Is the "I want to focus on my career" excuse a cowards way of avoiding a relationship or a valid excuse?

I've seen people saying here "i want to focus on my career" seemingly at the price of having a relationship. I think unless you work like 60 hours a week or work and study both fulltime like i do right now (and even then i was able to make time and room for a girlfriend) it's a bullshit excuse and there's a different reason why this person does not want a relationship. A simple "I'm not interested in a relationship (with you) (right now)" would do much better and displays even honesty.
what is up with this kind of excuse to reject someone? Am i missing something here or what?

in any case a rejection is a rejection and the reason matters little.

Money, money, money 💰 💵
  • it's a cowards way out
  • it's an actual And valid excuse
  • I'm not sure
    Vote C
My point is if you meet the right partner, then your job/studies won't have any impact on performance. That is provided the partner isn't crazy or insane or ruins your mood.
I'm not taking "valid" responses into account. I need an actual explanation why it would be a valid reason to reject someone.

69116

Most Helpful Girls

• My boyfriend for 5 years has b egun to try and get promoted. It means more money for us and him feeling better about himself. He takes seminars and reads books to get ahead. It's not just excuses he is really working hard for us. It takes a lot of time from me but I know he will make it and it will be the first step on more things. You need to support your guy.

• I call bullshit on anyone _ on gag _ saying they are too busy for a relationship 🙄

Anyhow relationships are what you make them. If it’s functional. Two busy people can make it worse or a busy person and a person who likes a lot of time to themselves, or it can be a temporary thing where there’s not much time.

Often times People are dating or married and their spouse would HELP them with their career. A good partner is an aid not a hindrance.

• I think people who say too busy have insecurities or they have a fucked up view if what a rejationship hs. If you think it’s like constant advertising and self promotion and secrets , then yeah you’re too busy for that kind of mental gymnastics.

• When a man says I'm busy, you let him go build his pride, you move on and trust life enough to meet up again later and see if you are still a match :)

• Thank you 🌹

Most Helpful Guys

• It's often completely legit.

Look, some people can be in a relationship and they're perfectly happy to see their SO for a couple of hours during the week and then spend a weekend day with them - but MOST relationships aren't like that. Most relationships demand a lot more time and attention, and come with a variety of expectations (family events, work events, rides when the car is in the shop, etc. etc.) and if you are already working/going to school/studying 50 or 60 hours a week, there's just not time for all that. Yet, if your partner needs those things, and you can't do them, they're going to resent you and the relationship will blow up - which only adds more drama.

Given that, it's completely reasonable to look at your situation and say "there's no way I can be fully committed to a relationship right now" and take yourself out of the dating pool. In fact, it's the responsible thing to do. And when your situation changes and things aren't so crazy, you can re-engage in dating/relationships again.

• Nicely said. Thanks for your input.

And i believe if 2 flexible and career oriented partners are dating then it can work. But like you said it's probably not that likely

• If a woman wants to get with a guy she'll break all the rules to do it.
    If she doesn't then she'll make up a new rule every day why she can't.

Watch what they do, not what they say.

And my fav...'She likes sex alright... just not with you.' ;)