Not enough alone time spent with boyfriend - Am I asking for too much?

Hi guys. I hope you'll take the time to read my story below as I very rarely explain my situation in details on here. It would help a lot. So my... Show More

Most Helpful Guy

• This is reeeaaallly long, but hopefully it is good solid advice, so please read on. It continues into several comments below.

taster makes a good point that on a positive note, he's clearly not ashamed of you at all and he thinks you fit in well with him and his friends. But obviously that doesn't help with your current problem.

I think you should definitely bring it up. My guess is that it hasn't even occurred to him - he doesn't even realize that you're not spending as much time alone together as you would like. Obviously, spending time alone together isn't a big priority for him, and it seems that sex isn't too high on his priority list either or he would definitely have gone home with you the other night. It might seem obvious to you that many couples spend a lot of time alone together and you would like at least one night a week or something where you can just cuddle up together and maybe get intimate, but he probably hasn't realized this.

It is very difficult to not be accusatory when bringing up a problem that you have with a relationship. I think the best thing to do therefore is to be a little bit accusatory, but also present a solution to the problem. The immediate solution in this instance is pretty simple - 'book in' some time with him when for just the 2 of you. I'm guessing that when you spend time with him and his friends, it's mainly something arranged, like a night out, or a trip to the cinema, maybe playing some sport or something? He fits those things into his schedule because they are pre-arranged - someone suggests something that he likes the sound of, he agrees to it, then works hard the rest of the time so he can fit it in. You need to do the same - suggest something nice for just the 2 of you to do together and book it in/arrange a time & date. You may feel that this shouldn't be necessary, but whether it should be necessary or not is irrelevant for the time being, because the fact is, it is necessary - that's why you wrote your question.

I suggest 2 things you could do together alone: have a romantic evening out or have a sexy night in (there's a chance that the romantic night out will lead to sex, but there's a difference between having sex at the end of a night and having a sexy night in as I'll explain below). Which one you go for depends, I would suggest, on how good the sex is on the odd occasion that you do have time alone. If it's always quite rushed, it's monotonous or it lacks passion and a spark, if it feels more like something that should be done than something you want to do, or if it doesn't involve a raw animalistic love and desire to be as close as possible to your partner, then I would suggest option 2 - a sexy night in. If the sex is generally brilliant and you both really enjoy it, feel really close, and have fun, then you can maybe go for option 1.

Option 1: A romantic night out. Tell your boyfriend that recently you feel you've not been spending as much time alone together as you'd... (continued)...

• ...like and you feel that the romance is slightly suffering because of this (note the difference between "I feel we've not been spending as much time alone together as I'd like" and "I feel YOU've not been spending ENOUGH time alone with me" - wording is very important when it comes to not accusing him of anything which would automatically make him defensive). You could explain what you mean a little bit, perhaps giving the example of the other night and again be careful not to accuse him, ...

• Show Older
    • Done! Good luck!

• Thank you :)