Is Sushi overrated?

For the 1st time in my life I tried sushi and it was ok, I don't see what everyone is raving about, its quite popular here in Australia.

It was sushi from one of the fast food kinda places. it was a basic salmon roll.

what are your thoughts on the subject?
im well aware that sushi from a takeaway is different to restaurant sushi, nevertheless...

2935

Most Helpful Girl

• I normally don't tell people this story, but since you asked...

About a year ago, one of my friends took me out to a sushi restaurant so I could experience the delicacy of raw fish for the first time. The original cafe we intended to go to was closed for lunch, so we ended up going to a nicer place with red tablecloths, ambient lighting, and cloth napkins--probably very romantic for dinner, but mostly business meetings at lunchtime

Our first roll of fried lobster was delicious and my favorite course despite not being authentic, but likely my favorite because it was familiar to my taste buds. I ordered something with white fish and avocado all wrapped up in mild seaweed and it came with a side of ginger (which was my favorite part of the sushi). Honestly the textures and tastes were difficult to get past for the first couple of bites, but I thoroughly enjoyed my last two bites by the time I ate to them. For dessert, we ordered a plate of delicious green tea mochi. Decent food; decent service

After lunch we decided to go see a movie, so we got back in the car to drive to the theater closest to my apartment. All of a sudden I felt hot and felt those little fishy bites swimming back and forth inside me, so I cancelled our movie plans and told my friend to drive me back home instead. I barely made it to the sweet, loving confines of my bathroom in time for the horrible indigestion of my sushi to--um--you know...

Sushi tastes weird, but is good by the last bite; sushi doesn't digest well for everyone, especially not me. So my verdict is:

Sushi is overrated!!!

Most Helpful Guy

• It's not overrated in my opinion.
    Go to a real sushi restaurant with a Japanese chef. The difference is really inexpressibly big. It's like buying a frozen pizza vs. eating a fresh pizza in a real, authentic Italian trattoria.
    I have traveled to Japan with my best friend and we went to a really expensive, fancy sushi place where you sit at a bar and they serve you a total of 10 or 12 courses with all kinds of different sushis. It's an experience I will never forget. I have hardly ever eaten such delicious food.

Sushi is in a way quite similar to traditionally Italian pizza. The dish is very simple and there are only few ingredients. What makes it so amazing is the freshness of the products and how well they fit together and blend into each other.

Oh and don't drown your sushi in soy sauce. That's a mistake many beginners makes. It should also be dipped very lightly on one side :-).