Girls, can a slightly overweight guy get a girlfriend or is it impossible?

I'm a 23 year old student at university. I am very active and love sports like I'll easily do a half - marathon but I also love to cook and eat. That's why even though I'm on a great fitness level I have about 30 pounds to much on the ribs.

I don't like the way it looks and that's why I'm getting rid of it but doing so sustainably takes a long time for me.

I'm wondering if I can still date before I am in perfect shape. I've never met a girl who seemed interested besides one girl who wanted to bang anyone above 6'0 ( I didn't fyi ;) )

In my mind it's absolutely pointless to approach girls, cause funny enough I'm usually attracted to the pretty skinny girls who probably don't want me.

Do you think I should try to date or just try to make friends until I've lost all my weight? ( I don't wanna be known at uni as the disgusting fat dude who hits on girls and doesn't get the hint)

Most Helpful Girl

• Girls, can a slightly overweight guy get a girlfriend or is it impossible?
    A slightly overweight guy can get a girlfriend whether it's a gf he wants is a toss up as I find guys tend to want those (far) more attractive than themselves.

Do you think I should try to date or just try to make friends until I've lost all my weight?
    In my opinion it's suited to do both. As you're a heterosexual male in my opinion you have far more advantages in this regard as you're seemingly held to a much lower beauty/fitness standard and more likely to get a pretty skinny gal for sex/dates/relationships than if you were a slightly overweight guy wanting a hot fit guy.

• Honestly, in my experience the standards for guys aren't any lower. Look at me I have no chance in hell with girls so far and I'm not that fat. But I get your point it's not fair to like a pretty girl and expect her to settle for me. I just can't control who I like.

• I doubt you have no chance in hell with gals so far as it seems you may have a narrow scope due to your attraction to pretty skinny gals.

Meh my point wasn't about fairness as I find fair is irrelevant especially as a gal as I find that generally means getting the short end of the stick.

My point was that you can get a gf whether it's one you want is a toss up, it's suited to date and try to make friends, and that as a hetero male you're more likely to get what you want as things seemed geared for male benefit.

What Girls Said 11

• The guy I'm dating right now dresses in a style that would normally cause me to roll my eyes, turn up my nose, and look the other way. Why am I with him? I couldn't care less about how a guy looks. It's all in how he treats me. Send me a PM, I have several suggestions that may work for you :) Otherwise, good luck!

• I actually work with someone who is in the same boat as you. He says he wants to get some muscle this summer but he's "Too fat" and "needs to lose 30 pounds first". To me I thought he was already pretty fit and I have no idea why he thinks he's fat. It's all in his head and it's probably all in your too. Just be a cool guy and keep trying to make yourself a better person. That's super attractive.

• I actually prefer guys who have a little extra meat on them, as long as they're otherwise healthy. It's better for cuddling! :) I'm sure there are plenty of girls at your school who feel the same.

• Well I will have to look for them then. Do they really exist though?

• Yes... didn't you read my answer? lol. Trust me, there are girls out there who like all kinds of things. Just get out there and find them! Don't be afraid of being shot down. It's happened to me several times with guys (I'm chubby too, but I don't think that was the main reason it didn't work out), but I think I've found a good one this time. ;)

• Its all about what you can offer. Its apparent that looks isn't one of them.
    So just showcase whatever else you have to offer.

• i think you should try to date

• Do you have a tip to approach girls since no girl I ever met seemed interested?

• So girls would not be freaked out if a guy like me approached them?

• I don't understand when you say; like you. If you are referring to the 30lbs you mention. I say no they shouldn't

• Yes, all women like the exact same kinda men, and you stand no chance because you do not live up to beauty standards lol.

of course you can silly, you just need to meet the right girls

• I know a guy who is more than slightly overweight and his gf is hot. It is def possible.

• I don't know how reply to the dating stuff. But I'm sure weight isn't the only thing girls care about.

At least not in my opinion.

• I guess my personality is not that great either towards girls I like cause I get very shy and self-conscious due to my looks.

• Haha. Same. There was this guy I had a crush on. He talked to me one day and I couldn't say anything because I was too shy. I think he's moved on though. :P

• For sure it's possible, especially if the girl knows you are working to get that perfect body!

• I can't really open with that haha would be fun though. Also I can never get the perfect body since some of the things I have done to my body with this extra weight probably will never go away. E.g. I have stretch marks as a man how pathetic is that :(

• None of us will ever get the perfect body! I think since you're that tall, it really isn't a problem. You might not get the girls that are only concerned with perfect looking men, but is that the kind of girl you want anyways?

• As far as girls are concerned I don't have a clear type I just think 'oh hey I like her she's nice'. But sadly those girls have a type and that's not me which is perfectly fine I get that hey want a bf they can be proud of.

• Yes.. Weight doesn't matter

• Do you know the percentage of people who are in "perfect shape"? Do you know the percentage of people who get laid frequently? Because there is a VAST difference between the two statistics. 60% of the population in America is considered overweight. Yes, lol, you can still get a girlfriend. 60% of the population aren't stuck being "forever alone" just because of their weight. :)

What Guys Said 3

• Everyone is attracted to the fit good looking girls. Hence, they're very attractive. Honestly you just have to kick within your coverage until you've lost the weight. Look at all the competition you have around you. If there is one thing colleges don't have a shortage of, it's good looking ripped dudes.

• That's true. But there's way more skinny women here than anything and the other ones don't really give me the time of day either. Like you said lots of ripped dudes every woman can pick from.

• Yeah I know. A lot of guys in my situation are the big funny guy. I'm just not him. I don't like to draw attention to myself probably due to my body. But I'm not an idiot so if a girl gave off any signals I might still realize it

• Godspeed my friend. May you find yourself balls deep in some strange in the foreseeable future.

• I would say go for it. Sure some immature girls want a guy in perfect shape with the abs but those are the immature ones who just want sex (I actually just read a question on this too haha) but if you go for the less popular ones/brainiac ones then you'll be golden.

• At your height, 30lbs is a joke. Go smash some ass, bro!