Who is more shallow, men or women?

• Men
  • Women
  • They are equally shallow

Most Helpful Guy

• Men

Women may be more materialistic, but there is a difference between that and being shallow. Shallow implies that you care about status or that your inherent sense of worth is connected with trivial material things. This tendency is much more common in men who care about status and what others think about them.

Women on the other hand are materialistic simply because they enjoy material things and may be a bit simpleminded. Their reasons are not necessarily shallow though like men.

• "Women may be more materialistic"

"Shallow implies that you care about status or that your inherent sense of worth is connected with trivial MATERIAL THINGS"

Explain. And women do care a great deal about status.

• @the_rake No, it doesn't have to be a high status, but rather self confidence (this shows subconciously that you're a strong man who can protect his family).
      Why do you think most women go for the bad guys? Because nowadays jerks are showing confidence while nice guys tend to be so discouraged by the others so they become self conscious. An assertive guy will attract more women than a shy guy almost any time.
      And I don't know what to say about looks being less shallow than this, you have to invest money in your looks anyway if you weren't so lucky to be born with attractive features.

• @Heera

'No, it doesn't have to be a high status, but rather self confidence '

Status, dominance and confidence are strongly related concepts. Wealth ties into status also, because a person with a good profession and wealth = strong socioeconomic status. That's why the LMS triad is a simplification, but guys tend to use it anyway because there isn't any current theory that better explains the irrationalities of female attraction.

'I don't know what to say about looks being less shallow than this, '

It's equally shallow but more insidious. See my takes:

www.girlsaskguys.com/.../a25912-when-focussing-on-the-internal-attributes-of-a-man-is-not-a-good-thing
      www.girlsaskguys.com/.../a26307-so-what-if-guys-only-care-about-looks

What Guys Said 19

• I wouldn't use the word shallow per say... but women are definitely more materialistic. Like crows... you gotta shine to catch their eye.
    Guys do care about physical appearance a lot but are willing to bypass that if there's a solid enjoyable personality.
    With women, personality only goes so far, it has to come with everything else under the sun, most of which are contradictory opposites of each other.
    plus, how many guys have you heard that have turned down girls before because of appearance... compare that to the amount of times girls have turned guys down before they could even utter a word. the ratio is ridiculous.

• Women are by far

• Seriously... it's women by FAR!

Some men may talk a big game about how they want XYZ in a girl, but in reality almost every man will take any decent looking girl that likes him back!

#100 #RealTalk

• women by a country mile. when you actually put into perspective even some of the things they find attractive it becomes apparent.

• Men when it comes to looks, women when it comes to to resources.

*yes, these are generalizations and do not apply to all.

• Women. Us men tend to know this because we date women. Women don't know shit about women like us guys do.

• Lol yes men know sooo much about women... that's BS.

• It isn't bullshit. You do not date women to know what you're like.
      We date women, and we see what women are like a lot of the time.

• It seems like men are, but it's probably about equal.

• Women are more shallow and more materialistic

• Physical attraction is a necessity in any sexual relation

• Uhhh.. generalizations, aren't these fun. The women, obviously.

• Woman expect more

Guys only care about your looks but they are open about it.

• guys care about personality too. No guys is going to stick around with a woman who is boring or is a total bitch.

• @BubbleBoy69 yeah true but I honestly could date a bitchy girl. it fits with my personality. But I get what your saying.

• I've dated both and in my experience, men.

• I DUNNO. EQUALISH.

• Both are equally shallow.

• Women are, the poll once again proves that women won't admit the bad traits that are more prevalent in their gender. Women are more shallow fact of life.

• Well if online dating research is true then women by a mile.

• This question was asked before:

Men requirements for a girl to be in relationship with him:
    1. Be loyal
    2. Be kind and show love towards him
    3. Don't be a bitch or crazy
    4. Be attractive (to him at least)
    5. Don't be fat (Just requires self control).
    6. Don't be clingy
    7. Don't be controlling

Women's requirement for a man to be in relationship with her:
    1. Make more money than her.
    2. Be popular or of high social status.
    3. If 1) or 2) are lacking then you must be better looking (nice face~Genetic) than her
    4. Must have nice car, house, and any other material possesion you can fathom to show your wealth
    5. Must dress nice and have nice clothes.
    6. Must be certain height and race (genetic).

www.girlsaskguys.com/.../q1819614-men-or-women-whose-more-shallow

• Dear god... pleeaseee study a little psychology before stating "facts" like this.
      Also, the things you said girls are into are just a 14 yo girl's unrealistic expectations while being the biggest one direction fan.
      Men are subconciously looking for healthy women that are able to carry their children (this translates to finding good looking women more attractive because they percieve them as healthier)
      Women are subconciously looking for men that are able to take care of the family (this translates to being attracted to more assertive/ambitious or wealthy men)
      Now media has a great impact on both genders trying to affect people's perception of good looking people.

• @Heera And you would be wrong if you think it only applies to 14 yr old girls or most girls grow out of it. I can go on several 20+ yr old girls FB profiles right now and within their pics they have some profile pic of some male model they adore with little selfie hearts.

• Well I'm sorry to hear that honestly. I guess I'm lucky I don't know people like this.
      Anyways that kind of women don't deserve attention anyway so they're not an actual loss.

• From what I've encountered it's most definitely women unless we're talking about manginas.

• Women are. Guys put more emphasis on looks. Women put more emphasis on everything else.

• Ummm, I think you are misunderstanding the meaning of shallow. Shallow = cares most about looks.

• shallow
      The act of judging people by their looks, monetary status, clothes or car, rather than looking deep inside at their heart, personality, etc.

• Shallow isn't only about looks.

What Girls Said 16

• Shallow- Judging a person based strictly on looks, not factoring in their personality whatsoever.
    It's difficult to say as both sexes are shallow, in very different ways.

Sure, women may be more easily wooed by material things. Largely owing to societal norms such as men paying for meals, being the ones to buy their girl some fancy Valentine's/birthday gifts, etc.. Women also will prefer a better looking guy than a not so attractive one, which would seem like a logical conclusion. Not shallow, though. You could say that women 'don'f factor in a man's personalty and only care about his appearance/income' but ni doing that, you're just upholding a classic female stereotype.
    Do you mean to tell me that I didn't consider my boyfriend's personality as crucial, ir not more important than anything else before we got together?

Men are superficial as well. Perhaps not so much when it comes to materialistic things but I'm sure we've all heard the average male's conversation with friends, and how a large portion of them will involve commenting on how a girl is a 'dime', 'nice tits', a 'butterface', etc.. All of which are comments involving their judgement and value they place on a woman's appearance.
    Not once have I heard a guy saying 'yeah, she's okay. A bit chubby and tits are kinda saggy but... we get along so well. She's a great girl so maybe I'll give things a try.

• Men and women are both equally shallow. But honestly, it really isn't shallow in the first place. Both react the same way, but it is so often referred to in negative ways.

People cannot help how they naturally feel/react to something. Women are constantly vilifying men who won't go out with overweight women. But a man cannot help the fact that he does not find an overweight woman to be attractive. Some do, don't get me wrong. What I am saying is that whatever a person is turned off by, they cannot help that fact.

Although I will admit that a slight percentage less women turn down men because of looks. But that percentage is more than compensated due to the fact that they will turn down a man who has no job, no car, and/or lives at home with his parents. Men, the majority of them, will not turn down a woman for these reasons. These are just as exterior as looks, but women often advocate that them turning down a man based on these reasons is okay because they claim that a man lacking these things indicates a personality trait that they do not find attractive. Well, the same argument can be made for women who cannot control their eating. But again, women are not wrong for not wanting to date such a man. They cannot help that they are turned off by a man lacking these things. Neither is a man for rejecting a woman due to looks. But women who are under the mistaken impression that men are more shallow, need to recognise that if it can be referred to as shallow, then women are just as much so.

• I was just reading something that I figure is relevant.

This is an analysis of OkCupid messages received by men and women of varying degrees of attractiveness.
    Granted, the 2 most attractive women got SO many more messages than any of the other women.
    However, all but the least attractive woman received more messages than the MOST attractive man.

jonmillward.com/.../results-after-4-months.png

jonmillward.com/.../

Granted, this is when it comes to APPROACHING someone. It seems that while men are much more likely to approach beautiful women than women who are less beautiful, but still more likely to approach less beautiful women than women are likely to approach men at all. It takes a VERY attractive man for women to approach at all.

So it seems that men are simultaneously *more* shallow and *less* shallow.

• @the_rake see, look at all the men who constantly bash women.

I'd say both. You have guys who don't care about the rest of the woman as long as she's hot, and there are women who don't care about the rest of the man as long as he has money. That's shallowness.

I feel that people throw the word "shallow" too easily. Wanting to be with someone attractive IS NOT shallow. ONLY wanting them because they are attractive IS shallow.

• www.girlsaskguys.com/.../q2020479-would-you-dump-your-girlfriend-boyfriend-if-they-became-overweight

Look at the responses. And yet men are still adamant to claim women are shallow -_-

• @the_rake eh. Yes but not as likely. Your question was more obviously trolly

• yeah, but the trolls don't necessarily care if the question is trolly or not

• Why even ask questions like this? There are enough arguments about gender on here without instigating questions.

• Oh I'm sorry, I didn't know you were the question police. I'm new here, so give me a break!

• I don't really know. I've met shallow men and women, but definitely a lot more shallow men. Don't you know by asking questions like this the men on here will jump to attack women in every way, shape and form? They're in denial and don't want to accept anything.

• I don't understand why everyone is making everything about their all-important pride. You can't generalize women as shallow just like you can't generalize men as shallow. We are all individuals, and in the end we are all different people.

• What you call shallow some people might call discriminating. I wish I knew where these buzzwords came from. They're just ways of guilting people. Everyone wants to be attractive and find someone they find attractive. That isn't shallow because you can be attractive, intelligent, and thoughtful... it's about the whole package.

• No, psychologically speaking, men are more shallow then women when it comes to physical looks by nature (trying to find good looking females to reproduce with as beautiful women are considered subconciously healthier) . But because of media, both genders became even more shallow having unrealistic expectations.

• Why ask a question like this when it's obvious that everyone will vote the opposite sex?

• Men are more shallow when it comes to looks.
    Women are more shallow when it comes to money, status, job, etc.

Generally of course.
    It does depend from person to person.

• Oh for the love of god! We both are

• I think women are more shallow.

• Women :)

• Men... women let a whole lot more slide when the person they like is involved.

• men duuh
    everyone knows it