Would you date someone with a rough past?

For example, a girl who was abused by a past lover, or raped/molested by someone... Or a guy who was abused by an ex. Or someone who was getting over depression. Would you pick them up off their feet and teach them how to love again? Would you give them a chance?

• Yes, I would date someone with a rough past.
  • No, I wouldn't date someone with a rough past.
  • Maybe, I would give them a chance.
  • It depends on what their past was.
  • Other.

Most Helpful Guy

• I had a rough past myself. At my age, many people might laugh and assume I'm talking about school.

No. I struggle with depression, anxiety, and suicidal tendencies. I had a rough childhood and from 11-14, all hell broke loose in my life. Pretty much on a downhill slope. I understand how a rough past can easily shape a person, and how it might affect them negatively, and I'm willing to stand by them through it as a friend or a boyfriend.

Most Helpful Girl

• My boyfriend was emotionally abused by his ex, she'd threaten to kill herself if he broke up with her, she'd hold a knife to her throat or send him pictures of herself with her legs dangling off a high building or bridge if he didn't do whatever she said. She was really manipulative and cruel and I had no idea I was even sort of friends with her! Now every time I freak out about somethingI am terrified I am reminding him or his ex but he's still so understanding. I was absolutely heart broken when my cat died and I told him I was "sorry for acting so crazy" and he just help me and said "You just had to watch your cat pass away unexpectedly! This is completely understandable to be freaking out over! this is nothing compared to what I used to deal with". Everyone has baggage I don't care how young you are, everyone does. I was attacked and stabbed and nearly raped a 15 and I have some issues my boyfriend has to deal with too. I have a scar on my arm and it pains him to look at it and know how I got it.

What Guys Said 8

• I would but I'd be careful because a buddy of mine got in a sticky situation where he wanted to break up with her but she threatened to kill herself if she did...

• Have in the past. Would again... My own past was pretty 'rough', and I would hate to think people would be turned away just because they have some nasty shit in their emotional baggage.

• I dated someone with a rough present (then)

• Yes, I'm more likely to date a girl with rough past cause i went through so much

• I hope people do cause otherwise I'm headed for a lonely life having suffered with social anxiety and depression

• I would, but if she's really clsoed off I'd probably just move on fast.

• Yes, I would. Just because any relationship you have may be hard doesn't mean you give up. I would hope any girl I date in the future would show me the same compassion.

I had an ex who opened up about her past a month or two after we got together. She made me swear that I wouldn't tell anybody and I will take to the grave what she told me.

• I myself have had a tough past so I would say yes

What Girls Said 10

• Of course I'd date them!
    I'd actually wanna show them what happiness feels like, not make them my project, but just try to make them happy even more..

• Depends on how they've dealt with that past.

• Yes, because everyone has issues and some kind of "rough" past. I have severe depression and anxiety and I would hate for someone to label me by simply by my mental issues. Yes I have had episodes in the past but I am healing, and getting better. :)

• That is me all the way. The guy I'm dating seems to be intrigued and very attracted to the fact that I have and continue to struggle.

• Yes, I would. I would try my best, to make him trust me. I'll always be there for him

• Depends , but yeah

• Yes, ofcoarse. I would be a coward to leave a guy because of his past.

• It depends on how they handle it

• you have to be able to trust them. and i already have trust issues so it would totally just depend on what their past was.

• yes, i would.