• Ask
  • myTake

Dark Hair And Pale Skin: Why This Look Is Attractive

Beauty is a concept that has been hotly debated over history, but in modern America female beauty often seems to mean blond hair and a tan. However, many people still consider dark hair and pale skin to be extremely attractive.

There are many celebrities with dark hair and pale skin that are considered beautiful, even sex symbols. For example, take pop super star Katy Perry. She is known for her jet black hair and pale skin, but she is widely considered one of the most attractive women in the music industry.

Another great example is Zoey Deschanel. She has starred in a number of movies and has a rather large cult following her both for her acting and her stunning beauty.

Katy Perry

Anne Hathaway, Kiera Knightly, Sandra Bullock, and Penelope Cruz all have dark hair and fair skin. This is a just a tiny fraction of the celebrities that look great with dark hair and pale skin. And while many celebrities are famous for their blond tan look, there are plenty that are thriving with dark hair and pale skin.

"Many people still consider dark hair and pale skin to be extremely attractive"

In fact, for much of the history of the English language, dark hair and pale skin have been viewed as the epitome of beauty. Women are often praised for their snow white skin and raven dark hair in the works of Shakespeare, Donne, and Eliot. It seems relatively recently that English-speaking cultures have diverged from this view of beauty.

This brings us to the question: Why is the combination of dark hair and pale skin so attractive? To start, they provide an eye-catching contrast that is not provided by blond or red hair. This sharp contrast of neutral colors also provides a magnificent canvas for other colors that one might choose to wear. There is a historical reason for society to find pale skin attractive. Before the industrial revolution, pale skin was a sign of high social class. The reason for this was that the lower class people generally had to work outside, which caused them to get a tan. Therefore, pale skin was seen as a sign of beauty due to its social implications.

"Dark hair and pale skin provide an eye-catching contrast "
zooey deschanel

Despite American society's current obsession with blond hair and a tan, light skin is becoming more popular among celebrities again. It is often seen as a sign of classiness and a willingness to embrace your own body instead of using fake tanning products or going to a tanning salon. Pale skin and dark hair have always been and probably always will be seen as sexy in American society. For good or for bad, the look is here to stay.

What Guys Said 5

• Great article. I think that when it comes to beauty (as with so much) the mainstream says one thing while the rest of us say another.

• I'm with monkey and julesxx87. I love blonds to, but 9 times out of 10 it's the other way around.

• Always loved and will always love pale skin and dark hari, though red hair, dyed or not in combination with fair skin is quite the combo.

• I love that match on a woman, makes them look more elegant and lady like.

• Brunettes are definitely my favorite as far as the hair color. The dark hair against the fair skin has some magical powers on me.

What Girls Said 4

• Dark hair is stunning, but the reason why it is sometimes seen as less attractive with pale skin in this day and age is because the new high social class percieves darker skin as a sign of health and wealth. Wealth in the terms of affording to travel to exotic sunny locations and health in terms of the complexion appearing to be more vibrant and less ghostly. I personally think it's nice to see people in their natural state.

• People always tell me why are you so white you need a tan do you ever go to the beach or they would call me Caspar white cracker at first i felt very insecure and tried so hard to get tan i would sit in the sun for hours but i have learned to accept my self and love my skin color i thought everyone disliked pale skin but i have met many people that love it :3 which makes me feel a tiny bit better

• I love pale skin

i am fair haired and very pale hate tanning and orange skin makes me think the whole person is fake.

my younger sister is natural ginger and she can't tan hse burns she has very fair skin and she is gorgeous

• Wow, I love this article. My natural colors are very pale skin and dark brown hair and people are always telling me to get a tan. I see pale women and think they are beautiful too and I always wondered why everyone is being forced into getting a tan. Thanks for the reminder that there is more than one type of beauty out there.

Join the discussion