Guys, would you date a woman 12 years older than you? Why or why not?

My boyfriend is 12 years younger than I am. We have been together over 2 years and are getting serious. He told me he needs to work on and get over his concern about what his friends and family will think of our age difference when we meet so we can build a life together.

Would you be able to do this? I appreciate your insight!

Most Helpful Guy

• Depends on if I was attracted to her, and if I had gotten to know her somewhat before it moved to dating. I wouldn't approach a woman ten years older than me with dating intentions, but I could easily see myself wanting to go out with a woman I had gotten to know who happened to be ten years older.

What Guys Said 23

• Are you tempted to spank him when he gets out of line?

If you're inclined to think that way, the age difference is too much. Otherwise, you're OK..From YOUR side.

But for him, it will ALWAYS be more difficult..his family and friends will be more 'on' him about that issue than yours will be, in most cases, and let's face it, he's so young, and not used to facing up to peer pressure as you probably are.

Will he be able to handle that pressure as your relationship gets more serious? I don't know him, of course, but the odds are quite high that he WILL NOT be able to handle it.

And let's be honest, you will soon start looking 'old' to him...

• No, I am not tempted to spank him.

I don't fixate on our age difference, and it makes me sad that he is worried about his friends and families' reaction to our relationship. My family has known about us for two years and are happy that we are happy together.

Why do you think I will start looking old to him?

• Naturally his family disapproves-unfortunately a profound double standard since they would never object if you were 12 years younger

• I wouldnt...Im happy for you though. Yet sad at the same time. You could stay on this train but its gonna crash in 15-20 years..

• Can you explain why you think it is going to crash? Thanks!

• Actually I take that back. I really don't have enough experience in age gap matters to be throwing comments like that around and I should not have spoken, sorry.

• I probably wouldn't personally, myself. But he clearly can and would and is doing so.

• Hell yeah. I've come across some hot goddam 30 something year olds.

• Been there, done that, but it was more of a FWB thing for both of us. If what his friends and family think of his dating choices means more to him than your feelings for each other he needs to grow up.

More from Guys
18

What Girls Said 2

• No because that would make her 30, that seems like way too big of an age gap for me. Whilst there are many older women who are great, I'd rather stick to someone within my own generation as we would relate much better.

• I'm 12 years older than my boyfriend of 8 years. We recently moved in together, and have been planning on having our 1st child soon before I turn 40 in a couple years. We are perfect and happy in each others company. We have both come to realize that our lives aren't as happy without each other. Age is not an issue at all, however it was in the first few years together. Once we passed that bridge, its not viewed in a negative manner.

• If any of my brothers did that, I'd be very skeptical and I wouldn't be comfortable with it at all. It would be awkward having them date someone who is the same age as our mother.

• I am really glad you answered! I've never had a "sister" perspective before. I'm not his mother's age...she is in her late 50's. Can you explain why you would be skeptical and uncomfortable? THANK YOU! :)

• Would your brother's happiness make a difference in your opinion? And would it help if he talked with you about the situation before the introduction? Thank you so much!

• Idk depends. I'd still think it was weird af