What are your thoughts on open relationships?

What are your thoughts on open relationships?
  • Everyone should try it
    Vote A
  • No one should try it
    Vote B
  • Only if you're married
    Vote C
  • Only if you're NOT married
    Vote D
  • To each their own
    Vote E
  • Other
    Vote F
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

1|0

Most Helpful Guys

• More people should try them, better than non-monogamous people forcing themselves to be with one partner and ending up cheating

2|0
    2|3
    • Non monogamous? I think you mean polyamourous. Polyamourous is an open relationship... but out of curiosity... why?

• I think it is rather closed minded to think a monogamous relationship is for everyone.

There is still a level of taboo towards open relationships, so people feel forced to enter monogamous relationships when they don’t suit that person’s needs

• It's like this... I really hate onions, some others love it. Just because I hate onions doesn't mean others shouldn't have them. It comes down to personal preference and what makes your life liveable.

5|3
    0|1

Most Helpful Girls

• It’s not for me but if someone else digs it, more power to em’

2|0
    0|0
  • I half way agree with the quote itself. Monogamy isn’t necessarily a “problem”, but people are capable of falling in live with multiple people and the idea that everyone HAS TO be monogamous can limit a person romantically and sexually.
    I would never be in an open relationship myself but I don’t see anything wrong with it.

3|2
    3|2

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 54

• This will probably be a very unpopular opinion, but I believe open relationships are "more human" than monogamous ones. People in relationships still take a peek at someone else they find attractive, who isn't their partner. And as much as we may like our partner, the spark is never the same as when you first met your partner. We're humans, we naturally take things for granted and get used to what we have. And although it's ok to be in a relationship with only one person, it's insane to think that there is ONLY 1 person for you in the world. For God's sake, this planet has well over 7.2 billion people... there's no way in hell we'd be compatible with just 1 person. In our lifetime, we will have not even met 1% of Earth's population... and yet is it logical to believe that we just so happened to come across the perfect person for us, despite how little we've scavenged through? There's bound to be more. And so, I don't see logical reason to stick in a monogamous relationship, rather than someone possibly getting jealous that their partner may like someone else more than they like you. And yet, if we could learn to be more comfortable with who we are and not allow our jealousy to drive our minds, then I do believe it to be far more logical to live in an open relationship. There would be far less lonely people in this world, as we would stop feeling so much pressure regarding "finding the one" and know that you will still be free to experiment with other people to find someone that you may like for other reasons. Why only stick with pizza for the rest of your life when you can try out burgers, Chinese, ice cream, etc? And so, although being in a monogamous relationship isn't bad, I see far more positives to open relationships than I do monogamous relationships.

0|0
    1|0
  • In my opinion open relationships, is no different than telling your significant other that you're going to be cheating on them from the start and that they just have to deal with that.

I think that's terrible. You should love and be with one person. That's just my opinion.

3|2
    0|0
  • To each their own, though commited monogamous relationships forces the people involved to evolve, grow and work together. Personally I think that's much more fulfilling.

3|1
    0|0
    • People in open relationships still have to go through those same things

• I see, I can imagine it must even be harder at times.

• Some people, open relationships work for. I've known people with open relationships who've been married for a dozen years or better. Other people, they don't work for.

If you've got two people who both feel the same way about them, that sex on the side is just sex and no big deal, then it probably works out fantastically. If anyone in the arrangement doesn't feel that way though, it's going to be a huge mess.

1|0
    0|0
  • I tried it once when I was young and naive - it was a stupid idea. It makes no sense and because of that it most often ends badly. The only people who seem to do ok with it tend to be complete weirdos.

2|2
    0|1
  • I've had one. It ended in fire. No really.
    Never again.

4|0
    0|0
  • I would never have an open relationship, I'd never support it, and I'll never consider it anything other than bad, but people can do what they want to as long as nobody gets hurt

1|1
    0|0
  • "To each their own", if somebody wants to try it, then go ahead. Both partners would have to agree to it and be on the same page and set boundaries otherwise it wouldn't work.

2|0
    0|0
  • Poly relationships only work for some people, same goes for monogamous relationships, to each their own.

3|0
    0|0
  • open relationship is for less than 1% of people. People keep talking about it as though its highly needed.
    Love isn't cursed by monogamy. Love is cursed by a society that isn't prepared for monogamy.

3|0
    0|0
  • Its for immature slags & man slags & it spreads STD's. Plus risks totally irresponsible childbirth. The poor baby will not even know who its father is.

2|0
    1|0
  • Only negative, but I vote for E. I don't care unless it's concerning me. But I have my opinion. And it's really negative.
    It would be a dealbreaker for me.
    Do whatever you want, sure. But keep in mind there are consequences.

1|1
    0|0
  • If you are dating or married. You are dating or married to someone for a reason. If you are absolutely in-love with your partner,... then there's no reason to open the relationship nor possibly cheat.

If you are not in-love with your partner, yet you are with that person,... than that person is just there in your life to fill in your empty void, that's it.

0|0
    0|0
  • To each their own. I personally don't like it. What's the point of being committed if you fuck other people?

4|1
    0|1
  • Why bother having a relationship if you are going to hook up with random people?

4|1
    0|0
  • I feel like if you want to or feel the need to be with anyone other than me, then you clearly don't really love me. I personally can't have any sort of feelings for more than one person at a time so I would never even consider it

0|0
    0|0
  • Pain in the ass. I tend to find it just magnifies drama if you have at least one of them with a twinge of insecurity. Way too much to deal with for me.

0|0
    0|0
  • i couldn't do it for a few reasons. but i have no problem with other people doing it if that works for them

0|0
    0|0
  • Works great for some. Might not work at all for others.

0|0
    0|0
  • Not my thing and I am completely uninterested. And it sounds like a mistake, but let people do what they want to do.

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 25

• What is the point of being in a relationship then? Personally if my partner mentioned that I would think he's not really serious about the relationship him and I have. It just shows your partner isn't loyal to you. I mean cudos to people who do that but I wouldn't trust them.

0|0
    0|0
  • To each their own but its honestly fucked up. Monogamy is where its at!

3|7
    0|0
  • I've tried them, never really took the opportunity to use it on my side, because I never reallywanted to anyway. And I found out they're not my thing at all. However I don't judge anyone in sucha relationship, everyone is free to live their life as they wish.

1|0
    0|0
  • Open marriage is more enjoyable and healthy to me.
    We started it almost a yr ago

1|2
    3|1
    • And I'm sure you have lot of pleasure and it make your relation stronger 😊

• Show All
    • I think you were talking to "asker" but it also be a pleasure for me to discuss with you. Always interesting to see how other couple like us deals with it

• I would never do such a thing to myself, but if all the people involved are 100% okay with it I don't see how it could be wrong.

0|1
    0|0
  • I'm not into open relationships, but I'm all about a polygamous one. Share the love.

1|0
    1|1
  • To each their own, If that makes you happy and doesn't hurt your partner/s , but it's definitely not my cup of tea

0|1
    2|0
  • I’m going to have to go with No one should try it... it can have affects on later terms around them and others...

0|0
    0|0
  • I think it’s good for people who are not ready for a monogamous relationship.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don’t like open relationships so I’m not in one. To each their own

0|0
    0|0
  • I would say no. have one person cause then you are able to stay strong with that one realation ship

0|0
    0|0
  • My Open Marriage works great

1|1
    0|0
    • When it's done in the right conditions it works pretty well. Long time to your happy wedding

• I'm not into sharing or being shared.

0|1
    0|0
  • To each their own but my man is mine.

2|3
    0|0
  • I respect monogamous relationships a lot more.

2|4
    0|0
  • I love monogamy!!😍

1|2
    0|0
  • Not for me but hey, knock yourself out.

0|1
    0|0
  • More stds and unwanted prego

1|0
    0|0
  • I was recently introduced into one and it's hot

0|0
    0|0
  • To each their own 😊

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Girls