My boyfriend is an athlete, what do I say to him after his team loses a game?

It's not the type of situation where you could say "Be a man, get over it" because it's basically his livelihood. So I just need advice/pointers from people who have been in this situation on what would be encouraging for him to hear? Serious answers please :)

Thank you thank you!

Thankkk you everyone who answered :) Even the people who posted ridiculous answers. Haha.

Most Helpful Guy

• My girlfriend is an opera singer. It's her life. It's what she lives for. Sometimes after a performance, she will be devastated because she missed a part or pronounced something wrong. She's a perfectionist. What you have to do is just show your support. Show him that despite the loss, he still has people in his life that love him no matter what. Give him a big hug and try to calm him. His mind is going to be racing with, "I should have done this, we could have done that", type stuff. Show him the care and affection that he needs from his girlfriend. He is going to be grumpy and frustrated, but just let it go. Don't lash out at him. That will only cause more problems. Tell him not to worry about it, there will always be another opportunity for him/ his team to prove himself/themselves. Do what you can to get his focus away from the game. I hope that this helps!

GAG Video of the Day

GirlsAskGuys on the streets of Chicago!

What Guys Said 35

• IF he's a professional he understands no one wins them all. I doubt he'll need a lot of hand holding!

• You Blame the Referee's! lmao!

"What was that ref freakin' Blind?". . . "Did they find that ref on the streets right before the game?"

lol, that's just a joke but it's what I used to do, ha.

• you can say "is there anything I can do to make you "feel" better babe..." then wink and look down

lmao

• The best thing is to not say anything. I remember how I felt when I played football and we'd lose a game, and honestly there's nothing to say that wouldn't be overtly offensive (like "be a man; get over it") or patronizing, so just don't say anything and if he wants space, give him some.

• Tell him its just a game and even the best players of all sports have sh*tty days without a doubt...all of em pitchers, qbs...its human nature to have bad days. then gave him a soft kiss and tell him ull love him even if he's worest player ont he the teamm...then get busy him with...hahahahah

More from Guys
30

What Girls Said 16

• Try harder.

• You should be totally honest with him. If you tell him he did an amazing job, he knows your lying. you should tell him, that wasn't his best, but he tried. You should always support him, even when he's down. :)

• Commiserate and let him cool off for a bit. If you feel you need to say something, you could go with "Don't be too hard on yourself, you guys played well" or something like that. It's tough to come up with something that won't make him feel worse, so not saying much is probably better. Anyway, after I think a hug and/or kiss, plus maybe a nice dinner for the both of you, would help him relax. Good luck :)

• Just act really sad and be like "I'm sorry". Then leave him alone. Men need to brood. After he gets over it a bit he will come to you and say something or give you a hug or whatever and at that point just be super nice and offer him some food/sex/massage/etc.

The main thing is, you don't have to say much. Just be sure to be empathetic and don't try to cheer him up. Make sure to act really down, it will help him get over it faster because then he'll want to cheer you up haha.

• you're hot,make him feel wanted-it will feed his ego

More from Girls
11