Why does my ex text me but then not continue conversation?

My ex leaves me messages but then never bothers to respond. What's up without that? He'll message me about something, I'll respond with something he could easily reply to but he simply doesn't bother. Is he wanting to talk to me or not? Before we where together he would do the same thing, he'd just stop talking. I don't get it. He'll often compliment me, like he sent me a message about a photo I was tagged in making a private joke and adding that I had a gorgeous smile. we've been apart for 3 months, I was the dumper. I realize this has been all over the place and rambling so I'm sorry haha. Anyway, what do you think?

Most Helpful Guy

• Well, it could really be a multitude of things.

Simplest answer could be that he is just generally flaky with his phone. Short and sweet. Maybe confront him in a "it makes me feel... when you do this..." so you set your self up for a little vulnerability but you can get an answer. He MAY not even realize he does it, or how it makes him feel.

Also, if you were the dumper it could be that he is trying to either build a friendship with you because he DOES like who you are, or he could be trying to rebuild your relationship but doesn't want to smother you with CONSTANT messaging. Men are fearful, and women can be confusing, and men are afraid of that fine line between smothering, and being too distant.

My guess would be that he still likes you. He wants to talk to you. But he doesn't want to get his hopes up too high. He doesn't want to be hurt/rejected. I hope this helps!

What Guys Said 1

• If he's not giving you the respect of replying when your replying to his texts. The next time he texts you, just don't even reply. He just wants to make sure that your still there.

Don't reply ever again to his texts, and see how he starts ringing off your phone in a couple of weeks.

I wouldn't get back with this guy. He's not solid.

What Girls Said 3

• He just wants the response from you... maybe he thinks it proves you still have some feelings for him, maybe he just wants the validation of knowing you haven't moved on from him yet, maybe he's just bored and feels like texting someone. Those are just my best guesses, but I wouldn't read too much into it if I were you. Maybe you could try *not* responding next time he texts (you already know it's a waste of time anyway, right?)

• I don't know the conditions of the break-up but it sounds like he just wants to hear from you, perhaps to assuage his bruised ego.

If you have no interest in reconciling, I suggest No Contact in order to let him heal and move on.

• I think he might just want to know that you still respond. Try ignoring him the next time he sends something and see how he reacts.