Why High School Dating Is The Pinnacle Of Wasting Time

A few days ago in my English class we were discussing a debate and one of the topics brought up was "Is highschool dating a disraction". Now normally by subconcious response was "Absolutely", but after more contemplation on the subject I began to realize more and more reasons to why high school dating can be considered time wasting.

Now if you were to ask an ordinary person what time period in your life is ultimately the deciding factor to whether or not you will live a fun and happy life or a miserable and boring life a good percentage of them will say high school, this is pretty factual as we've been taught all our lives that high school and passing these 4 years are what's deciding where we go from that point until our death beds. Let's also say hypothetically you were to also ask them what hobby, activity, action etc that you can do in high school that will cost you a lot of time, energy, focus, that should be directed at passing and getting good grades and chances are you may get mixed answers, but the one that is most to pop up is - Dating. Why do I say dating requires a lot of energy, focus, and time? Because lets face reality, it does. You have to spend time pleasing your partner, you have to spend time catering to them, you have to spend time giving them affection, all of which is time that could be spent on the bigger picture - grades.

Recently a survey was conducted at my highschool by a club of students that was asking "If you were ever in a relationship, did you grades begin to drop even by a small margin" and a majority of people who answer said yes, even more shocking is that they said it dropped by more then 10 points! So why is that something that is just bound to end anyway (Lets face it, a large majority of high school relationships are not lasting) taking up so much time of something that is ultimately going to decide your fate from that point on? Who knows, perhaps it's because of the media representing high school dating as such a passionate and romantic thing (At times it can be, but we're still kids and really we know nothing of real romance ... we still live in our parents home and a majority of us get allowance).

Personally, this is the reason why I think that high school dating simply isn't worth the time or energy. From personal experience, it's just drama, it never lasts, it always leaves both parties emotionally (and sometimes physically) hurt when the relationship ends, and most importantly it distracts you from your grades! I found out that I wasn't the only one with this mentality, some of the best looking girls and schools who are single I personally asked "Why are you single" and they responded "Because dating right now is a waste of time" and others added that they simply want to wait till college when they'll have more freedom and responsibility. One girl also said to me that "High school dating is a load of drama, both parties a majority of time just want bragging rights or just want someone to potentially have sex with. At this age, we're to young to even fathom what real love is so I'm not going to pretend that I do and I'm going to focus on my grades so when I'm older I have all the money and time to find a real partner".

I also was curious to what the fundamental difference is between being just friends and being girlfriend and boyfriend and I wrote down everything that came to my mind - Everything that high schoolers that I've experienced do when they're dating.

• Holding hands.
  • Kissing.
  • Making out.
  • Sex (Potentially)
  • Spending time together.
  • Caring for eachother.

That's it? That's worth spending a majority of what is arguably the most important years of your life? The thing about this is that - You don't have to date anyone to do a majority of these things which is a majority of what high schoolers date for in the first place. Some date because they truly are lonely and need someone to spend time with - Bu tthe fact is that you don't need a girlfriend or boyfriend to quench your loneliness, you don't need them at all to have sex, to care for you, to spend time with, etc that's what friends are for.

Please understand that these are just my opinions on this topic of why I think dating in high school is a waste of time. I'm not saying that you shouldn't date and by all means if you want to go ahead, but these are just the reasons I'm not dating and why I think it's pointless. Sure you may have someone to love, sure you may have someone to kiss, have sex with, etc but the very second you break up it's like all of that never happened and all your left with is crushed feelings that further distract you from what high school is primarily about - Passing.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 7

• Yes I agree high school dating is completely and utterly pointless.

• Who hurt you bro? People can do whatever they want, wanting is significant other is the norm in highschool. Plus, the majority of relationships are not long lasting, regardless of the person's age. Everyone wants someone to love them, not to mention hormones and whatnot. I respect your opinion, but still, my views obviously differ.😶

• "Who hurt you bro? "

So being real and smart equals being hurt? Lmao ok.

"Everyone wants someone to love them"

You don't need a girl or boy friend to love you lol.

" I respect your opinion, but still, my views obviously differ"

Obviously you don't lol.

• Most people only really date in high school for looks and publicity or to try and be cool for bragging rights lmao.

• Not really, you kept saying that dating will only lead to heartbreak, in fact you said "From personal experience, it's just drama, it never lasts, it always leaves both parties emotionally (and sometimes physically) hurt when the relationship ends". Thats not being real and smart, that is being upset over things frm the past. So obviously someone ended up hurting you. There is a type of love you can only receive from a significant other, or what, do you want to make out with your family memebers, do your family members always understand you, no. All I'm saying is that I am for highschool realationships, I don't see anything wrong with it. And i'd rather not get into the fact that you are dismissing what you would call the minority. I do respect your opinion but i simply disagree, I am just backing up my opinion, just as you are... Just because I disagree doesn't mean I don't respect your opinion, there's a difference._.

• I find this hilarious. In high school I had a boyfriend for over 2 1/2 years and I met the guy I fell in love with in high school as well and I am 20 years old. It depends on your personality and what you are looking for in a relationship. Personally, Im the type who doesn't want to waste my time, so I always wanted a serious relationship.

• It's just so different than that. Dating really isn't as simple as that. It seems like holding hands and kissing and drama is all that you get but it's really the little moments that make it all so worth it. Going I prom with my boyfriend, graduating with him, chilling on his bed, having someone who listened an understood me was so worth it.
    Also dating in highschool is great because you can fuck up and no one cares. You go through all the distrust, lies, sneaking because is new and you don't know what to do or how to do it. Not because your in highschool. And I'd rather be going through that then wasting my fertile years trying to decide whether the boy down the hall likes me.
    I think it's more important to fuck up in highschool than in college or at your new job. Because those things are actually really important where as highschool is about medium important in my mind. Mistakes in the real world don't brush of nearly as much mistakes in the highschool world.

• I didn't date in high school while most of my friends did. Needless to say, none of them are still with one of those guys. It's just for passing time, really. I mean, at the end of high school there were maybe 3 couples left in a sea of 150 people. I'm not saying you shouldn't date in high school if you really do meet someone you like a looot, it would be stupid to reject them just because you're in school. I just don't think you should date for the sake of dating because, to me, it always looked incredibly boring und painful for the one who actually thought they were in love for two weeks.

• u helped me ! dont ask why but u did

• very good points and very true

What Guys Said 6

• 100% right. Most people in high school are too immature to be involved in relationships, anyway, so most of the time they make mistakes, sometimes serious ones, that hinder them in later life.

They oughta do as most do in China and devote themselves to learning. Plenty of time for dating later...

• If you don't go through that stage in high school you just go through it later. Worst case when married. Relationship skills and dating skills are skills that must be developed.

• Think for a second why you wouldn't want to do this stage in highschool

• My general observation from most people I've seen is the later they started the worse off they are.

Don't have kids in high school. And yes try to aim for the school path you want. But especially for males, the later you start dating the harder it is. Same thing with sex. And relatuonships and what you should expect and when to walk away are something learned through experience.

• Yes relationships in high school are bound to fail. Even if you get married to your high school sweet heart there is over a 50% chance you'll be divorced within 5 years. So what's the point? Number one to gain experience. You are going to totally fuck up your first relationship. You might as well do it while you are young. Second it's about fun. Most kids play sports but why? Almost none will become professionals. They do it because they enjoy it. I don't know about you but I love female attention especially passionate female attention. Do you really only want to be with one female your entire life anyways? So stop worrying so much about it not working out and enjoy those young high school babes while you can. You talk about dating making grades go down well I can't even remember what my grades in high school were but I sure as hell can tell you every girl i kissed in high school.

• Agreed.

But that gives experience and fosters confidence. Some people can really maintain their grades while dating.

• also the obsession with being "cool"

high school is a very large waste of time for people. Standardized tests... lousy food, and absolutely no freedom in doing anything. And lets not sit through one of those gay assemblies where some special speaker has to come in to inspire the students.

its all a crock...

• I think getting someone to love, to be together won't HURT AT ALL!

But people this days are 24/7 at their telephone looking for no good damn reason.