What is an acceptable age gap when dating?

Im 21 and a guy has presented himself as intrested in dating me. he's 31... Its a 10 year age gap, I first met this guy when I had my first job when I was sixteen at a grocery store. he's 31 sucessful owns his own farm, and works two other side jobs just to stay busy. He works with my mom and is always asking about me. My mom jokingly made the comment "if there wasn't such an age gap youd be perfect her!" which he responded with "you know 10 years is that big of a gap." What is your opinion on age gaps? How old is to old?
  • 5 years older is to old
  • Age is anything but a number

9384

Most Helpful Guy

• Age is relative.
    This is not to say it's just a number but ithas to be considered in relation to other elements:

*-he's 10 years older, that's 50% of your age. When you were learning to walk he was already looking at girls and geting boners from it.

*-You're a student, responsible for your studies towards your parents. You get an allowance, a few $100/month maybe. (if it's that much)

*-He has a job and outside that, he's only responsible towards himself. He has income ten times as much as your allowance.

*-Your freedom is limited by your parents, he's completely free to do as he likes, when he likes it.

*-You don't have much of a past, maybe a few boyfriends. He has half a life behind him, exes, maybe children somewhere.

That makes for a very slanted relationship, slanted in his favor.

• My personal age range would be MAXIMUM 15-20% difference younger or older. And those 20% would be stretching it.

• The fact that you think of a potential relationship as "slanted in his favor" says everything about your mindset and nothing about age gaps. The best relationships aren't adversarial. There is no "favor" or advantage to be attained. Good relationships are mutually supporting and beneficial, and the very petty concerns you bring up fade into meaninglessness. Clearly, you're a scorekeeper, and I can't imagine any relationship succeeding with that kind of approach.

• @Hikerdude

MY marriage is going very well, since long before day One! :-D

Most Helpful Girl

• I know a couple who are 60 and 70 years old. 10 years right there. You think that matters when you're 60/70? No.

Age matters less the older you get. When you're a teenager even 3 years can make a huge difference. But as you get older maturity differences between the ages get smaller and smaller.

The only problem I could see with 21/31 is him wanting to settle down and you still being all young and spry.

• I'm more than ready to settle down. I don't go out that much I'm more of a homebody as is he.

• Well if that isn't a problem then I see no reason for this to not work out.