Homosexuality In Christianity

I think a lot of people are frequently confused about what the bible actually says, and does not say, about homosexuality. So for this Take I just decided to write everything I know, and I think once you see everything you'll probably have learned something. If I miss anything feel free to point it out to me.

Homosexuality In Christianity

Old Testament

Leviticus 18

This section starts by telling the Hebrew people to not do these sexual acts as the Canaanites do. It then goes on to mainly describe sexual relations with your family members and their wives. Interestingly it does not mention women having sex with anyone, it only pertains to who men can sleep with. I should also point out that this chapter contradicts earlier portions of the bible like, the tale of Laban. According to this chapter men having sex with men is just as detestable as having sex with a woman on her period.

Leviticus 20

This starts off with a strong deterrent to not sacrifice your child to the wrong god. I won't go to much into this here, but many think that yhwh actually originally called for child sacrifice himself. It then goes into the punishments for various sexual acts for which most are stoning, or perhaps burning. They also sadly put to death an animal that's been raped. Also witches/ priestesses.

Abomination/ Detestable!

It is imperative that I point out here something that many people are not aware of. In both Leviticus 18 and 20 the phrases regarding same sex acts are, "Do not have sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman;that is detestable" and "If a man has sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable." respectively. The key word to look at here is, "detestable" or in some translations "abominable." The hebrew words here are "shiqquts or sheqets." This phrase is always talking about things that are ceremonially unclean, like eating certain unclean animals, or things involved in idol-worship. This has lead some scholars to theorize that the condemnation of homosexuality was actually just a condemnation of a particular cult's practices and not really about homosexuality themselves. Much like girls having sex with donkeys, and sacrificing your children to Molech

Sodom & Gomorrah

Many are familiar with the story so I won't go to far into it. In Genesis 19 god sends some angels to Sodom and it is said that all the men young and old in the town came to rape these angels calling them men. Lot offered his daughters to the rape mob instead but they refused. At this point god decided to destroy the town. Many people believe this story is a demonstration of how evil/ immoral homosexuality is in god's eyes, but a closer reading doesn't really look that way.--

Talmud

The Talmud (Mishna) has a specific phrase, "Midat Sdom" which is describing the way of Sdom, or more particularly the evil of Sdom. Homosexuality doesn't come up here, instead the actual midat sdom is the idea that, "what’s mine is mine and what’s yours is yours." This was abhorrent to the Jews. It is later described that the people of Sdom would do fake charity. When a person came to their town everyone would give the beggar a coin (money) but forbade anyone to sell them bread so that when the person died they would go back and take their money.

Isaiah 1

The entire chapter is an utter condemnation of Judah. They are repeatedly compared with Sodom and Gomorrah in their evildoing and depravity. Throughout the chapter, the Prophet lists many sins of the people: rebelling against God, lacking in knowledge, deserting the Lord, idolatry, engaging in meaningless religious ritual, being unjust and oppressive to others, being insensitive to the needs of widows and orphans, committing murder, accepting bribes, etc. There is no reference to homosexuality or to any other sexual activities at all.

Jeremiah 23

14:"... among the prophets of Jerusalem I have seen something horrible: They commit adultery and live a lie. They strengthen the hands of evildoers, so that no one turns from his wickedness. They are all like Sodom to me; the people of Jerusalem are like Gomorrah." Jeremiah compares the actions of the prophets with the adultery, lying and evil of the people of Sodom. Homosexual activity is not mentioned.

Ezekiel 16

49-50:"Now this was the sin of your sister Sodom: She and her daughters were arrogant, overfed and unconcerned; they did not help the poor and needy. They were haughty and did detestable things before me. Therefore I did away with them as you have seen." God states clearly that he destroyed Sodom's sins because of their pride, their excess of food while the poor and needy suffered; sexual activity is not even mentioned

Matthew 10 & Luke 10

These are two new testament passages in which Jesus references Sodom and Gomorrah's, sin as being their ill-treatment of guests. (Not welcoming travelers)

Homosexuality In Christianity

New Testament

Romans 1

Many will point to the end of this chapter (24-27) which states that god gave "them" over to sexual perversions speaking specifically, "Even their women exchanged natural sexual relations for unnatural ones. In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed shameful acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their error." The problem with referencing this section is that it actually appears to be an interpolation. The whole section of Rom 1.18–2.29, appears to be an interpolation after considerations of language, context, and ideational content.

1 Timothy 1

The authenticity of these books are actually widely viewed to be in-authentic, even Marcion (who came up with the first canon) didn't add these.

1 Corinthians 6

This chapter is reprimanding the christians for taking each other to court. It says that they should settle their own matters in house. Then there's an insertion about sexual immorality including homosexuality. This verse is actually a parallel verse to the one in 1 Timothy 1. IT has been pointed out that the word used here, "arsenokoitai" we don't know much about. Some argue that this portion is about masturbation, and when the term is used elsewhere it can be talking about prostitution, or maybe just anal sex in general as John the Faster says many men engage in "arsenokoitai" with their wives. Just as a side note a few verses later it is said, "The wife does not have authority over her own body but yields it to her husband. In the same way, the husband does not have authority over his own body but yields it to his wife." saying that a woman or man can't refuse their partner's "spousal right" to sex.

Conclusion

In conclusion the OT treats homosexual acts as ceremonially impure. Much like following dietary laws, or sleeping with your wife while she's on her period, and the common belief that the crime of Sodom is actually homosexuality is not well evidenced, in fact it even appears that Jesus disagrees with this notion. Then the NT comes along and is mostly silent, but the portions that do mention homosexuality are quite ambiguous or appear to be later interpolations.

Anyway, have fun with it. Criticism always appreciated.

Who moved this to sexual behavior?

527
ladsin is a GirlsAskGuys Influencer
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• Cherry picking is great isn't it? Do Christians follow these passages?
    Matthew:
    5:29 And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.
    5:30 And if thy right hand offend thee, cut it off, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.
    Or what about this from the Old Testament?
    Numbers 31:15-18 King James Version (KJV)
    15 And Moses said unto them, Have ye saved all the women alive?

16 Behold, these caused the children of Israel, through the counsel of Balaam, to commit trespass against the Lord in the matter of Peor, and there was a plague among the congregation of the Lord.

17 Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him.

18 But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • Metaphor

• Because Numbers contains commands that were meant to keep the Israelites clean/germ-free, whereas Jesus most often spoke in metaphors and parables.

• @Gavyn ah, do you think there’s metaphor and parable in the OT as well? I’m trying to understand the method you use.

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 4

• No matter what the truth is, bigots will always use religion as an excuse to hate.

• I think that's incorrect. I don't believe that it is bigoted not to support homosexuality because of religion. Now if they were to hate gays that's be another thing. But Christianity doesn't tell you to hate gays, in fact is says to do the opposite, love everyone despite their sins and to forgive them.

I think your comment is very aggressive, without any evidence to back it up

• @Coined Amazing how a 15 year old can have so much more maturity and insight than a 42 year old women.

I bet a million bucks @JenSCDC is the type of person who would scream at the sky when Trump got elected. These people live a perpetual existence in adolescence.

• Homosexuality is a Sin in God's eyes. xx

• A lot of people resort to the religion argument against gays.

There are arguments to be made both ways but I generally ignore them.

The arguments against being gay really are secular arguments not religious and even then shouldn’t be translated to law and really apply more at a societal level than an individual level.

The argument is really simple. The society that man has created has been created almost exclusively under the realm of heterosexuality. Not that anyone is suggesting it, but there is no evidence to support that society would be effective if it embraced a let’s all be gay approach.

Live and let live.

• Who ever said everyone should be gay?

• I'm sure sweety. Have a good day.

• I’m sure little child.

You try to hide behind logic but when someone calls you on your game you get all defensive and condescending.

As though you aren’t the one changing what I’m saying and then ignoring that you did it.

That really doesn’t do much for your belief that you are s logical fact driven individual. Turns out you are just an emotional hyperbolic propagandist.
      Otherwise you’d just deal with what I say not what you change my words to.

• http://hoperemainsonline.com This is a very interesting site that goes into depth about each verse that supposedly condemns homosexuality

• You mock my religion by spreading lies.

• Blame everybody but yourself.

• @Coined He’s exactly right.

What Guys Said 26

• For the record, I'm an atheist, but this excusing of homosexuality in the bible is a joke. The christian God hates homosexuality. If you're gay, stop begging for crumbs and trying to get accepted by Christianity. Just be yourself, the Christian God is not for you.

"If a man has sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They are to be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads." (God speaking) Leviticus 20:13

- At no point does God ever revoke this law. According to the bible, God is the one who SPOKE this law. God is supposed to be perfect, so you would think he wouldn't give the wrong law by mistake.
    - In Christianity, Jesus is supposed to BE God, and Jesus told people to OBEY the Law of Moses (Matt 23:1-3). Jesus never revokes the law against homosexuality.
    - Paul also speaks negatively of homosexual relations, and at no point does he say it's ok. However, he promotes the idea of being saved by grace: where he says that the Law tells us what sin IS, but because of Jesus, you are no longer punished according to rules of the law. Because of Jesus, God now has mercy on you as long as you repent and are trying to live a Christ-like life.

- The Christian God is supposed to be omniscient. He knew that people today would be struggling with this issue, and that homosexuals would be persecuted throughout the ages because of verses in the Bible that condemn homosexuality. And yet God put the verses in the bible as they are: condemning homosexuality as a sin deserving of death. Why would a loving, omniscient God not make it crystal clear that homosexuality is ok, if he really believed it was ok? What a tragedy that God would allow so many people to die or be condemned because he didn't have the foresight to make such "ambiguous" verses crystal clear.

• I'm an atheist and I never said the Bible excused homosexuality. Why does nobody care to read before they respond?

• Yep, but that still doesn't make the verse ambiguous. It's clear that the God of Abraham hates homosexuality. And hates when you pick up sticks on Saturday. The only difference now for believers is Paul's doctrine of grace.

• Oh, gotcha. I wasn't sure of the point you were making. My point was never that the Bible says homosexuality is ok. In fact I pointed out that it speaks against it. My reference to "detestable" was just to show that it was as "detestable" as all the other sins listed.

Christians today just seem to think homosexuality is worse than others for some reason. For example, we don't have policy makers trying to ban or get people in trouble for sleeping with a woman on her period.

Does that make more sense? Homosexuality is certainly wrong, but it's no more wrong than any of the other hundreds of sins throughout the Bible.

• "Facts are stubborn things"-Ronald Reagan

Although I can appreciate the desire to be welcoming to homosexuals, this seems to me a perfect case study in throwing away all the evidence you don't like. The Bible may be filled with rich symbolism and with the need to take things in context, but the New Testament in particular was written predominantly for lower class people, not scholars. Furthermore, the only theologian you cite to support utterly discarding Timothy was a gnostic heretic who tried to edit the Gospel of Luke to his preferences and was excommunicated, that would be like trying to cite Valentinus on the doctrine of the Trinity and the nature of the flesh. Furthermore, to write off Romans as "interpolation" has 0 textual evidence, all surviving Pauline manuscripts contain all alleged interpolations.

Being gay does not preclude someone from being a Christian, but a Christian who is gay simply has another sin to avoid that is different from what others deal with. Some of us *are* called to chastity.

• Wow. I must agree with the quote at the beginning. Before I go any further. Did you actually read what I wrote or not?

• Yes. Otherwise I would have no reason to address your trying to slam the inerrant and divinely inspired word of Romans as “interpolation” or to discuss the heretic Marcion. If I hadn’t read it, I wouldn’t have addressed specific arguments. You can beat the Bible until you make it say whatever you want it to, but that doesn’t change plain text that has been understood for millennia.

• Cool. Are you aware that I agree the Bible says homosexuality is a sin?

• It must be at least 10 times here I’ve asked people to quite Jesus on homosexuality. And they just rain abuse. But I think they really do believe that every three or four pages Jesus probably said “love everyone except the homosexuals who must be burned”

He definitely was against bisexual rape gangs. So if someone Christian was wondering if that’s okay: no, no it isn’t.

• Perhaps, but jesus' only reference to sodom was their ill treatment of travelers as well 😂

• IT'S ADAM AND EVE NOT ADAM AND STEVE! haha I actually don't care too much for the argument just trying to be funny. The old testament needs to be read with with a little bit of fore thought, I also do not have a problem with openly guy people being Christian, I personally don't really like the political arguments, and other crap that goes along with gas rights, not everyone is going to be able to Make the mental hurdles I have to see the world with a new light.

• Sure. I just find it interesting how little the Bible says about it, but how big a deal it seems to come across for some Christians. For example it's just as bad as sleeping with your wife on your period, yet we've never (as far as I'm aware) had a period of time where we were locking up and electroshocking hetero couples who have sex on the rag.

• Yeah I read that, shit is serious all over the world, I think the Catholic Church had about 25 missionaries murdered last year. And the Chinese government closed down churches. The answer to these questions is you can fight every battle, and most of the real dangerous fights are going to be so far removed from your own circle of influence, that you could be killed or at best not achieve a positive outcome anyway. As for the book, that's not really important either, you can't go and tuck everyone into bed a night and proof read literature to them, they are going to believe what ever they want, regardless of how insulting or ridiculous it is.

• If I can change 5 people's mind on X and each in turn is able to change the mind of 5 then that's practically the whole world. Obviously I have no delusions of that being the case, but that doesn't mean that I can't still try. In this case I'm trying to inspire a person to read their own book. Perhaps to question what they've been told. Most don't.

• It is good how you skirt round different scriptures but homosexually is condemned by its unnatural act. This is shown in documents when lot offers his daughters they didn't want females they wanted the angels because they were pictured as being beautiful males.. Also at 1Corinthians 6:9+10 shows any one doing these acts will not go into the kingdom of God.. verse 11 shows if they trunk round in there behaviour they will be saved !!!

• Oh my god... it's almost like you didn't bother to read. Fascinating

• Dude if you desire hate and critic the Bible then do so, but quit being a damn liar and trying to distort what the Bible acutally teaches before an audience when doing so.

• 🤷🏻‍♂️should read the book, and the scholars on it.

• Pride comes before the fall after all

• So why would God create man and a women then? When he could've just created a man and man or woman and woman then gave them the ability to reproduce. But no he choose man and woman.

• I think the punishment is death and bible is very clear about it. So why would you share a mytake to prove what's already very very clear.
    I am against homosexuality cuz its absolutely not supported by the science and religion further support the idea. I consider the homosexual persons a bunch of liars cuz "anal sphincter" will not return to its normal position and the saliva or oil base lubricant will clog the intestine.
    Gay people will try to scientific when they defend it but there is nothing in science that supports their idea. I also never comprehend
    Why lesbian is okay in eyes of feminazi but Gays are very bad?

• I struggled with understanding much of what you said, but the vehemence that many protestants have for homosexuality seems really misplaced. For example they don't have the same opposition against sleeping with their wife on their period even though both are considered detestable.

As for science and homosexuality, I have no idea what you're talking about homosexuality occurs in most all mammalian species with varying degrees of frequency.

• I think these are valid reason for homosexual woman,
      1) fingering damages the vaginal epithelium and any injury will allow the vaginal microflora (bacteria) easy access to the blood stream and they can cause toxemia there.

2) Vaginal licking allows the bacteria/Parasites to gain entry to mouth. They are not supposed to be in mouth and are pathogenic to the GIT (read upper story)
      www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4660550/
      3) You are continuously wasting potential kids (Ovum) but now on purpose to feed your mind sickness.
      4) Lesbian sex is nothing just fingering and licking stuff, which a trained guy can do 100% times better and average guy 50% better than average woman.

Science only speaks against homosexual relationships but I have found plenty of people here on GaG saying noooo

GOD=lie.. Science=lie.. even our own bodies=lie (menstrual cycle)... even looking at penis and vagina can prove !
      They are made for eachother... SO even the COMMON SENSE = lie but our mental illness holds.

• Haha, ok. You got me.

• The homosexuality thing means it got moved to sexual behavior

• I've written on homosexuality in the religion section I think before... I don't believe I made a mistake on clicking it so I don't know

• It's not anymore though 👍

I've got clout on the site 😂

• One should know that the Bible is not a coherent book written by one single Autor. It's merely a collection of annexdotes that are supposed to help you have a good life. Not more or less than that. People take it too seriously.

• An admin probably saw the mention of homosexuality and decided to move it.

• Frustration

• Well, at least they saw the rest and moved it.

• It looks like I may have accidentally hit the wrong button, but still. I used my power on the site to get it moved 😂

• Your heretic ignorance and your unprecedented perspective on the bible never ceases to amuse me. Nice try 😂

• 🤷🏻‍♂️ I can live with it

• I catch you in another one of your atheist lies and you have no answer to my reply. Very well. The position of Christianity on homosexuality is clear as day, anti LGBT+. Easy as that. Have a good one ✌️

• I said it was a sin...

• You do have a point, and I'm sure it's not apparent at all in the Bible! All I'll say is that I think we just live the way we think we should... In a way that will please God. (Thanks for your Take)

• Religion is misused so many times for various reasons

• Being Christian is a mental illness, not being homosexual.

• "If I see another another queermosexual I might have to turn their blood into wine"
    -Ezekiel 10:1

• Damn, I missed that one

• It's okay, I get it, It's a pretty underground Indie book, so I understand if you can't remember it off by heart.

• Nobody cares if you like your boyfriend or not. We just don't need to know about it.

• I'm sure plenty of people would, but this is educational. Do you know what your bible says about it? I presume not. If not, why don't you want to learn more about it? This is a very short "article" that covers every mention of the term so you don't have to read and study the bible in it's entirety to learn about this subject. Isn't that a kindness on my part?

• it's not allowed loth was an example GOD does not like it

• Lot? Did you read the take? I agree with you, but the extent that people think it is seems to not like up with the scriptures

• I think i did not say he was but his nation was they all destroyed by GOD if LOT was one of em he won't be forgiven i am sure

• Oh... Are you sure you read what I wrote? God said he destroyed Sodom for it's ill-treatment of the poor.

• Thank you

• Well said.

• More from Guys
    6