Should I be with a guy who's too traditional and conservative?

Hello everyone! So, my boyfriend and I (I'm 23, he's 29, in a relationship for half a year) have very different views on some things. He is very traditional and conservative when it comes to relationships (housewife and breadwinner roles of a woman and a man). He won't feel like doing any house chors as it's not a mans job. He believes man are intelectually superior to women and can't stand feminists (I am not a feminist myself, but I am pro-equality). He wants to get married and have kids very soon, while I don't feel ready. But he believes he can change me into wanting that too. Does this look like an acceptable way to think to you? Also, he's being overly sweet and cheesy to me (he would say "I love you" and very cheesy lines at least 10 times a day). This is a turn-off for me and 1 time a day saying or showing the love would be enough for me. More is something that makes me feel nauses, like I've eaten too much sugar. We did discuss this, but again - he feels like he can change me into being more "expressive". Matter of the fact is, I am not sure now whether this relationship can work or no, because I don't feel attracted to him since he's too traditional per my taste. Things that I like about him is that he always pays attention, very carring, always is ready to talk and listen. He is a very sweet guy, but I can't help but see him being overly sweet and clingy. Also, I don't find him to be very confident either (another turn-off). Am I being too critical and should keep on having this relationship or there is no potential? Maybe someone has or had same or similar experience, I'd love to listen to your opinions!

4090

Most Helpful Guy

• " So, my boyfriend and I (I'm 23, he's 29, in a relationship for half a year) have very different views on some things. He is very traditional and conservative when it comes to relationships (housewife and breadwinner roles of a woman and a man). He won't feel like doing any house chors as it's not a mans job. He believes man are intelectually superior to women and can't stand feminists (I am not a feminist myself, but I am pro-equality). He wants to get married and have kids very soon, while I don't feel ready. But he believes he can change me into wanting that too. " <--- This. I would change this about him. Try to negotiate if possible on things. Convince him you want to be ready to work and do chores and he should do the same. Also, put some financial pressure on him for this kind of thing, kids, and other stuff. He sounds like maybe, he can change for the better. Why? "he always pays attention, very carring, always is ready to talk and listen. He is a very sweet guy" <--- This doesn't happen with every guy, even with the other conservative views. You need to find a way to negotiate with him that you need independence. I know plenty of conservative families in which the wife works too. The wife also knows how to shoot a gun and change a tire, even a bit about car engines and stuff. To be able to have all this AND be conservative IS possible. He is quite old school conservative and that won't work unless he ditches you and dates a golddigger and I'm sure he does NOT want that. You are NOT a golddigger as you seem to WANT independence for working and BOTH doing chores. There are issues in this relationship. Try to negotiate with him. If he won't, then sorry, it's more trouble to stay with him then to leave him. You could if needed, use the threat of leaving if needed as the nuclear option to get him to negotiate. If he is really "so sweet," he'll negotiate because he truly loves you. If not, the opposite.

• Thanks a lot for your insight and the advice!

Most Helpful Girl

• Dont settle just because you’re afraid you can’t find someone as caring or loving. If you really don’t think you can love him for all he is, don’t stay. You’re still very young. If you choose to settle with him, make sure you’re able to live with whatever he is for the next 40 years at least.

• I'm definitely not going to marry soon, he can't force or manipulate me into it of course. Going to talk to him more, and time will tell. Thanks for your advice!