What a REAL Bigot is: the True Meaning of Intolerance

Do you think you are open-minded? Do you think you're tolerant? Do you find yourself throwing the word 'bigot' around often? Most likely you need to read this short and simple take.

This has truly bothered me for some time now, so I decided to write a take on it, simply to explain what these words actually mean, since so many seem to not know.

Let's look at the definition of open-minded.

*Openminded: willing to consider new ideas; unprejudiced.

Do you find yourself assuming all democrats or liberals are irreligious, unconstitutional, poor and immoral? Do you find yourself assuming that all republicans are war-loving, gay-hating, woman-hating, racist, rich and religious? Do you automatically judge people based on these affiliations? Be honest now. If the answer is yes, you are most likely close-minded in actuality. Open-minded means to consider ideas other than your own and to remain unprejudiced.

Now let's look at the definition of tolerance.

*Tolerance: the ability or willingness to tolerate something, in particular the existence of opinions or behavior that one does not necessarily agree with.

Do you find yourself jumping down people's throats for having differing opinions than you? I saw this often during the Bruce/Caitlyn Jenner arguments. People were telling other individuals who had different beliefs than them that they were intolerant, whereas they were actually practicing intolerance themselves by stating anyone who believed differently than them was intolerant or bigoted.

There will always be people who have beliefs we do not agree with or don't like. But it does not mean that person is bad. There have been many people who do not agree with the sex change, but are respectful to others opinion and even somewhat supportive of Jenner regardless. Isn't that true tolerance? By condemning everyone who holds beliefs you don't agree with, you are commiting the same acts you are speaking out against.

Lastly, let's look up the definition of 'bigot'.

*Bigot: a person who is intolerant toward those holding different opinions.

Similar to the last example, by calling someone a bigot simply for holding different beliefs than you, you are actually commiting bigotry yourself.

EXAMPLES OF TRUE BIGOTRY,CLOSEMINDEDNESS,INTOLERANCE:

"You support transgenders and homosexuals? You're a disgusting person..."

"You think being gay or transgender is wrong? You're a disgusting person..."

EXAMPLES OF TRUE OPENMINDEDNESS/TOLERANCE:

"You support transgenders and homosexuals? Even though I think it's wrong, I respect your opinion and think we could learn a lot from each other. Let's discuss this."

"You think being gay or transgender is wrong? I respect your opinion, though I have to disagree. Why don't we discuss this? I think we could learn a lot from each other."

In conclusion, please be aware of your own words and behaviors before throwing these words around. There are a lot of touchy subjects out there and just because someone believes differently than you does not automatically make them a bad person. I hope you all take something from this and start communicating your ideas in a respectful and effective manner.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 9

• "Bigot: a person who is intolerant toward those holding different opinions"

Thank you for posting this :)

The real bigots are the homophiles (supporters of homosexuality) since they see anyone disagreeing with homosexuality as their personal enemy.

• I do notice a lot of supporters can be very bigoted and intolerant, however definitely not all of them are. Unfortunately the more bigoted and intolerant people tend to be more outspoken, so their voices are the only ones that are heard. There are a lot of bigoted and intolerant people from the opposition as well. I think probably a large majority of people are like this in general.

• I am stubborn in my ways and tolerant of others ways but I can look at things unbiasedly if I have or need to. But there are some things I can never and will never support or respect.

• I respect the person, not the belief.

• i don't agree. a person can be open-minded and still open to different beliefs.

• Huh? Open-minded means that you're open to different beliefs, that's what I said.

• I am not open-minded.
    I am not tolerant.
    I am not respectful towards utter nonsense.
    I guess that makes me a bad guy.

• I never said you were a bad guy (or anyone else for that matter). I think it's better to be respectful towards others' beliefs, especially if they are speaking with respect, but some people do think it's better to be blunt. and I wouldn't say bluntness is always a bad thing. You may be referring to my last statement about people not automatically being a bad person. What I meant is that people often are cruel to others for their beliefs, because they assume the person is coming from a place of hate or wanting to harm others, and this is mostly not the case.

• upbringing and experiences* I should say.

• no but it means you're a bit mentally stunted... and arrogant, despite what the Bible tells you..

• There are only two things I can't stand in this world: People who are intolerant of other people's cultures, and the Dutch.

• Bigot gets thrown around a lot in this site if a liberal doesn't agree with a conservative. i don't think liberals are open minded at all.

• I just read a bigoted take on a bigoted website full of bigots, whilst being a bigot for my opinion on bigots. Christ above.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji4WD2b-anM

• I guess I'm a bigot under that definition. To me it just seems like another word for somebody who has strong beliefs. I don't respect all opinions for that reason.

What Girls Said 0

Share the first opinion in your gender