Is it true: once a liar always a liar?

I have been dating this guy for almost a year and known him for two years. the things is when I started dating him I didn't know he was a liar. what... Show More

Most Helpful Opinion

• Well, lets face facts.

Everyone lies.

Everyone.

The important part is his intentions. Is he lying as 'social lubricant' (for example - make himself look better or to avoid embarrassment or an argument). Or is he lying to cover up wrongdoings? (for example- covering up how late he worked so you don't see the 2 hour gap he spent shagging his ex girlfriend).

If it is the first scenario - let it go. Everyone does this kind of lying.

If it is the second - dump him. This is a serious problem that goes beyond honesty and into fidelity, etc.

I know you are 'In love with him'. And I know that it can hurt to do the right thing. But I would suggest that you are just on here asking this question because you are searching for some kind of validation. You are hoping someone is going to say: 'yeah, stay with the bloke'. But I think that the fact that you are asking this question means that you know you probably shouldn't be with him.

Love at your age shouldn't be this much work. If it is this much work and you are agonizing this much now - where will your relationship be in 10-15 years?

If you don't think that you will be together that long ...then why bother putting up with the crap?

You will only ever be treated as badly as you allow someone to treat you.

Do you want to allow someone to continuously lie to you about serious issues?

The choice is up to you - but a wrong choice could mean losing precious time from your life that could be spent being happier.