Would you date someone who doesn't have a car/cant drive? Why or why not?

For starters, im single dammit *eye roll* lol i wanna be happy because i knew i deserved better, but im mad at myself because i still love him but know its 100% over now. I ruined us for good. I was strong and broke up with him that afternoon after getting fed up. Then that night we talked, he played dumb and asked if i recalled what happened earlier. So i played dumb in return and pretended as if we never broke up. He got pissed and i turned all “delusional” and kept telling him he was still my boyfriend. I stooped to his level and had a very childish moment. But whatever, he's done with me now so its for the best. My friends tagteamed me and lectured me for getting weak all of a sudden and going out with a bang as the “crazy” girlfriend. Smh. But anyways today im feeling ok. They also told me how no guy these days will want a girl who doesn't have a car/not trying to learn to drive. So theyre prob right but i just wanted to ask y'all. I mean my boyfriend and guys before him didn't have a car but i still wanted and loved them. So it kinda sucks that guys these days apparently may not want me. #FeelFreeToList #DudeWheresMyCar
  • I would date someone who doesn't have a car and can't drive
    Vote A
  • I would date someone who doesn't have a car as long as they know how to drive
    Vote B
  • I wouldn't date someone who doesn't have a car and can't drive
    Vote C
  • I also dont have a car and can't drive
    Vote D
  • I also dont have a car but can drive
    Vote E
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|4

Most Helpful Guys

• I'd date & have dated someone who doesn't have a car or knw how to drive as long as getting one & learning how to drive is one of their near future goals

Where I am there is NO public transportation I stay in a VERY rual (country) area so if you don't have a car or live near where you work your dead in the water (so not having a car would be rough but as long as tht is something they want for themselves in the future then sure) but they don't want to learn how to drive ever then I don't think I could shoulder that

1|0
    0|0
    • LOL yea welp guess my friends and ex were right. We’re also in a rural area with little to no transport and i kinda gave up on wanting to drive when i started getting the shakes and my nerves got worse. So yea ig thats what they meant when they said no guy wants that

• Its not that them not having a car is a turn off its just tht in a living together situation especially w/a child or we both working full time jobs you gotta be able to get around.

• I’d def be drivin by then

• Unless you live somewhere that has great public transit, or have a medical condition the precludes you from driving. I'd say they need to drive. It's too much work to be the only driver in a family. My exwife didn't drive, so I'd goto college, on my way home I'd run errands, take her to work, then goto work myself, head home, then pick her up, maybe run another errand. And days off we're me driving all over running errands. If we needed to go do laundry at the laundromat, guess who did it. Groceries? Me again. Pick her sister up? Me. Fuck that, never doing it again.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• I don't know how to drive so I feel like I'd be a hypocrite if I said I didn't wanna date someone because they couldn't drive or didn't have a car. I live in the city and take the bus everywhere so it's not really necessary for me to drive. Plus i don't see well so i don't feel i would pass the vision test to even get a license lol. I wouldn't mind if a guy didn't drive. We'd just have to Lyft or Uber everywhere.

1|0
    0|0
    • Yea uber here high af lol plus we lack pub transport. I do prefer he have a car but im willing to help him save for one. I also dont think ill pass the test because of my vision and shakey arm

• Cars are material things. Possessions. They mean sod all in a relationship. Abilities, like driving, and somewhat the same.

All that matters is being loving and caring. ANy guy that cannot be that is not worth considering a s even a casual date, let alone a life long partner.

2|0
    0|0
    • I agree. I dont even see guys that way... but my friends say guys wouldn't want me if i can't drive. I find that bogus especially since both these girls have cars and can drive, yet theyre the ones single

• Show All
    • Thank you for MHG!

• You deserve it

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 55

• Damn no way lol no way. Can’t believe this

Well it depends really. If you live in the city It’s not that important. But if you live in an area where just getting to the convenient store is a challenge cause it’s far then yes she should have one for herself even
    Otherwise she can never just be like hey I’m coming over
    No it’s always going to be hey can you come pick me up lol

1|1
    0|0
    • Yea ik i need a car but my nerves bad and ion wanna drive.. and lol my mom will drop me off haha. But yea i broke up with him then regretted it and then pissed him off so he's done with me

• Ya at least get a liscense lol. You can at least take your moms car to the movies or something haha

Damn can’t believe it just like that huh
      It’s probably good for you. You need time away and a break from all this. Go back to focusing on you. He was barely there either way. More like a voice in the background

• Well I don't think there are any 'real' reasons to not date a girl/guy that does not own a car, the only thing is that it is much easier to have one.

So if I am dating a girl that constantly needs to be picked up/dropped off and isn't mobile herself, it would annoy me I'm sure.

Not at first, but surely after a while.

1|0
    0|0
    • YEA THEY WERe saying thats why i need to learn so that i dont annoy the guy

• Yes,, I would... It would be quite hypocritical for most to say no, knowing they'd be crushed if
    someone rejected them on the
    basis of not having money or
    material means. But the shift
    in balance is more guys would
    date a girl without a car but we
    can't say the same for most girls.

1|0
    0|0
  • Maybe… Where I live now you sort of need to have one to live. If I lived in a more walkable city with good public transit and she could run her own life without a car and didn’t want me to taxi her around everywhere then I wouldn’t care.

1|0
    0|0
  • In most big cities there really is no need to own a car. They are expensive and getting around isn't difficult without one. I wouldn't see the big deal as long as you are mobile and able to get around on your own. It would only be an issue if she continuously used me to be her chauffeur.

1|0
    0|0
    • YEA i live in a midsize college town so lack of public transport here in the countryside... but yea he prob worried he’d be my chauffer... i dont even go anywhere though unless invited so I don't know why he felt so bothered

• 😕 sad news.
    Nah.. I don't mind if someone doesn't have a car. There's no reason for me to want a girl with a car - I want the girl not her car 😂.
    Besides, I don't have a car of my own.
    1. I can't afford one right now
    2. I'm too lazy to go and get a driving licence 🤣
    3. Even if I buy a car and get a licence, I don't have the means to maintain it.
    So yeah... I'm not buying one until I know that I can maintain it

1|0
    0|0
  • I have a vision problem that stopped me from getting a car. I see well otherwise and could probably get a license if I go trough a bunch hoops but I have been terrified at the possibility of hurting people due to eyesight. At the moment I am kind of resigned to waiting for self driving cars.

It sucks a lot when It comes to dating though.

1|0
    0|0
  • Nope. She would be too dependent on me like a child. Some guys like that but I don’t. Do yourself a favor and get a car because you’ll have more freedom.

1|1
    0|0
  • I have plenty of cars and if she can’t drive it won’t be a big deal to me, only thing I’d mind is if she’s scared of car rides (cars are my hobby after all)

2|0
    0|0
    • Lol i mean if you drove too fast i’d worry bt im not afraid to ride in a car. I just have bad nerves, arm shakes, and bad eyesight to where i dont wanna be behind the wheel

• Yes, course! If only that was my only limitation... I would have been dating a long time ago!! But I would want to show a girl how to drive, because it is an important skill to have

1|0
    0|0
  • I chose A because I don't care if my girl doesn't have a car or can't drive. Because I should be doing the driving and prefer driving. I would feel weird if my girlfriend was driving and I was in the passenger seat.

2|0
    0|1
  • I’ve never found someone I liked and gone “yeah they’re great, but they can’t drive...”. Driving can help sometimes, but it’s never a reason for me not to date someone.

1|0
    0|0
  • I don't currently have a car, but have had a girlfriend who didn't have one when I did, so I am OK with it.

2|0
    0|0
    • Totally understandable. I mean this time around yea one of us needs a car because we need to be able to see eachother, but i wouldn't just not date a guy who didn't have one.

• Show All
    • I mean my boyfriend was kinda getting annoyed that he was the only one who could drive, so maybe its true I don't know

• TBH, I think most guys want to be the one driving. I know I would rather be the driver than the passenger.

• See as a guy it's okay because we basically Drive all the time anyway I'm my own car so that's not a problem but as a woman that doesn't have a car and can't drive

1|0
    0|0
    • Indont even see guys that way... but my friends say guys wouldn't want me if i can't drive. I find that bogus especially since both these girls have cars and can drive, yet theyre the ones single... plus my boyfriend (well ex now) said he’d get annoyed having tondrive all the time

• No problem dating someone who can't drive they have things worked out for getting round but I'd never give up my car

1|0
    0|0
    • Yea well we lack public transport so you’d actually be ok having to drive 99% of the time?

• My ex wife never wanted to drive so I got used to that even had to drop her off at work. Admittedly saying she could drive was stretching the truth

• Hahaha okay

• It wouldn't bother me at all, I have a car and prefer to be the one driving anyway. Oooh and it could be fun to teach you

1|0
    0|0
    • Aww sounds fun :) yea he didn't wanna teach me. He wanted me to learn before we moved in together

• I don't have a car and I can't drive (at least not legally). I wouldn't mind dating someone who doesn't have a car or can't drive, but it would be preferable.

1|0
    0|0
  • A is totally fine. It's not the car and the driving skills that count :D
    Be a sweetheart with whom I feel a click and I'll be happy :D

1|0
    0|0
  • I dont drive myself YET, I took my test last year but due to certain events where a close friend i class as family was struggling with his health, he decided to end it and messaged me the morning of my test... telling me of his intent, it just was bad timing as it was the morning of my test and I failed on silly things because the driving was not my priority that day...
    then my own health has been up and down (mostly down) so i stayed away from even attempting to learn until i got it sorted... I have owned a 125cc motorcycle and have driven manual and automatic cars.. i do seem to have issues with the clutch due to my left leg (as it it is that one i need here in the UK) but hopeful i will be driving this year :)

1|0
    0|0
    • Yea i kinda gave up on practicing driving after our car broke down and kinda just didn't wanna try again

• yeah I'm still trying to save up, but it's taking a lot cos i have a lot of things that are more important atm :(

• well that and health not great so have to travel a lot to appointments

• Where I live there is public transport going pretty much everywhere, so I'd date someone who is incapable of driving/doesn't have a car

1|0
    0|0
  • I would date someone who doesn't have a car as long as they know how to drive in case of an emergency.

1|0
    0|0
    • Yea thats why i said ima try to learn for emergency purposes

• It's beneficial for you and those around you to have that peace of mind that you can be relied on when necessary. It's not good to be a helpless duck, right?

• Yea but i have bad nerves and my arm gets shakey and i hust rather not be behind the wheel

• Whether a girl has a car or not i would date her
    i would have to save money up to be able to go see her.

1|0
    0|0
  • I live in NYC where not driving is ok. Some NYers go their whole lives without learning to drive.
    So, yes, I would date some who didn't drive.

1|0
    0|0
    • A few notes:
      "Then that night we talked, he played dumb and asked if i recalled what happened earlier. So i played dumb in return and pretended as if we never broke up. He got pissed and i turned all “delusional” and kept telling him he was still my boyfriend. "

Playing dumb is stupid.

"My friends tagteamed me and lectured me for getting weak all of a sudden and going out with a bang as the “crazy” girlfriend. "

Always be careful listening to friends. I have a rule that I listen to people who are where I am, or where I want to be. So, if I wanted to be married, I wouldn't listen to single people. What do they know? lol

• Yea we dont have much public transport here. And yea i just played dumb because he did. But you're right, I don't know why i listened to them but i mean technically im single now too 🙈

• right now i don't have a car, cause i'm back to school to get my masters and i don't need a car to get around in the city.

1|0
    0|0
    • Lucky. We lack transport here

• well here transport sucks as well but due to traffic i'm faster most places by bike than i would be by car or public transport so there's not even a need.

• Yes and I have before. It does make it harder to see each other, but otherwise don't care.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yeah, I would I personally don't know anyone who would break it off with someone or wouldn't date someone if they didn't have a car or didn't know how to drive, it shouldn't really matter and it doesn't to me. I'm glad to hear that you finally broke up with him though, I know it's tough, especially since you feel you still love him so everytime you think of him, associate that with a bad memory of him or something that he did that hurt you and that might help you get over him and of course the main thing about getting over someone is no contact with him.
    I'm sure you'll be fine, guys won't care if you don't have a car and if they do then it's a good thing cause then you'll know that they're not good enough for you if they'll only be with you for a car...

1|0
    0|0
    • Thank you for great advice. I dont even see guys that way... but my friends say guys wouldn't want me if i can't drive. I find that bogus especially since both these girls have cars and can drive, yet theyre the ones single

• Show All
    • I knew a few people like that, I call them judgmental hypocrites, they criticize and judge everything about you when they're in no position to do that or they've done the same things or if they say you should do something or have something when they don't even do or have it themselves, or if they say you shouldn't do or have something when they do or have the same thing...

• I've dated girls who couldn't drive. It doesn't bother me at all. Plus I like driving and opening the door for my girl!

1|0
    0|0
  • I'm not sure why this would matter, so yeah--if she's otherwise awesome why not?

1|0
    0|0
    • I agree. I dont even see guys that way... but my friends say guys wouldn't want me if i can't drive. I find that bogus especially since both these girls have cars and can drive, yet theyre the ones single

• Show All
    • Some of the guys below agreed with him

• Fair enough. I still suspect it's a minority opinion amongst guys. It's probably an opinion that's even MORE in the minority amongst the set of guys most girls would actually want to date! lol!

• As they long as they can drive, I don't want to be driving them around everywhere, if they don't have a car I can understand

1|0
    0|0
    • Yea thats what my friends said... they said that even if i can't afford a car rn, i need to at least know how to drive. So yea maybe ill look into taking the test again I don't know...

• You got this I got mine at 21 i think

• But i admit, i haven't been trying because i have really bad nerves and now my arm does this shakey thing and my eyesight has gotten worse. I just dont trust being behind the wheel. I dont wanna drive. Like yea ill take the test for emergency driving reasons but i dont avtually wanna drive. I need to see how much chauffers cost haha

• That's not something that really matters it's just less convenient

1|0
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

What Girls Said 14

• Hell yes. A car is a car. I am dating a human, not a transformer.

1|0
    0|0
  • I couldn't care less about that living in a big city with all sorts of public transport where a car would actually be more of a hassle than a bonus.
    I do have a drivers license and am a pretty good driver but I only ever drive when I really have to (i. e. when I'm home on the country side)

1|0
    0|0
    • Yea we dont have much pub transport since im in the country side tooo

• It's harder on the country side because I'd wanna date someone independent and if they don't have a car and don't know how to drive that's definitely not a given

• Yea thats what my friends daid

• I wouldn't date someone who doesn't have a car and can't drive my reasons is because I live in the countryside so if you have no car you can't have a job neither can buy bread.
    Too it would annoy me having to drive him around all the time, it wouldn't be fair for me to pay everything.

1|0
    0|0
    • I understand... but i wouldve still given gas and i hardly go anywhere so we only wouldve gone had he ask me... or if we lived together, i’d need a ride to work but i get it

• In my country they don't pay the gas, like if one have a car the others would say for nothing at all. And if someone have to move (like for a sleep over or so) it would always be the same person that have to move, in the end it would be annoying.

• To your question, yes I would
    And also I'm sorry that you're heart broken! I really wish for you that you get over this and finally get what you want and deserve!

2|0
    0|0
    • Yea im not as heartbroken anymore but sucks because we were so close to moving in together... i saved for the apartment, he saved for the car... i was looking forward to getting engaged and all that. I dont feel like starting over again... so im looking into AInor IVF

• Yeah it is really shitty. What is alnor ivf?

• Artificial Insemn or invitro

• Girl I don’t have a car either. I have a license but no car. I never had a problem getting a boyfriend. A man will still date you. That’d be stupid to not date someone if they don’t have a car. Especially if they don’t know your circumstances.

1|0
    0|0
  • At this age I would be fine with my partner not knowing how to drive but I would prefer if my partner could drive when I get older.

1|0
    0|0
  • I don't get the back story between all this.
    But I would date someone who didn't have a car but knows how to drive. Only cause driving is my passion. I love driving whether its a 4 wheeler or a car. I love the adrenaline that you feel when you drive on a clear road going fast. Because I love it, I want my SO to have the same interest as me. Otherwise people will just think I'm some crazy person that cuts lines and going so fast for no reason. It's not like that, being in the car behind the wheel. I love it. That's why on my bucket list, I have to drive a supercar.

1|0
    0|0
  • Neither me or my boyfriend can drive or own a car. I am about to save up for a license and a car but that takes time.

1|0
    0|0
    • Yea he was saving for the car and i was saving for the aprtment but without him, now i gotta consider saving for a car myself

• I’m sorry Des.

I would date a guy who didn’t have a car.

1|0
    0|0
    • Okay. I dont even see guys that way... but my friends say guys wouldn't want me if i can't drive. I find that bogus especially since both these girls have cars and can drive, yet theyre the ones single

• I agree with you.

I’m gonna sign off soon, but text me later if you need to talk.

• It would be impossible for me to date a guy who doesn’t have a car.

1|0
    0|0
  • I have a car myself and I can drive. I would say I prefer a guy who can drive too.

1|0
    0|0
  • My boyfriend had recently a car crash and don´t have a car. Yes it´s kinda annoying but we work it out.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes of course i would, not the be all and end all

1|0
    0|0
  • C.. I'm so fucken proud of you!!! 😘

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes