Would you ever leave a partner because they gained significant weight?

I can't imagine what it is like to be THIS big!
It is PC approved to say that appearance doesn't matter and OF COURSE we shouldn't "fat shame" anyone. That means that you aren't supposed to have any negative thoughts or feelings towards anyone just because they weigh as much as a baby elephant. That's a wonderfully exalted and elegant theory of the way things ought to be but it simply fails to account for the real world.

For real people, appearance is a big factor in physical attraction. I am attracted to some women and not others; I like petite, diminutive women who have a cute face. I am not attracted to significantly overweight women. You can send me to a PC re-education center and have me sit through sensitivity training classes until the cows come home
and I still won't be attracted to seriously overweight women. I have dated women who were 10-20 pounds overweight but that is the limit for me. I never told a girl that I did not want to date her because of her size, but I never dated a girl who I thought was abnormally large.

Fortunately, none of my partners in long term relationships ever gained any substantial weight while we were together. I'm not sure that I would have left them because of that. I probably would have talked to them, inquired about possible depression, medical conditions causing weight gain, offered to help them with dieting and exercise, etc. But I don't think I could stay in a relationship with a woman who was 5' 4" and 190 pounds.

Could you do it? Could you stay with a partner if they gained a significant amount of weight?

(SJW's: If you don't like what I said, I don't want to hear from you! Save you opinion for someone who actually cares about what you think.)
  • Weight does not affect my attraction to a potential partner
  • I actually prefer a partner who "has some meat on their bones"
  • I prefer a partner who is not overweight but I would never leave them because of weight gain, even if they had no desire or motivation to lose the weight
    Vote C
  • I prefer a partner who is not overweight but I would never leave them because of weight gain, unless they gained 50 pounds or more and refused to try to lose it
    Vote D
  • I prefer a partner who is not overweight but I would never leave them because of weight gain, unless they gained 25 pounds or more and refused to try to lose it
    Vote E
  • I prefer a partner who is not overweight but I would never leave them because of weight gain, unless they gained 15 pounds or more and refused to try to lose it
    Vote F
  • I prefer a partner who is not overweight and if they gain any substantial weight, that relationship is history!
    Vote G
Attention SJW and White Knight preachers: I asked you to not respond, but you have ignored that, so. . . if you post anything attacking others who say that the physical appearance of their partner is important, please begin your first post with a disclosure of your current weight and height. I think it is important for us to know whether you are an overweight person with "a chip on your shoulder." If you don't post the disclosure, I will probably block you as soon as I see your post.

5148

Most Helpful Girl

• Well, for me, yes. I would eventually leave him. I think being attractive physically is part of why I date him in the first place. Of course, it's not 100% of why I would date a guy but it is part of it. When you lose part of that, it doesn't mean we place a priority on your looks over EVERYTHING else. When something changes, nothing is the same anymore. The relationship eventually fades off. It's not our fault (or any girls' fault) if we decide to leave a man because of his weight gain. That's just how it is, we don't feel the same way towards you and that is how we feel. Period.

• Exactly! This is an MHO answer!

• I have... I am a single parent as a result , I packed her off back to her parents and took majority custody. It's actually easier being a lone parent , than having her around , I always ran the household /did all chores , no different from before , she did nothing and was more a burden than an asset... apart from her earnings.

• @FatherJack So you didn’t leave her because she got fat, you left her because she got inconsiderate and selfish. That’s different and completely reasonable.