Guys: What makes a girl a "catch"?

Is it what she looks like? What type of personality she has? A combination of both? Feel free to go into detail.

Most Helpful Guy

• Compatible and admirable behavior, respectable value system and attractive physical appearance. Primarily. It's an absolute plus if she's intellectually smart and hates Twilight.

• I'm glad you found that helpful! :D
      Although I wish I knew what that one downvoter disagreed with. She probably likes Twilight, haha.

• I found it helpful because what you described as being a catch is general enough for most guys to agree with, instead of being biased and describing your own specific dream girl. It also makes sense---a good-looking girl who's likable with respectable values is sure to be liked by plenty of guys.

And yeah, you know how those Twi-hards are. I'm surprised you didn't receive a very angry message listing the reasons why hating Twilight is a sin that inevitably results in eternal damnation.

• Ah I see, that makes sense :D

To be honest, I even asked a question "is it okay if I wouldn't date a girl who likes Twilight" and the people of this website mostly supported the idea, haha. They said, "you are what you read", and "Twilight is rubbish" :D Although to be fair, I know some people who actually are pretty cool and did enjoy the books for one reason or another, but it makes me a bit wary at first. But the general consensus is that the movies are horrible in every way, and as much as I have seen of them, that's a valid claim.

What Guys Said 64

• - Attractive
    - Fun, pleasant personality
    - Compatible morals and values
    - Sexually compatible
    - Similar/compatible life goals (marriage [or not], kids [or not], lifestyle, etc.)
    - Not emotionally oversensitive or easily offended.

• Define attractive? Please?

• Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I personally think Taylor Swift is the most gorgeous woman on earth, friends tell me my eyes are fucked.

• I didn't define it on purpose, BECAUSE it will mean something different to each guy. Other than "not being overweight," "long hair," and "pretty face," it's hard to think of anything specific that MOST guys consider ideal. Some guys like big boobs and some like small. Some guys like big asses, and some small. Some guys like thin girls and some curvy. Some like tall girls and some like short, etc. Most guys like a wide-enough range of attributes that they'd find most girls who are in decent physical shape to be attractive.

• Some guys will state a girl is a catch when she's physically attractive (maybe even slightly out of their league). If a girl is hard to get and you succeed to establish something with her, that's great.
    In my personal experience, a girl is a catch if I want to catch her. She can be short, tall, wear glasses or not, she can speak my language or another, she can be interested in me or she can be trying not to fall for me for whatever reason, etc. There is not something like a mark on these girls I consider a catch.
    Personally I like girls with an open personality, who are cute but also have an edge. I don't want a girl who is like this all the time: "I don't know what I want to do, you can decide, I will do whatever you will come up with..."

• I don't know. There are more and 'many fish in the sea' but I've been so disappointed with women that I don't even want to go fishing anymore.

I wish Jesus could just tell me to throw a net over the right side of the boat then the perfect girl for me will be caught.

But more than catching her, I desire to be able to love, appreciate, support and keep her forever because what could be worse and a waste to have the perfect catch but then line breaks?

I think the perfect catch would have characteristics of love, intimacy, harmony, and communication. Without these, even if you were with a total knock out, you wouldn't truly want to be with her and would continue searching. Am I right?

• The older I get the more I realize that men and women find the exact same things attractive i their partner. Everything is important not just how the person looks, it's the confidence, the sence of humor and playfulness, the intelligence, posture, and hygiene as well as several other things. Yes a woman can be perfect physically but if the same woman was funny and smart and confident and had excellent posture and was basically on my level, that's the difference between a one night stand and my future wife. Sure I wana fuck barbie but now in the other hand Stacy over here is just a little less hot but she's got the personality that I crave I will go for Stacy every single time unless I'm just an asshole looking for a place to park my dick for a minute. So think about that, whatever personality traits you find attractive in a man are the same things that man will find attractive in you.

• Her character, personality, body, complete package. As the song goes
    She's got her daddy's money
    Her mom as good looks
    More laughs than a stack of comic books
    A dynamite kisser
    A good bass fisher
    Country as a turnip green
    College education
    Wild imagination
    Add it all up its a deadly combination

• The girl next door. Naturally pretty and doesn't wear too much makeup. She's funny, intelligent, educated, passionate and trustworthy.

• I'll just cover the looks portion here. If your honestly not that great looking like a 4 or below, I can't define what a below average person looks like but you know what it looks like when you see it, then you just have to accept the fact that regardless of your personality you will end up with a guy that is probably pretty weird looking.

Now 5 or above, average looks and up, they don't really matter all that much beyond the initial attraction. I mean the main part is you put some kind of effort into your appearance. That means somewhat working out, being at least basic with makeup and having at least a vague attempt at a style. The big part that matters most is just being interesting and not boring, so have a Damn life worth talking about, actually listen and comprehend what the person you like is talking about, and just smile and crack some jokes. That's it when it comes to the importance of appearances.

• to me; a girl the is herself if the best girl. she doesn't worry about makeup, dresses the way she likes and is true to herself. i just really like that and i think lots of guys like that because these type of girls are pretty rare nowadays. girls often try to look like the model on the magazine and wear a ton of makeup but to me that is not pretty. id take a girl with her own sense of style, her own personality and that is all natural over a wanna be celebrity. all i really want is a REAL girl. doesn't matter if she doesn't look like a victoria secret model. (looks kind do matter but its more about hygene than actual physical appearance. a cute girl that doesn't take care of herself will look ugly in comparison to a not so cute girl that takes care of herself).

Also physical "size" doenst really matter. idc if my girl has small boobs or a small ass. it really doesn't mean anything to me

so to summarize, if a girl doesn't wear too much makeup, is nice, authentic, unique has a great personality.

• An excellent description of what I found in my wife many years ago.
      You might warn to include "a goal oriented mindset" To me what adds to a woman's allure is her smarts.

• A "Catch" is hard to come by in today's market... lol

What make her a catch is probably a well balanced combination of things, obviously her physical looks , compatibility , her type of personality, if she is claim, soft spoken an sweet , affectionate an loyal , if she favors a little more to the delicate and feminine side , mentally an emotionally stable, someone the guy enjoys being around (not one he has to find excuses to get away form) she needs to be all these things while still being her self an that makes her a "catch"

Now if she is a good cook to that moves her status form "catch" to " trophy" ... lol

There are two basic things to catch and keep a guy , but there are dozens of ways to run the guys off

• Going into detail. I like that. But there's not much need.
    Looks are important when you're young. Eventually you'll want to end up with someone you like for other things than just looks. So when you're young and you're a guy, you'll probably looks are important. Then, as you get older, you'll start to value other qualities more than looks, perhaps you'll appreciate a girl being funny, or the kindness in her, or her loyalty. Depends, just like looks, it's in the eyes and heart of the beholder.
    What I can tell for sure, no one appreciates stupid, evil bitches. So, if you picked that evil bitch for her looks alone, you're gonna be sorry eventually.

• A catch would be a girl who has the combination of decent looks mixed with interesting personality while being into what the guy is into. A catch usually has qualities that tend not to be found together.

For basic example a catch for me is a dark humoured alternative girl who likes animals and working out while having a nice bum and enjoyment of sex and kinks but also doesn't mind me playing video games.

• In all honesty, its someone you feel that you get along with and they dont have to try to impress you and you like them for Who they are, looks aren't as important as girls think, in my opinion a 'catch' is someone that makes you smile whenever you see them

• Yes a little bit of both. To me a catch would be a girl with really nice eyes, pretty face, and nice personality. I just lost a catch yesterday because she was insecure about herself and did not realize how much of a 'catch' she was to me :s. It sucks, it really really sucks, a girl like her should not have ANY insecurity..

• Combination of both, obviously.

Mostly it's her aura though. How she is. If she smiles a lot, or well. Either or. And it's a damn cute smile and she has an awesome and cute laugh. And beautiful mesmerising eyes. There you go.

• Quiet, Shy, Sensitive at times, Lacks sarcasm, Funny, Loving
    I like girl who has some morals, down to earth likes to hold hands
    is very affectionate, laid back, wants marriage with kids, can be
    a virgin/ or not a virgin, i like girls any shape , looks not matter/
    not high maintenance / lacks being materialistic

• - Looks and acts feminine
    - Doesn't sleep around
    - Likes doing things for me e. g. cooking
    - Plus the usual shit e. g. honest, kind, caring, sense of humour etc.

• Well for me, it's the kind of girl that has an amazing personality. Also, I have to be able to relate to her in some way such as hobbies or other things we have in common. Looks are important of course, I mean, you have to look good to catch my eye. That's what makes a girl a "catch" for me.

• Every guy is different. For me I absolutely adore blondes, especially ones who act cute with 'blonde' comments. Girls never like me back though, but yeah, every guy is different. Usually just a mixture of both

• A woman can cause attraction by her beauty at first. She can be be beautiful all she wants but when a good guy wants something serious, then the woman has to be genuinely true to what her personality was to begin with. By saying that I mean she has to respect the guy. A good guy will do what he can to please his woman regardless but if a woman treats him like a hand towel then he's just gonna allow himself to float off into the wind and move on.

• I also love quirkiness and when they love to be playful in a good way :)

• Intelligent, Nice Sense of Humor, Fun, Kind, and if she's funny that would be awesome. Rarely do females ever make me laugh.

• If she's attractive with a personality I click with, that's very idyllic. But honestly, personality really really goes a long way and can totally make me fall for someone even if she's not that conventionally attractive.

• It varies for each person. But for me she is a catch if i could spend the rest of my life with her happily

• - Good sense of humour
    - Takes care of herself well
    - Fun / Affectionate
    - Not too much of a party girl
    - Sexually Compatible
    - Smart
    - Can be independent but still need you
    - Confident
    - Similar music taste
    - Athletic
    - Loves family
    Just a couple of the many things I could list :)

• attractive (obviously), someone who is dependent and confident in themselves. but not to distant to where i can't play the knight in shining armor character once in a while. also she should have a great since of humor and have similar values and morals. (if her favorite pop tart is chocolate chip then that's a plus!) she should be comfortable to say anything around me and be honest and loyal, a nice person just in general wether around me or others.

• Any girl who can just make me radiate with happiness. A girl who's eyes I can stare into and just feel loved. Someone expressive and playful and just jubilant. As far as looks, I gave have no one preference, but I love colorful eyes, long hair, and a fit bod.

• It depends on who you're asking. for the guy you're with it will most likely be a combination of both.. for his friends it will most like be your looks. It also depends on how long you have been together. when I started dating my girlfriend I was into her for her looks, but now ( 2 years later) Im really into her personality.

• attractive and not a ho

• I think a "catch" is a girl who has something special about her personality-wise, something you can relate to, so it varies from person to person.

• Combination.

Attractive.

Loyal.

Fun personality

Didn't sleep around

Loyal

Smart--not like "oh, I have a PHD in gender studies" smart but street smarts

not emotionally damaged

• The 'catch' for each guy is different, but the concept is the same: she's got all the qualities he likes.

• More from Guys
    34

What Girls Said 4

• All guys are different.

• CONFIDENCE. But not cockiness. You dont have to be drop dead gorgeous to be attractive. Men are a sucker for a confident and also an unattainable woman. Men naturally love to chance and there's nothing more intriging than a woman with mystery.

• Guys look to body more then behind that body --"

• Yeah, because men are very visual and zexual beings. They go for what looks nice and will turn them on I guess.

• Nope, not true. Those are those superficial ones. There are the ones that take the personality over the looks. Of course we all have to be honest. When looking for someone, they've got to be attractive. But the personality of who the person is, makes up the rest. You can't just be sexy standing there. You have to be sexy yourself. That's what makes the package. It also works from both sides too :) I'm betting you look at body first. There's some study out there, that say that it takes woman a very small time frame to know if they like a guy. Don't tell me, that looks can't be a deciding factor.

• That's like saying guys look at the wheels of a car more than the rest of it - obviously not true. A car needs the right wheels for the guy to consider the car, if it does then he's gonna evaluate the rest of it, if it doesn't then no matter how good the rest of the car is he won't want to drive it. Same goes for looks.

• Not gonna lie, its probably about 80% body/looks and 20% approachability