No, I Won't Give You a Happy Ending! What Massage Therapy is Really About

Anonymous

I am currently a student for Massage Therapy. I am in a year long program to meet a certain amount of hours of teaching and massage practice in order to take the state licencing test in order to become certified. When I share what my intended career path is, I get a few sneers, most people either think its a wishy washy job or that it relates to sex work. So here are few things I want to make clear about Massage Therapy

I am not a sex worker

Unfortunately massage therapy has a bad reputation for things like sensual massage and happy endings. Even until fairly recently massage therapy (which I was abbreviate just as MT from now on) was listed under the "Adult Entertainment" section of the phone book. But MT really is just THERAPY. Not only is it unethical, but illegal. Those who seek out sensual massages are uneducated about what a massage is really used for beyond relaxing. If you lay on my table and try to get a sensual massage, I will immediately stop the session, tell you to get dressed and leave. I will also call up other MTs and warn them about you.

Sex work has damaged the practice and continues to do so.

This one seems like a no brainer right? Of course being in a profession with a bad reputation is going to give you a hard time. But its so much more. Unfortunately even today many small massage businesses stand as a front for human trafficking. This causes many issues. Of course human trafficking is horrid any way you slice it. But these fronts take business away from individual practitioners. Many clients view independent licenced massage therapists (LMT) as "shady". these clients will rely on commercial MT businesses like Massage Green, La Vida and Massage Envy. Because of this the average pay for a LMT decreases. Its too difficult to gain enough clientele for reliable income so many have to join these commercial businesses that take advantage of that and give less pay.

Additionally, as a LMT, I'm not going to know everything. I will be attempting to create a network with other massage therapists. So for example, I have a lovely client who comes to me for regular massages but she becomes pregnant. I don't specialize in prenatal massage. I would then refer her to another massage therapist who does specialize in prenatal care and perhaps infant massage. In my creation of a referral network, I could very well run into one of these "LMT's" who is actually a victim of human trafficking. These front businesses obtain fraudulent licences for their "MT's". As I continue my education, it includes courses on how identify is someone is a victim of human trafficking and how to help them.

It's not an easy certification

My MT program lasts about a year before I can get certified. I'm not learning just how to rub a back either. I have to know the human anatomy intimately. I also have to take courses in Pathology and Physiology. Clients could be coming to me with very serious issues, I have to be able to identify what I can and cannot do with this client. For example, edema (basically swelling and inflammation of tissues, much like in a bloat like fashion) seems like "Oh, I should massage this, get the fluid thats trapped to move..." when really doing so could just make the condition worse. Or what f they have lymph issues? What if they have lymph issues and don't know? As a LMT you have to be able to identify conditions and know how to address them without causing harm.

On top of these more medical classes I also have to take multiple business, ethics and psychology classes.

A year of schooling before getting into your career doesn't seem like long right? Well, for starters its a intense program. Plus, my education doesn't stop there. My certification guarantees that I know Swedish and Deep Tissue, that's it. Yet there are so many special and specific massages. Reiki , Thai, Shiatsu , Side Lying, Aromatherapy, Craniosacal, Myofacial, Reflexology and the list goes on. While I can take a 4 to 16 hour course on such techniques, I am not certified in those techniques, I've simply specialized my focus. So I can legally use the techniques, but I cannot say that I am certified. However, I can become certified in any of the mentioned methods. But that's more time and money to add those to my business card. I could even pursue equine massage or canine massage!

It's not all just nice music and soothing touches

People actually see LMTs for real medical issues. For example, my mother had cancer, over time her veins hardened and made chemo so much harder. They would bring in LMTs to work with patients hands and feet to get them to relax enough so a nurse could get a needle in. Post operation, MT helped my mother heal with less scar tissue both internally and externally. And even now, my mother needs MT to relieve her pain caused by surgery over extending her arm, pinching and damaging the nerves. A person with scoliosis can see a Chiropractor all they want but their treatments are less effective if not used in junction with MT. Hence why many Chiropractors hire a LMT to work in their offices. Same can be said with Physical Therapy.

It's a profession that is hard on the body

Some of the people that need MT work the most are LMT's. Without proper body mechanics and techniques the average LMT reaches professional burnout after only about 3 to 5 years. Many LMTs end up with early and severe arthritis and carpal tunnel since the hands are used so much. A full time LMT sees about 10 to 20 patients a week for 1 to 2 hours. 40 hours of pressure on your fingers and wrists.

Clients can become emotional

No ever expects to have a panic attack during a massage. However LMTs have to be prepared if a client has an emotional release on the table. For example, a client comes to me not knowing they have repressed feelings from trauma they experienced as a child. The massage is going fine until I grasp my clients wrist to move their arm, suddenly they are over come with emotion and launch into a panic attack. They might not even know why, but their subconscious associated the touch with the physical trauma they experienced when they were young. Sometimes they could have flash backs or simply not expect their body to react in such a way.

Professional Psychologists have even suggested to those with physical trauma to seek massage therapy for therapeutic touch. They aren't accustomed to kind touch. A LMT can work with a patient and their boundaries, reintroducing a caring touch to the mind.

For some, MT is spiritual. I have experienced this in combination with meditation, using MT as a guide to keep in touch with my body. Some MT uses energy work to keep flow the bodies energy and chakras. I personally am not in tune with energy work per say, but many people find it effective.

I don't care about your acne or hair but please shower

Before my course started, I dreaded having to shave my legs all through winter. But I was pleasantly surprised to find that NO ONE CARES. We all are working with the human body and therefore know what kind of conditions come with that, and one of them is body hair. Even if you are especially hairy, you can still get a massage. If oil pulls your hair too much, a LMT can use corn starch or baby powder in place of oil.

Many people don't see MT as working your muscles, but it is. Depending on how intense the massage is, you can start sweating. The last thing your MT wants is to be gagging on your stink. Also, if you shower before your appointment, your muscles will already be in their first step in relaxing so your massage will be more effective and your MT can fit more work into your session

Don't waste my time

If you show up 15 minutes late to your hour appointment, you will not be getting a hour long massage, you'll get a 45 min massage. It's not that hard of a concept but if it is too hard for you to understand, I will fire you as a client. I will not make an exception for you, it punishes my client after you.

Have any other questions about Massage Therapy? Ask away!

17
6

Most Helpful Girl

• TheINTJ
    I looove getting massages. I used to be iffy about the thought of it, but my mom somehow managed to convince me to get one with her. Once I experienced how professional the therapist was, all my discomfort went away and I now regularly get one — I actually have an appointment tomorrow, yay! I enjoy it so much that I find myself wishing by the end of my session that it could go on for like 3 hours, but then I think of how taxing on the body even just an hour of nonstop massaging must be for the therapist and it makes me feel kinda bad, so thank you very much for your hard work!
    Is this still revelant?
    • Anonymous

Your body would probably ache too after three hours!😅

• TheINTJ

Oh yeah, that's true. My upper back / shoulder area was overworked once and it kinda ached the next day. X)

• Anonymous

Its actually pretty normal to be a little sore after a massage. If you find you don't really enjoy that feeling I suggest telling your massage therapist that you just want to relax and zone out for a while that you're not really looking for much muscle work.

Most Helpful Guy

• Anonymous
    I love you guys. nothing feels better in the world than when I go to get a rub down from a pro. :) I feel sorry for u though cuz I know about all the pervs wanting to "get off" while u rub them. That's gotta be super awkward. It's amazing how many people can't separate their daily porn from real life.
    Is this still revelant?
    • Anonymous

I knew some guys would be very upset that their fantasies are destroyed. But thank you for your kind words!

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

516
  • yaanis
    Nice writeup, but you alweys have thing for taking stuff to extreams? Or you just love to attack guys who say there optinion? Personality i dont give a shit about what other do with there bodies, so if bouth want happy ending, by all means let them have it. So now you can start shitting iver me if you want.
    • Anonymous

Because it's people like that that make it harder for me to find a job and forces me to take a lower pay. Sorry if I don't like people messing with my means of income

• yaanis

Then choose diferent income, and from what i see here, massages with happy ending isn't your bigest problem, but your attitude towards people, and total disregard towards human body functions.

• Anonymous

Disreguard to body functions is very different than calling people put on their crap for supporting the attitude that lets sex trafficking thrive. Like whats si hard to understand?

• Okay, that was an interesting read but I have just one stupid question. Are there massage therapies including the happy ending part anywhere else? Because that's what I'd be looking for since I'm a virgin.
    • Anonymous

Maybe in other counties. But in 3rd world countires, it's illegal and you'll likely never be serviced unless its through a human trafficking front. And frankly you're a crap person if you want to utilize those fronts and support human trafficking.

• Stop being so judgmental. You probably don't know me or my story and why I need an erotic massage therapy since you're anonymous.

I think I saw a local erotic massage service.

• Anonymous

So support human trafficking that supports forcing people to do sex work against their will? Yeah, I'll judge you for being a piece of trash.

• JudgmentDay
    In regards to "It's a profession that is hard on the body"

I was think what about automatic massagers or robotic or electronic massage equipment, will they help reduce the strain on a LMT's hands?

And if you think it's less pay now, what about in the future?
    Even massages can become automated as seen here for example:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88pQabwQiCc

Do you think this will also have a significant impact on MTs in the future as well?

There's already many electric massage devices on the market. Although from what I've read they are typically either

1. Shiatsu or kneading massagers with rolling balls or
    2. Vibration massagers, no rolling balls.

And don't forget about massage chairs such as coin-operated massage chairs like this one:

sc01.alicdn.com/.../...mercial-Vending-Massage.jpg

I remember seeing one locally at a mall, although I have not tried it yet.

Any advantages or disadvantages you want to tell me about between getting massages from LMT compared to using electrical automatic massaging equipment and devices?
    • Anonymous

The chair massagers that exist today cannot assess an individual's body like a real person can. A automatic massager cannot do body mechanics because it cannot assess a person's body shape and size to find a specific muscles origin and insertion. Massage therapist utilizes origin and insertion of a muscle to force the muscle to relax. Also massage therapy is more than just rubbing it involves moving the client's body doing resistance forces and practicing stretching. Often a client's body is not the same on each side one side may need extra work in a certain area or may need deeper pressure a machine is not going to be able to assess that and the client does not always know that is what they need.

However using automatic massagers is not a bad thing. It can offer very general work and make you feel good. For more intense things you will need to see a real person

• I see. Thanks for the advice!

• i1T2daty
    I think there are some tantricas and dakinis out there who are pros. It's pretty difficult to feel righteous anger when an attractive woman is jerking you off. I would simply make it clear that you are, like the majority of masseuses, performing therapeutic and not erotic services.
  • Massageman
    I am a Licensed Massage Massage Therapist with 25 years experience so I can relate. I had developed a handout for my students explaining the difference between sensual and sexual. [ FYI: I've taught MT, medical terminology, kines, CPR, etc, was a founding LMT for a new branch of a Wisconsin 5* spa whose name you would recognize instantly, worked with a DC, and run a private practice ] . Unfortunately, the word "sensual" has been thrown under the bus and gotten a bad rap. ALL massages are sensual (of or pertaining to the senses) in that they rely on the senses to be effective. We turn down lights and outside noises, add music, warm sheets, soft music , aromatic oils, and add structured pressure to focus on various senses to bring a beneficial result. BUT, sensual is NOT sexual! Unfortunately, the work "sensual" has picked up the meaning of the word "sexual" (of or pertaining to sex) which is a boundary no-no for our work, as you pointed out. I make it a point to take a majority of my CEU's in Woman Issue classes, since about 3/4 of my clients are female. by the way - pre-natal is not a problem- just do most of the work side-lying, stay off the fetus, and use only use grapeseed oil. Look forward to more exchange here with you.
  • HungLikeAHorsefly
    Okay, I get the happy ending thing but what if I find it therapeutic to grab your ass whenever you're in reach?
    • Anonymous

Then thats sexual assault and charges will be pressed against you

• That doesn't sound very therapeutic at all.

• Anonymous

Troll

• Tony_1693
    Well it doesn't help your case when literally every massage therapist I've ever had has offered to stroke my dick half way into what I thought was a legitimate massage lol.
    • Anonymous

Illegitimate practitioners are everywhere, thats my point. I hope you reported the activity and realize that its illegal.

• yaanis

So selling your own body is ilegal? Are you from midle east or what? In what way selling your body is ilegal, befor saying you should check your fakts!

• Tony_1693

One of them asked me for money and I told her I don't need to pay for sex. She ended up sucking my dick for free anyways and I wasn't about to not get my dick sucked.. ya kna?

• curiousnorway
    Nice MyTake! : ) Actually I didn't know these misconceptions was a thing and I've honestly never heard about the happy ending thing before now. It's nice you gives the right information and tries to get rid of these silly misconceptions.
  • Danielstairclimber
    why do you say unfortunately sex work has damaged it. It has improved it. A happy ending is better than a sad ending. you are limiting your earning potential by not endorsing sex work and happy endings lol.
    • Anonymous

You clearly can't read 🤣

• I read it all

• Anonymous

Then your comprehension skills are impaired

• Paris13
    Block any Smart asses, I commend you Here, dear.
    Congrats!! xxoo
    • Anonymous

Thank you much! I'm honestly not surprised that its the men getting upset

• Paris13

Thank you for the Like and Yes, but I see One, girlie who is "No Kneed to Know."xx

• CT_CD
    I am a massage therapist and I always give happy endings and I don't even charge extra. I will put you out of business.
    • Anonymous

Troll

• AlwaysBelieving
    Thank you for posting this.

I'm VERY ticklish and did have a difficult time with massages. I also thought WAY too much and thought of "oh crap, what would the person think if I happen to get a hard on during the massage session?" (I'm not into happy ending BTW).

As a result, I stopped going (it was Massage Envy BTW).

Could you comment on that please?
    • Anonymous

Its not uncommon for a client who falls asleep to get half mast and it fades away pretty quickly.
      If you are that worried just tell them you prefer to stay face down for the session and engage in the "naked grandma" method if you need to.

And if does happen and its obvious. Just be real about it. Apologize and end the session. Tell them it was unintentional and that you understand if they are too uncomfortable to work on you. They might say that they understand but still are too uncomfortable to work with you and perhaps refer you to someone else. If you think having a male LMT is better to avoid an awkward situation, its ok to ask for a male LMT when you make your appointment.

• Anonymous

Also a tip for ticklish areas, tell them you're ticklish but encourage deeper pressure in those areas. Often the ticklish areas can become desensitized.

• Thanks for the tips. I've actually become MORE sensitive (ticklish) as I've gotten older (I can actually tickle myself now. I spilled hot water on the left side of my abs a few years ago (being careless really / not thinking) and now it looks like a medium steak. I thought that would burn some of the nerve endings. Turns out that area is even more sensitive now.

I've just gotta hope that the future gal in my life is an MT / willing to learn massage techniques... LOL

• EllieAyye
    Honestly, it's the therapists that are the problem in my opinion. Massages are awesome if you get the right person. But a lot of therapists are unprofessional because some are young or inexperienced. I had a therapist tell me about her going into menopause and being an emotional wreck, then I had one who thought my hair was so thick and gorgeous that she kept stroking her [oiled] fingers through it. And as a black woman, I can't have certain products in my hair because it's a different type of hair. I had to go home and wash my hair for the second time that day because that idiot ran her nasty fingers through it. Or I told another one I was a teacher and as SOON as I said that, her next statement was, "Oh really? Well, that explains why you need a massage, having to deal with other peoples bastard kids."

Like, come on, I've only had a massage so many times but some of these therapists need to be trained on things other than the anatomy and types of massages.
    • Anonymous

That does sound unprofessional and I'm not sure why they would behave that way. I will say however that there is massage methods that involve moving the scalp and pulling the clients hair in order to loosen the tissue there since you can't really grab the skin to pull. However the therapist shouldve started with that so no oil was on her hands yet.

Unfortunately some schools are more advanced than others and those who do not go through a great school may not have had to take ethics and business classes. in my opinion it should always be included but unfortunately it isn't.

I hope you keep looking for a therapist that clicks with you. Dont be afraid to tell them "I prefer not to be chatty during my massage"

• dizmuhjam
    Getting a professional massage therapy is heaven. I get one once every 2 weeks, because I work part time at a grocery store that is cooperating with a self employed 62 years old Massage Lady that does it since she's 15. So she is super experienced. She also told me she's a natural healer, she always have some home remedy based on oats and different kinds of salts for every kind of desease. Anyways I dont care about that healer stuff, she is a massage master sent by heaven and I always book an hour XD So yeah there is a big difference between a simple sexworker giving a massage with a cheap happy end, and someone who actually studied this science of a proper massage therapy.
    • Anonymous

It's funny that you mention that. There is one instructor at my school who is quite elderly but when a client gets on the table she can move their body around like nobody's business and apply pressure like you wouldn't believe. She's done it for a very long time and she knows her stuff.

• dizmuhjam

Yeah its exactly like her haha ^^ Mine doesn't work at a school as a instructor though. She works from home for 70 € per hour. And let me tell you, this woman knows how to live. That house must've been hella expensive.

And every 2 weeks she comes to our store to massage the workers there. The Boss is paying 75% and the employee pays the other 25%. I think this is worth it.

• cupidkisses
    I need you :D
    • Anonymous

Seek one out! As much as it sounds like i trash talk commercial places, they aren't that bad from a client perspective. They usually are fairly affordable

• lumos
    Thank you for the work you do. :)
  • Anonymous
    If you are East Asian, I expect a happy ending from you (otherwise I am not coming back). If you are any other race or ethnic group, I don't (because when I book with you, I do it with the intention of getting a legit massage). Simple as that.
    • Anonymous

Racist and a sexual predator

• Anonymous
    I thought it was easy certification wow
    • Anonymous

It used to be and then people realized you could actually hurt someone if you didn't know enough about the human body.

• Anonymous

Wow that's good then caz I know a lot of foreigners work at massage parlors. If they hit a pressure point things can go wrong

• Anonymous

I mean if they're in the US, they should have a licence to practice, unfortunately thay doesn't always happen. As a client, never be afraid to ask to see certification.

• Anonymous
    No happy ending? I’ll stick with my Turkish Massage girl. Probably cheaper too.
    • Anonymous

I'm surprised how many men are so butt hurt about this mytake. Men are so fragile.

• Anonymous

Butt hurt? I’m just sticking to my massage girl. Maybe you’re butt hurt, leave the real massages to the pros

• Anonymous

😂🤣😂🤣😂

• Anonymous
    I am a massage therapist for a gym in a university town and I get many young female students... I WOULD give happy endings if I could.
    But I don't want to risk a sexual assault charge from some "regret" tart who decides to grow morals after the fact.
    But I have made girls orgasm without touching their genitals and that is good enough.
    • Anonymous

Sounds like you're a disgusting person and YOU are the reason why the profession gets such a bad rep. I feel sorry for the clients that see you.

• Anonymous

It's easy to stand on your high horse about things you aren't biologically programmed to understand, I am sure the view from up there is really nice.
      But the profession gets a bad rap from WOMEN who ACTUALLY do sexual things, not men like myself who simply enjoy my job.
      You know as much as I do that if there was a very attractive male that you had to rub down, mentally you would be just as aroused by it.

So pleeeeeeease, check yourself and your moral hipocracy before trying to shame someone else for natural human sexual interest.

• Anonymous

You don't think men are forced into human trafficking?
      You don't think men do sex work?
      Sounds like you're the uneducated one.
      And no, I wouldn't be aroused. I dont get going for any person with a dick. Nor do I want that response on my table. Sounds like you're shallow and desperate for interactions with the opposite sex.

• Anonymous
    It's not uncommon for a "massage therapist" to give a guy or girl a happy ending for a little extra even In the most respectable places at least in my experience. Once she's got you aroused she will proposition you to massage your penis for you in exchange for extra cash.
    • Anonymous

Actually it is uncommon... and illegal

• UNcommon? Well what world do you live in? and it should not be any more illegal than a simple massage. its legal literally everywhere else

• Anonymous

@Danielstairclimber

It's actually not. Please look at the big picture and educate yourself before spewing crap about stuff that you know nothing about