To the People That Dislike Dogs...

To the people that dislike dogs

Hi there. So you dislike dogs. Or you like them and clicked on this out of curiosity (either way you were curious, I suppose).

So let me tell you this.

People tell me all the time, why do I like dogs, why do I own one, they smell bad, they leave hairs behind, they cost money.. and whatnot. But they don’t take in mind what a dog really is like. They see practical issues or things they could not live with. I, however, don’t mind vaccuming twice instead of once a week, or walking them three times daily, or not being able to go many places without my pooch because she has separation anxiety.

You know why? Because I would not be here without my dog. I would have taken my own life by now. I had my first depressive period at age nine. I was excluded from my peers whom told me I was weird, I was a boy and whatnot. I felt truly alone. I couldn’t really seek refuge at home either, because my sister four years my senior was a problematic child and there were a lot of fights and arguments. So I did what any sane 9 year old would do. I played with my dog, cuddled with them, walked them, went on my own adventures in the forest. My dog was my safe space.

She still is.

When I cry, she finds me. When I am tired, she sleeps besides me. When I need to leave the house, she comes. My dog is at least 25% of my life, and that is only because I am not the only one taking care of her. Still, my dog is like my child. I feed her, teach her, clothe her when it’s cold... (she’s 14, yes she gets a sweater when it’s minus 10 celsius out) and in return I get unconditional love from a creature that knows so damn well what I need when I need it. Humans are rarely so instinctive.

My other dog recently passed away. When the day came on which we decided to put her down, I weeped. (Hell, I’m kind of crying while writing this). I had a complete meltdown. I sobbed unconditionally, had a panic attack, made my skin burn from all the crying. And still, there was this sweet little being slowly wagging her tail and walking uo to me with the little strength she had in her so that I would stop being sad. She didn’t understand why I was crying. She didn’t have to. She just wanted my sadness to fade. That was all that mattered to her, even though she was dying.

So yeah, I’ll take the fur on my black clothes, the nail prints on my wooden floor, the smelliness if i haven’t washed her and the eventual mental breakdown when you have to let them go over not having a dog. Anytime. Any day.

4143

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 43

• I do think its important to work to resolve things with the humans too, and to communicate honestly with them.

But otherwise, I really get the magic that you're talking about. Dogs are naturally charismatic, and charmingly direct and instinctual. They always make me feel better - even if theyre not my own, theyre just some sort of source of happiness.

An intellectual said that a dog is very healthy to grow up with, as they can teach a child about life. I agree, but I also think they give you such lasting memories of that part of your life.

I can't speak highly enough about dogs and their abilities, also their ability to calm, to comfort and to cheer up. Im a very tough bastard, but I'll go into child mode with my woofers! They are a masculine, intelligent persons perfect companion. Through all their hilarity and basic obsessions, the wisest philosopher can't fault their way of life - they really know what life is about.

And although maybe it seems a little unfair, generally Im pretty sure that most people who dont like dogs are sociopaths. Or cat people, but thats for another time XD

• I don't have the patience to take care of a high-maintenance pet like a dog. That's why I like fish and birds better as pets.

But when I go to someone's home that does have a dog, I understand how awesome they are for those willing to dedicate to take care of one. :)

• I have a bird as well! I actually find pets like birds and fish high maintenance, funny.

• Preference is ok, such as being more of a cat person, but if someone actually dislikes dogs there's something wrong with them.

• I prefer cats for the reason being that a dog is more of a nuisance than a pleasure.

I don't hate dogs but they do generally stink bad and lose the most hair. Dogs do have really dirty mouths which people allow to lick them.

• I’ve only met two dogs in my whole life that smelled bad (other than their mouth). People that come over are always so surprised if they see a dog, you cannot smell them here because we vaccuum twice a week, give the dog a bath twice a month and more if she’s dirty. Shedding is different with each breed. Curly haired breeds don’t shed at all. I find it disgusting when dogs lick people’s faces, hands are okay because you can wash them easily.

And, do you allow your car to lick you? Cats shed hella much, unless you have a sphynx or rex cat.

• That’s virtually impossible because every dog smells different. Might just be the country though, and obvs the breed.

• Touchy eh?

• I was really hoping this would say "To the people that dislike dogs... FUCK YOU"

• I'm just going to say this. I'm a guy who owns cats. That's because I'm extremely impressed with an animal that will take a shit in the same place every time. just like a cat, sometimes I feel pretty lazy and I am so glad that I don't have to take the cat out for a walk.

That being said The fact that I own cats does not mean that I do not like dogs. I think they're great. And I love to visit people who have dogs. Provided it's not one of those dogs that immediately tries to Rack me and I go down in a fetal position because my balls are going to be swollen for the next 4 days.
    But I do like the dogs enough that for those particular ones that really want to make sure I do not have any children oh, I think I would actually be willing to wear a cup. That's right back up to protect my junk. If that ain't proof that I don't think dogs are pretty cool I don't know what is. it's just too bad they can't take a shit in the same place every time. :-)

• You can teach them that though.

• I like dogs. wouldn't own one again until I'm old and have time to take care of one. My last dog was kinda forced on me by my mum who when I was living with her insisted on keeping the dog but never bothered to take care of him herself. All she would do was feed him. So I was forced to come home on my breaks to walk him and cancel social engagements etc for the same reason. While she would go out with her friends at the same time. Unfortunately I'm too nice, actually cared about him (I wasn't just keeping him around because he was an affectionate animal) and I also didn't fancy being fined for neglect. But at least a bad experience of owning one hasn't put me off the idea entirely.

• Dogs are the best in the world they're so innocent man's best friend for sure

• A cat can sense your mood and comfort you too. Some cats even defend their owners from physical attackers.

• I prefer my kitty cat. He's a wittle cutie.

• That’s cool, cats can be awesome don’t get me wrong, but people that dislike dogs...

• I had a 50/50 Siberian Husky timber wolf mix. Once he understood me to be the Alpha, he would have died to protect me.

• You do know the dominance theory is bullshit right

• There is no such thing as a 'dominance theory'. There is a 'dominance FACT'. All groups have leaders, that's a FACT. It's the most dominant member who's the leader. I have 2 wolfdogs and they display submissive traits to me, however with other people or dogs it's a completely different story.

• It's like my Mom used to say; 'If my dog doesn't like you, I don't like you'

• I think people who grew up with dogs have a different perspective. To me, they were part of the family.

• I live dogs, as long as they're not in my house

• I love Animals in general... and to be honest... in most cases more than humans.

• I like cats, and I definitely would not keep a dog Inside a house, because they are ruining furniture and barking loud. That is my opinion.
    People say: Dogs are for those who want to be loved, while cats are for those who want to love.

• i don't like dogs! i have hated them since i got attacked by a few in childhood, they are vicious and animals.
    but if i see one getting electrocuted or stuck in a hole! or injured! i definitely stepping up to save it taking it to vet,
    because i am not a dog.

• This is what you hear all the time, i got attacked so i don’t like them. Have you ever been hit by someone? Did you stop liking the human race?

• People ruin dogs, that's the truth.

• I stopped liking the human race a loooooooonng time ago. And it wasn't from getting hit

• My cat is the same thing for me, except it doesn't destroy my lawn and furniture, doesn't eat every non-food item imaginable, doesn't bark all the time and it can't kill me one day when something switches off in its brain.

I get why people like dogs, I simply think they are dangerous, costly and too high maintenance for what they are worth.

• No, cats just eat you if you die in your home.

• Okay whoa. Listen to someone who knows a lot about dogs.

Not all dogs are destructive, eat inedible things, or bark incessantly. All of those are behavior issues that can be trained out of.

And absolutely NO DOG ever just "switches" and attacks its human. That's ridiculous. There's always a reason and there's almost always warning signs. If you're a halfway competent dog owner and pay attention to your dog's signals, your dog will never bite.

I've had my rescue for 2 years and she's done none of the things you've suggested. She's sweet, well behaved, and very attached to me. I would trust her alone with children, infants, puppies, kittens, etc. The only thing I would not trust her alone with is a squirrel. 😂

I wouldn't bash cats either both. Both are lovely pets.

• 7d

@snowangle and dogs bite people, and kill. and don't say it doesn't happen often, since cats eating owners don't either.

• (AGREED 100%) CAREFUL, THO', THAT SEPERATION ANXIETY MAY NOT JUST BE YOUR PET'S. I'VE HAD SIMILAR EXPERIENCES WITH A FAMILY DOG WHEN I WAS 9 ALSO. THAT I@ THE MOST HORRIBLE, AWFULESS FEELING THERE IS HAVING TO END A LIFE. MANY PEOPLE I NOTICE, SINCE THAT WAS THE ORIGINAL QUESTION, HAVE EITHER A BAD EXPERIENCE WITH PETS OR THEY WERE TRAINED THAT WAY TO BE AFRAID OF DOGS. OOOOH! BE AFRAID BE VERY AFRAID. SORRY, MY THOUGHTS DIVERTED TO A MOVIE OR SOMETHING. UMM! YEAH! IT IS TOTALLY THERE PROBLEM, MORE SO, I AM SURE THEY LACK COMMUNICATING AS WELL. I don't know, YOU ARE QUITE RIGHT TO AVOID THEM AS WELL. YEP, I KNOW, WHY SHOULD YOU AVOUD THEM... AND NEVER THE TWAIN SHALL MEET. smile, joking GIVE YOU PUP A COOKIE FOR ME.

• i dislike dogs. they're pathetic. cats are superior.

so you don't like others' opinions, and are offended by the fact they hold different tastes to you? lol.

• I bet you also like wearing Birkenstocks with tie-dyed socks.

• But you seem pretty annoyed others don't like dogs. Weirdo.

• @HungLikeAHorsefly OK so I cannot say I don't like dogs... perchance why? Do you have a condition prohibiting you?

• More from Guys
    23

What Girls Said 41

• I love how you're seriously discrediting people's fear of dogs in your comments. Like you love dogs, cool. A lot of people do. But a lot of people don't. For different reasons. Fear of them being one of them. And that fear is a very real thing. I'll be damned if you or anyone else tries to downplay that shit. That's the shit I hate about some dog lovers.

• 7d

@Schrodingerscat I agree but I could care less what people love. If you go on youtube there even people who wants rat owners to be dead for liking rats OP could be trolling but she doesn't sound like she is. But she does sound childish.

• 7d

@Schrodingerscat I wrote a Take a while back too about my fear of dogs. People can't seem to comprehend that we all don't have to like the same things lol.

• Good Take! 👍

I love dogs. Especially mine 💗

• This was an amazing take. I'm glad you had a beautiful creature to help you through the roughest times of your life. They are the most uplifting understanding creatures and not enough people realize that. It's the best thing we have in this fucked up world!.
    I love dogs with all my heart and soul. I trust them more then human beings because it was my dog moose and other dogs that helped me survive madness, lonesome, and major dissapointments. He always made me feel loved, and he always reminded me that I do have a good heart because of the love I have for them. I think about him every single day of my life. It still hurts that someone would steal away the one thing that meant more to me then anything in this life given. My dog. The best 8 years of my life with him. Dogs bring nothing but kindness, understanding and love. Funny because I normally don't trust a person who says I hate dogs. XD

• Totally agree. I've battled depression on and off for years, and earlier this year I was experiencing frequent suicidal thoughts. There were times that the only reason I stayed alive was my dog. Not that I'm not loved by humans also; my dog just shows her love in a more obvious way than people tend to. She follows me around like a shadow, sleeps in bed with me every night, and looks at me like I am every good thing in the world. A couple weeks ago, I had an absolute meltdown and I started sobbing on the floor, and my dog immediately licked my face and didn't stop until I stopped. She knew exactly what I needed. It was like she was saying "it's okay, my human! I still think you are wonderful, please don't be sad!"

People who think dogs aren't family have never really owned a dog.

• People who hates kind dogs are typically sociopaths in my opinion. But i do believe much like with kids you need to teach a dog well. That includes leaving for a bit of time and returning. You could call this kindergarten for human children. By coming back you enforce that this will happen the next time you leave.

My fav thought is there are no bad dogs just bad dog owners

• Agreed. My dog used to be fine but since the passing of our other dog she canmt be alone or she’ll cry.

• Dogs are my favorite things, I love dogs more than I love most people. They're always so happy and they're fluffy and sweet. I love it when you're walking and a dog walks past you and they look into your eyes and look so happy like they wanna play, but then it's sad when the person walking them just keeps walking. I can't have a dog though because mom doesn't want one and my dog would get really fat which wouldn't be good. I'm so bad at saying no anyway but when a dog looks at me with those big eyes and looks so sad because I'm not feeding him, I can't help it. Like I had a chinchilla that died because he got too fat, but he looked so cute and happy when he ate and he always wanted treats, I couldn't help it, I felt bad saying no. Anyway, my point is, I love dogs and people who don't are crazy

• i don't understand anyone who hates dogs or animals in general. they're innocent and loyal. i couldn't date someone who disliked animals cause i feel the way they feel about animals is the way they are as a person. if they dislike innocent animals imagine how they would be with innocent babies.

• We have two Jack Russells and we love them to death. They are such good companions and have great personalities too. I couldn't live without them. Returning home from work and there they both are, wagging their stumpy tails, bright-eyed and all excited to see you. I love it ❤️💯

• I don't like domesticating any species.

I would want them to be free, wild, do whatever they wish to do. Civilisation stops them from doing that. Heck neutering is a option for many pet owners.

Also I prefer cats as they are introverted and like doing their own thing. Whereas, dogs like constant company or they feel lonely.

• The reason I don't like dogs or other dogs owners is because idiots are owning dogs they can't control and their dogs attack my dog or try to attack him. I'm sick and tired of me and my dog walking minding our own business and out of nowhere a dog wants to fight my dog. It's annoying and after my dog died I'm not planning to get another dog. Also, I'm tired of dog owners talking shit about other animal owners. You people are not any better so quick with "my animal is the best in the world". It's an animal get over yourself.

• 7d

I dont see many reasons to dislike dogs. However I hate people that insist that dogs are better than cats or vice versa when they have limited expereience with the opposing pet. And why do i have to pick one? I love the dogs and cats in my life equally

• Dogs are more loyal than people. They protect us... give us unconditional love... make us laugh... they can be your best friend. I love dogs.

• Agreed. If I just look sad or I sniffle, my dog rushes to my “rescue”. Animals are lovely things.

• I don't dislike dogs, but I prefer cats.

• Cats rule, dogs drool

• If only people loved their children as much as they love their pets...

• I don't trust people who don't like animals, not just dogs. I wouldn't want them in my life.

• people who dislike dogs are fucking morons..

• They are very loyal animals

• Dogs are the best thing in the world to me ❤️

• More from Girls
    21