My boyfriend wants me to quit smoking?

Should I quit for him? He really hates it and thinks I'm going to die early.

Most Helpful Guy

• You should quit for yourself.

The average smoker absorbs over 80 years worth of natural background radiation every year that they smoke, this is due to the radioactive Lead and Polonium in cigarettes that is absorbed into the lungs and stays there. Meanwhile, the maximum dosage a US radiation worker is allowed to absorb per year is just 30 years worth of natural background radiation per year.

So how does that make you feel? You're absorbing more than double the maximum radiation that someone who works with Uranium and hazardous waste does?

Most Helpful Girl

• Quit for yourself. Smoking is a horrible habit to have, negatively affecting everything from your health, sex-life, appearance (teeth, skin, hair, etc., all down the shitter).

• This answer is incorrect because smoking is not a habit, it's an addition like heroin it's a drug.

• @ThisAndThat I'm just saying that she's not incorrect for saying it's a habit. Obviously for a lot of people it can be a habit, and for others it's an addiction. I feel like it starts out has a habit and then once you're hooked it turns into an addiction.

• @Mekkalyn Once thing about tobacco is that it's super addictive and I would have to say probably about ninety nine percent of those messing with cigarettes are addicted because most people with any amount of common sense at all would just put them down and not continue to temp fate if they had that chance. Tobacco is known to be so addictive that a none addicted person could try one single cigarette and start having cravings and withdraws a week later. I can tell you from where I stood the addiction came very quickly and we near impossible to stop it. And had it not been for ecigs I wouldn't have been able to stop.

What Guys Said 24

• To give up should be your decision otherwise you will fail. Your boyfriend should accept you and your habits. Changing you is surely changing the very thing that attracted him to you anyway. YOU. Give up for you not because others want you to. x

• YES, quit for everyone's sake.

You would take the risk of accumulated damage while also putting your boyfriend at risk for second hand smoke? Just because your Dad is "very healthy" right now doesn't dismiss the certainty that damage is being accumulated. No smoker should be considered "very healthy", they are just fine for the moment.

Thinking for the long term is difficult but you have to.

• Yes. I think you should quit smoking. Not only for him but it also has advantages for you to mainly around the areas of your health and not trowing money away on cigarettes.

• Smoking is much worse than drinking. One person drinking a beer isn't going to make anyone else drunk, whereas smoking affects all people in your general area. My grandfather on my mom's side smoked so much, I'd go to the basement and there was a haze of smoke.

• yes. it's an expensive, gross and disgusting habit. i don't get why you would want to smoke in the 1st place. just pick up a spliff instead.

• Well I know I wouldn't date a smoker. Smoking is expensive, and actually a really silly thing to do. Do you know how bad it is for your cardiovascular system and your respiratory system?

• Did you know that going out for a beer on thursdays is a bad thing to do? It's bad for your liver and cardiovascular system

• @M_A_X Maybe because this post isn't about drinking?
      It's not like she said she has a drinking and smoking problem... just a smoking, so why wouldn't he target the thing she's... you know.. asking the question about? His preference on drinking is beside the point.

• @M_A_X alcohol in moderation is not harmful and red wine is good for you. It's a legitimate culinary element both for pairing with food and cooking with food.

There's no comparison to smoking.

• You shouldn't quit for anyone else but yourself. If you want to quit and make a move for a healthier lifestyle then go for it. If you don't then do you.

• You should quit for yourself and him. My mother was a heavy smoker. She was beautiful at 25 and wretchedly old at 45.

• Well you should be quitting anyways. Although, if him saying that persuades you more then listen to him

• You should quit whether he is asking you to or not.

• you most likely will. almost 70 percent of smokers do die early and an higher number get sick from it eventually.

• Well, you should quit although, I have to admit, it is a bit of a turn on.

• Yes you should quit. Not only for but also for your own sake. :)

• Yes you should for both of you

• Yes not only is he helping u but if u ever seen a smoker lungs u be thanking him for tell u to stop... trust me I have there all black and terrible looking thanks adv bio

• Of course smokers are disgusting. I don't know he even touches you.

• Don't do it for him. Do it for you.

• Yes you should

• No, you shouldn't.

• Smoking what?

• If he knows you smoke, why is he with you, if he doesn't like it

• He is right

• Do you want to quit smoking? Is that something you want for yourself? If not, you'll probably have to end the relationship, since it will be a deal-breaker. I'm a non-smoker, and I would never date a smoker.

• You should quit for you not him

What Girls Said 16

• Quit smoking, it's a terrible habit and second hand smoke is gross and just as harmful to those around you.

• You should quit smoking.
    Not because he wants you to, but because it's really bad for you.
    It's also really expensive, especially over time.
    Think about all the things you could have better used that money on?

My partner and I have never smoked and will never smoke. We'd rather have good health and extra money to spend, but that's just us.

• It's nice he cares enough about you to want you to quit. He can't force you to do something you don't want to do so if you don't want to do it, then don't. I don't smoke but i think if a boyfriend i really liked asked me to give up a habit i would consider it. Maybe ask him to quit something he likes and make it a challenge to do together so you are both involved! Good Luck

• Well you should only quit for yourself because if you do it for him, you'll find yourself resenting him for being angry etc haha

• Indirectly harming others isn't a reason to quit?

• No, because she isn't the only one "harming" others, if it's not her its some one else and for fourth. Even if that was a reason to quit, she wouldn't be doing it for herself therefor she will relapse. @Logic_Hammer_Bear

• If u think he's worth it, then yes :)

• Yeah or try to smoke less.

• You should quit for yourself.

Have you ever tried e-cigs? I know a couple of people who have quit using those.

• Ecigs do work. To the smoker they are exactly like smoking cigarettes.

• You should def quit.. not just for him but for yourself. It's a bad, unhealthy habit. Also, people around you can suffer from second hand smoke. I look at it this way.. it's expensive and only will harm you. Don't be fooled that just because you're okay now, it won't harm you down the road. There's absolutey no benefits from smoking.

• well do whatever you want to do its your decision, but i personally think it would be a good idea to stop because smoking is nothing but a bad habit.

• Smoking isn't a habit, smoking is an addiction like heroin it's a drug.

• @ThisAndThat ok. it starts out as a bad habit and some people can still stop if they want to. i used to smoke and then one day i decided to stop, so i just did. never smoked again after that. it was nothing but a habit.

• Tbh you should quit anyway. I'm sorry but I'm really against smoking it kills you from the inside out

• Why don't you quit for yourself...
    Smoking is so bad for you.

• You know you should quit. It's bad for you, and is super expensive.

I personally would never date a smoker. It ruins your teeth, skin, and makes you smell revolting. It also often makes you taste terrible when your partner gives you oral.

• Smoking ruins everything. It even ruins the environment and causes major environmental problems when smokers litter their cigarette butts to which most smokers don't realise or want to realise.

• @Applefan1 Absolutely. Even if they're not dropped at beaches, or in streets, they're gonna be packing landfill like crazy. That's just disgusting. I will never understand why people even start smoking now, when we know all these things.

• Yeah, well when littered cigarette butts wash down storm water drains and into the sea which then leak lots of nasty chemicals into the water like cadmium. It is said one butt can pollute up to 500 litters of water. Fish also mistake them for food, eat them and die and they also block the storm water drains. If it does not rain birds eat cigarette butts and die. They also look nasty and sometimes you can smell them to. So combining that with 4.6 trillion littered every year makes you able to see the problem littered cigarette butts are.

• the fact he is asking you to live longer and healthier... only means he cares.

• you should quit for you.

• Don't do it for him. Do it for yourself

• Also my dad is 50 and has been smoking for more than 16 years and he is not dead. He's actually very healthy

• @ThisAndThat he smokes at least a pack everyday sometimes more

• If he smokes a pack a day or more he'll probably requires something like 2.4 also referred to as 24 ml. If I were him I would give something like Vuse a try. I'm not a fan of Vuse because their cartridges don't equal a pack like they say they do. But at least they are smooth exactly like a cigarette and he'll know for sure they work. Then from there all he would have to do is find something that's equal to Vuse. It's a lot cheaper to vape than smoking to. Usually a refill bottle will cost anywhere from $5.00 on up depending where get the bottle and they'll last in most cases two weeks. Compare that to regular cigarettes.

• MY GRANDMA SMOKES AND SHE LOOKS 90.
    SHE HACKS ALL THE TIME
    SHE WHEEZES ALL THE TIME
    ITS HORRIBLE
    YOU SHOULD QUIT BEFORE IT RUINS YOU TOO
    (my grandma is only 70 this year)

• If I were your grandma I would give ecigs a try. Electronic cigarettes to the smoker is exactly like smoking only without all the poisons that come from smoking.