Would you ever date an "ugly" guy?

I was watching tv this morning and a debate was whether you girls would ever date an "ugly" guy? Now I believe beauty is in the eye of the beholder, basically what one person deems ugly another may find attractive. I know looks ain't everything and I would never judge someone on their looks, its what's inside that matters. However physical attraction can be seen somewhat important to a certain degree. Men are deemed to be more shallow than women, however the guy at the centre of this morning's debate disagrees and thinks women are more shallow these days.

The question I wanna ask you girls is would you date an ugly guy? Imagine he has a great personality and can make laugh, was a lovely guy however he just completely lacks in the looks department. A yes or no answer please, you may put a reason by it if you wish. Thanks.

• Yes id date an ugly guy
  • No I would not date an ugly guy
Lots of mix reactions here. Some of you girls are saying yes and some have clearly said no. From what I've seen often, women do often go for looks first for a guy they hardly know,however if they have known the guy for a while then looks come 2nd to them.

Most Helpful Girl

• The guy I'm dating now is not the most attractive (to me at least) guy that I have dated. But I fell in love with his personality and we just have so much in common. And at first he felt that I was out of his league and all, but I tried really hard at first to just judge him on his personality. We have been dating for 4 months now, and I do love him, and I have come to love his appearances too.

What Girls Said 13

• No, I wouldn't date an ugly guy just because there needs to be attraction in a relationship and I just could never be attracted to an ugly guy. If there is no attraction, the relationship is not enjoyable. Personality is important yes, but so are looks and attraction and you need both elements to make it work.

• There are loads of examples which suggest what your saying isn't true

• Im not saying this is the case in EVERY relationship, but its definitely true in most cases.

Looks never last. Just look at pictures at almost everyones parents when they were just a few years younger. The truth is, everybody will pick looks right off the bat, but everybody thats been with a lot of partners knows that looks only last a little while, kinda like a toy that you play with for a while, and then get tired of. What i've learned is that most beautiful people don't have much more then their looks going on for them, because when life seems easy, most don't feel like working on them selfs. Kinda like most attractive popular students, like football players in school, that later become fat, balding, and a drunk. Mostly because they can't stop reflecting on their golden years.

The supposedly ugly guys that get treated like shit, or ignored for their looks, are faced with a two lane road. The first path is self-pity and shame, aka the victim mentality. And the second path is self-improvement, which goes far beyond temporary looks.

• Absolutely , would date a ugly man a s you put it , I married one looks are just a plus really its superficial eventually looks go as well then what do you have left ?I love men that are funny,witty,intelligent that to me is attractive and sexy then some muscle bound tanned beautiful faced man with absolutely no personality , or intelligence , I don't understand why the world is so fixated with the looks thing ...anyhow for me homely smart,witty,funny will win hands down

• Honestly, no. I'm sorry, but there HAS to be attraction there. Call me shallow, but it's really hard to get physically close to someone who you don't think is attractive. BUT...that doesn't mean I would only date people who other people think are good looking. As long as I think their good looking, than that's all I care about.

• Yes- but he wouldn't be ugly to me. I could never date a guy I wasn't attracted to, but attraction isn't just about being good-looking, believe me. There are some absolutely gorgeous men who I would never consider dating because I'm just not attracted to them beyond appreciating their appearance. For me, personality and how a guy makes me feel when I'm with him is what decides whether I'll date him and whether I'm attracted to him.

• I have dated guys where I was more attracted to their personality than their looks. For me it turns out they had a lot of self esteem issues and some flaws in their personality that I didn't like. I am always open to get to know somebody before I decide if I like them or not but when they start showing lack of confidence about their looks its a big red flag for me. I have learned that you can't just date someone for their personality; there has to be some form of physical attration there too.

• No doubt their lack of confidence and "self esteem issues" stemmed from their knowledge that most women already (or eventually) feel the same way. That knowledge is pounded into their head from the moment they gain a realization of how others perceive them, it is part of who they are, just as your perception of him influences how you react to him.

• I said "yes" I would date an ugly guy, but there is a twist. Even though he physically ugly (eg. face) I have to attracted to him. I am in between. I like skinny guys, so I wouldn't be attracted to a guy with a few extra pounds. But his face doesn't matter that much to me. I have had crushes in the past on guys that were not the most handsome man in the world. It was just something about them that I liked. I can't really describe it. So I would say both. He can be "ugly" but I still have to be physically attracted to him. Yes it is in the eye of the beholder.

• I've always said I would never date an ugly guy because I didn't understand how you would want to do anything with him if you don't find him attractive but I can think of one guy I know and he isn't good looking and he is sooo overweight-he's huge. But he is one of the funniest people I know, he's kind, he is just really nice and is a great person and I would actually date him. Even though I don't find him attractive at all his personality just makes up for it, and if you fell in love with someone like that then you would want to do things with them.

• I am going to sound pretta damn shallow, but yeah, looks matter. I care more about what the guy is like,, if we have the same interests, if he's funny etc., but I couldn't date a guy if I find him genuinely unattractiive. He doesn't have to be Channing Tatum, but like a 5/10 would be nice :)

• It's not shallow to want someone that you're attractied to. Part of a relationship is chemistry and physical attraction. If we don't have that then we can just be friends. Men are just as "shallow" honestly, they do the same thing.

I would not date a guy that I wasn't attracted to. If I don't know you and just met the guy then looks matter. If I do know the guy and he grows on me (that can happen) then I would date him.

• Yes,looks do not matter if the person has an attractive personality.

• yes absolutley, I have ancied loads of guys who arnt particularly attractive, but the fact that they made me laugh and are soo incredibly charming made them look like brad pitt to me, I looked past it completley :) I most definatley would XD

bless you lol

• yes I would, me and my friends always speak about if we would date an ugly guy or not..and noone believes that I would. but honestly if he can make me laugh/smile, trusts me, and stands by me then why wouldn't i? and looks are just a bonus personality is the most important

• If he was a good person and nice to me, then yes I would date an ugly guy. He would have to have a great personality.

What Guys Said 3

• I hope so. I have the face only a mother could love. God help me.

• I know this is addressed to girls but I kinda wanted to answer too.
    If I was going out with a girl I wouldn't consider her ugly. Other people might think she is ugly or whatever but if I thought she was ugly then I wouldn't be dating her. I need to find someone attractive to date them just like most people.

• The comments over here... well the truth is women care just as much about looks (if not more) as Men do... let's be real ladies... y'all find it difficult to date ugly men... every woman fantasizes about dating that handsome, tall , well-built man, who smells and looks good...