Do you think this whole fat acceptance thing is ridiculous?

You should love your body, you should realize it doesn't have to perfect to be healthy and/Or attractive, but accepting, even praising obesity and unhealthy eating habits, being a drain on your countries medical funds, is just wrong, when it is completely preventable, I have the same stance with heavy smokers/drinkers

6|2

Most Helpful Girls

• It depends on how you see it or who you are referring to. Body positivity and acceptance is very important and society needs to stop being so intolerant and harsh towards overweight people. No matter how much people talk about health or medical bills and taxes we all know that deep down it's just your superficial privileged ass.

I don't support promoting obesity and unhealthy eating, I try to encourage my overweight friends and family members to eat healthier and choose their favorite physical activity to bang on. But I know that things are not very simple for everyone and we never know what other people are going through.

Conclusion:
    I don't support fat shaming or any body shaming.
    I don't support unhealthy lifestyle either whether it's literally eating and physical activity or just mental state.
    But I do urge people to be more compassionate and less harsh and intolerant.

Being fat doesn't mean you just sit in and cry, no. Every human being is still valuable, they matter and they have the full right to enjoy their lives.

1|1
    0|0
    • 7d

I agree with most of what you said however, you need to realise how big an effect it has on our healthcare system, in my local hospital we have had to pay millions for mobile Cath labs, because of the growing number of people having heart problems, to say most of these are congenital issues is false, the majority of them are preventable, about 3 months ago a man had to taken to a hospital 2 hrs away with heart problems and died in transit, only because we do not have the facilities to accommodate the growing numbers, I would much rather see this money, go towards other areas of health that are underfunded, such as mental health and palliative care, or more funding for the radiology department

• Show All
    • 7d

The bottmline is I hate smokers, especially when they are rude enough to smoke infront of infants, pregnant ladies, at non smoking area zone -- knowing well she shouldn't. I have zero tolerance for such ignorance. People may have asthma, second hand smokers experience severe health issues. I wish they just inhale the smoke and keep it in their lungs.

• 7d

Well apparently you don't get out much.

• I've been large - I'm just going to say 'It was my body then, my business, it's my body now, my business'. If people aren't happy it's their problem. I don't live my life for other people, if I make changes to it I won't do it for other people either (I have in the past). Except me or walk away. To many people think that they are entitled to tell others how to live one way or another. Wrong, (Unless it's your profession (Doctor etc).

0|3
    2|1
    • If I don't like something 'In my space' I can walk away or deal with it if I need too... so it works both ways. Because I'll be honest there's a lot of things I don't like lol, that's life. in my opinion maturity shows in the way you handle it.

• Show All
    • @Ice_Wallow_Come I'm not encouraging it, just minding my own business... If people are overweight and unhappy and you start nagging and being negative, they're more likely to turn to their comfort, and if people are walking, getting out making slow changes and you point out they're fat make them feel bad for existing, they might give up trying, so there's that way to look at it too. I tend to look at things very differently, I tend not to worry about how you live, but live to the fullest that you can, because the carpet can be pulled from under your feet no matter what you do or don't do... I know this for fact, I nearly died, and I live with a level of disability that means that life is not easy, but I intend to live it.

• @Ice_Wallow_Come... trust me I'm more of an expense in order to stay alive than most, I will never walk again for one... and I stand a chance of dying still, a real chance, however like I said life is for living, I'd rather say I watched a sunrise with my son, than say I worry about a celebrity couple or splatter up an opinion regarding someones weight, (Either way). None of those two will change anything, or leave a happy memory for anyone. little over 10 years older than you I was dying through no fault of mine. Things change.

Most Helpful Guys

• Let the body positivity flourish and we will have all these body positivity fatty activists dead in the next 30 years or so and we no longer need to discuss something so obvious. Naturally i think it is ridiculous and needs to stopped. So many stupid things trending these days

Flat earthers

Anti vaxxers

Body positivity stuff

Vegan/gluten/god knows what free diets

It almost feels like we are heading backwards in evolution.

0|2
    0|1
    • You might be onto something there lol personally I'm an advocate of a vegan diet, but everything else you mentioned yeah we are going backwards

• We ARE heading backwards

• At least flat earthers are funny to ridicule. These obese greasebags cost us money.

• The fat movement needs to be stopped, they are encouraging unhealthy lives. Yes, it is your life but if you decide to encourage others to be fat then that is wrong.

If I decide to smoke cigarettes, then start a pro smoking movement, I'm pretty sure you will find that as wrong. That is exactly what the fat movement is doing, promoting unhealthy lives.

1|2
    0|1

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• We have to learn how to separate the person from the behavior. We love the person. But we can still dislike the fact that they overeat, or abuse people, or rob banks, or commit sodomy, or drive drunk, or murder others.

0|0
    0|0
  • I had a friend who weighed over 260 pounds. I didn't care at all. I thought she was a pleasant person to be around. Then I discovered she was using her parents minimum wage pay cheque to buy concert tickets to see drake and ate at Taco Bell and Burger Bars when her doctor said she is on the verge of becoming diabetic from obesity. I no longer talk to her. She is a selfish glutton.

1|4
    0|0
  • Yes. Being fat is bad, period. It's bad to mock them and they deserve respect, but this whole thing about "it's your body, love it" it's just wrong. I wonder if someone really loves diabetes and clogged arteries.

3|6
    0|0
  • If they are genuinely healthy and happy, feel good I don't see why anyone should tell them to change. there are lots of people who find them attractive and sexy, it you are not one of them there are plenty of slim people you could choose from

0|1
    2|0
    • 7d

I think you've missed the point, this is not about what I or anyone finds attractive

• 7d

I think you are the one who missed the point. I said if they're healthy happy and feel good. read again. I added attraction at the end because most people who do the fat shaming are the ones who think fat is unattractive.

• 7d

Again you've missed the point

• I don't think it's ridiculous. I think that part of the reason it's important to be accepting is so that people who are fatter don't have to always feel ashamed or looked down upon in day-to-day life. I'm sure some people who deal with this might be interested in loosing some weight especially if they notice that it's causing health problems but if there's an expectation in society put on them to always be working to get down to an ideal size then that creates an unhealthy mental state for anyone to be in. So accepting people at their current size/weight is important for society so that people understand that everyone has their own journey and struggles in life and important for the individual dealing with it so they can go through life feeling more confident in general and what they look like isn't going to hold them back from doing what they would like. They should still be able to feel beautiful, confident, and in control of their life (regardless of gender) and being judged can get in the way of that.

Plus, soft curves and chubby women are fun and sexy to hold and cuddle. ^_^

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes it's dangerous, people should not be encouraged to stay this way the dangers of obesity are huge. I understand not screaming at fat people in the street but if they're your friend/family you should encourage them to lose the weight and it should NOT be promoted.

2|4
    0|0
  • It’s their lives but They don’t have to complain because they don’t receive some privileges. Ashley Graham is an a oversized model and she is made because Victoria’s Secret rejected her. I will find that unfair that she would be on the same runway as Candice swanepoel and Miranda Kerr while these girls truly work a way harder than her, to achieve a dreamy body but she have to be praised because of fat acceptance

1|3
    0|1
  • Being fat is none of my business... It's not my body nor my place to make people feel bad... When obesity starts affecting their health and quality of life I'll encourage them to get healthier.. In response that usually makes them lose weight anyway.🤷‍♀️

3|1
    0|0
  • Yes, it's ridiculous. Being overweight is unhealthy, and fundamentally unnatural. We're not meant as humans to be fat. And not wishing for society to be coerced into celebrating obesity, is not the same as condoning bullying overweight people. An erroneous conclusion many people strangely makes.

2|1
    0|1
  • How do you love your body when you are eating all unhealthy and getting fat over limits?
    Its worse!

3|2
    0|0
    • Yeah, it's quite dangerous and it should not be praised in our society, people should be encouraged to live healthily, it's not fair on the tax payers, those who use public transport, people working in the healthcare, where it is already extremely understaffed and worst of all children

• are they affecting you in anyway, shape, or form? are you paying for their food, or anything else? are you contributing to their lifestyle? if no, then it is not your business.

0|1
    0|0
    • 7d

The movement is affecting society which I am a part of, so yes, I guess it is my business

• 7d

what movement? a bowel movement? your 18-24, how is it affecting you PERSONALLY? Do these people come into your house and say "Feed me" do you see them on the street and say "feed me"...

• 7d

Honestly are you a troll? If not I'll explain it to you

• I love fat acceptance. I hope everyone believes that being fat has nothing to do with health and health comes in all shapes and sizes. Only then we'll be able to see normal people again after 30 years minimum.

0|1
    0|1
    • People who are obese now will be lucky to live another 30 years if they don't change

• I don't think they will! That's why I said that after 30 years it will be a new dawn. The dawn of humans as they are supposed to be! Again.

• Oh I get you, yeah haha

• You know, it's really all just about showing respect.

2|1
    2|3
  • im not sure about ridiculous? you shouldn't ridicule people based on things they struggle with. but yeah its not healthy

0|1
    1|0
    • 7d

I'm taking about promoting unhealthy eating habits not ridiculing people

• How can you love your body but not take care of it? Do women not know that a heart attack is the #1 cause of death in women? All that weight puts them at risk for an early departure. But some seem to like being heavy. On the TV Show Botched there was a girl who's ass was so big she could sell shade in the desert. She had been over eating to get fat reserves which was lipo-suctioned out and injected into her already huge ass. She likes standing on street corners shaking her ass. Like What? Mean while everyone was looking on with disgust wondering if this person was in her right mind. So yes, some people have medical conditions, or even disabilities which keeps them from getting exercise but I don't see the celebration at being obese. There is always weight loss surgery if someone wants to lose weight bad enough.

0|4
    0|0
  • I don't believe individuals, who are husky and overweight, should be bullied, but if someone is fat and overweight for unhealthy reasons then I'm not supportive of that

1|3
    0|0
  • yes. we shouldn't accepting for being fat. yeah you are a human being and your live is worth as much as every other human beings life and taking this personal is idiotic but if you're fat, you're unhealthy. you're harming your body and you should probably do your best to stop doing that.

0|1
    0|0
  • I am fat by BMI medical terms whatever even considered obese and I f. hate how body positive unhealthy stuff is. Like yeah sure IRS okay to love yourself but dont try to embellish obesitity as beauty and okay. Its unhealthy af, and needs to calm the f down.

0|1
    0|0
  • It's a good thing, but like everything some people take it too far.

3|4
    0|0
  • I understand that fetishes do exist, so that may be valid… but encouraging self-ruinous behavior, lifestyles, mindsets, etc. is ultimately detrimental, both to the individual human-life affected & to society.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's stupid, fat acceptance is unhealthy because you're obviously more likely to die earlier when you're overweight. I think everyone should strive to be the best versions of themselves instead.

0|3
    0|0
  • yes

I accept obesity as their choice, but forcing people into the mindset that being fat is beautiful and very obese people are in the same way attractive than normal ones, is similar offensive than fat shaming and bullying of obese people.

0|1
    0|0
  • I do think a person is much more than his/her weight, and that we should focus on more important things. However, to praise and say only your way is good (like being fat, or being skinny, or being homosexual, or being heterosexual) is what it is wrong.

0|1
    0|0
  • Very much so.
    Fat acceptance should be about accepting that you have a problem and working to get healthier. I mean, it's their body and they can do whatever they want but praising and glorifying obesity should not be tolerated.

1|0
    0|0
  • I was never one to encourage people to lose or gain weight, but to flaunt something that could potentially kill you (like they do within the fat acceptance movement) is super cringey and is one of many trends that loses my faith in society

0|1
    0|0
  • I think there is a big difference between respecting someone as a fellow human being, and accepting obesity... You can be kind and polite and respectful to everyone, and should, but just because someone has basic decency doesn't mean they're encouraging an unhealthy weight. I think people think too much in black and white. Life doesn't work that way. Just don't be an asshole... What other people do with their lives is their business.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's not just ridiculous, it's malevolent. It's manipulaton of the disadvantaged whether they suffer from obesity, homosexuality or some other ill. These people will tell them exactly what they want to hear in an attempt to fill them with rage and hate for society for all the hurt they have suffered. Never mind that they have also done everything they can to block any real medical research that could have helped them.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't see it as "Fat Acceptance". I see it as "Promoting obesity". They are saying that it's good to be fat and ugly and unhealthy. Just another stupid movement created by feminists.

0|0
    0|0
  • The pic that’s on here is of tess munster. She claims to be a “curvy model”. I don’t support that at all. I do support people choosing to be fat and accepting the risks, just don’t preach about it.

0|2
    0|0
  • I dont understand how anyone can love themselves and be fat. Or love their bodies and be 300 pounds.

2|5
    2|1
  • I'm fat but I don't love myself or act like I'm proud of myself. I always try to hide myself away from the world and look for ways to die sometimes. I don't defend the ridiculous idea of accepting your big fat unhealthy and ugly body. I wish I wasn't fat. My life is ruined because of it. I can't have a boyfriend, my mental health is broken. But then it's not a choice, at some point something happens in your life and body gets out of control. My hormonal imbalances and severe depression triggered my weight gain from the start. I could've had a great body, cause my body naturally has a great shape. But it's all gone to shit. I try to exercise and diet but it's so difficult because I have no motivation or will. It's a disgusting cycle of self-destruction... Even if I did lose all the weight there's things that can't be fixed, like excess/saggy skin and stretch marks and all that. pfff..

0|0
    1|1
    • 7d

I understand the loss of will and motivation with depression, even getting out of bed can be incredibly difficult, I've struggled with mental health problems myself, i got therapy and the first thing recomended to me was exercise, which in turn helped my sleep, which helped my mood, which helped my eating habits, it may not work for you, but if you want some help with dieting, or anything like that, I'd be more than happy to help

• Show All
    • 7d

@EclipseoftheHeart that means a disgusting scar and loss of sensation around your most intimate parts.. that's like losing a body part it's tragic really.

• 7d

Well and what do you have if you are incapacitated by diabetes or a heart attack?

• It shouldn't be about the fat/thin thing. It should be about being who you are and not trying to be something else. Could you picture this woman being a size 0 model? No?
    Could you picture her killing herself to fit that unrealistic objective?
    She wouldn't have been the first.

0|0
    0|0
  • Everyone gets a participation ribbon and there are no first, second, or third place ribbons because we don't want to hurt anyone's feelings!

1|0
    0|0
  • My take on it, is that it is great to accept yourself, for who you are, but to accept yourself, only to spite the opposite sex, in making the presumption that ALL guys are turned off by overweight women, then that's where it gets ridiculous... Seriously.

0|1
    0|0
  • Obesity is an unattractive and unhealthy lifestyle. It should not be encouraged, in any way. Promoting fat acceptance is promoting disease, early death, and laziness.

1|1
    0|0
  • I think it should be criminal actually. We dont allow people to publicly encourage violence, so we shouldn't allow them to publicly encourage a slow suicide either.

0|1
    0|1
  • Oh yes! I absolutely HATE fat people, especially fat women. They have no self-discipline or self-respect. They just eat junk food and sit on that ever expanding ass in front of TV, internet, video games, etc.

Plus, many of these adipose wildebeests have grown to have quite an malicious attitude problem. They're obviously people with lots of problems and they binge eat and watch entertainment to make themselves feel better.

How about lay off the fast food and get your ass in the gym?

0|0
    1|0
  • Yes, i find it kinda wrong. Tbh, i think this "fat acceptence" can become an excuse for some people to stay obese and don't rake care of your body. It should be used as an encouragement to create the best version of yourself; not to limit your happiness.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't accept or encourage obesity and unhealthy habits, but I'm not going to be an asshole about it to them either. What I would do instead is gently encourage them to lose weight.

0|0
    0|0
  • How many more times, It is not fat acceptance.. it is allowing someone feel ok with themselves. Fat shaming actually causes more harm than good. Depression through bullying causes more issues.. in short fat shaming is bullying. What are you teaching the kids?

0|0
    0|0
  • There are bound to be different perspectives on the matter. In addition, there will be extenuating circumstances affecting a person's health and ability to care for themselves in specific situations. That said, this notion of "Body Acceptance" is often used to justify laziness and a lack of effort in making responsible lifestyle choices.

0|0
    0|0
  • If you love your body, you should treat it right. The whole body positivity thing is praising something that is unhealthy. I'm not saying that people should be fat-shaming either. It's ridiculous that people think it's okay to be unhealthy. Improving your body is helping you more than anyone else, and it's saving you from an early death.

0|0
    0|0
  • Absolutely ridiculous. Being that fat is also unhealthy. You're fat and u like it, ok... But don't talk about it like it is a good thing.

0|2
    0|0
  • I agree that those who are overweight by BMI definition should try to lose those excess weight.

But the whole so-called fat movement is not about fat acceptance or encouraging people to get fat I believe. It is rather to fight fat shaming, to improve their mental health and help to build their self esteem.

I need to stress that it does not mean they should stay overweight. We are all work-in-progress, so are our bodies. These "obese" people should be allowed to feel confortable with their current body and at the same time encouraged to lead a healthier lifestyle by eating heathy and exercising. Don't shame them, praise them when you notice they are making some improvement with their weight loss.

2|1
    0|0
    • 7d

That's body positivity NOT fact acceptance. Fat acceptance is forcing VS to include fat models in the guise of plus-size. People don't have a problem with body positivity like you said but fat acceptance.

• Show All
    • 7d

@Oram52 Ashley is overweight, not even normal.

• 7d

Body positivity as you mentioned in your answer. Fat acceptance is wanting obesity to be normal integral part of society that we should accept it as norm, and others should be "inclusive" of them regardless. Good example being wanting to include overweight models in the guise of "plus-size".

• Im tall and thin and like fat chicks... a female friend is short and thin but likes her guy chubby...

Nobody should mind things which are not their business...

2|0
    0|0
  • No it's not ridiculous. Some people have thyroid issues or the hypothalamus could be damaged. Men especially white men are very quick to judge without educating themselves on other possibilities.

0|0
    1|5
  • There's a difference between not bullying people, which I am 100% for - and telling them being fat is healthy, which is utterly false. Being overweight or obese significantly increases risk of disease and early death.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes, obeasity shouldn't be praised or encouraged. What was originally praised and encouraged was thick body types, not fat

2|1
    0|0
  • Yesss! Like wtf there’s a difference between being fat and morbidly obese to the point where your fat starts to grow in a deformed way.
    I’m sorry but those arms looked deformed.
    Even if the looks factor is removed, I’m certain nobody that big can walk up a hill or walk a flight of stairs without getting out of breath, and that to me means they’re unhealthy - which should not be prompted. The same way anorexic models shouldn’t be promoted.
    It’s crazy how the media always go for the extreme; the model is either anorexic or morbidly obese, nothing in between.

2|0
    0|0
  • people can do what they want, just don't try to force your choice down ppl's throats.

0|1
    0|0
Show More

Recommended myTakes