So You Have Reached a Weight Loss Plateau...

If you are reading this, you might be like me or in the same predicament as I was in a few months ago: feeling like regardless of how much you train and run and gym you are stuck. As if the scale is laughing at you by letting your weight drop a few grams and then putting them back on a few days later.

You have reached a weight loss plateau!

I have been training for the past year and a half, I still have another year to go before my deadline so I am not there yet, but I have gotten much closer by changing everything I used to believe in about weight loss.

I used to be chubby but then I watched a few videos and got motivated to start working out. Did the standard; cut my calorie intake slightly and hoped that I can lose calories in a healthy, manageable way. Eat what you want but maintain weight loss. OK, that worked for the first 4-5 weeks. I managed to lose 5kg/11 pounds. However, the next few months, my weight loss plateaued at 61kg. I was angry, I did not want to give up and so I began working out MORE and MORE. Started doing cardio 2 times a week, weights another 2. My weight remained 61kg. I was annoyed, was I just not working hard enough? My gym buddy (who happened to be a guy btw) was doing the same reps and sets as me but he kept losing weight as if it was nothing. I was furious so decided to up my reps, increase time spent working out, took up jogging, cut my calorie intake down to 1800cal per day.

After 3 months my weight dropped 800g

Pathetic!

At this point I was already very strong, I beat my gym buddy in every workout but pull-ups but I still looked 'chubby'. Then I stumbled across this thread about weight loss for women with low heart rate (me) or metabolic rate. The thread stated that some people have bodies that a naturally adapted to surviving on minimal calorie intake and although this can be negated by increasing muscle mass, for that kind of woman to reap the advantages of increased BMR she would have to put on so much muscle that she'd look more like a man. It advised to instead slowly cut down calorie intake below that of what is recommended and not worry so much about exercise other than perhaps once a week or so.

I obviously did not believe that eating a little less could beat my strict regime of jogging and weight training but it has been a mere 2 months and I am down to 56kg!1!! only 3kg off my goal!

It has progressively gotten harder as I drop more weight but I continued tweaking my diet and adjusted my macros and now weight loss actually makes sense!

A few tips just to reiterate and add to what I said:

1. Diet for people like me and you is everything, I aim to consume no more than 1300 calories per day

2. As I progressed, making sure that I consume more fibre, protein and close to no sugar helped lots.

For example, before I'd have something like golden syrup cereal with full-fat milk and perhaps a latte, now I have a Weetabix with 5 blueberries, a few pumpkin seeds and an espresso, no sugar.

Instead of 1 battered chicken breast mixed with white rice and a few tomatoes, avocados, perhaps sauce, I am having 1 boiled egg, 2 tbsp of Quinoa and a full plate of kale, no sauces only pepper/ chillies.

Something along those lines.

3. No food after 7 pm

4. Don't over exercise. You will end up feeling hungry and exhausted, light exercise (20minute jog or an hour/two of walking) X2 a week will do.

And that is IT.

Point of this take is that not everyone can exercise the fat off them so easily, some of our bodies hold on to fat like it is a question of life or death and the only way of getting rid of it is scrutinising your diet.

Thank you for reading!

822

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 22

• 7d

When your weight lifting anyway, you should always mix up what you do. Instead of just adding weight and doing the same exercise, manipulate your body! Because the human body has a high IQ on muscle memory, therefore. If you don't confuse your body it will get what your Doing, or memorize what your doing and one would Platoe on what exercises your body needs! Doing the same thing each day of the week your body will figure it out. So trick your body, one week do back and bi's on Monday, the next week do back and bi's on not Tuesday because that's still to close to the Monday before. Do back and bi's on as late as Wednesday. Then do chest shoulders and Tri's the same! If you usually did those on Tuesday, change it next week to Thursday or Friday, and if you did legs and calfs on Wednesday. Switch that to Saturday! If you don't work out on the weekend, switch the legs to that following Monday! So you used to do back and bi's on Monday, now that's legs and calfs. Used to do chest shoulders and Tri's on Tuesday. That's on Thursday, or Friday now!
    You used to do legs and calfs on Wednesday. Saturday or Monday now, Rinse and repeat! In other words, switch your days up every week and trick your body. By the way, I didn't mention stomach area? Do that whenever you're doing cardio! You can do cardio everyday if you want to after each workout jump on the bike, treadmill, etc.. Do a 20 minute workout on cardio! Push it fairly hard on cardio because your only doing it for 20 minutes! If you only do 10 minutes of cardio, push it even harder, the less time. The more you push it, and vise versa. Okay. Well, I was going to say something else, but try what I suggested first! Deano

• 6d

I did not read that... Sorry... Space it out next time, please? Although I've been through one for a long time I just started taking some shit that lowers like your needs for sugary food and also boosts your metabolism I've already lost about 2kg the last 4 days.. Its most likely that my metabolism normally sucks ass so.

• 16h

Try adding green tea extract supplement. That's the only thing that worked for me. Also mix up your work out routine, stop cardio and focus on muscle mass build up then add cardio back into your routine. Check your diet too you might have to increase your calories rather than decrease.

• 7d

I did had a successful weight loss, to be more specific a fat loss, and without dieting whatsoever, and the end result was insane, i got lean as fuck, my veins are popping out, the only thing i did was running at fastest speed as long as possible until i am almost dead every single day for 3 months.

• 7d

I'd probably say that your metabolism may have crashed from being in a deficit for too long. Have you tried figuring out your maintenance calories and eating that amount for a couple of weeks then dropping into a deficit again?

• 2d

2x traning per week is bullshit. You can't reach ur weight loss plateau by traning 2x weekly xd

• 3d

There's no such thing as a weight loss plateau. It's called anorexia and you need to see a psychologist.

• 6d

Sounds like you're obsessing over this a bit too much.

• 2d

Its hard, I have to really work out to keep my figure slim. So I know what you mean.

• 6d

The hard part is not loosing the weight , it is keeping it off.. I like my food thankfully being a veggie, my diet is mostly fruit , and vegetables , plus veggie protein . But my big failing is my love for coffee or should say soya latta. plus a bun , a muffin , pan au chocola. Both at over 400cals , Which I had about 3 a day, so the possible of 1200cals that is half the amount for a day.
    I couldn't go without my treats so I cut them to just one. That was 2 weeks ago at moment I have lost 7lbs to get to a happy weight I need to loose another 21lbs then I will be happy …..

• 7d

Damn sis! You are very dedicated. Well done. I wish you good luck in your fitness efforts and goals.

• 4d

If the girl in photo gets any skinner she would be anorexic

• 7d

I can eat 3000 calories a day and still lose weight lol.

• 2d

If that's really you in the picture, nice.

• 4d

Oh that girl is sharp ouff

• 7d

LOL I don't wanna lose weight lol

• 3d

sexy girl

• 7d

Do you know Freeletics

• 7d

I plan to

• 7d

Ya it works like magic lost 10lb in a month !

• 6d

Ways to reduce weight !! Was nice reading this but I'm fit

• 7d

I think part of the reason is you gained muscle mass. It's common that once you start lifting weights for those that are trying to lose weight that they actually gain it at first but then you start losing weight after awhile because the muscle mass increase gets smaller and you continue to burn fat off

What Girls Said 8

• 5d

Yes

I'm stuck in a fat phase

I gained a lot of weight from being prego and it just won't come off!

I am doing a Keto diet but am dying for pasta

I respect and am a little jealous of you. But I am behind you for having the drive to be where you are now

• 7d

Good tips when you want to lose weight at all cost.. but you could actually look better at a heavier weight.

• 7d

Thanks.

• 7d

Good take

• 6d

That's really cool 😎

• 1d

Thanks for sharing!

• 4d

I've lost 10 lbs in eight days

• 7d

Legs and stomach my boobs are big to