Guys, would you date a woman who doesn't have her driver's license?

I just turned 21 and I still haven't learned to drive and I'm highly embarrassed about it. I know it's obviously about time that I should.
The topic can up with this guy I met and his first reponse was
"Wow, has that ever caused problems with boyfriends or relationships?" My reponse was that I haven't really dated much so, I'm unsure.
His advice to me was to start driving first before I ever think about dating. This is why I am taking a small poll. Thanks in advance!

• Yes
    67% (31)
  • No
    17% (8)
  • Maybe but, it depends.
    16% (7)
And you are? I'm a GuyGirls can not vote on this poll

23

Most Helpful Guy

• I have tried dating a girl without a car and it turned out badly. She got very irrational with me and wanted to see me too much. I gave it a chance thinking she'd get one soon but then as time went on I found out she has no intention on getting one for 2 years and she would say things like she "couldn't be bothered" to get oil changes.

At the time I believe she was 22 so this was odd. But this also lead to her having parents heavily involved in everything she was doing. She was always with them. If she had to go somewhere, it ended up on her parents. She also lived with her parents so "staying in" meant a round trip leading back to my place which added up on my car. Having overprotective parents then lead to her not being able to spend the night turning my daily commute into basically 100 miles each day. I couldn't deal with that in addition to her giving me a little bit of money once out of all the time we dated.

Now having mentioned that mess... if you're intending on getting one soon I notice guys are much more friendly about a girl's situation compared to the other way around. Most guys will bear with such a situation. I do suggest getting your own license and car asap though because it's still going to be inconvenient. If a guy is willing to deal with it, be polite and offer some gas money and such.

Keep in mind distance between each other plays very heavily here. It's much different if the person's practically next door compared to another town.

• Thank you for your response. Also, I personally couldn't date a guy who didn't live within a 15 mile radius, like you said, it's far too much trouble.

What Guys Said 22

• I married a woman who did not have her license. She got it after we were married. Before me, she was in college and when dating the guy would drive, so she just never needed it. Once married, her life changed and then she got it. Same can work for you. But you don't have to wait for marriage to get it.

• I'm in my early twenties (older than 21) and I still don't have my driver's licence... Lol
    Trust me, it's not a big deal. His advice is bogus. I wouldn't listen to it. If you've never needed it, then you've never needed it. Same goes for myself. I've never had a need for one until now. (I'm looking to getting it this year) There's nothing wrong with that. I think it's worse if the guy doesn't have a licence that the girl. If anyone got flack for not having a licence, it'd be the guy. You've definitely got nothing to worry about.

• Well, I sort of do need my license. My brother and I attend the same university so, I carpool with him since we bath live at home anyway. Last semester, he's always make me late for class because he wakes up late. My friend that I was talking about is pressuring me to drive now even though I'm not his problem. I guess he just wants to help is all. I don't know

• You're lucky, I still have to pay for gas and repairs for the car since my brother drives it. I even paid half for the car.

• Half that gas isn't too bad. While I didn't have to pay it, upkeep on cars also cost a lot. But you're right, free is definitely better than not.

• If she plans to get her license, then yes. But if not, then that would certainly not help the relationship. After all, she would mostly depend on me doing the driving. Now, I'm not against driving. But when there's so many things to do as far as running errands, it can really put a lot of stress on me that I don't need. I could probably still date her, but I can't guarantee that the relationship will last. Unless she's willing to become a complete housewife and that she actually does all the house chores.

• I didn't get my license until I was 20. Most guys probably won't care about it, it'll be a minor convenience at times for sure but it definitely wouldn't be a dealbreaker unless you guys were both living together and working different jobs or something. That would just make things painful.

• I voted yes and I've dated two women without one

• Why would that matter? I would hate to live in a world where someone would be dumped because they dont have a license..

• I guess it depends on where you live. I'm currently in college and I keep the fact that I don't drive or have a car a secret because when I tell people, they think it's weird. Even when I was 17 and still riding the school bus the younger kids would ask "So, why don't you have a license yet?"

• I find it really sad that you feel that way. I really wouldn't care if a girl had to go by bus to school. Don't think too much about what's "normal" in society.. It makes a big difference when you have a car, a lot more things before a lot easier, but I would neeeever judge a person for not having a car. I'm 26 and got my first car about two months ago.

• We don't have city buses out in my area or taxis which is why people probably judge me I think. I was talking about the public school bus back when I was a kid just to clarify. I ride with my brother to school currently since he goes to the same university.

• Naaaah. Maybe it's because i was raised in a society where women don't generally drive, and whenever they do they can't do it good, i don't care if my SO can drive or not. Heck, when my father died and i wasn't at the legal age to drive yet, the car simply wited for three years to be driven. My mother and my sister cannot drive either.

• Yes and teach her to drive. Then forever on "well my ex taught me to drive and always piss off her current boy friend. You'd "drive" him crazy.

• yes i would, but if she tells she never wants to get it then we have a problem

• lol all my girl friends drive me around...
    lazy boy life style :p

• I wouldn't mind.

• Maybe over there it is different but here not everyone will get a driver's license... my dad for example never had it

• Where I live, most people over 16+ have one. In high schools here, they have student parking and most of the kids that were in grade 11 and 12 drove themselves to school. I'm in college now where mostly everyone drives. It's just the state where I live but, in places like New York, most people don't have one.

• Here most students use public transport or the bicycle

• We have a public school bus for kids here but, it's a bit embarrassing (at my old school at least) to still ride the bus if you can drive here as a teen. Here, maybe a few kids rode bikes back when I was in school but, bike riding is usually very dangerous because we don't have sidewalks in my area.

• I'm 26 had my license but lost it due to too many accidents.. so been there done it.. and therefore I wouldn't mind.

• My brother's girlfriend's sister doesn't have her license either and she's like 21 years old but has failed the driving test.

• Has she ever had trouble dating?

• I don't have my driver's license either.

• Yeah it makes no difference to be honest. I love driving anyway so more time at the wheel for me!

• it would be an inconvenience but i think id be ok with it.

• Sure, why not?

• whats with the driving license i don't get it who care until she is nice to me

• Honestly a good first date would be teaching you how to drive.

• There's plenty of thirsty dudes that don't care if a woman has a car, license, money, own place, etc. Only women care if guys have that , so you'll be alright.

• yes. i don't care about her having a drivers license lol

• Do you live in a city where most people drive or is it a bigger city where it varies?