6 Indonesian Extreme Culinary, Dare to Try?

Famous for its rich spices, Indonesia is a country that has a variety of cuisines. The flavor varies, depending on each region. Not only ordinary food, there are also some quirky and extreme foods. However, many people are still interested.

Do you like challenges? Try challenging yourself to try out some of these extreme culinary delights.

1. Earthworm Juice

Earthworm Juice
Earthworm Juice

Earthworms are believed to cure typhus. However, earthworms are also useful as appetite enhancing drugs. Want to try it?

2. Sago caterpillars

This food is known as a typical Kamoro tribe food. Sago caterpillars are believed to contain high vitamins and also function as strong drugs. Do you dare to eat it?

Sago caterpillars
Sago caterpillars

3. Baked Mice

Imagining just baked mice must have been horrified and amused, even though they didn't taste. However, in the Minahasa, baked mouse culinary is very popular. Take it easy! These mice are not captured from dirty places. These mice were caught in clean forests and far from trash.

Baked Mice
Baked Mice

4. Bat Meat

Animals that sleep during the day are also one of the extreme culinary in Indonesia. If you want to taste it, you can visit Tomohon Market, located in Manado, North Sulawesi.

Bat Meat
Bat Meat

5. Lizard Satay

This reptile is believed to cure itching of the skin. In order not to be too scary when consumed, monitor lizard meat is processed into satay with delicious peanut sauce. Dare to try?

Lizard Satay
Lizard Satay

6. Caterpillar fur

Hearing his name often makes goose bumps and itching. But, who would have thought, caterpillar feathers have become one of the extreme culinary and favorite places in several regions. You can find this menu in Purworejo, Central Java.

Caterpillar fur
Caterpillar fur

4750

Most Helpful Girls

• Honestly, it's not the eating part that turns me off of these food choices. I'm actually very curious about trying all of them! That being said, these animals are all incredibly adorable, and the guilt alone would stop me. Now, if I were near these food items with a friend, and they ordered on their own, then I would definitely try a nibble if offered. I would not feel guilty, because I did not pay for them to die.

• The Sago caterpillars is called Suri in my country and nope I wouldn't eat those.

However, # 3, 4 and 5 I would be ok trying that. Why?
    Guinea pig is eaten in my country and if I was able to eat that a couple times then I can eat the other rodents and certainly would have no problems trying fried lizards.

Most Helpful Guys

• Interesting MyTake! Next time my family serves me this:
    6 Indonesian Extreme Culinary, Dare to Try?6 Indonesian Extreme Culinary, Dare to Try?

Or this:

I would think of the Indonesian recipes and stop complaining! Plukkfisk, lutefisk and smalahove may look bad, but maybe not that bad after all. I'm Norwegian. (Smalahove taste like sheep, but the looks can deceive. Lutefisk and plukkfisk taste like sh! t)

We don't eat dogs or funny fish either like in some other countries. So we're more lucky than you think:

• I'd try them all. If you really want yo understand a culture... you want to immerse yourself in their cuisine... in thier relationship to food gathering and preparation. We 'westerners' are so inclined to dismiss these dishes as gross but some people live off of these food sources.

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 45

What Guys Said 48

• I’d try anything prob. I’m an idiot like that.

• I just struck Indonesia off my list of places to ever go. Thx!

• I think I’ll stick to eating my steaks and fried chicken. Although numbers 5 and 6 don’t sound too bad.

• Ya but I just rather have a fried chicken or something
    Lol or like a steak. Maybe some lamb

Why that? 😂

• this is only food for people who have love outside the boundary

• I’m sure it’s interestinf to try and eat if you live in an area where that’s their diet
      But I still don’t see how that’s more appetizing than a porc roast or something chicken

Even for the ones that eat it all the time

• Wow, some interesting dishes. I think I can't handle them, though.

Thanks for sharing.

• I'll stick to the crazy Arab cuisine I currently eat.

• if you are interested, please try foods that you have never tasted

• Yes I love to try different foods. Just not the ones listed

• OMG! Those are DISGUSTING! Especially the first one

• seeing it is scary, but people will change their mind after trying it :)

• No. Why is it anyone with a flat face literally will eat absurd things. Worms caterpillars etc are all in the insect like category things like these contains stuff 1000x worse than the bacteria in pigs (e. g e coli etc) there’s a reason it says in religion to only eat specific animals the bible says not to eat insects.

• PUKE! Keep it in Indonesia please. I'll take a nice thick juicy American steak with fried onions, a baked potato and a beer. They can keep their worms.

• The only arthropod I'm willing to eat is the shrimp, and even then, I'm not that big of a fan.

• We have all those ingredients available in America too.

There's nothing "cultural" about eating bugs, it just means you're too poor to afford to eat food.

• it's just another hype Asian sensation to kill some animals. caterpillar fur/feathers, bat meat (less than baked mouse)? please... it's probably because they are running out of shark fins

• Indonesia has never run out of food, we are an agrarian country and also surrounded by oceans rich in fish, so supplies are abundant

• that's so great! i'd love to spend some time there!

• I'm sure you won't be disappointed

• Ew, no. I'll stick to fast food and microwave meals.

• I have had kopi luwak. It is not my favorite, but I don't have a problem with it.

I have never seen any of those above in Jakarta. I would try bat and lizard. (I've had alligator, and it is fine)

• you can visit Tomohon Market, located in Manado, North Sulawesi

• Saya bisa bicera bahasa Indonesia sedikit sedikit.

• menakjubkan, saya kagum dengan kemampuan kamu :)

• I'm completely repelled by worms and caterpillars, but I've sampled rattlesnake, and would eat insects such as crickets, grasshoppers, and cicadas.

• I have my fishing pole ready. I could use a number of these to catch real food.

• Just when I thought Indian food couldn't get grosser.

• Not something I would normally eat but I would try it just to see what it taste like

• as ong as it tastes good it doesn't have to look good ;) :P

• Those are some big ass mice. They look tasty tho ngl.

• I won’t try that lol. I’m not picky, but I will be this time lol

• I've have BBQ goat and turtle soup - those are my limits.

• I swear I won’t visit Indonesia in my whole life span🤣

• Imagine what was going through my mind as a vegetarian when I saw this!!!

• thank god i'm an Israelite and i don't have to eat those.

• I've been to Indonesia, It really is a shithole country. If anybody wants details just ask.

• Indonesia has now changed.
      Indonesia has now changed, for example, according to the 2017 Travel and Leisure survey, the results say that Ubud is the representative of Indonesia which is among the top 10 of the world's best cities

• I've been there very recently, i disagree

• I am willing to show you the place where you will find a miracle :)

• No on all of them!

• Bugs are not food. End of discussion.

• I want a pet bat...

• I’d feel sorry for the mice. lol

• Show more from Guys
    18