all the single people who complain excessively. there's no reason for them to feel pressured or depressed. and good for you. a lot of holidays are ridiculous, but i still take part in them because it's just tradition in my family.

• It's not that I hate Valentine's Day. I just could care less. It's another day, really. If anything, I'm happy about not being in a relationship on V Day. It saves money lol. I mean there are some girls I'm seeing off dating sites to see who's the best one, but by no means was I thinking hey I better rush into a relationship so I can celebrate V Day properly.

Were either a match or were not, but that's another issue on it's own.

Bottom line is I view Valentine's Day the same as 420, another day. I smoke weed a lot, but 420 is another day to me. Last year was the first 420 in years where I didn't smoke but it didn't bother me at all because I was looking for a job at the time and that was more important.

• My boyfriend and I don't celebrate it. We never will. However, I do think people do make too big of a deal out of it. People who are single get way too depressed about it and people who are in relationships get pressured. I am glad I found someone who doesn't care about the day at all. We have our date nights of course, but we don't do it because we feel obligated but because we want to.

• I'm single, but I don't really think it's a big deal.