Would you date someone who is smarter than you?

And feel free to add any other thoughts you might have about it.

• Yes
  • No
  • Maybe or I don't know (please explain if you choose this option)
I'm actually vaguely surprised by the results so far.

Most Helpful Guy

• Maybe but probably not. A lot of them seem condescending and in addition to that most girls want a guy who is at least their equal in categories like (height, intelligence, income, etc.). I dont think they respect men who are less intelligence and I dont think they have the same level of desire for them as they would for a guy who is equally as intelligent. I remember hearing a girl talk about how she prefers less intelligent men but only so she can manipulate and use them.

I dont really want to be with a girl who looks down on me so Id probably choose to be platonic friends with a really intelligent girl over being in a relationship with one. I'd prefer to date a girl who is close to being on the same level as me intellectually.

Most Helpful Girl

• Of course. Smart is sexy. Although I would say that it's good to be with a person who is on your level of education/intelligence. Then you relate to each other in a deeper way. For example, I think a relationship between a PhD and a high school dropout might be strained. They may have different life philosophies. For myself, I will be going to graduate school next year. I would be totally fine to be with someone who has and will only have their Bachelor's degree. However, I don't think I could be with someone who didn't go to college. They have just lived a different life than I have and education/academia is important to me.

What Guys Said 38

• I'm already dating a pretty smart little lady, and I love that about her. I've had so many conversations with her about things that I don't talk about with anyone else, and I've learned a loooot of things about a different country and its culture, for example, and about experiences we'd both love to have in which we've both given our takes about how we'd love them to happen. They're eye-openers; a smart person makes you see different perspectives that you might not otherwise come up with yourself.

• yeah i would. there are a fuckton of people in the world smarter than me, why would I cut my dating pool like that lol.

• I would love to find someone smarter than me.
    But smart girls generally only want the dumbest meat head they can find.
    Or, I'm just no good at dating. Probably both...

• Well, I find that's really only true if they're looking for a purely sexual relationship. Or want someone they can walk all over... In any case, people usually only do that if they aren't ready for a serious relationship. It's totally possible for you to find what you're looking for.

• I love your optimism. here's to hope. Cheers.

• Funny how all the guys at my school go for the "Biggest Bust, Smallest Brain"...

Instead, I got myself a damn smart girlfriend I'm hella proud of X3

• I don't mind dating someone who is smarter than me as long as we can still talk about some of the same things and she doesn't play the "smart" card on me when she is angry.

• Only dumb people will say no.
    Yes, I'd rather have a smarter woman, than a dumber.

• Sure thing. We wouldn't be competitors, instead we would complete each other.

• sure, i would, it will help me balance my life, because im stupid and she smart so it'll balance my life a lot :D

• Only if they're willing to date me. :(

• d- i don't give a shit

• Actually, that would be a welcome relief.

• yeah sure :)

• If she's not conceited, condescending, and / or maternalistic about the fact that she's more intelligent, then yes. If she likes to show off or rub it in my face, then no.

• What would you consider showing off or rubbing it in your face though? Say you and her are talking about a subject with friends, you add an opinion, and she goes on to explain the subject in greater detail than you were previously aware of. While she neither agrees nor disagrees with your opinion, and although she isn't trying to put you out, it makes your opinion less impactful. Is this something that you could tolerate in a relationship?

• If she did it constantly, then, yes, that would start to grate on me rather quickly. Basically, I don't want my S. O. talking about my ideas as if they sourced from a child: "Oh, that's what you think? How cute." or "Now, boo, you should know better than that." If it reached the point where she were effectively insulting me, then the relationship wouldn't go very far.

• I married her. She got her masters degree from an Ivy league school...

• It all depends on her and her personality? Intelligence is sexy.

• As long as she's not stuck up or has an arrogant attitude, then why not?

• Depends on what kind of smart she is.

• I wish I were smarter than the girls that I'm attracted to. I think girls only want a guy who is smarter than they are, so it wouldn't work out if I were to date someone smarter than me.

• I would if she didn't look down on anyone that's not as smart as her

• Yup, I would.

• Yeah, absolutely...

• sure, as long as there isn't any arrogance that comes along with their intelligence

• I absolutely would you learn and challenge each other in like that idea personally

• yes why not? If she is smarter I can hopefully learn somethign from her

• Maybe , if they don't rub it in all the time.

• yes for sure

• Like what's problem in that?

• intelligence is relative.

• Yeah, I already date one and that's my girlfriend.

• more intelligent* haha

• More from Guys
    8

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 21

• The guy I'm talking to - not dating yet but I would like to be - is currently looking at grad school at Harvard. Granted I'm not stupid either. We're both in the upper ranks of our class for sure but I still think he's smarter than me. I'm just a hard worker. But it doesn't bother me. I like learning and he can teach me stuff

• I enjoy intelligence, when my boyfriend talks about his work, I learn a lot because he is GOOD at his job and knowledgeable and I very much look forward to him talking about it for that reason. So being smarter than I am is no problem.

That said, it's kinda... I don't know what word. Not quite shallow, not quite ignorant or arrogant... just... kinda misinformed? TO say that one person is "smarter" than the other in a relationship. Generally everyone has there areas where they will be more of an expert than others and likewise everyone has their weaker areas. If you actually discuss a wide range of topics with any given person you will find that they are more knowledgeable than you are at something.

• It's subjective. I felt that if I had worded the question, "If you feel a like a person is smarter than you would you still date them?" it would have gotten far fewer responses. Then I wanted to add details in the description to explain that I understand it isn't really that cut and dry, but I still felt that would narrow the number of responses I got.

• Yes. I've dated both and I definitely prefer the guy to be smarter (or at least on my level). I like being able to have deep conversations and learn from an SO

• Either the same amount or more than me otherwise its a huge turn of. And i don't only mean book smart.

• I already am dating someone much smarter than me.

• Yea!

• I'm already doing that, at least I feel like he's smarter than me when it comes to learning things faster.

• I would and I have (in my opinion). It would actually be a turn on. Dating someone who can't hold an intelligent conversation or discuss different perspectives on things is horrible in my experience.

• fuck yes, so much to learn

• INSTANT TURN ON 😍
    Hell yeah!

• Yes... But not someone who's conceited because of it or loves showing themselves off.

• My answer was A. unfortunately I never have

• Yes, why not?

• Married to a genius.
    Not really, but he's very smart, along with all his friends.

• I'm not that smart so hell yea I'll take the smart dewd. But not like genius smart.

• Yes and that is my boyfriend

• I want to date someone smarter than me. I like being the crazy one in the relationship :P

• Sure.

• As long as they're not a complete asshole about their superior intellectual skill

• Yes, my boyfriend is smarter than me and I'm cool with it, plus when we do homework he does the homework while I cuddle with him

• not too much smarter than me cause i would feel dumb