The true origination of the "white dress"

In this day & age, the bride's white dress has been the showstopper to every wedding. Puffy skirt, or strapless, or gauzy train of fabric behind her, doesn't matter. But it's traditionally the universal color: white.

The true origination of the

Most people have the misconception that white has always been the color a bride wore, to resemble her purity, as tradition held that the woman was to remain a virgin until marriage, despite the sexual history the freedom of masculinity offered the groom during those days.

Surprisingly enough, the white dress was never anywhere close to the universal norm for centuries until the Victorian Era. It had only become recent in the 1800s, when Queen Victoria wanted her wedding gown to consist of some silk that she had bought from Japan, which happened to be white. And of course, whatever the Queen was doing was the trend. This one happened to stick with us.

Queen Victoria's dress, consisting of white Japanese silk

Aside from the misconceived notion that "the bride wore white," she also wore red in Eastern culture, black in Scandinavia, and plenty of other colors. Typically, it was simply her best dress.

A Taiwanese bride adorned in red

So ladies, don't be afraid to rise above the social norm and allow yourself a color that better suits you. You could be so bold as Elle in Legally Blonde 2 and get married in hot pink, or baby pink, peach, whatever! I personally like the idea of a light red, or a shade of blue. Maybe a lovely grey? I don't know. I may just copy the Queen and settle for white. I think bringing back multiple colors for each individual bride would be neat!

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 5

• wow that pic of the Taiwanese bride is so pretty!

• Long ago , my mother told me that white was only for virgin brides, the non-virgin brides wore colors (she said!) That's the BS I heard long ago.

• In India brides use red colour too :-)
    But not Christians however.

• I learned something, thanks.

• Ya know, guys could wear white, and in fact, some often do (which would imply they were also virgins), it's not jsut women... it's just that I think women sort of expect that the man is not going to be a virgin because they write us off as being "sexual". Also, now in days, black is actually a color worn in "forced" marriages. When Kane and Lita got married live on WWE Raw, Kane wore a white suit (don't know why) and she wore black, much to the chagrin of Kane. The reason why they were getting married? She was having his baby, butttt doesn't recall having sex with him. He was drugging her and forcing her in to sex (of course this was all fake as is it's just a show) but a lot of what they were doing is considered true

• I am not a fan of the white tuxes. But if the whole marriage thing for the brides is purity by wearing white, why are we suppose to wear a black tux (normally)

• Couldn't find a source for that but, was the only thing viable that I could find on it

• So, if it's correct... then, the real reason women wear white for their wedding, is to attract attention to them, instead of the man... so we wear black instead of something colorful (flashy)

What Girls Said 8

• very interesting

• Beautiful! It's amazing how many trends have begun with Queen Victoria!

• I think white or cream coloured suits my skin tone best. Technically so does turquoise and coral, but I don't think I'd dare to wear colour that bold.

• The bouquet was originally to hide the smell of the bride too, back when bathing was an annual thing. Like a posey.

• I like the white dress. It's sentimental and completes the look of the ceremony.. =') I like other colours, but I'll still marry in white if I do have a ceremony. I don't care where this began.

• I don't read takes often because they are usually full of incorrect info and opinions, but I really enjoyed this one a lot! It was really interesting :)

• Oo, a silky silver dress would be very pretty! That is a lovely idea =) I never knew that the white dress came from the Queen though; thank you for sharing this knowledge!

• So true. I think a lot of people don't realize it was Victoria who made it popular. He also didn't want her subjects to pay for her dress so that's another reason. If you go back to the middle ages..
    Brides wore whatever was new or acceptable and it worn when returning bride visits so they got more use out of them too.